CBS AND INFINITY BROADCASTING ISSUE ANNUAL
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY REPORTS
Network and Radio Broadcaster Highlight Efforts Made in Community Outreach, Programming, Diversity Initiatives and Commitment to Local Artists
For the second year in a row, CBS has cataloged efforts by its television network, programming arms and local television stations in a 94-page Social Responsibility Report, which is being released today. The second edition spans the previous calendar year, encompassing activities of all divisions of CBS, including CBS Entertainment, CBS News, CBS Sports, the Viacom Television Stations Group and UPN. Additionally, for the first time, Infinity Broadcasting, owner of 184 market-leading stations, has issued a Social Responsibility Report highlighting its efforts in community outreach, programming and commitment to local artists.
Both reports are being released in hardcopy and electronic form, and are also available for download at www.cbspressexpress.com.
"We�ve always believed that being a corporate citizen and giving back to the communities we serve is not just good for business, but part of what it means to be a broadcaster,� said Leslie Moonves, Co-President and Co-Chief Operating Officer, Viacom and Chairman, CBS. �These reports highlight the efforts both CBS and Infinity have made in important areas like outreach, programming, dedication and support of local talent, and diversity, and they serve as a guide for us as we continue to make these missions a priority at the highest levels of this company.�
Included in the reports are activities in such areas as:
- Diversity Initiatives, including the recently-formed CBS Diversity Institute, its talent showcases and industry-partners, as well as the programs offered through CBS News and the Viacom Television Stations;
- Local public-interest programming like food and clothing drives, disaster preparedness, tax help and health seminars;
- On-air programs and events sponsored by Infinity Broadcasting stations highlighting music and performances by local musicians in their markets;
- Accessible Media programs like closed-captioning and Second Audio Programming, which CBS continues to be a leader in providing;
- National and local broadcast of public service announcements for causes like responsible drinking, child abuse prevention, HIV awareness, racial tolerance, alcohol and substance abuse, parenting, violence prevention and hunger/ disaster relief;
- �Infinity Radio Connect,� a series of national interviews and call-in specials with government leaders like Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, which were made available to many Infinity stations throughout the year;
- Local broadcasts of community parades, festivals and fund-raisers, as well as the sponsorship of hundreds of local community events like food and clothing drives and telethons;
- CBS News� coverage of the war in Iraq, including its �embedded� soldiers. Also highlighted are many of the hundreds of stories produced by CBS News that have affected � and in many cases benefited � the lives of viewers.
�We�re very proud to issue these two comprehensive reports � they are representative of the contributions our company has made throughout the country, on both a local and national level,� said Gil Schwartz, Executive Vice President, CBS Communications Group. �This is a yearly effort we make to highlight our achievements in these important areas.�
CBS Television is comprised of the CBS Television Network -- with more than 200 owned and affiliated stations reaching virtually every television home in the United States; the Network�s programming arms CBS Entertainment, CBS News and CBS Sports; and CBS Enterprises, a global leader in distribution.
Infinity Broadcasting is one of the largest major-market radio operators in the United States, with stations covering the news, modern rock, oldies, country, FM talk, classic rock and urban formats. A division of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIAB), Infinity operates 184 radio stations, the majority of which are in the nation�s top 50 markets and reach more than 70 million listeners a week and is also home to 29 of the country�s leading sports franchises amongst the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL.