Sharks Meet Their Murderous Match: ID's SHOCK WEEK Begins August 8
August may have gone to the sharks for some couch-surfing adrenaline seekers, but Investigation Discovery will have them ducking for cover in fear of people's real deadliest predator: each other.
Fresh off the fins of Shark Week, Investigation Discovery's SHOCK WEEK conjures seven days of the most shocking cases and surprising discoveries, from (bleep)ingly bizarre marriage secrets to jailbirds who escape prison by mailing themselves to freedom. SHOCK WEEK features sizzling season premieres and all-new episodes from Monday, August 8 to Sunday, August 14.
SHOCK WEEK brings the return of two popular series, with season two of I ESCAPED: REAL PRISON BREAKS premiering on Tuesday, August 9 and season two of UNUSUAL SUSPECTS premiering on Sunday, August 14.
I ESCAPED: REAL PRISON BREAKS
Season 2 Premieres Tuesday, August 9 at 9 and 9:30 PM ET
I ESCAPED: REAL PRISON BREAKS recounts incredible true stories of some of the greatest jailhouse escapes in history. Barred windows, barbed-wire fences, and maximum security couldn't keep these inmates behind bars as they refused to surrender to incarceration. Learn about some of the most elaborate escape routes, from the crime that landed these jailbirds under lock and key to the hatching of their plan and the moment they made a break for it.
· The Pact Premieres Tuesday, August 9 at 9 PM ET William Davis and Douglas Gray, convicted killers serving life sentences, mail themselves to freedom with help from their privileged jailhouse jobs making road signs, which requires frequent trips to a local post office. The prison's first escape proves to have a fatal outcome. The duo doesn't account for the weather and nearly freezes to death in the forest. A home invasion arms them with guns, but the fugitives eventually flee to a house and take hostages. Agitated and desperate, they reveal their suicide pact to the police, vowing never to go back behind bars. Location: Springtown, OK
Season 2 Premieres Sunday, August 14 at 10 PM ET
UNUSUAL SUSPECTS is showcase some of the most notable and challenging investigations in contemporary law enforcement. Each one-hour episode profiles completed cases that were anything but "cut and dry," with twists, turns, multiple suspects, and the unlikely culprit who almost got away with it.
· Never Came Home Premieres Sunday, August 14 at 10 PM ET In 1996 in a small Catskills town, 15-year-old Joey Martin sneaks out of his bedroom window to watch the Hyakutake comet pass by earth. Friends Martin was supposed to meet report that he never showed up, leaving detectives wondering if he's run away, been abducted, gotten hurt, or perhaps his habit of hitchhiking has brought him bad luck. Without a body or witnesses, the trail goes cold. Then in 2008, a young detective takes a fresh look at Joey's file, uncovering clues that lead to the shocking story of the teen's fate. Location: Kerhonkson, NY
BEHIND MANSION WALLS
Season 1 Finale Airs Monday, August 20 at 10 PM ET
What happens to the rich and privileged when money no longer buys happiness? BEHIND MANSION WALLS slips under the veil of wealth to reveal sensational stories of mystery and murder. With society journalist Christopher Mason, BEHIND MANSION WALLS chronicles the secret affairs, hidden accounts, and false identities that lurk in the shadows of America's gated communities.
· Secret Lives Premieres Monday, August 8 at 10 PM ET
· Sex Obsessions - Helmuth Buxbaum made his name and cash with a $20 million Canadian nursing home empire, but secretly he was a cocaine addict desperate to trade in his wife, Hanna, for a sexier object of desire. In an elaborate murder-for-hire plot, Buxbaum paid his drug dealer to snatch Hanna from their car in 1984 and shoot her while their nephew watched in horror. Prosecution noted that nearly $2 million had recently been withdrawn from Buxbaum's bank account and he took out a $1 million life insurance policy on Hanna. He died in prison in 2007 and his five children are still fighting over their inheritance. Location: Ontario
· Millionaire in Disguise - Fugitive Robert Durst was finally caught when he shoplifted a chicken salad sandwich in 2001. The 58-year-old was wanted for murders in Texas and California and for questioning in the 1982 disappearance of his wife. Heir to a billion-dollar New York real-estate empire, Durst was set for life until his brother was chosen to run the business. He quit in a huff, began cross-dressing and went on the run. Apprehended after he killed a neighbor, chopped him up, and disposed of the corpse in Galveston Bay, Durst claimed self-defense, and wound up serving only seven months in prison. Locations: Texas and California
WHO THE (BLEEP) DID I MARRY?
New Episodes Premiere Wednesdays at 10 PM ET
Pulling back the curtain on bizarre double lives, WHO THE (BLEEP) DID I MARRY? examines stories of couples in which one spouse has hidden a shocking secret. From bank robbers to bigamists and international spies, these sometimes shocking characters will have viewers shaking their heads in disbelief and wondering how the truths behind these scandalous spouses were kept hidden for so long.
· The Third Mrs. Smith Premieres Wednesday, August 10 at 10 PM ET With a few rocky marriages behind her, Diane Beasley thought she had finally found her soul mate in John Smith and they married after a whirlwind romance. Though she knew little about John's past, Diane was happy. That was, until she received a visit from the FBI. Her meek, geeky husband stood accused of murdering his first wife and was suspected of foul play in his second wife's disappearance. The investigation uncovered one secret after another, as Diane faced a horrifying realization that if she stayed with her husband, she could become the third missing Mrs. Smith. Location: Ohio
I MARRIED A MOBSTER
New Episodes Premiere Wednesdays at 10:30 PM ET
You see their lives portrayed in movies like Married to the Mob and Goodfellas, but rarely, if ever, do you hear them speak or get a glimpse into their lives. I Married a Mobster presents stories of the mob from a new perspective: the women who had unprecedented access into this secretive world, where breaking vows could literally get you killed. With reenactments, archival photos and interviews, each episode tells the back-story of one family's rise and fall from the first person point-of-view of the Mrs.
· Rat Trap Premieres Wednesday, August 10 at 10:30 PM ET At 26, Hollywood party scene regular Denyce Franzese vows to get sober. She finds redemption by working as a counselor at a rehab facility, but her life changes forever when John Franzese walks through the door. John is the junkie son of legendary gangster Sonny Franzese and has relocated to the West Coast to get clean. Denyce opens her heart and home to John, but fears he may relapse when he transforms from clean and sober charmer to manic nightmare. The truth becomes far more sinister, however, when John vanishes in one of the mafia's greatest betrayals. Location: Los Angeles
New Episodes Premiere Thursdays at 9 PM ET
WICKED ATTRACTION examines what happens in the mind of the "average" person when they fall under the spell of a sadistic predator. Forensic psychologists and criminal profilers uncover horrifying clues and reveal the true stories of people driven to commit murder together. This series investigates some of the most terrifying crimes in recent history and delves inside the criminal mind to explore the psychological motivations behind deadly duos.
· Good Deeds Punished Premieres Thursday, August 11 at 9 PM ET After elderly couple Reggie and Carol Sumner disappear from their home in 2005, loved ones fear the worst. Concern grows when their car is found abandoned an hour away and, ominously, the trunk holds shovels and a roll of duct tape. Withdrawals from their bank account made at ATMs in their old hometown of Charleston, SC, link to hotel rooms rented by former neighbor Tiffany Cole and three accomplices. Finally, one of them confesses that the foursome abducted the frail Sumners, forced them to disclose their ATM pin numbers, and then buried them alive in the Georgia wilderness. Location: Jacksonville, FL and Georgia
New Episodes Premiere Fridays at 10 PM ET
DEADLY WOMEN takes viewers on a journey into the bizarre world of women who kill for thrills. While male murderers are often driven by anger, impulse and destruction, women usually have more complex, long-term motives. Featuring Candice DeLong, a former FBI agent and criminal profiler, this series explores the psyche of female killers, showing what turns love affairs into fatal attractions or how twisted minds and dark secrets can send women on lethal rampages.
· Hearts of Stone Premieres Friday, August 12 at 10 PM ET Deadly women aren't always the criminals you expect. They're less often the strangers lurking in the dark, but rather the unsuspecting young mother, supportive wife or seemingly innocent grandmother. Behind their loving masquerade lies a wake of family horror and pain.
· Paula Sims claimed her 13-day-old daughter Loralei was abducted by an intruder in their home in 1986. In a strange twist of events, history seemed to repeat itself three years later, when her second daughter, 6-week-old Heather, was abducted by a lone, masked gunman. The story had little credence for police the first time around, and even less on the second, leaving Paula with a lot of explaining to do. Location: Illinois
· Lydia Sherman was one of the most infamous serial killers of the nineteenth century. Over the course of ten years, she poisoned and killed three husbands, five of her children and two stepchildren with arsenic. Convicted of second-degree murder in 1872, Sherman was dubbed the "Queen Poisoner" and lived the rest of her life in prison. Location: Manhattan and Stratford, CT
· Velma Barfield was a cold, manipulative, drug-addicted serial killer, although she looked like your average grandmother. Over a ten-year period, she got away with killing two husbands, her own mother and two elderly people before she was finally caught and convicted of murdering her de-facto, Stuart Taylor, and executed in 1984. Location: Lumberton, NC