[04/24/12 - 11:18 AM] Kurt Sutter Teams With Discovery Channel for New Series, "Kurt Sutter's Outlaw Empires," Premiering Monday, May 14 at 10PM The "Sons of Anarchy" creator "enters the realm of the gangs and families who have dominated our streets and helped shape our nation's history."
[via press release from Discovery]
KURT SUTTER TEAMS WITH DISCOVERY CHANNEL FOR NEW SERIES, "KURT SUTTER'S OUTLAW EMPIRES," PREMIERING MONDAY, MAY 14 AT 10PM
-- Six-Part Series Tells Insider Stories of the United States' Most Notorious Crime Rings -
(Los Angeles, Ca.) -- Behind the America you know lies another world, where people live outside the law. For the new Discovery Channel series KURT SUTTER'S OUTLAW EMPIRES, premiering Monday, May 14 at 10PM ET/PT and produced by Studio Lambert and Sutterink for Discovery, Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter enters the realm of the gangs and families who have dominated our streets and helped shape our nation's history.
Steered by Sutter's compelling insight, each episode of KURT SUTTER'S OUTLAW EMPIRES tells the complete story of an iconic American outlaw dynasty - directly from the mouths of people from the inside. Through their no-holds-barred accounts, the series takes an unvarnished look at moment-by-moment experiences that were not only pivotal for the organizations themselves, but life-changing for the individuals telling the stories.
Says executive producer Sutter, "I've made a career writing about fictitious anti-heroes. To create these worlds, I've spent a lot of time with active members on both sides of the law. And if I had to pick the most interesting of the two, the choice is obvious - we all love the guys in black." He continues, "This isn't about making a judgment call on who's good or bad. As a storyteller, I'm drawn to these personal, intimate accounts of why these men made the choices they made, and what it's like to be a member of an outlaw organization."
Featured in KURT SUTTER'S OUTLAW EMPIRES:
· Crips: One of the most violent and feared gangs in America, they started as a group of young boys determined to protect their turf & build their pride. How they grew, turned on each other, became corrupt & exploded is one of the most fascinating tales in American history. Premieres Monday, May 14 at 10PM ET/PT.
· Outlaw Bikers: Two generations of veterans returned from war to an America they no longer fit into. So they banded together around motorcycles, and spawned an outlaw dynasty that endures to this day.
· Irish Mob: At the core of every outlaw empire is the fundamental cornerstone of loyalty. But history shows that when loyalty fails, so does the empire. In the case of the Irish mob, the ultimate betrayal came when their leader turned out to be an FBI informant.
· Nuestra Familia: Members of this Latin group, forged in the California prison system, perfected a level of violence unparalleled in any gang. Their ultraviolence has become not only a method to control others and even their own members, but a badge of honor.
· Italian Mafia: They're the most notorious crime family in America, bound by blood and family. How they grew to become the country's most powerful crime syndicate, only to be taken down by their own members, is one of the most gripping tales in our history.
· Aryan Brotherhood: An outlaw empire will succeed only if its members become united behind some commonality. Few ideas could be more potent than that of the white supremacist movement in America.
KURT SUTTER'S OUTLAW EMPIRES is produced by Studio Lambert and Sutterink for Discovery Channel. Kurt Sutter is executive producer. For Studio Lambert, Eli Holzman, Stephen Lambert and Philip Lott are executive producers, and Christopher Meindl and Aaron Saidman are co-executive producers. For Discovery Channel, Cameo Wallace is executive producer.
About Studio Lambert
Studio Lambert is a fast-growing independent television production company based in London and Los Angeles. It specializes in creating and producing entertaining, non-scripted programs for the UK, US and international markets. It produces programs for a wide range of American and British networks including the Emmy nominated worldwide hit, Undercover Boss. Chief executive Stephen Lambert is responsible for ground-breaking programs in Britain and America such as Wife Swap, The Secret Millionaire, Faking It and, most recently, Undercover Boss. The US team is led by Eli Holzman, the former head and co-founder of Miramax Television, who created the award-winning hit Project Runway. Eli also developed and launched Beauty & the Geek and co-created Bravo's Work of Art: America's Next Great Artist. Studio Lambert is backed by All3Media, a global group of production companies and an international distribution company.
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 210 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com.
[05/25/18 - 11:09 PM] Development Update: Friday, May 25 Updates include: Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos announces fourth season pickup of "The Expanse"; Barbara Boxer to "Run" for FX; and Mick Betancourt joins Syfy's "Deadly Class" as co-showrunner.
[05/25/18 - 07:40 AM] Keith Olbermann to Expand Multi-Faceted ESPN Role Olbermann will combine select studio assignments with on-site opportunities, including calling the radio play-by-play with analyst Jim Bowden for Astros at Yankees on Memorial Day, Monday, May 28, at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN Radio.
[05/24/18 - 11:08 PM] Development Update: Thursday, May 24 Updates include: Lesley Ann Warren, Max Ehrich cast in Lifetime's "American Princess"; P.J. Byrne books return trip to "Big Little Lies"; and Janine Sherman Barrois, Michelle Nader ink overall deals with Warner Bros. Television.