MIKE "THE SITUATION" SORRENTINO AND "TEEN WOLF"'S TYLER POSEY TAKE YOUNG VOTERS' QUESTIONS TO CNN'S WOLF BLITZER IN MTV'S NEW "ASK WOLF" WEB SERIES
MTV News and the "Power of 12" to Air Special Coverage of The Presidential Debates with Andrew Jenks; MTV to Fact Check Debates Live on Twitter
New York, NY (October 16, 2012) - MTV today announced it will debut a new web series featuring Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino from the "Jersey Shore" and Tyler Posey from "Teen Wolf" asking CNN lead political anchor Wolf Blitzer from "The Situation Room" burning questions from young voters ahead of the Presidential election on November 6. The first two spots will premiere today, October 16, on Powerof12.org and MTVNews.com. Additionally, MTV News and MTV's election campaign, "Power of 12," will be on the ground with MTV News Correspondent and documentary filmmaker Andrew Jenks covering both remaining Presidential debates, and giving viewers special on-air and online coverage focused on what the candidates' positions mean for young people today. MTV will also continue to team up with FactCheck.org and FlackCheck.org to fact check the debate live via MTV's "Power of 12" twitter (@mtvpowerof12).
Following are additional details, and information on other select "Power of 12" initiatives taking place between now and November 6, 2012:
· Ask Wolf: Beginning today and leading up to Election Day, MTV.com and the Powerof12.org will debut a series of "Ask Wolf" spots where Tyler Posey of "Teen Wolf" and Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino from the "Jersey Shore" ask CNN's Wolf Blitzer burning questions from young voters. From the "Situation Room," Wolf will tackle topics like why your vote matters even if you don't live in a swing state, whether separation of church and state is still an American value, the pros and cons of voting for a third party candidate, how young people can influence the election and why they should care about it. To view the first two spots, click below:
· Wolf Answers "The Situation" from "The Situation Room" - "Will my vote matter if I don't live in a swing state?"
· One Wolf to Another - "What are the pros and cons of voting for a third party candidate?"
· Andrew Jenks on the Road: The face of MTV's 2012 election coverage, Award-winning documentary filmmaker and MTV News Correspondent Andrew Jenks is on the road again, talking to Millennials about the issues that are important to them and giving viewers' insight on what the candidates' positions mean for their generation. Jenks will report from the final two presidential debates, taking place on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 and Monday, October 22, 2012. Coverage will kick off with a pre-game "what you need to know," segment that breaks down what viewers can expect. Reporting will appear on-air on MTV and online on MTVNews.com.
· Fantasy Election '12: The signature element of MTV's "Power of 12" campaign, users can still sign up and begin forming leagues up until October 27, 2012. The game gives young people a new way to hold candidates accountable and rewards them for getting involved in the 2012 elections. Similar to Fantasy Football, "Fantasy Election '12" enables users to draft a team of candidates pursuing the presidency or congress, earning and losing points based on how their players behave in the real world. Candidate performance is determined by objective data, provided by a range of non-partisan organizations, in five key areas: constituent engagement, honesty, transparency, civility, and public opinion. Players can also earn bonus points for getting informed on political issues, by engaging and participating in the electoral process and by testing their political knowledge in daily challenges. Well over a thousand people have already won prizes ranging from big screen TVs to Lenovo Ultrabook laptops for playing "Fantasy Election '12," with daily and weekly giveaways continuing through Election Day. One grand prize winner will win a "Fantasy VMA Weekend" that includes a trip for the winner and three friends to attend the 2013 MTV "Video Music Awards," along with $25,000 cash. For more information or to start a league, head to FantasyElection.MTV.com.
· Voter Registration: MTV, MTV2 and mtvU will continue the drive to ensure young people don't miss their chance to register to vote. To do this, each network is airing state-specific voter registration messaging, informing young people of important local deadlines.
· Decoding the Election: MTV is continuing to help its audience decode the election throughout the final stretch with a series of daily items on MTV News, Powerof12.org, and MTV ACT ranging from weekly "Fantasy Election '12" playbook reports, the "What You Need to Know About" or #WYNTKA series, new content from "The Week in Politics Uncensored," and more.
Building on MTV's nearly 20-year Emmy and Peabody Award-winning political legacy with "Choose or Lose," MTV's "Power of 12" campaign is built specifically to reflect the Millennial generation and changes in the economic and political climate, and is designed to empower them to have a major impact on Election Day and beyond. Forty-five million 18-29 year olds will be eligible to vote in the 2012 election, representing the largest potential voting bloc in the country.
For information on MTV's "Power of 12" campaign please visit www.Powerof12.org or to follow MTV News' political coverage, head to www.MTV.com/news.
About Andrew Jenks:
Andrew Jenks is an award-winning filmmaker, creator of MTV's critically-acclaimed series "World of Jenks" and a correspondent for MTV's 2012 Election campaign, "Power of 12." As the face of MTV's "Power of 12" campaign, Jenks is charged with informing, engaging and amplifying the voices of his generation throughout the 2012 election. In the reinvented second season of "World of Jenks," Jenks will bring a new approach to his storytelling as he captures the unforgettable journeys of three young people and their unique experiences over the course of a year. His book ANDREW JENKS: MY ADVENTURES AS A YOUNG FILMMAKER comes out March 2013.
MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its Emmy(R), Grammy(R) and Peabody(R) award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. MTV's sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unparalleled customized content for young males, music fans and college students, and its online hub MTV.com is a leading destination for music, news and pop culture. MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.
About CNN lead political anchor Wolf Blitzer:
Wolf Blitzer is CNN's lead political anchor and the anchor of The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, CNN's fast-paced, political news program that provides up-to-the minute coverage of the day's events. The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer airs every weekday at 4 p.m. ET and in an abbreviated format on Saturday evenings at 6 p.m. ET. Blitzer has been with the network for more than 20 years.