ESPN to Televise ING New York City Marathon Live and in HD on Sunday, Nov. 4
ESPN will present the ING New York City Marathon live and in high definition on Sunday, November 4, which is set to take place despite the challenges imposed by Hurricane Sandy. ESPN will be running public service announcements to engage their viewers in Hurricane Sandy relief efforts throughout the telecast.
ESPN2 will televise the race nationally beginning at 9 a.m. ET. This marks the first time in nearly two decades that the famed road race is being televised live to a national audience. ESPN Deportes+ por ESPN3 will carry the event in Spanish, and the ESPN2 telecast will also be available (on computers, smartphones and tablets) via WatchESPN for those who receive video subscriptions from an affiliated provider. Local viewers will have access to pre-race and live marathon coverage on WABC-TV and 7online.com, beginning at 7 a.m. Additionally, a two-hour national broadcast will be available on ABC at 4 p.m. Highlights:
· A total of 39 HD cameras, including two helicopter cams
· Special graphics and animations
· Google Mapping applications
· A Sports Science feature
· Sports Media Isotrack: identifies each different runner in pack
· Wheelchair coverage
· Social Networking integration
· Cameras on First Avenue in Brooklyn
SportsCenter anchors Hannah Storm and John Anderson will serve as host and play-by-play for the ESPN2 telecast. They will be joined by analysts Carrie Tollefson and Tim Hutchings, reporters Lewis Johnson, Juli Benson, Ed Eyestone and David Willey (who will be running the course), and WABC-TV's sports anchors Rob Powers and Laura Behnke. John Del Giorno (helicopter), Kemberly Richardson and Jim Dolan will also report from the course. Additionally, ESPN's Georgina Ruiz Sandoval and Pablo Viruega will provide commentary for ESPN Deportes+ por ESPN3. Commentator release.
· Sports Science with Meb Keflezighi: ESPN Sport Science will use cutting-edge technology to analyze the biomechanics of one of the world's premiere marathon runners, Meb Keflezighi. The technology that �Meb' will wear -- both in the lab and running outdoors -- will measure various performance factors, including stride length, ground contact time and foot pronation.
· Kim Smith/Amy Hastings: Two elites vying to win the marathon are living and training together.
· Pine Ridge Reservation: Group running to raise awareness for their poverty-stricken reservation.
· Meb Keflezighi profile.
· Greatest NYC Marathon Moments ever.
ESPN Platforms Providing Related Coverage
· ESPN Radio: ESPN New York 98.7-FM will provide in-race updates as well as pre- and post-race coverage. The station will utilize the resources of ABC7 and ESPN to present reports and highlights throughout the day.
· ESPN.com: The new Endurance Sports page will feature six vignettes on great marathon moments, the interactive course map from ESPNNewYork and coverage from 7online and new content partner, Competitor Group.
· ESPNNewYork.com: ESPNNewYork.com is providing weekly features on New York runners leading up to the marathon as well as an interactive course map with the best places to watch the race. Race-day coverage, including news, highlights and a photo gallery, will be offered in conjunction with ESPN.com and WABC-TV.
· WatchESPN: Pre-race and live coverage of the ING NYC Marathon will be available at WatchESPN for fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider. Fans located in any of the five boroughs can follow the action at 7online.
· ESPN3: In addition to all-day coverage, ESPN3 (available online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and through ESPN on Xbox LIVE) will have an isolated camera feed of the finish line called Find Your Finish, which allows fans to see each runner complete the race in Central Park. This feed will also be available on replay so participants can watch themselves cross the finish line. Additionally, ESPN Deportes+ por ESPN3 will carry the event at 9 a.m. in Spanish language. Blackouts apply in the New York City area.
· espnW: espnW.com coverage of the ING New York City Marathon will include several pre-race features, a "Why I Run" page dedicated to 20 of this year's marathon runners and more.
ING NYC Marathon Schedule
Date Time (ET) Show Network(s)
Sun, Nov 4
7 a.m.-2 p.m. Pre-Race & ING NYC Marathon ESPN3 / WABC-TV / 7online
9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. ING NYC Marathon ESPN2 / WatchESPN / ESPN Deportes+
10 a.m.-3 p.m. Find Your Finish ESPN3
4-6 p.m. ING NYC Marathon Show ABC