[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[08/27/15 - 05:10 PM]
FOX Gives Midseason Drama "The Frankenstein Code" New Title of "Lookinglass"
The Rob Kazinsky-led drama is due in 2016 on the network.

[08/27/15 - 03:47 PM]
Video: VH1's "Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood" Season 2 Super Trailer
Premiering on Monday, September 7, the new cast is willing to lay it all on the line, striving to leave a permanent mark on the music industry despite sacrifices they may be forced to make.

[08/27/15 - 02:37 PM]
FXX to Air Special Mini-Marathon of "Archer's" Greatest Loves
Sterling Archer is reflecting on some of his greatest loves from the past with a special mini-marathon airing Saturday, September 26 from 10 PM - 1 AM ET/PT.

[08/27/15 - 01:54 PM]
"Compared to What: The Improbable Journey of Barney Frank" Set to Premiere on Friday, October 23rd on Showtime(R)
The film is an intimate, rollicking and entertaining look behind-the-scenes at the public and private life of one of America's greatest and, at times, controversial legislators.

[08/27/15 - 01:36 PM]
TLC Heads Back for a Second Push of "Labor Games"
The season premieres Tuesday, September 15 at 8:00/7:00c with two back-to-back episodes.

[08/27/15 - 01:08 PM]
TV One's "Welcome to the Family" Reunites Half & Half Co-Stars Valarie Pettiford and Telma Hopkins
The film centers on Stella, an internet producer (Kali Hawk), who has to learn how to balance her personal and professional lives.

[08/27/15 - 12:48 PM]
"Celebrity Name Game" Rolls Out the Red Carpet More Celebrity Guests, More Comedy, More Fun Than Ever!
Hosted by funnyman Craig Ferguson and executive produced by Courteney Cox and David Arquette, the syndicated, half-hour weekday strip premieres Monday, September 21.

[08/27/15 - 11:43 AM]
Treasure Hunters Dig Deep Into American History to Search for Vanished Fortune on the Series Premiere of "Rebel Gold" Airing Tuesday, Sept 15 on Discovery
The project is an all-new series that follows an experienced group treasure hunters as they join forces to retrace Jefferson Davis' trail and search for clues that could lead them to the legendary treasure.

[08/27/15 - 11:30 AM]
Betty White to Guest-Star on FOX Drama "Bones"
She'll play an accomplished, sharp as a tack, absolutely fabulous squintern who is brought in to assist in a murder linked to fantasy football - which just happens to be one of her many areas of expertise.

[08/27/15 - 11:21 AM]
Animal Planet's "Tanked" Delivers Marvelous Masterpieces to Megastars, MVPs, Magicians and Musicians
Look for the first of 10 new episodes on Friday, September 18 at 10:00/9:00c.

[08/27/15 - 11:09 AM]
Jimmy Fallon Tops His Broadcast Competition for the Late-Night Ratings Week of Aug. 17-21 in All Key Categories
NBC spins the late-night numbers for the week of August 17-21.

[08/27/15 - 11:01 AM]
TBS Orders Two More Seasons of "American Dad!"
In November, the network announced a 22-episode order for season 11, which is set to air on TBS and Adult Swim in early 2016.

[08/27/15 - 10:50 AM]
Video: Showtime(R) Releases the Official Trailer for the Emmy(R) Nominated Outstanding Drama Series "Homeland"
Season five will pick up two years after Carrie Mathison's (Claire Danes) ill-fated tenure as Islamabad station chief.

[08/27/15 - 10:50 AM]
All-New Dance Docuseries "Step It Up" Premieres September 25 on Lifetime
Traci Young-Byron, a former Miami Heat Dancer and longtime team captain, is the owner of the elite dance company, the Young Contemporary Dance Theatre (YCDT).

[08/27/15 - 10:26 AM]
A&E and LMN to Premiere Two New Documentaries Chronicling the Troubling Persona of O.J. Simpson and the Criminal and Civil Trials Against Him
A&E will premiere the two-hour special "O.J. Speaks: The Hidden Tapes" on Thursday, October 1 at 9:00/8:00c.