[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[11/21/14 - 03:07 PM]
Netflix to Premiere Globally in March 2015 the New Tina Fey and Robert Carlock Comedy Series Starring Ellie Kemper
"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" was originally slated to premiere on NBC and instead will now launch exclusively across all Netflix territories.

[11/21/14 - 01:30 PM]
Disney XD to Sneak Preview New Original Series "Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero" on Friday, December 5
Emmy Award-winner Henry Winkler guest stars as The Snowman.

[11/21/14 - 01:28 PM]
Feast with the Titans in a Special Thanksgiving Episode of "Teen Titans Go!" Airing Wednesday, November 26, at 5:30 p.m. ET/PT
In addition, the Titans have a lot to be thankful for as the action-comedy series continues to be a strong performer on Cartoon Network.

[11/21/14 - 01:08 PM]
Emmy(R) and Tony Award(R) Winner Ellen Barkin to Guest Star on "Happyish" on Showtime(R)
She's set as Dani Kirschenbloom, a headhunter who works closely with Thom Payne (Steve Coogan).

[11/21/14 - 12:52 PM]
CBS Celebrates the Holidays with Very Merry Episodes
These original episodes join the previously announced holiday music specials as well as perennial holiday favorites.

[11/21/14 - 12:02 PM]
VH1 to Air Special Encore Presentation of "Behind the Music: Aaliyah" on Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 6PM and 10PM
Aaliyah's family members participated in the original production in 2001 and her brother approved the additions made in the updated 2012 version, which will be seen on Sunday.

[11/21/14 - 11:00 AM]
Season Three Premiere of Bounce TV's "Off The Chain" Series Reaches Over 1.7 Million Viewers
Bounce TV spins the numbers for Wednesday, November 19.

[11/21/14 - 10:24 AM]
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Announces 2015 Premiere Dates for Returning Favorite Series and an All-New Network Special
"The Haves and the Have Nots," "Love Thy Neighbor" and "Raising Whitley" are among the returning class.

[11/21/14 - 10:06 AM]
Spike TV to Premiere "Lip Sync Battle" from Jimmy Fallon's Eight Million Plus Productions, John Krasinski and Stephen Merchant
The announcement was made by Jimmy Fallon last night on "The Tonight Show" during his interview with Stephen Merchant.

[11/21/14 - 10:06 AM]
"Home & Family" Primetime Holiday Special Premieres on Hallmark Channel November 24th
Candace Cameron Bure, Lacey Chabert, Genie Francis and Marilu Henner are among the scheduled guests.

[11/21/14 - 09:46 AM]
First Look Photo from the New Season of the Hit Showtime(R) Drama Series "Penny Dreadful"
The new season is currently in production in Dublin, Ireland for a 2015 debut on the network.

[11/21/14 - 09:17 AM]
William Shatner Joins "Haven" Cast As Recurring Guest Star
Shatner will play a pivotal character that has the potential to forever impact the fate of the town of Haven and its troubled residents.

[11/21/14 - 09:02 AM]
FX and FXX Set January Premiere Dates for New and Returning Series
"Justified," "The Americans," "Archer," "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" and newcomer "Man Seeking Woman" are all due in January.

[11/21/14 - 08:56 AM]
"Parenthood" Is Up Week to Week by 40% in 18-49 Rating to Season High
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, November 20.

[11/21/14 - 08:43 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Tops Viewers, Demos with Fall Finales
"Grey's Anatomy," "Scandal" and "How to Get Away with Murder" power the Alphabet in front last night.