[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[04/23/18 - 02:02 PM]
Hulu's "Harlots" Will Be Heating Up the Summer
The critically acclaimed, salacious series returns with a bang on Wednesday, July 11 with two episodes, with subsequent installments releasing weekly.

[04/23/18 - 02:01 PM]
The Academy and ABC Announce Key Dates for 91st Oscars(R) - "The Oscars" Airs Live, Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019, on ABC
Nominations will be announced on Tuesday, January 22.

[04/23/18 - 01:38 PM]
Award-Winning Journalist Gretchen Carlson Returns to Television with Overall Deal at A+E Networks
First up: "The Brave with Gretchen Carlson," which will focus on how Gretchen's courageous actions to confront the scourge of sexual harassment in the workplace has served as a catalyst for so many other women to say #MeToo.

[04/23/18 - 01:08 PM]
Martha Stewart Joins Food Network as Newest "Chopped" Judge
Joining host Ted Allen, and series regulars Maneet Chauhan, Scott Conant, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli, Marc Murphy, Marcus Samuelsson, Chris Santos and Geoffrey Zakarian, Martha will bring her culinary expertise to the judges' table.

[04/23/18 - 11:31 AM]
Logo to Exclusively Air Eurovision Song Contest Grand Finale in the U.S. for Third Consecutive Year
"Logo is thankful to once again partner with the EBU as the exclusive U.S. broadcaster for the global phenomenon that is the Eurovision Song Contest," said Pamela Post.

[04/23/18 - 11:08 AM]
Couples Still Fighting for a Fairy Tale Ending on a New Season of TLC's "90 Day Fiance: Happily Ever After?"
Nine two-hour episodes will end with a two-part Tell All where we'll hear from the couples on everything that went down this season.

[04/23/18 - 11:08 AM]
Oxygen Media Renews "Cold Justice" and "Criminal Confessions" from Executive Producer Dick Wolf
Both series are in pre-production and are set to return in 2018.

[04/23/18 - 11:01 AM]
"Fast & Furious" Races Onto Netflix as Part of Expanded Relationship with DreamWorks Animation Television
In the series, teenager Tony Toretto follows in the footsteps of his cousin Dom when he and his friends are recruited by a government agency to infiltrate an elite racing league serving as a front for a nefarious crime organization bent on world domination.

[04/23/18 - 09:31 AM]
Viola Davis and Julius Tennon's Documentary Series, "The Last Defense," to Premiere Tuesday, June 12, on ABC
The seven-episode docu-series explores and exposes flaws in the American justice system through emotional, in-depth examinations of the death row cases of Darlie Routier and Julius Jones.

[04/23/18 - 09:01 AM]
Video: Netflix Debuts Trailer for "The Rain"
In Netflix's post-apocalyptic YA thriller, two Danish siblings emerge from the safety of their bunker six years after a brutal virus carried by the rain wipes out almost all humans in Scandinavia.

[04/23/18 - 09:00 AM]
CBS All Access Launches in Canada
CBS All Access is available beginning today in Canada at cbsallaccess.ca, on iOS and Android mobile and tablet devices, and on Apple TV and Chromecast.

[04/23/18 - 08:48 AM]
TBS Renews Ratings Juggernaut "The Last O.G." for a Second Season and Critically Acclaimed "Search Party" for a Third Season
Plus: "Search Party" executive producers Sarah-Violet Bliss and Charles Rogers, who created the series with executive producer Michael Showalter, have inked an overall deal with TBS.

[04/23/18 - 08:18 AM]
Sunday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, "American Idol" Reclaim Demo Crown
The Alphabet tops the night among adults 18-49 while CBS is the most-watched network.

[04/23/18 - 08:15 AM]
Start Your Engines for an All-New Season of Discovery Channel's "Street Outlaws"
Look for a special two-hour premiere on Monday, May 28 at 8:00/7:00c.

[04/23/18 - 07:31 AM]
Video: A Boy and His... Robot? Netflix's "Lost in Space" Reimagines the Classic Friendship
Will Robinson and the Robot form an unexpected, unbreakable bond that could mean the difference between life and death for the Robinsons.