[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[11/26/14 - 11:15 AM]
Watch a Sneak Peek at a Special Bite-Sized "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" Airing Thanksgiving, After the Football Game, on FOX
Said installment, guest starring Eva Longoria, then airs in full on Sunday, November 30 at 8:30/7:30c.

[11/26/14 - 10:45 AM]
NBCSN Delivers Best F1 Season Ever for a Single Cable Network
NBCSN spins the numbers for its F1 coverage to date this season.

[11/26/14 - 10:45 AM]
Six Groups Battle for First Place on Wednesday, Dec. 17 in the Two-Hour Special Edition of "The Sing-Off"
Returning judges Jewel and Shawn Stockman will be joined by Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump while Nick Lachey is once again set as host.

[11/26/14 - 09:56 AM]
TNT Offers On-Demand Sneak Peek of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's New Series "Wake Up Call"
Fans will be able to watch the sneak peek episode through the Watch TNT app & www.tntdrama.com starting Thanksgiving Day.

[11/26/14 - 09:45 AM]
Nick Jonas to Perform Hit Single "Jealous" from Self-Titled Album on Monday, Dec. 1 Telecast of "The Voice"
Hot country newcomer RaeLynn is also set to perform on the Tuesday, December 2 telecast.

[11/26/14 - 09:14 AM]
NBCSN Presents "NASCAR America" Specials Recapping the Thrilling Top Moments of 2014
The specials began airing during "NASCAR America's" 30-minute 5 p.m. ET time slot on Nov. 19, with new episodes debuting Dec. 1, 2, 10 and 11, and culminating on Dec. 16 with the Top 20 Moments of 2014.

[11/26/14 - 09:08 AM]
CBS to Broadcast Special Editions of "The Late Late Show," Jan. 5 - March 6
Judd Apatow, Will Arnett, Wayne Brady, Drew Carey, Jim Gaffigan, Billy Gardell, Sean Hayes, Thomas Lennon, John Mayer and Kunal Nayyar are among the scheduled guest hosts.

[11/26/14 - 08:52 AM]
"The Voice" Ranks #1 in Adults 18-34 and All Key Adult-Female Demos in Its Time Period
NBC spins the numbers for Tuesday, November 25.

[11/26/14 - 08:37 AM]
ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Jumps to Season Highs for Its Top Finale Performance in 4 Seasons
ABC spins the numbers for Tuesday, November 25.

[11/26/14 - 08:31 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: "Dancing with the Stars" Gives ABC First Demo Win of the Season
The Alphabet also leads the night among total viewers.

[11/26/14 - 08:14 AM]
USSA, NBC Sports Group and Universal Sports Network to Provide Unprecedented Coverage of 2014-15 U.S. Ski and Snowboarding Season
The partnership will result in a record 67 of hours of coverage this season across NBC, NBCSN, and Universal Sports.

[11/26/14 - 08:07 AM]
New Survey from National Geographic Channel and Kelton Global Timed to the Premiere of "Sleepless in America" Finds That Most Americans Sleep Less Than Eight Hours a Night
What's more alarming is that our efforts to get more rest could actually be doing more harm than good.

[11/25/14 - 05:08 PM]
Remaining Episodes of "Selfie" Will Be Available Weekly Starting Today on Hulu with a Plus Subscription
The series previously aired Tuesday nights at 8:00/7:00c on ABC.

[11/25/14 - 01:52 PM]
Hallmark Channel's "Countdown to Christmas" Is the Most Watched Network Among Women 25-54 for 4th Consecutive Weekend
The Hallmark Channel spins the numbers for Saturday, November 22 and Sunday, November 23.

[11/25/14 - 01:35 PM]
Video: Six New Videos for "Archer" Season Six
The electrifying new season of "Archer" premieres January 8 on FX.