[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[08/01/15 - 11:35 AM]
2015 PBS Arts Fall Festival Celebrates Fifth Anniversary Season
The 2015 PBS Arts Fall Festival returns October 9 at 9:00/8:00c, celebrating its fifth season, with eight new weekly programs.

[08/01/15 - 11:25 AM]
Disney's "Descendants" Waves Magic Ratings Wand for Disney Channel with 6.6 Million Total Viewers
Disney Channel spins the numbers for Friday, July 31.

[08/01/15 - 09:50 AM]
New Episodes of "Super Why!" Soar Onto PBS Kids Starting August 17
Developed for children ages 3-6, the series helps kids explore reading and the alphabet, word families, spelling, comprehension and vocabulary as they follow their favorite Storybrook Village characters on interactive adventures.

[08/01/15 - 09:49 AM]
PBS Kids Premieres All-New Movie, "Curious George 3: Back to the Jungle"
In this adventure-filled feature-length movie, Curious George takes a trip to space but crash-lands in the jungles of Africa, leading to an unforgettable journey with new animal friends.

[08/01/15 - 08:54 AM]
Friday's "Dateline" Hits Three-Week Highs in 18-49 and Total Viewers
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, July 31.

[08/01/15 - 08:45 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: "Dateline" Powers NBC to Demo Victory
The Peacock leads the night among adults 18-49 for the fifth consecutive week.

[07/31/15 - 04:01 PM]
Raven-Symone Returns to Disney Channel to Guest Star in a Special Episode of Hit Spy Comedy "K.C. Undercover," Monday, September 7
The special one hour episode featuring a tour de force of audacious physical comedy, imagination and unexpected disguises, premieres on said Monday.

[07/31/15 - 03:50 PM]
The CW Sets New Season Premiere Date for "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and "Jane the Virgin"
Both series will now roll out one week earlier, on Monday, October 12.

[07/31/15 - 03:33 PM]
AMC's Martial Arts Drama Series "Into the Badlands" to Premiere Sunday, November 15th at 10:00 P.M. ET/PT
The series premiere will coincide with AMC's newest movie event, "AMC FightFest," a two-week martial arts movie marathon beginning Monday, November 2 through Friday, November 13.

[07/31/15 - 03:32 PM]
AMC Confirms 15-Episode Order for Second Season of "Fear the Walking Dead"
As previously announced, the series will debut in the U.S. Sunday, August 23 at 9:00/8:00c with an extended 90-minute episode.

[07/31/15 - 03:31 PM]
AMC Places Straight-to-Series Order for "The West" (WT) from Executive Producers Robert Redford and Stephen David Entertainment
In addition, AMC announced today that "The Making of The Mob," also executive produced by Stephen David Entertainment.

[07/31/15 - 01:37 PM]
"Shadowhunters" Star Alberto Rosende to Participate in a Live Twitter Chat with Fans on Tuesday, August 4
Starting at 12:00pm PT/3:00pm ET, fans can tweet Alberto Rosende (@arosende) using #AskAlberto in their message.

[07/31/15 - 01:01 PM]
Starz Releases All New "Blunt Talk" Key Art and Trailer, First Look Photo of Lucy Lawless in "Ash vs Evil Dead," and "Survivor's Remorse" Trailer from TCA
"Blunt Talk" and "Survivor's Remorse" both kick off on Saturday, August 22 on the pay channel.

[07/31/15 - 11:58 AM]
BBC America Announces Two New Original Scripted Series and Original Scripted Development Slate
"Undercover", a gripping political thriller from acclaimed writer Peter Moffat starring Sophie Okonedo and Adrian Lester, and "Thirteen," a compelling contemporary mystery from rising star Marnie Dickens, are both on tap for 2016.

[07/31/15 - 11:20 AM]
Starz to Offer Subscribers Online and On-Demand Bingeing Opportunities for "Flesh and Bone" Limited Series and "Da Vinci's Demons" Final Season
All episodes will be available exclusively for subscribers, timed with their respective first episode premieres on October 24 and November 8.