[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[10/21/14 - 03:02 PM]
Season Premiere of TBS's "American Dad!" Tops Basic Cable Entertainment Programs for the Night
TBS spins the numbers for Monday, October 20.

[10/21/14 - 02:19 PM]
Chris Brown, Jodeci, Jeremih and More Confirmed to Take the Stage During "Soul Train Awards 2014"
Presenters Trey Songz, Boris Kodjoe, Laila Ali and Wolf Blitzer will join host Wendy Williams on stage at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas on November 7, for a November 30 air date.

[10/21/14 - 02:18 PM]
"Monday Night Football" Helps ESPN Win the Night
ESPN spins the numbers for Monday, October 20.

[10/21/14 - 01:28 PM]
VH1 and Spotify Partner to Crown "You Oughta Know Artist of the Year" at 2nd Annual "You Oughta Know Live in Concert" Event on Thursday, November 13 at 9 PM ET/PT on VH1
A Great Big World, Aloe Blacc, American Authors, Bleachers, CHVRCHES, Echosmith, KONGOS, Mary Lambert, Tove Lo, Vance Joy, and Sam Smith are among the class of 2014.

[10/21/14 - 12:57 PM]
Notre Dame-Florida State: Most-Viewed October College Football Telecast across All Networks on Record
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, October 18.

[10/21/14 - 12:40 PM]
Hallmark Channel Original Movie, "My Boyfriends' Dogs," Elevates Network to Rate #1 Among Households in Primetime
The Hallmark Channel spins the numbers for Saturday, October 18.

[10/21/14 - 12:09 PM]
The CW Announces Full Season Orders for "The Flash" and "Jane the Virgin"
"The Flash" debuted as the most-watched series premiere ever on The CW, scoring 6.1 million viewers in Live + 3 Day Nielsen ratings.

[10/21/14 - 11:55 AM]
FX Cancels "The Bridge" After Two Seasons
The network has released a statement indicating the series won't be returning.

[10/21/14 - 11:29 AM]
TBS Leads the Pack as Basic Cable's #1 Entertainment Network Among Total Viewers in Primetime and Ranking Among the Top 3 with Adults 18-49
Turner spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:50 AM]
NBC Wins the Week of Oct. 13-19 Among the Big 4 in 18-49 and Every Other Key Demo
NBC spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:43 AM]
ABC Ranks No. 1 in the Non-Sports Adult 18-49 Averages, Delivering 6 of the Week's Top 20 TV Programs - The Most for Any Net
ABC spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:42 AM]
"Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2014," Returns to ABC Primetime December 14, 9-11 PM ET
Oprah Winfrey, Neil Patrick Harris, Chelsea Handler and Scarlett Johansson are among those selected for the annual special.

[10/21/14 - 10:39 AM]
TLC Orders New Series Hosted by Roma Downey
The six-episode series will explore the stories of people who claim that they've experienced modern-day miracles, incredible twists of fate, and phenomena that logic and science cannot explain.

[10/21/14 - 10:24 AM]
CBS Wins Fourth Straight Week to Start the Season
CBS spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.

[10/21/14 - 10:19 AM]
Nickelodeon Wins the Week with Kids and Total Viewers
Nickelodeon spins the numbers for the week of October 13-19.