[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[09/17/14 - 01:35 PM]
ABC Family's "100 Days Until Christmas" Campaign a Social Media Hit on Facebook
"Pretty Little Liars" continues to be dominate on Twitter, ranking as TV's #1 most-tweeted TV drama series of Summer 2014.

[09/17/14 - 01:35 PM]
The Viral Video Show That Started It All, "America's Funniest Home Videos," Celebrates 25th Anniversary with Maker Studios Content Partnership Anchored by Original Clip Show "ShayFV" Starring Shay Carl
The original content initiative extends an existing relationship between Vin Di Bona Productions and Maker Studios.

[09/17/14 - 01:34 PM]
Former President Bill Clinton to Appear on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" Thursday, September 18 at 11 p.m. ET/PT
President Clinton will preside over the 10th Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting, which takes place next week (September 21-24) in New York City.

[09/17/14 - 01:33 PM]
A+E Networks(R) Hits 22 Million Downloads with TV Everywhere Apps
The free, ad-supported TV Everywhere apps offer fans access to full episodes, movies and exclusive clips of their favorite A+E Networks HD programming.

[09/17/14 - 12:44 PM]
TBS to Celebrate 20 Years of "Friends" with 20-Episode Marathon on Sept. 22
"We're thrilled to be celebrating Friends' 20th anniversary by giving fans the chance to choose their favorite episodes for TBS's 20-episode marathon," said Phil Oppenheim.

[09/17/14 - 12:38 PM]
SundanceTV Celebrates Academy(R) Award Winner Danny Boyle
In honor of his upcoming series "Babylon," SundanceTV is featuring an evening-long celebration of the renowned director, including the original long form episode that inspired the series of the same name.

[09/17/14 - 12:24 PM]
HGTV's "Love It or List It" Begins Production in Raleigh-Durham
Producers at Big Coat Productions are actively seeking potential homeowners who are torn between renovating their existing home and relocating to a new residence.

[09/17/14 - 12:16 PM]
TV Land Hosts a Two-Day Marathon for the 30th Anniversary of "The Cosby Show"
The marathon begins Saturday, September 20 at 2pm with fan favorite episode, "How Ugly Is He?"

[09/17/14 - 12:15 PM]
FX Networks Announces 2014 New York Comic Con Schedule
"The Americans," "Archer" and "The League" are the among the network's shows being featured.

[09/17/14 - 12:01 PM]
Sit Back, Relax and Enjoy Television's Most Buzzworthy Moments as Bravo Media's "The People's Couch" Returns Tuesday, October 7 at 10PM ET/PT
This documentary series turns the cameras around on everyone's favorite couchers as they share their sentiments - whether good, bad or ugly - on this Fall's buzziest and most talked about "water cooler" series.

[09/17/14 - 11:59 AM]
"The 50 Year Argument," An Inside Look at the New York Review of Books, Debuts Sept. 29, Exclusively on HBO; Martin Scorsese and David Tedeschi Direct
The film marks Scorsese's third documentary to be presented on HBO, and Tedeschi's first co-directing project with Scorsese.

[09/17/14 - 11:14 AM]
Oxygen Media Goes Mad for New Series "My Crazy Love" Premiering Tuesday, October 28 at 10PM ET/PT
Each week, real people share their personal stories about a time in their life when the intoxication of love led them to extreme behavior and embarrassing acts.

[09/17/14 - 11:13 AM]
Discovery Channel and BBC Track One of the World's Rarest Animals in "Last Tiger Standing"
The one-hour special premieres Thursday, September 25 at 10:00/9:00c on the network.

[09/17/14 - 10:52 AM]
Time to Set the DVR: A Guide to CMT's Fall Lineup
Among the newly announced dates are the return of "Redneck Island" and two one-hour specials from "Party Down South."

[09/17/14 - 10:29 AM]
PBS to Present "America After Ferguson" Friday, September 26, 2014, 8-9 p.m. ET
The special will be taped before an audience on Sunday, September 21, at the Touhill Performing Arts Center on the campus of the University of Missouri-St. Louis.