[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[08/29/16 - 02:28 PM]
NBC's "The New Celebrity Apprentice," "Grimm" and "Emerald City" Receive January Debut Dates
"Grimm" will begin its sixth and final season on Friday, January 6 at 8:00/7:00c.

[08/29/16 - 12:24 PM]
Nickelodeon Takes Skateboarding to New Heights in "Jagger Eaton's Mega Life," New Docu-Series Premiering Friday, Sept. 9, at 7:30 P.M. (ET/PT)
The 20-episode series follows Eaton as he immerses himself in the world of his sports idols - Chris Bosh, Leticia Bufoni, Bubba Wallace, Larry Fitzgerald, Erika Lang, to name a few, who are pushing their limits and inspiring others to do the same.

[08/29/16 - 12:03 PM]
Freeform Announces the Series Finale of "Pretty Little Liars" and Premiere of I. Marlene King's New Series "Famous in Love"
Freeform announced the news today via a Facebook live interview with creator and showrunner I. Marlene King and cast members Troian Bellisario, Ashley Benson, Lucy Hale, Shay Mitchell and Sasha Pieterse.

[08/29/16 - 11:59 AM]
Tori Amos Contributes Original Song "Flicker" to Netflix's Upcoming Documentary Audrie & Daisy
"Flicker" will be available on all major digital platforms on Friday, September 9.

[08/29/16 - 11:57 AM]
Showtime(R) Sets World Television Premiere of Award-Winning Documentary Film "Weiner"
Directed and produced by Josh Kriegman and Elyse Steinberg, the critically-acclaimed documentary will premiere Saturday, October 22 at 9:00/8:00c.

[08/29/16 - 11:26 AM]
Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale Lead Twelve Hopeless Bakers in an Intense Boot Camp on Food Network's "Worst Bakers in America"
The two stars of sweets attempt to mold these masters of cake-wrecks and colossal cookie-fails until one vastly-improved wannabe baker rises to the level of pastry perfection.

[08/29/16 - 11:11 AM]
David Boyd Joins as Producer/Director on Spike & TWC-Dimension Television Series "The Mist"
"I'm honored to be working alongside Christian Torpe and all his incisive talent, and all the focused people at Spike and Dimension," said Boyd.

[08/29/16 - 10:37 AM]
Video: #LoweRoast Preview Clips - Peyton Manning on a New Career Opportunity for Rob, Jewel Disses Ann Coulter
Look for the full telecast this Monday, September 5 on Comedy Central.

[08/29/16 - 10:35 AM]
Travel Channel Reveals the Compelling Challenges and Stories Behind Mount Everest Climbs in "Everest Air"
Each hour-long episode provides a rare glimpse into the exhilarating encounters and unrivaled majesty that compel climbers to take on the world's highest peak.

[08/29/16 - 10:16 AM]
The CW Unveils Fall 2016 Key Art
Check out the posters for "Frequency," "No Tomorrow" and "Supergirl."

[08/29/16 - 10:12 AM]
TNT Orders "Let the Right One In" Pilot from Tomorrow Studios
Marty Adelstein, Becky Clements, Jeff Davis and Simon Oakes are behind the project, an adaptation of the best-selling novel by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist.

[08/29/16 - 10:07 AM]
Emily Watson to Star as Elsa Einstein in "Genius" from National Geographic Channel, Imagine Television and Fox 21 Television Studios
She'll play Elsa Einstein, the second wife - and first cousin - of the enigmatic scientist Albert Einstein.

[08/29/16 - 09:01 AM]
Miranda Lambert to Receive ACM Merle Haggard Spirit Award at the "10th Annual ACM Honors(TM)," Which Makes Its Television Debut Friday, Sept. 9, on CBS
This new award honors uncompromising artists in the spirit of Merle Haggard, while acknowledging a man who has figured prominently in ACM history.

[08/29/16 - 09:00 AM]
"Celebrity Name Game" Is Back! Syndicated Series Hosted by Two-Time Daytime Emmy(R) Winner Craig Ferguson Premieres for Its Third Season on Monday, September 19, 2016
The syndicated, half-hour weekday strip is executive produced by Courteney Cox and David Arquette.

[08/29/16 - 08:59 AM]
"Family Feud" Celebrates 40 Years! All-New Season to Premiere on Monday, September 12, 2016
"Can you believe 'Family Feud' is 40 years old?" said Steve Harvey. "I'm thrilled to be part of this amazing milestone and wish it many more decades of success."