[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[07/27/14 - 09:35 AM]
Video: Watch the Video of the Cast at the "Sleepy Hollow" Fan Experience
Nicole Beharie, Tom Mison, Orlando Jones, Katia Winter and Lyndie Greenwood talk about season two at the "Sleepy Hollow" Haunted Barn.

[07/26/14 - 10:47 PM]
Video: "Constantine" Preview Trailer
This hot new trailer was unveiled on Saturday, July 26.

[07/26/14 - 10:46 PM]
Video: New Warner Bros. Television & DC Comics Logos
Check out the cards for "The Flash," "Constantine," "Gotham" and "Arrow."

[07/26/14 - 10:45 PM]
Video: "Arrow" Season 3 Preview - with Ra's al Ghul!
Watch the newly extended first look at the new season!

[07/26/14 - 07:34 PM]
Video: "Person of Interest" Season 3 Highlight Reel and Season 4 Sneak Peek
Check out the sizzle reel from today's panel, including a first look at season four!

[07/26/14 - 07:33 PM]
Video: "Constantine" Bear McCreary Scoring Video
Highly acclaimed composer and Comic-Con favorite Bear McCreary scored the pilot episode and will also be the composer for the series.

[07/26/14 - 04:59 PM]
FOX Invites Fans to Create Their Own "Gotham" Origin-al Fan Posters or Cinematic Trailers
Fans should visit fox.com/gothamcontest to full details and to submit.

[07/26/14 - 04:24 PM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "The Simpsons" Panel Highlights
Plus: get your first look at the season premiere episode, "Clown in the Dumps."

[07/26/14 - 01:32 PM]
Video: Starz Releases Opening Title Sequence from "Outlander" Debuted at the San Diego Comic-Con World Premiere
The opening showcases never-before-seen footage from the series, along with an arrangement of the "Skye Boat Song" by composer Bear McCreary featuring the vocals of Raya Yarbrough.

[07/26/14 - 11:30 AM]
Disney XD Orders Second Season of Hit Animated Series "Marvel's Avengers Assemble" and "Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."
Both series are in production and slated to premiere this fall on Marvel Universe on Disney XD.

[07/26/14 - 09:52 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Sleepy Hollow" Panel Highlights
The cast of "Sleepy Hollow" all say what they would like to see happen in season two during the panel at Comic-Con.

[07/26/14 - 09:51 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Bob's Burgers" Panel Highlights
Is Louise ready for love? Would you eat at Bob's Burgers if it were a real restaurant? The fans ask the tough questions of the Bob's cast.

[07/26/14 - 09:50 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Wayward Pines" Panel Highlights
Executive Producer M. Night Shyamalan and star Matt Dillon share stories about FOX's intense new event series.

[07/26/14 - 09:49 AM]
Video: Comic-Con 2014 - "Bones" Panel Highlights
Join David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel as they tease the upcoming tenth season and Emily's upcoming directorial debut.

[07/25/14 - 07:06 PM]
Video: "The Originals" Season 2 First Look Video
After a fairytale recap, fans were treated to one mother of a first look at the upcoming second season to kick off the panel.