[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[12/12/17 - 01:00 PM]
Video: TBS Debuts "The Detour" Season 3 Trailer and Artwork
The third season premieres on Tuesday, January 23 at 10:30/9:30c on the cable channel.

[12/12/17 - 01:00 PM]
Time to Reload - "Marvel's The Punisher" Renewed for Season 2
Netflix announced today that "Marvel's The Punisher" has been renewed for a second season.

[12/12/17 - 12:30 PM]
Season Two of CBS All Access' "The Good Fight" to Premiere on Sunday, March 4, 2018
New episodes of the 13-episode second season will be available weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers.

[12/12/17 - 12:25 PM]
Netflix and DreamWorks Animation Television to Premiere Six Original Series in 2018
Highlights include "3 Below," the second installment in the "Tales of Arcadia" trilogy.

[12/12/17 - 12:02 PM]
Get Ready to Be Inspired to Perspire with the "Fit to Fat to Fit" Marathon Airing January 8 on Lifetime
The series previously aired on sibling channel A&E in 2016.

[12/12/17 - 11:53 AM]
Comedy Central(R) Is "Corporate" - Scripted Series Premieres on Wednesday, January 17 with Back-to-Back Episodes
Beginning this Wednesday, TV subscribers can stream the first four episodes of the series exclusively on cc.com and the Comedy Central App or watch via their preferred TV provider's video-on-demand (VOD) service.

[12/12/17 - 11:15 AM]
TLC's "My 600-lb Life" Returns with New Season Followed by New Series "Family by the Ton"
The addictive TLC series returns for its sixth season on Wednesday, January 10 at 8:00/7:00c.

[12/12/17 - 11:12 AM]
The CW Presents "EA Madden NFL 18 Challenge" Premiering December 27
The special special will chronicle the exhilarating competitive action of the tournament and highlight the behind the scenes journeys of the eight world-class players as they compete in the Madden NFL 18 Challenge.

[12/12/17 - 10:54 AM]
Bravo Media Mixes Business with Friendship in The New Series "Bethenny & Fredrik" Premiering Tuesday, February 6 at 10PM ET/PT
Bethenny has been Fredrik's client and friend, and now they're taking their friendship to new heights by coming together as real estate moguls and business partners.

[12/12/17 - 10:31 AM]
NBC Set to Air the 70th Primetime Emmy(R) Awards on Monday, Sept. 17 Live from the Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live
A host and producers will be announced at a later date.

[12/12/17 - 10:03 AM]
"Homeland" Season Seven to Premiere on Showtime(R) on Sunday, February 11 at 9 PM ET/PT
Starring Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin, the cast of series regulars also includes returning actors Elizabeth Marvel, Linus Roache, Maury Sterling and Jake Weber, and joining the cast this season is acclaimed actor Morgan Spector.

[12/12/17 - 10:02 AM]
Official "Black Lightning" Key Art Now Available
The newcomer premieres premieres Tuesday, January 16 at 9:00/8:00c on The CW.

[12/12/17 - 10:01 AM]
Crime's Most Chilling Conversations Caught on Camera in Discovery's All-New Series "The Interrogation Room"
From home invasions to murders, the series covers all facets of crime and the clever tactics used by detectives to obtain criminal confessions.

[12/12/17 - 09:32 AM]
Destination America Celebrates "12 Nights of A Haunting," Ending with a Never-Before-Seen Episode of "Kindred Spirits"
Tune in every night from Wednesday, December 20 - Sunday, December 31 for a primetime marathon of "A Haunting."

[12/12/17 - 09:26 AM]
Science Channel Journeys Deeper Into the Inner Workings of the Cosmos in a New Season of Longest Running Space Series "How the Universe Works" Premiering January 9 at 10PM ET/PT
The series is back for its sixth season as astronomers and experts examine the building blocks and inner workings of our universe to better understand outer space and how its many puzzle pieces fit together.