[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[04/25/17 - 01:13 PM]
Adam Sandler and Chris Rock Reunite for New Netflix Comedy The Week Of
The film will premiere globally on Netflix in 2018.

[04/25/17 - 12:46 PM]
NFL Players Association and Morris Animal Refuge Team Up for Animal Planet's "Road to Puppy Bowl Draft Adoption Event" in Philadelphia on April 26
14 lucky four-legged MVP's will hear their names called, get added to the draft board and learn their new home teams.

[04/25/17 - 12:17 PM]
The ABC Television Network Announces Series Season Finale Dates
Said finales run from this Sunday ("American Crime") through Tuesday, May 23 ("Dancing with the Stars").

[04/25/17 - 12:08 PM]
American Heroes Channel Salutes Bravery, Strength and Sacrifice with Three-Day Heroes Weekend
Starting Friday, AHC is dedicating three days of programming to the courageous veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice to protect and preserve the freedoms we enjoy today.

[04/25/17 - 12:00 PM]
AMC Releases Premiere Date and Key Art for the Final Season of "Turn: Washington's Spies"
The 10-episode final season opens on Saturday, June 17 at 9:00/8:00c with a two-hour premiere.

[04/25/17 - 10:03 AM]
AMC Heading Deeper "Into the Badlands" - Series Renewed for Expanded 16-Episode Third Season, Returning in 2018
Midway through its current second season, "Into the Badlands" is averaging 3.6 million viewers per episode, including 2.1 million adults 25-54 in Nielsen Live+3 ratings.

[04/25/17 - 10:01 AM]
"Full Frontal with Samantha Bee's" "Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner" to Stream on Twitter After TBS Debut
Fans on Twitter in the United States will be able to access the stream by going to samanthabee.twitter.com, as well as via the @FullFrontalSamB Twitter handle.

[04/25/17 - 10:00 AM]
For the First Time, Celebrities Go Undercover on Two Special Editions of "Undercover Boss"
"Celebrity Undercover Boss" will feature Grammy Award-winning musician Darius Rucker on Friday, May 12, and chef and restaurateur Marcus Samuelsson on Friday, May 19.

[04/25/17 - 09:29 AM]
Harry Styles to "Move Into" the "The Late Late Show with James Corden" Studio for First Ever Week-Long Residency, May 15 - May 18
The residency coincides with the release of his highly anticipated solo album.

[04/25/17 - 09:20 AM]
Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment Announce All-New Live-Action Series "Titans," from Executive Producers Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, to Debut in 2018
Additionally, Warner Bros. Animation's "Young Justice: Outsiders," the highly anticipated third season of the popular "Young Justice" series, is also ramping up for its first mission next year.

[04/25/17 - 09:07 AM]
Season 3 of CNBC's "The Filthy Rich Guide" Begins May 10th
Season 3A airs for five consecutive Wednesdays with the remaining five episodes of Season 3B due on August 15.

[04/25/17 - 08:21 AM]
Monday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC, "The Voice" Remain on Top in Demos
ABC, "Dancing with the Stars" then are the most-watched overall.

[04/25/17 - 08:14 AM]
Elvis Costello & The Imposters to Perform at After-Party for "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee's" First Annual "Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner"
All proceeds from "Not the White House Correspondents' Dinner" will go to the Committee to Protect Journalists (cpj.org).

[04/25/17 - 07:01 AM]
TBS Renews "The Detour" for Third Season
"I hear from so many people who love 'The Detour,' even my hardcore comedy friends," said Thom Hinkle, senior vice president of original programming for TBS.

[04/25/17 - 07:00 AM]
"The New I Love Lucy Superstar Special" Featuring Two Classic Episodes to Be Broadcast Friday, May 19
The two episodes, "The Dancing Star," featuring Van Johnson, and "Harpo Marx," with comedian Harpo Marx, are newly colorized with a nod to the 1950s period in which they were filmed.