[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[10/01/14 - 09:47 AM]
New Seasons of Hit Showtime(R) Comedy Series "Shameless," "House of Lies" and "Episodes" to Return Sunday, January 11th
Emmy-nominees William H. Macy, Don Cheadle and Matt LeBlanc are back with their respective series.

[10/01/14 - 08:36 AM]
Bravo Media Spices Up Fall with "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and "Fashion Queens" Returning Sunday, November 9 at 8PM and 11:30PM ET/PT
Cynthia Bailey, Kandi Burruss, NeNe Leakes, Kenya Moore and Phaedra Parks are back this season, and joined by media maven Claudia Jordan.

[10/01/14 - 08:27 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: "The Voice" Continues Win Streak for NBC
The Peacock's reality franchise once again replicates its week ago numbers among adults 18-49.

[09/30/14 - 02:53 PM]
"Monday Night Football" Helps ESPN Win the Night among All Networks
ESPN spins the numbers for Monday, September 29.

[09/30/14 - 02:18 PM]
"Parenthood" Delivered the Show's Highest 18-49 Rating in Live+3 Since October 3, 2013
NBC further spins the numbers for Thursday, September 25.

[09/30/14 - 02:04 PM]
Discovery Channel Moves Up the Cable Ranker and Into the Top Five for Adults and Men During 3Q14
Discovery spins the numbers for the quarter to date.

[09/30/14 - 01:22 PM]
Animal Planet Explores the Striking Similarities of People and Primates in the Natural History Special "The Real Apes of the Planet"
The new two-hour documentary premieres Tuesday, October 21 at 8:00/7:00c on the cable channel.

[09/30/14 - 01:02 PM]
Lifetime Announces Holiday Movie Slate for 2014
"An En Vogue Christmas," "Seasons of Love," "Wally Lamb's Wishin' and Hopin'" and "The Santa Con" will join the previously announced "Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever."

[09/30/14 - 01:01 PM]
Nickelodeon Is Top-Rated Total Day Network for 3Q and September 2014
Nickelodeon spins the numbers for the month and the quarter to date.

[09/30/14 - 12:59 PM]
Premiere of "Gotham" Leads FOX to Rank No. 2 for the Week Among Adults 18-34 and Fourth Among Adults 18-49
FOX spins the numbers for the week of September 22-28.

[09/30/14 - 12:55 PM]
FX Networks Stays in Relationships with "Married" and "You're the Worst"
"Married" is continuing on FX and "You're The Worst" is moving to its new home on FXX.

[09/30/14 - 12:20 PM]
TNT Extends Its Summer Victory by Ranking as Basic Cable's #1 Network in Primetime for Q3 2014 Among Total Viewers
Turner spins the numbers for the third quarter to date.

[09/30/14 - 12:14 PM]
Disney/ABC Television Group Announces the 13th Annual 2014 Talent Showcase, Presented by ABC Casting, Tuesday, October 7, in New York
The 14 featured actors were selected from nearly 7,000 candidates who submitted their resumes, and approximately 500 who auditioned for ABC casting executives in New York.

[09/30/14 - 12:13 PM]
Disney Channel Sweeps Total Day During 3Q 2014 in Total Viewers and Across All Major Youth Demos
Disney Channel spins the numbers for the quarter to date.

[09/30/14 - 12:09 PM]
Frances Berwick Named President of Newly Formed Lifestyle Network Group within NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment
Also, Adam Stotsky has been appointed General Manager of E! Entertainment, responsible for day-to-day operations of the network, in addition to his current role as President, Esquire Network.