[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[04/19/21 - 08:08 AM]
Acorn TV Original Seaside Murder Mystery "Whitstable Pearl" Docks Monday, May 24
The six-part British detective drama explores the dark undercurrents of murder and debauchery swirling beneath the surface of the picturesque English seaside town of Whitstable, famous for its native oysters and buffeted by the prevailing winds and spray of the North Sea.

[04/19/21 - 07:20 AM]
MTV's "Deliciousness" Returns with All-New Episodes Monday, April 26th
Hosted by Tiffani Thiessen, her and the dais of foodies including Angela Kinsey, Kel Mitchell and Tim Chantarangsu celebrate the things we love to indulge in - food and drink.

[04/19/21 - 07:01 AM]
Video: "Love Death + Robots" Volume 2 - Official Trailer - Netflix
From wild adventures on far-flung planets to unsettling encounters close to home: The Emmy-winning anthology returns with a crop of provocative tales.

[04/19/21 - 06:01 AM]
Video: "Maradona: Blessed Dream" - Teaser Trailer - Prime Video
A god that emerged from mud and fire - "Maradona: Blessed Dream" coming soon to Amazon Prime Video.

[04/19/21 - 06:00 AM]
Amazon Studios' Musical "Annette" Will Open the 74th Cannes Film Festival, Release in Late Summer 2021 in Theaters and on Amazon Prime Video
Directed by Leos Carax, and starring Adam Driver and Marion Cotillard, Annette will make its world premiere on July 6 on the Croisette, marking the return of the film festival after last year's cancellation due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

[04/19/21 - 02:28 AM]
Henry Lloyd-Hughes and Thalissa Teixeira Join Lucy Hale as Leads in AMC's Serial Killer Thriller "Ragdoll"
The series will begin production today in London, and Freddy Syborn is spearheading the adaptation of the six-part, darkly witted thriller.

[04/19/21 - 01:01 AM]
Video: "Ferry" - Official Trailer - Netflix
Before he built a drug empire, Ferry Bouman returns to his hometown on a revenge mission that finds his loyalty tested - and a love that alters his life.

[04/18/21 - 04:00 PM]
Paramount+ Reveals Heartfelt Unscripted Series "From Cradle to Stage" Created by Dave Grohl and Virginia Hanlon Grohl to Premiere Exclusively May 6
Honest, humorous and emotional, each episode features a famous performer and their mother, alongside Dave and Virginia, as they take an impassioned journey home and explore each artists' upbringing and the tools they received as a young talent to survive the turbulence of success.

[04/17/21 - 10:08 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Viewers, Demos with "Blue Bloods"
The Eye holds off the competition in total viewers, shares the demo crown with ABC and FOX.

[04/17/21 - 09:01 AM]
Video: "Haunted" Season 3 - Official Trailer - Netflix
More real people share scary stories from their past - and the truth is terrifying.

[04/16/21 - 11:13 PM]
Development Update: Friday, April 16
Updates include: Frances Fisher boards USA's "The Sinner"; John Ortiz tapped for ABC's "Promised Land"; and Netflix eyes new series set in the "Castlevania" universe.

[04/16/21 - 05:01 PM]
Video: "The Naked Director" Season 2 - Date Announcement - Netflix
Season two drops Thursday, June 24 on the streaming service.

[04/16/21 - 03:30 PM]
93rd Oscars(R) Performers Kick Off Oscar(R) Sunday
Celeste, H.E.R., Leslie Odom Jr., Laura Pausini, Daniel Pemberton, Molly Sandén and Diane Warren will perform the five nominated original songs in their entirety for "Oscars(R): Into the Spotlight," the lead-in to the 93rd Oscars.

[04/16/21 - 02:26 PM]
FOX to Shuffle Thursday Lineup Starting April 29
Repeats of "Name That Tune" will inherit the "Hell's Kitchen" slot at 8:00/7:00c, followed by "Last Man Standing" at 9:00/8:00c and newcomer "Let's Be Real" at 9:30/8:30c (replacing "The Moodys").

[04/16/21 - 02:00 PM]
discovery+ True Crime Highlights - Weeks of April 26 and May 3
"When Philip Met Missy" and "Queen of Meth" are among the latest additions in the coming weeks.