[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

[11/25/15 - 11:01 AM]
Disney Channel Orders a Third Season of "Girl Meets World"
Production resumes in Los Angeles in January with season three scheduled to premiere in spring 2016.

[11/25/15 - 11:00 AM]
HBO Confirms Debut Date for Animated Adult Comedy Series "Animals"
The 10-episode series will launch on Friday, February 5 at 11:30/10:30c.

[11/25/15 - 10:35 AM]
American Hero and Fan Favorite Alek Skarlatos to Join "Dancing With The Stars: Live! -- Dance All Night Tour"
Skarlatos made headlines around the world in August 2015 when he and his friends heroically overpowered a man that opened fire on a train from Amsterdam to Paris.

[11/25/15 - 10:04 AM]
Gwen Stefani and Sia to Perform on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 Telecasts of NBC's Emmy Award-Winning Series "The Voice"
Sia will perform the single "Alive" from her upcoming album "This Is Acting" while Stefani will sing her current single "Used to Love You."

[11/25/15 - 09:01 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Pulls in Front with "Dancing with the Stars" Finale
The Alphabet leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[11/25/15 - 08:42 AM]
New Debut Date for "Very Semi-Serious: A Partially Thorough Portrait of New Yorker Cartoonists"
The exclusive HBO presentation is now slated to debut Monday, December 14.

[11/25/15 - 08:36 AM]
Week Two of "Chicago Med" Is Up 50% vs. Last Season's Slot Average
NBC spins the numbers for Tuesday, November 24.

[11/25/15 - 08:33 AM]
ABC Wins the Final Tuesday of November with a Season-High Performance
ABC spins the numbers for Tuesday, November 24.

[11/24/15 - 04:45 PM]
Video: First Promo for "Grease: Live" to Air During "Scream Queens" Tonight
Get your first look at the upcoming promo for the much-ballyhooed live event.

[11/24/15 - 02:44 PM]
Michigan State at Ohio State: Highest-Rated Game of Season across All Networks
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, November 21.

[11/24/15 - 02:41 PM]
"Monday Night Football" Helps ESPN Win the Night among All Networks
ESPN spins the numbers for Monday, November 23.

[11/24/15 - 01:48 PM]
Spike TV Unwraps Big Ratings for "Lip Sync Battle" Holiday Special
Spike TV further spins the numbers for Thursday, November 19.

[11/24/15 - 01:40 PM]
The CW Extends "The Flash/Arrow" Crossover by Four Minutes
Lead outs "iZombie" and "Supernatural" will air in their entirety following said event.

[11/24/15 - 01:26 PM]
"48 Hours: The Strange Case of Kurt Sonnenfeld" Is Saturday's #1 Program with Viewers
CBS spins the numbers for Saturday, November 21.

[11/24/15 - 01:01 PM]
NBC's Annual "Christmas in Rockefeller Center" Celebrates the Music of the Holidays Live on Wednesday, Dec. 2
Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker and Natalie Morales will host the live broadcast from New York City's Rockefeller Center.