[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[04/23/14 - 06:56 PM]
ESPN's 2014 "Monday Night Football" Schedule
The 45th season will kick off with a doubleheader Monday, September 8 - New York Giants at Detroit Lions (7 p.m. ET) and San Diego Chargers at Arizona Cardinals (10:15 p.m. / 7:15 p.m. PT).

[04/23/14 - 06:40 PM]
21st NFL on FOX Schedule Unveiled
It's a season of firsts once the action gets underway as FOX Sports becomes the only NFL broadcaster to cover two games from London in the same season, the first of which features the earliest kickoff in NFL history.

[04/23/14 - 05:03 PM]
2014 "Thursday Night Football" Broadcast Schedule Announced
The 16-game Thursday Night Football schedule kicks off on September 11 with Steelers vs. Ravens from Baltimore and ends with a Week 16 Saturday double-header on December 20.

[04/23/14 - 05:02 PM]
2014 NBC "Sunday Night Football" Schedule Announced
Highlights include 19 primetime games, including the NFL's opening game of the season, NFL Kickoff 2014 and NBC's annual Thanksgiving night game.

[04/23/14 - 02:59 PM]
Discovery Channel's Season Premiere of "Deadliest Catch" Is Highest Rated Premiere in Three Seasons
Discovery spins the numbers for Tuesday, April 22.

[04/23/14 - 02:51 PM]
Tuesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "The Voice" Keeps NBC on Top in Demos
Plus: numbers for MTV's "Faking It," Investigation Discovery's "Bad Teachers" and Discovery's "Deadliest Catch."

[04/23/14 - 01:21 PM]
Lifetime's New Docu-Series "True Tori" Captivates 1.2 Million Viewers in Series Premiere
Lifetime spins the numbers for Tuesday, April 22.

[04/23/14 - 01:20 PM]
ABC Airs 7 of the Season's Top 20 Entertainment Series - Most for Any Net
ABC spins the numbers for the season to date.

[04/23/14 - 12:35 PM]
NBC Sports Group to Present All Team USA Games from 2014 IIHF World Hockey Championship
Live coverage begins on NBCSN on Friday, May 9 at 1:30 p.m. ET when Team USA faces Belarus in the first of seven preliminary-round matches, which will all air live on NBCSN.

[04/23/14 - 11:23 AM]
VH1 Announces Hot New Summer Lineup
Highlights include the return of "Hit the Floor" as well as newcomers "I Love The 2000s," ""Make or Break: The Linda Perry Project," "Dating Naked" and "LeAnn & Eddie."

[04/23/14 - 11:10 AM]
Bravo Media Expands Scripted Programming Developing "All the Pretty Faces" from Executive Producer Jennifer Garner and Warner Horizon Television
The project is a dramedy-mystery centered on two warring families engaged in an epic, decades-long feud.

[04/23/14 - 11:09 AM]
Sam Register Promoted to President, Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Digital Series
Current WBA television series developed and supervised by Register include "Teen Titans Go!" and "The Tom and Jerry Show."

[04/23/14 - 10:52 AM]
Cartoon Network's "Adventure Time" Seals Monday Night Wins
Cartoon Network spins the numbers for Monday, April 21.

[04/23/14 - 10:30 AM]
"SNL" Finishes Out the Season with Three Star-Studded Back to Back Shows
Look for Andrew Garfield on May 3, Charlize Theron on May 10 and Andy Samberg on May 17.

[04/23/14 - 10:26 AM]
Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama Highlights Motorsports Coverage on NBCSN This Week
NBCSN's presentation of the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama begins Sunday at 1 a.m. ET with qualifying.