[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

[10/10/15 - 09:01 AM]
ABC Family's New Saga Series "Shadowhunters" to Premiere on Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Plus: ABC Family will be airing "Beyond the Shadows: The Making of Shadowhunters" on Sunday, December 6 at 9:30/8:30c.

[10/10/15 - 08:43 AM]
ABC Leads Friday with the Top Shows - "Dr. Ken" Holds Strong in Week 2
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, October 9.

[10/10/15 - 08:35 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Holds Onto Demo Crown
"Last Man Standing" grows week-to-week for the Alphabet among adults 18-49.

[10/10/15 - 08:28 AM]
"Blindspot" Grows by 62% in 18-49 in Live + 3 Day Ratings and by 4.3 Million Viewers Overall
NBC further spins the numbers for Monday, October 5.

[10/10/15 - 08:27 AM]
Third Season Debut of "Undateable" Matches NBC's Top 18-49 Rating in Its Time Period in the Last 18 Weeks
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, October 9.

[10/09/15 - 04:00 PM]
NBC Picks Up the Back Nine Episodes of "Blindspot"
The drama has scored as the fall season's #1-rated new series in adults 18-49.

[10/09/15 - 03:50 PM]
MTV's "Teen Wolf" Sinks Teeth Into New York Comic Con, Reveals New Trailer, New Night and a Shocking Return
The series will return to MTV for the second half of season five on a brand new day Tuesday, January 5 at 9:00/8:00c.

[10/09/15 - 02:35 PM]
CBS Orders "American Gothic," A New Drama Series from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television and CBS Television Studios, For Broadcast in Summer 2016
Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank of Amblin Television, James Frey of Full Fathom Five and Corinne Brinkerhoff, who is writing the script, will serve as executive producers.

[10/09/15 - 01:27 PM]
"Blindspot" Is Television's #1 Gainer in Total Viewers for a 2nd Straight Week
NBC further spins the numbers for Sunday, October 4 and Monday, October 5.

[10/09/15 - 12:51 PM]
Disney XD Orders Second Season of Animated Series "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy"
"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy" season two is currently in production and slated to premiere in 2017.

[10/09/15 - 12:36 PM]
Pop on Over to Joy Behar's Place for Some "Late Night Joy" on TLC
The series is produced by True Entertainment and Behar's JoyBee Productions.

[10/09/15 - 12:24 PM]
Academy Award Nominee Bradley Cooper Returns as Sen. Edward Morra, On "Limitless," Tuesday, Oct. 27
The news was announced today by executive producer Craig Sweeny at the series' New York Comic Con panel at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City.

[10/09/15 - 10:55 AM]
CBS News Continues to Grow in Audiences and Key Demographics
CBS News spins the numbers for the week of September 28-October 4.

[10/09/15 - 10:41 AM]
ABC to Bump "Beyond the Tank" Indefinitely; "Shark Tank" Repeat Set for Tuesday, October 13
The Alphabet will encore the season premiere of the parent series this Tuesday at 10:00/9:00c.

[10/09/15 - 10:18 AM]
Esquire Network Orders New High-Octane Competition Series "Team Ninja Warrior"
For the first time in ninja history, the mother of all obstacle courses is now built for two.