[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[07/03/15 - 08:54 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Original Showdown with "Big Brother"
The Eye leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[07/03/15 - 08:30 AM]
"Food Fighters" Ties for #2 in Its Time Period Among the Big 4 Networks in Adults 18-49
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, July 2.

[07/02/15 - 03:51 PM]
FOX Bursts Into San Diego Comic-Con with World Premiere Screenings and Panel Debuts of "Scream Queens," "Minority Report" and "Lucifer"
Panels for "Lucifer," "Minority Report" and "Bob's Burgers" will kick things off on Friday, July 10.

[07/02/15 - 01:59 PM]
Discovery Channel Delivers All New Digital Content and Social Media Action During "Shark Week 2015"
Sharkopedia - Discovery's ultimate digital guide to all things shark - makes its online debut this year.

[07/02/15 - 11:49 AM]
FOX Sports Expands FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Coverage with 30 Hours of Added Programming
Said additions include expanded pre- and post-game coverage of the championship match, a pair of marathons showcasing the U.S. Women's National Team's dramatic run to the final and more.

[07/02/15 - 11:06 AM]
The Biting Snark Continues on WE tv - Network's Second Annual "Snark Week" Featuring the Snarkiest Personalities and Shows Returns July 6-10
This year's on-air celebration includes biting one-liners from new episodes of WE tv's original series "Braxton Family Values," "Cutting It: In the ATL" and "Marriage Boot Camp Reality Stars."

[07/02/15 - 10:33 AM]
ABC's "The Chew" to Broadcast from the 20th Annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
The Emmy-winning lifestyle series will tape five shows on October 7-9 to air during the week of October 12-16.

[07/02/15 - 10:18 AM]
Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers Rank #1 for the Late-Night Second Quarter vs. Their ABC-CBS Competition in All Key Measures
NBC spins the late-night numbers for the second quarter of 2015.

[07/02/15 - 10:00 AM]
Donald Glover Pilot "Atlanta" Casts Its Leads as Production Gets Underway
Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz will co-star while Hiro Murai is set to direct.

[07/02/15 - 09:46 AM]
Season Three Premieres of the Hit Dramas "Ray Donovan" and "Masters of Sex" Are Available for Early Sampling
Viewers can sample the TV-14 rated premieres of both episodes for free now on YouTube and SHO.com.

[07/02/15 - 09:12 AM]
"Nightline" Wins 2Q15 in Total Viewers For Second Year in a Row, Leading in Four of the Last Five Quarters
ABC spins the late-night numbers for the second quarter of 2015.

[07/02/15 - 08:52 AM]
A+E Networks(R) Launches Lifetime(R) Movie Club(TM)
The subscription video service comes in time for the 25-year anniversary of Lifetime Movies and is available exclusively on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch at launch.

[07/02/15 - 08:42 AM]
NBC Encores Tie for the Wednesday Win Among the Big 4 in 18-49
NBC spins the numbers for Wednesday, July 1.

[07/02/15 - 08:40 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS, FOX & NBC All Share Demo Crown
The Eye's "Big Brother" is the night's top program among adults 18-49.

[07/02/15 - 07:48 AM]
FOX Sports Names John Strong Lead Play-By-Play Voice for CONCACAF Gold Cup Coverage
The U.S. team enters the region's biennial championship coming off huge away wins over European powerhouse Netherlands and World Champion Germany, and FOX Sports televises every match.