[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[04/26/15 - 02:01 PM]
HBO Sports Is the Fight Fan's Destination for Mayweather-Pacquiao
The blockbuster welterweight unification title showdown is set for Saturday, May 2 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

[04/26/15 - 08:46 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Tops Demos with NHL Playoffs
CBS then is the most-watched broadcast network last night.

[04/26/15 - 08:40 AM]
Encore Telecast of "Saturday Night Live," With Host Chris Hemsworth, Is Its Top Rebroadcast Since February 21
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, April 25.

[04/25/15 - 06:00 PM]
Ariana Grande, Fifth Harmony and Becky G Among Top Winners at the 2015 Radio Disney Music Awards
"Disney Channel Presents the Radio Disney Music Awards" airs tomorrow night, Sunday, April 26 at 8:00/7:00c on Disney Channel.

[04/25/15 - 08:42 AM]
"Grimm" Is Steady Week to Week in Adults 18-49, Grows in Men and Women 18-49, Adults, Men and Women 25-54 and Total Viewers
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, April 24.

[04/25/15 - 08:40 AM]
"20/20: Bruce Jenner - The Interview" Draws 16.9 Million on Friday - Biggest "20/20" in 15 Years
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, April 24.

[04/25/15 - 08:33 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: "Bruce Jenner - The Interview" Posts Big Numbers for ABC
Nearly 17 million viewers on average tune into the two-hour special.

[04/24/15 - 11:33 PM]
Development Update: Friday, April 24
Updates include: Brooklyn Sudano joins Hulu's "11/22/63"; Disney Channel adds trio to "Jessie" spin-off; and Danielle Sanchez-Witzel to run NBC's "The Carmichael Show."

[04/24/15 - 07:43 PM]
E! Announces New Documentary Series Following Bruce Jenner's Life as a Transgender Woman
The eight-part, one-hour series will premiere Sunday, July 26 at 9:00pm on E! and will also air on the E! channels internationally.

[04/24/15 - 04:25 PM]
Oscar(R) Nominee and Multiple Tony(R) Winner Frank Langella to Return to FX's Peabody Award-Winning Drama "The Americans"
Langella will reprise his role as "Gabriel," Philip and Elizabeth's mysterious KGB handler.

[04/24/15 - 03:05 PM]
Whipclip Teams Up with Pop to Offer Fans Easy Access to Create and Share Video Clips from Network's Original Programming Line-Up
Using Whipclip, viewers can create customized clips of their favorite moments and share them instantly on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest and via email and SMS.

[04/24/15 - 12:48 PM]
Discovery Channel Renews Hit-Series "Deadliest Catch" for Twelfth Season
From Original Productions, the 13-time Emmy Award-winning series follows the real-life adventures of Alaskan fisherman with one of the most dangerous jobs in the world - crab fishing on the unpredictable Bering Sea.

[04/24/15 - 12:43 PM]
FOX Sports 1 Presents First Ever "U.S. Open Media Day Special"
Originating from the United States Golf Association's Media Day at Chambers Bay, the program, recorded earlier in the day, airs in primetime Monday, April 27, (9:30 PM ET) on FOX Sports 1.

[04/24/15 - 12:32 PM]
Discovery Channel Grabs #1 in Both Persons 25-54 and Persons 18-49 on Cable for the Week
Discovery spins the numbers for the week of April 13-19.

[04/24/15 - 11:17 AM]
"Garbage Time with Katie Nolan" Attracts Largest Audience Ever with Total Viewership Over 1.6 Million
FOX Sports further spins the numbers for Sunday, April 19.