[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[01/18/17 - 12:31 PM]
Logo Hits the Slopes Again for Aspen Gay Ski Week
Logo's stars will lead viewers on a new adventure each day in a series of 10 original short segments.

[01/18/17 - 12:30 PM]
BET to Premiere New Original Scripted Drama, "Rebel," from John Singleton on March 28th at 9PM ET/PT
Directed by John Singleton, the series follows a police officer who leaves the force after being under an intense Internal Affairs/criminal investigation for shooting her partner in the hopes of stopping him from gunning down her little brother.

[01/18/17 - 12:11 PM]
Fall's Best Reviewed and #1-Rated New Series "This Is Us" Receives Renewal for Two Additional Seasons
To date, 72 million total viewers have viewed the first 10 episodes in some fashion on all platforms.

[01/18/17 - 12:03 PM]
FOX Dominates Divisional Playoff Weekend
FOX Sports spins the numbers for its NFL postseason coverage to date.

[01/18/17 - 11:46 AM]
"America: Facts vs. Fiction" Returns to American Heroes Channel for Fascinating Fourth Season Hosted by Jamie Kaler
Hosted by former Naval officer and comedian/actor Jamie Kaler, this season is a wake-up call about the surprising hidden facts behind the most familiar and beloved stories from our nation's and military's past.

[01/18/17 - 11:35 AM]
National Geographic Discovers Ancient Anchors That Could Rewrite the History of Human Travel in the Bronze Age
"We set out to investigate the most interesting theories that argue that there is some kind of history behind the myth of Atlantis," said Cameron.

[01/18/17 - 10:43 AM]
Holly Robinson Peete and Rodney Peete Docu-Series "For Peete's Sake" Returns with All-New Episodes Saturday, February 18 on OWN
In a revealing new season, Holly and Rodney find themselves balancing it all amongst troubling headlines highlighting escalating police relations, and deep fears of raising sons Robinson, Roman and RJ in the current climate surface.

[01/18/17 - 10:35 AM]
TNT's Hit Series "Major Crimes" Renewed for Season Six
The show's stellar ensemble cast - including Mary McDonnell, G.W. Bailey, Tony Denison, Michael Paul Chan, Raymond Cruz, Phillip P. Keene, Kearran Giovanni, Jonathan Del Arco and Graham Patrick Martin - will return for the 13-episode sixth season.

[01/18/17 - 10:30 AM]
ABC News' Coverage of the Inauguration of President-Elect Donald Trump Begins Thursday, January 19
"20/20" will air two one-hour specials on Thursday, January 19 and Friday, January 20.

[01/18/17 - 10:13 AM]
NBC to Preview "Chicago Justice" on Wednesday, March 1 at 10 P.M.
The preview will immediately follow a crossover event between "Chicago Fire" at 8 p.m. and "Chicago P.D." at 9 p.m.

[01/18/17 - 10:05 AM]
Velocity and Ryan Friedlinghaus Join Forces to Bring the Inner Workings of the World-Renowned West Coast Customs Back to Velocity
In March, Velocity invites viewers deeper into the West Coast Customs world with all-new, never-before-seen episodes of "Inside West Coast Customs."

[01/18/17 - 10:02 AM]
James Frain Joins "Star Trek: Discovery"
Frain will star as "Sarek," the famed father of "Spock."

[01/18/17 - 09:38 AM]
NBC Reunites TV's Favorite Foursome with the Return of "Will & Grace" (and Jack and Karen)
Stars Eric McCormack, Debra Messing, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullally will be back, and original series creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan will act as showrunners and executive producers.

[01/18/17 - 09:05 AM]
Comedy Central Announces Celebrity Judges, Comedian Battlers for "Jeff Ross Presents Roast Battle II: War of the Words"
Whitney Cummings, Ken Jeong, Anthony Jeselnik, John Mayer, T.J. Miller, Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, Jason Sudeikis and Snoop Dogg will serve as celebrity judges.

[01/18/17 - 09:03 AM]
Video: HBO Releases Video for Upcoming Season of "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver"
The video features Oliver as he wanders the sets of other returning HBO favorites, joined by surprising guest stars.