[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[01/27/15 - 03:49 PM]
HBO Renews "Togetherness" for Second Season
The half-hour comedy is set to begin production on its second season this year in Los Angeles for debut in 2016.

[01/27/15 - 01:01 PM]
"The Biggest Loser" Winner Is Revealed Along with Dramatic Weight Loss Transformations from Season 16 Contestants in Live Finale January 29
All 20 former athletes will show off their incredible weight loss transformations.

[01/27/15 - 12:55 PM]
American Heroes Channel Has Best January Ever in Prime Delivery
American Heroes Channel spins the numbers for the month of January to date.

[01/27/15 - 12:45 PM]
Video: "Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp" - Cast Confirmation - Netflix
The eight-episode limited series tells the story of the first day of Camp Firewood's famous summer season, now fourteen years after the film's debut.

[01/27/15 - 12:38 PM]
Disney Channel's Total Day Tops Nickelodeon by Largest Margin Ever Among Tweens and Gains Biggest Advantage in Nearly 1 1/2 Years Among Kids 6-11
Disney Channel spins the numbers for the month of January to date.

[01/27/15 - 12:32 PM]
Turner Broadcasting's TBS and Adult Swim Score Demo Victories in Live + 7 Delivery for the Second Week of January
Turner spins the numbers for the month of January to date.

[01/27/15 - 12:24 PM]
Viewers Continue to Book Saturday Nights with Hallmark Channel
The Hallmark Channel spins the numbers for Saturday, January 24.

[01/27/15 - 12:07 PM]
HGTV Delivers Best Month Ever, Best Week Ever, In January 2015
HGTV spins the numbers for the month of January to date.

[01/27/15 - 12:06 PM]
"The Originals" and "Jane the Virgin" Combine to Give The CW Its Most Watched Monday in More Than Three Years
The CW spins the numbers for Monday, January 26.

[01/27/15 - 11:58 AM]
NCAA Division I Softball: ESPN Networks to Carry 400 Games
ESPN will also have extensive coverage of the 2015 NCAA Division I Softball Championship, including every game televised from the Super Regionals and Women's College World Series.

[01/27/15 - 10:19 AM]
Oscar(R) Nominees Common and John Legend to Perform Together at the Oscars(R)
"Glory," written by John Stephens (a.k.a. John Legend) and Lonnie Lynn (a.k.a. Common) for the film "Selma," is nominated for Original Song.

[01/27/15 - 10:06 AM]
Superstar Actress Katie Holmes Fixing to Join Season Three of "Ray Donovan"
Holmes will play shrewd and chic businesswoman Paige, the daughter of billionaire producer Andrew Finney (Ian McShane), who enlists Ray's services.

[01/27/15 - 09:47 AM]
"Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials" Delivers Largest Audience and Best Ratings in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 Since 2010
CBS spins the numbers for Monday, January 26.

[01/27/15 - 09:30 AM]
Hollywood Foreign Press Association and Producer Dick Clark Productions Will Bring The 73rd Annual Golden Globe(R) Awards Live Coast-to-Coast on NBC on Sunday, January 10, 2016
The Golden Globe Awards are viewed in more than 160 countries worldwide and are one of the few awards ceremonies to include both motion picture and television achievements.

[01/27/15 - 09:26 AM]
NBC Sports Presents Six Hours of Super Bowl XLIX Pre-Game Coverage
NBC Sports will surround the Super Bowl with live reports from the team hotels and the stadium, in-depth features and interviews with players and coaches from the Seahawks and Patriots, and X's and O's analysis from its roster of expert commentators.