[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[02/21/18 - 03:50 PM]
Oxygen Media's "In Ice Cold Blood" Hosted by Ice-T Premieres Sunday, April 1 at 7PM ET/PT
The series spotlights shocking true stories involving sex, money, murder - or a fatal cocktail of all three.

[02/21/18 - 03:32 PM]
Attention Cloud 9 Shoppers: "Superstore" Renewed for a Fourth Season
"'Superstore' is one of our signature NBC comedies, and we're so pleased to be bringing it back for the 2018-19 season," Jennifer Salke said.

[02/21/18 - 02:30 PM]
"Beyond" Soars to New Season Highs with Its Best Numbers in Over 1 Year
Freeform further spins the numbers for Thursday, February 15.

[02/21/18 - 02:26 PM]
Lindsey Vonn's Final Olympic Downhill Leads NBC Olympics to 8% Increase Over Comparable Sochi Olympics Telecast
NBC further spins the numbers for Tuesday, February 20.

[02/21/18 - 01:58 PM]
"America's Got Talent" Is Back for a 13th Season
Simon Cowell, Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum and Mel B are all returning as judges while Tyra Banks is also due back as the show's host.

[02/21/18 - 12:12 PM]
Hallmark Hall of Fame Original Film "The Beach House" World Premiere April 28 on Hallmark Channel
Andie MacDowell, Minka Kelly, Chad Michael Murray and Makenzie Vega stars in this timeless tale about life, love and relationships.

[02/21/18 - 11:19 AM]
Video: Jim Brockmire Takes New Orleans by Storm in "Brockmire" Season 2 Trailer
Season 2 premieres on IFC Wednesday, April 25 at 10:00/9:00c, with eight episodes airing weekly.

[02/21/18 - 09:42 AM]
Video: Trailer Debut - "Flint Town" on Netflix March 2
In the aftermath of the Flint water crisis, "Flint Town" takes an intimate look at the state of policing in America through the lens of the Flint Police Department.

[02/21/18 - 09:06 AM]
As People Around the United States Fight This Year's Influenza Virus, Discovery Shines a Light on Three Deadly Viruses and Their Potential for Catastrophic Outbreaks in "Invisible Killers"
Look for the three specials back-to-back on Thursday, March 29.

[02/21/18 - 09:04 AM]
Bravo Media's Southern Socialites Are Back When "Southern Charm" Returns for Season 5 Thursday, April 5 at 9PM ET/PT
Join the Southern socialites Craig Conover, Kathryn Dennis, Cameran Eubanks, Austen Kroll, Thomas Ravenel, and Shep Rose as they welcome a new member, Chelsea Meissner, into the group and embark on another season of living the highlife in the low country.

[02/21/18 - 09:01 AM]
2018 National Women's Soccer League Game of the Week Begins Saturday, March 24 on Lifetime
Featuring Jenn Hildreth, Aly Wagner, and Dalen Cuff, the NWSL Game of the Week on Lifetime will air Saturdays beginning at 3:30pm ET with a pregame show leading up to kickoff at 3:50pm ET.

[02/21/18 - 08:37 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: Winter Olympics Continue Win Streak for NBC
The Peacock rides its primetime coverage to the top spot in total viewers and adults 18-49.

[02/21/18 - 08:37 AM]
Netflix Signs New Four Picture Deal with Jay and Mark Duplass
"The Untitled Duplass Brothers Ray Romano Project," the first film on the newly struck deal, will be released later this year.

[02/21/18 - 08:10 AM]
American Political Drama Series "Madam Secretary" to Premiere on WE tv Starting Wednesday, March 7 at 7PM
Beginning the following week, Wednesday, March 14, the series will air during all-day binge-a-thons on Wednesdays from 10am-4:00am ET/PT.

[02/21/18 - 07:00 AM]
Video: Danger, Will Robinson! Netflix Releases First Look at "Lost in Space," Launching on Earth on April 13
Netflix provided NASA with access to the pilot episode, which was transmitted 12 days ago to the International Space Station for astronauts to view during their leisure time.