[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[05/04/16 - 06:53 AM]
Crackle's Critically-Acclaimed First Scripted Original Drama Series "The Art of More" Now in Production on Sophomore Season in Montreal
Returning to Crackle in Q4 2016, season two will dive deeper into the glamorous and surprisingly cutthroat world of premium auction houses in New York City with more twists and complex stories.

[05/04/16 - 06:00 AM]
Craig Ferguson and Hollywood Stars Come Together to Have Fun and Change Lives in NBC's Second Annual "Red Nose Day Special" May 26
Coming together for the FUN-raising special will be Ellen DeGeneres, Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Julianne Moore, Liam Neeson, Sarah Silverman, Tracy Morgan, Key & Peele, Anna Kendrick, Seth Rogen, Zac Efron and Ellie Kemper.

[05/04/16 - 06:00 AM]
Legendary Music Superstar Celine Dion to Receive Icon Award at the "2016 Billboard Music Awards" on ABC
Dion will also take to the stage for a special rendition of Queen's "The Show Must Go On" after she accepts one of the most prestigious Billboard awards an artist can receive.

[05/04/16 - 05:06 AM]
Video: New Top Gear Trailer Brings on the "Summer"
"Top Gear" makes its eagerly anticipated return with an all-new season premiering in May on BBC America.

[05/04/16 - 05:00 AM]
Hulu Goes Bigger and Bolder at 2016 Upfront Presentation
The streaming service has picked up critically acclaimed drama series "The Path" for a second season, as well as comedy series "The Mindy Project" for season five.

[05/03/16 - 10:36 AM]
Molly Ringwald, Meredith Vieira, Amy Sedaris, John Hodgman, and "Hamilton" Cast Members Guest Star in Season Two of Bravo Media's "Odd Mom Out"
They'll join the previously announced Drew Barrymore and Blythe Danner.

[05/03/16 - 10:31 AM]
AXS TV to Premiere Nine Acclaimed Music Documentaries in Its All-New "Reel to Real" Series
"Reel to Real" is hosted by popular TV and radio personality Eddie Trunk, who will be on hand to introduce every premiere, providing insights and facts about the production, the artists, the inspirations and the impact of each doc.

[05/03/16 - 10:01 AM]
TBS's "Search Party" Adds Rosie Perez, Ron Livingston, Christine Taylor & Parker Posey in Recurring Roles
In addition, Brandon Micheal Hall has been named a series regular.

[05/03/16 - 09:07 AM]
Vice Media and ESPN Enter Production and Distribution Deal Across Digital, Mobile, and TV
Select films from ESPN's renowned documentary series "30 for 30" will air on Viceland, the new cable network from Vice.

[05/03/16 - 08:45 AM]
Monday's Broadcast Ratings: "The Voice" Extends NBC's Demo Win Streak
The Peacock has taken home the adults 18-49 crown for seven consecutive Mondays.

[05/03/16 - 08:29 AM]
Acclaimed Italian Crime Series "Gomorrah" Premieres August 24 on SundanceTV
As previously announced, the network has acquired seasons one and two from The Weinstein Company, each season featuring 12 one-hour episodes.

[05/03/16 - 07:22 AM]
Bravo Media Debuts New Series "Below Deck Mediterranean" Launching Activations in New York City and Across Digital Platforms
The network kicks off the new installment of the hit series with a premiere day stunt in New York City, as well as with a "Below Deck Mediterranean" Lens on Snapchat.

[05/03/16 - 07:17 AM]
Surging VH1 Greenlights Weekly Topical Show with Pop Culture Maven and Social Media Powerhouse Amber Rose Slated to Premiere This Summer
Rose will conduct candid interviews with celebrity friends and lead provocative, entertaining and humorous conversations with guests about pop culture, motherhood, relationships, friendships, race, and entrepreneurship.

[05/03/16 - 06:00 AM]
Amazon Prime Video Adds the Latest Series from The Weinstein Company and Oscar and Emmy-Winner Julian Fellowes, "Julian Fellowes Presents Doctor Thorne," to Its Original Series Lineup
The series stars Tom Hollander as Doctor Thorne, Ian McShane as Sir Roger Scatcherd, and Alison Brie as Miss Martha Dunstable.

[05/02/16 - 11:53 AM]
Freeform's "That's So Throwback" Programming Event Begins May 2
Laugh along with Lizzie McGuire as she competes with Kate, flash forward to the future with Raven Baxter, live a double life with Hannah Montana, and help Kim Possible save the world.