[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[04/18/14 - 08:42 AM]
"Parenthood" Jumps 18% Versus Last Week in 18-49, Making It Its Top Episode in Three Weeks
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, April 17.

[04/18/14 - 08:22 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Scandal" Finale Powers ABC Into the Top Spot
The Alphabet takes home the adults 18-49 crown but falls just short as the most-watched network.

[04/18/14 - 08:17 AM]
ABC Wins Thursday with "Scandal" Posting Best-Ever Season Finale Numbers
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, April 17.

[04/18/14 - 08:06 AM]
Celebrities, Renovating Families and Fixer-Uppers Take Center Stage in Nine New Series on HGTV
Among the network's latest additions: "Genevieve's Renovation," "Sold on the Spot" and "The Brothers Big Reno Project."

[04/18/14 - 07:45 AM]
Ed Stafford Returns to Discovery in All-New Epic Series, "Marooned" Premiering Wednesday, April 23 at 10PM ET/PT
Ed strive to prove to himself that he can tackle the challenges of any environment, once again with nothing except his camera - and find everything he needs to not just survive, but thrive in some of the world's toughest environments.

[04/17/14 - 09:31 PM]
"American Idol" Voting Results for April 17
Next week, on Wednesday, April 23, the Top Six get a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll as they perform two songs each - one country and one rock!

[04/17/14 - 03:04 PM]
Season Two of "Paternity Court with Lauren Lake" Begins Production in Atlanta This Summer
Presiding judge Lauren Lake will once again take her place on the bench, helping families come together to sort out complicated relationships and find resolution in their lives.

[04/17/14 - 02:31 PM]
Wednesday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: "Survivor," "American Idol" Top Charts
Plus: numbers for FS1's "The Ultimate Fighter," Comedy Central's "Workaholics" and the NHL playoffs on CNBC and NBCSN.

[04/17/14 - 02:22 PM]
Exclusive World Premiere of Hour-Long Special "SuperSong" Starring Ricky Martin Launches on Crackle April 21
"SuperSong" takes viewers behind-the-scenes with global superstar Ricky Martin and music producer Salaam Remi as they record SuperSong contest winner Elijah King's winning track.

[04/17/14 - 01:48 PM]
"Arnie" Becomes Most-Watched Original Production in Golf Channel History
Golf Channel spins the numbers for Sunday, April 13 through Tuesday, April 15.

[04/17/14 - 01:30 PM]
TBS Hit Series "Sullivan & Son" to Welcome Back Guest Stars Kunal Nayyar, Ken Jeong and Billy Gardell
The series is set to launch its third season with back-to-back episodes Tuesday, June 24 at 10:00/9:00c.

[04/17/14 - 01:04 PM]
Amazon Fire TV's Voice Search Gets New Partners
Hulu Plus, Crackle, and SHOWTIME ANYTIME are joining VEVO in integrating their full catalogs into Fire TV's unified voice search.

[04/17/14 - 12:04 PM]
The CW Announces Summer 2014 Premiere Dates
Highlights include the return of "Beauty and the Beast" and the premieres of "Backpackers" and "Seed."

[04/17/14 - 12:00 PM]
IDW Entertainment, George Lopez, & David M. Stern Developing "Wormwood" as an Animated Series
David M. Stern has been tapped to write the pilot episode and serve as an executive producer on the series.

[04/17/14 - 11:56 AM]
David Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, Tracy Morgan, Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro to Headline Spike TV's "One Night Only: An All-Star Comedy Tribute to Don Rickles"
The 90-minute special, produced in conjunction with Don Mischer Productions, airs on Spike TV on Wednesday, May 28 at 9:00/8:00c.