[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[10/20/17 - 09:42 AM]
Live + 3 Day Ratings: ABC's "Good Doctor" Tops CBS' "NCIS" and NBC's "This Is Us" as the Season's Most-Watched Drama
ABC further spins the numbers for the week of October 9-15.

[10/20/17 - 09:18 AM]
FXX Scares Up Tricks and Treats for Halloween
FXX will celebrate Halloween with a The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror" programming event culminating with a 13-hour marathon on Monday, October 31.

[10/20/17 - 08:42 AM]
"Will & Grace" Is the #1 Entertainment Show of the Night in 18-49 and Total Viewers
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, October 19.

[10/20/17 - 08:15 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Thursday Night Football" Keeps CBS on Top
The Eye claims top honors in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[10/20/17 - 07:01 AM]
"A Very Pentatonix Christmas" Delivers the Holiday Spirit to NBC on Monday, Nov. 27 at 10 P.M. ET/PT
The one-hour television event will feature a duet with Jennifer Hudson and take viewers on a musical journey filled with joy, heart and laughter as the group performs some of their holiday favorites.

[10/20/17 - 06:50 AM]
"Thursday Night Football" on CBS and NFL Network Scores Another Ratings Increase, Up +5%
CBS spins the numbers for Thursday, October 19.

[10/19/17 - 11:36 PM]
Development Update: Thursday, October 19
Updates include: Hulu gives final season to "Casual"; Steve Buscemi to replace Owen Wilson in "Miracle Workers" at TBS; and Erica Ash to lead BET's new drama "In Contempt."

[10/19/17 - 02:02 PM]
Video: December 15 - "The Ranch" Part 4 Comes to Netflix and the Binge Race Begins
"The Ranch" is the third most binged-raced show on Netflix.

[10/19/17 - 01:30 PM]
All-Star Autism Benefit "Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism Programs," Hosted by Jon Stewart, to Be Presented Live on HBO Nov. 18
Louis C.K., Stephen Colbert, Abbi Jacobson, Jordan Klepper, Hasan Minhaj, John Mulaney, Olivia Munn, John Oliver and Adam Sandler are among the initial wave of performers.

[10/19/17 - 01:29 PM]
"Bring It!" and "The Rap Game" Return November 24
Lifetime's Friday mainstays will once again air back-to-back beginning at 9:00/8:00c.

[10/19/17 - 12:50 PM]
"2017 CMT Artists of the Year" Special Soars to New Ratings Highs and Ranks as Most Watched in Event History
CMT spins the numbers for Wednesday, October 18.

[10/19/17 - 12:06 PM]
AMC Launches New Virtual Reality App, AMC VR, with Brand-New "The Walking Dead" VR Content
Additionally, timed to "The Walking Dead's" 100th episode, AMC VR will debut an extended 360-degree bonus scene from the Season 8 premiere starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Seth Gilliam.

[10/19/17 - 12:03 PM]
American Heroes Channel and Time Inc.'s People(R) Present the 2017 Red Bandanna Hero Award to Combat Wounded Coalition Founder Lt. Jason Redman
A television special produced by Time Inc. Productions, "9/11 Hero: The Red Bandanna Legacy" will also highlight three Red Bandanna Heroes when it premieres on AHC on Saturday, October 28.

[10/19/17 - 11:59 AM]
Hallmark Channel Announces the Launch of "Countdown to Christmas" Fantasy Game
Viewers who play the game will have the opportunity to take their enthusiasm for their favorite Hallmark Channel holiday movies and play for the top prize of $20,000.

[10/19/17 - 11:01 AM]
Emmy(R) Award Nominees Robert and Michelle King to Executive Produce "Your Honor" for Showtime(R)
The project is a legal thriller that rips through all strata of Chicago society.