[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[06/28/17 - 03:55 PM]
Freeform's "Pretty Little Liars" Signs Off Historic Run with Over 1-Year Highs and Is No. 1 Most-Tweeted TV Episode of 2017 with 1.7 Million Tweets
Freeform spins the numbers for Tuesday, June 27.

[06/28/17 - 01:29 PM]
Viceland Brings Two Docu-Series to Air in July with "Last Chance High" and "Funny How?"
The former is an eight-part documentary series is adapted and updated from the acclaimed 2014 Vice News web series focused on the students at Moses Montefiore Academy, a school for the most troubled youth on Chicago's tumultuous West Side.

[06/28/17 - 01:24 PM]
FOX Sports Loads Bases for 2017 MLB All-Star Game
Superstars from the American and National Leagues face off in the 2017 All-Star Game from Marlins Park in Miami, Fla., on Tuesday, July 11, with pregame coverage beginning at 7:30 PM ET on the FOX broadcast network.

[06/28/17 - 01:22 PM]
Paula Patton Stars as a Mother Desperate to Change Fate and Prevent a Murder, on the Series Premiere of ABC's "Somewhere Between," Monday, July 24
The second episode will now air on Tuesday, July 25 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT) during its new regular night and time.

[06/28/17 - 01:00 PM]
FX Networks Promotes Current Series Executives Colette Wilson and Barbara Crawford and Development's Kevin Wandell
"Colette, Barbara and Kevin have been integral to the growth and success of FX Networks' slate of original programs and we are happy that they will be playing an even greater role going forward," said Nick Grad and Eric Schrier.

[06/28/17 - 12:36 PM]
Showtime(R) Announces Multi-Part NBA Documentary Film with Executive Producers LeBron James, Maverick Carter and Filmmaker Gotham Chopra
"We are thrilled to be collaborating with LeBron, Maverick and Gotham on what will be a comprehensive look at one of the most influential sports institutions in the world," said Stephen Espinoza.

[06/28/17 - 12:13 PM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC, "Got Talent" Hold Off ABC, "Bachelorette" Special
The Peacock easily wins the evening in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[06/28/17 - 11:48 AM]
"The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" Records Its Most-Watched Quarter Ever Led by Its Most-Watched Month Ever in June
Comedy Central further spins the numbers for the quarter to date.

[06/28/17 - 11:01 AM]
Cartoon Network Sets "OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes" for an Epic One-Hour Series Premiere Tuesday, Aug. 1 at 6:30 p.m. (ET/PT)
The show follows K.O., an endlessly optimistic kid attempting to be the greatest hero he can be in a video game inspired world set in Lakewood Plaza.

[06/28/17 - 10:54 AM]
"Top Gear America" Premieres Sunday, July 30, 8/7c on BBC America
William Fichtner, Antron Brown and Tom "Wookie" Ford topline the latest installment in the franchise.

[06/28/17 - 10:35 AM]
"Under the Influence" New Original Series - The Troubled Stories of Heath Ledger and River Phoenix Are the Focus of the Series Premiere on Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9pm ET/6pm PT
Future episodes include Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears, Lauryn Hill and Amy Winehouse, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Cory Monteith, John Belushi and Chris Farley and George Michael and Prince.

[06/28/17 - 10:15 AM]
"Treehouse Masters" Returns to Animal Planet for an All-New Season on August 4 at 9PM/ET
This season, Pete Nelson and his crew will take on new build locations, including Norway for their first ever international treehouse build, and a very special treehouse for singer-songwriter Grace Vanderwaal.

[06/28/17 - 10:02 AM]
Amazon Prime Video to Be Exclusive Premium Subscription Home for the CBS Series "Salvation"
Unlimited streaming and downloading of all the series' episodes will be available to Prime members four days after their initial broadcast on CBS.

[06/28/17 - 10:00 AM]
FX Networks Sets Premiere Dates for "You're the Worst" and "Better Things"
The comedies are due back Wednesday, September 6 and Thursday, September 14 on FXX and FX, respectively.

[06/28/17 - 09:54 AM]
Video: Netflix Unveils Trailer and Art for "Daughters of Destiny"
The four-part original documentary series chronicles the lives of five girls from Indian families who are among the so-called "Dalit" caste and most impoverished communities in the world.