[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[02/26/17 - 08:37 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Holds Off Demo Competition
The Alphabet's NBA coverage leads the night among adults 18-49.

[02/26/17 - 08:34 AM]
"SNL" Encore Is #1 for the Night in 18-49 Metered Market Results
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, February 25.

[02/25/17 - 09:06 PM]
Science Channel Crowns New MythBusters During Live Broadcast of "MythBusters: The Search"
"The competition was stiff and the myth-busting all season has been mind-blowing. In the end though, there could only be two winners," said Marc Etkind.

[02/25/17 - 08:43 AM]
ABC Wins Friday with "Shark Tank" as the #1 Show for the 6th Week Running
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, February 24.

[02/25/17 - 08:30 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Edges Out Competition in Adults 18-49
"Shark Tank" sparks another demo victory for the Alphabet.

[02/25/17 - 08:26 AM]
"Grimm" Matches Its 18-49 High Since the Show's Season Premiere
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, February 24.

[02/25/17 - 07:04 AM]
Video: BBC America Releases "Doctor Who" New Companion Trailer
Peter Capaldi (the Doctor) will be joined this season by Pearl Mackie (new companion Bill) and Matt Lucas (assistant Nardole), with guest appearances from David Suchet and Michelle Gomez.

[02/24/17 - 11:46 PM]
Development Update: Friday, February 24
Updates include: Freddie Highmore is ABC's "Good Doctor"; Cress Williams to play title role in The CW's "Black Lightning"; and Matt Czuchry cast in FOX's "The Resident."

[02/24/17 - 04:46 PM]
The Second Season of "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" Will Premiere Wednesday, March 8
The series will replace newcomer "Doubt" in the 10:00/9:00c hour.

[02/24/17 - 03:13 PM]
Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Warren Beatty, Sofia Boutella, Matt Damon and More Announced as Final Slate of 89th Oscars(R) Presenters
Also on tap: Faye Dunaway, Michael J. Fox, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek, Taraji P. Henson, Dev Patel, Seth Rogen, Octavia Spencer, Meryl Streep and Vince Vaughn.

[02/24/17 - 01:09 PM]
E! Exclusive Premiere of "Fifty Shades of Grey" to Air Sunday, March 5 at 7:30 PM ET/PT
The telecast will be followed by the debut of the network's second scripted series "The Arrangement."

[02/24/17 - 11:38 AM]
Platinum-Selling Artists Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello to Perform at "Nickelodeon's 2017 Kids' Choice Awards"
Hosted by WWE Superstar John Cena, the show will air live on Saturday, March 11 from USC's Galen Center in Los Angeles.

[02/24/17 - 10:11 AM]
Animated Adult Television Series "Animals.," Created by Phil Matarese & Mike Luciano, from Duplass Brothers Productions, Returns for Its Second Season March 17, Exclusively on HBO
The series is also available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and affiliate portals.

[02/24/17 - 10:04 AM]
Video: The Story of "The Handmaid's Tale"
The 10-episode first season premieres Wednesday, April 26 on Hulu.

[02/24/17 - 09:30 AM]
Tracy Morgan Comes to Netflix with All-New Stand-Up Comedy Special Launching Tuesday, May 16th
Tracy Morgan's "Staying Alive" finds the comedy icon exploring his fresh take on life, career and mortality in the wake of surviving a devastating near-fatal traffic collision in 2014.