[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[03/23/17 - 02:46 PM]
CBS Announces Mario Lopez as Host of "Candy Crush" Premiering Sunday, July 9 on CBS
In the new CBS series, the game that has become a worldwide phenomenon comes to life as teams of two people use their wits and physical agility to compete on enormous, interactive game boards featuring next generation technology.

[03/23/17 - 02:32 PM]
National Geographic Announces Ensemble Cast for Global Scripted Event Series "The Long Road Home," Based on Martha Raddatz's New York Times Best-Seller
Michael Kelly, Jason Ritter, E.J. Bonilla, Kate Bosworth, Sarah Wayne Callies, Noel Fisher and Jeremy Sisto star in the eight-part series.

[03/23/17 - 01:49 PM]
Bobby Moynihan Cast as Titular Voice of "Happy" for Syfy!
Moynihan joins the previously announced cast led by Chris Meloni, along with Lili Mirojnick, Patrick Fischler, Ritchie Coster and Zabryna Guevara.

[03/23/17 - 01:31 PM]
Amazon Studios to Launch Season Two of "Fortitude" on Prime Video in the US on Friday, April 14
Season two resumes as an Amazon Original Series with noted actor Dennis Quaid (Vantage Point) joining the ensemble cast.

[03/23/17 - 11:15 AM]
Eliza Dushku Joins the #1 New Series "Bull"
Dushku will play J.P. Nunnelly, the savvy head of the best criminal defense firm in New York, who is hired by Dr. Jason Bull (Michael Weatherly) when a member of his Trial Analysis Corporation team faces prison time.

[03/23/17 - 10:35 AM]
Spike TV Renews "Ink Master" for Season Ten and Greenlights "Ink Master Angels" Special
Season 9 of "Ink Master" debuts this June along with new episodes of spin-off series "Ink Master: Redemption."

[03/23/17 - 10:14 AM]
Final Four Episodes of "Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman" Beginning April 25 at 10PM on Science Channel
Freeman will challenge audiences once again to think about daring questions while taking a deeper look at the science behind topics such as hidden forces in the universe, aging, the future of Earth, and gun violence.

[03/23/17 - 10:07 AM]
Peabody Award-Winning Drama Series "The Leftovers" Returns for Its Third and Final Season April 16 on HBO
The Peabody Award-winning drama series follows the lives that were forever changed by the event that shook the world on October 14.

[03/23/17 - 09:25 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: "Empire" Returns on Top for FOX
The network leads the night among adults 18-49.

[03/23/17 - 09:06 AM]
Video: "The Handmaid's Tale" Full-Length Trailer Now Available
The series premieres with three episodes on April 26 with subsequent episodes streaming weekly on Wednesdays.

[03/23/17 - 09:03 AM]
E!'s "Second Wives Club" Premieres Thursday May 4th at 9PM ET/PT
The eight-episode, hour-long docu-series - previously known as "Famously Married" - follows six women who are married or engaged to wealthy, powerful men.

[03/23/17 - 09:01 AM]
Starz to Premiere Comedy Legend Documentary, "Robert Klein Still Can't Stop His Leg," on Network Television on March 31st
Klein, Billy Crystal, Bill Maher, Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart, Jay Leno, Don Rickles and Ray Romano are among those featured.

[03/23/17 - 09:00 AM]
History's New Series "Road Hauks" Premieres Saturday, April 8 Following the Return of "Counting Cars"
Kenny Hauk and his crew of expert mechanics and fabricators at Hauk Designs are history buffs who pride themselves on the ability to make builds that are both historic and have high-horsepower.

[03/23/17 - 08:02 AM]
Unbreakable! First Look and Guest Stars Announced for "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" Season 3
This season brings some incredible new guest stars to Kimmy's world, including Laura Dern, Daveed Diggs, Rachel Dratch, Ray Liotta, Andrea Martin and Maya Rudolph.

[03/23/17 - 08:00 AM]
CBS Renews 18 Series for the 2017-2018 Season
Among the pickups are newcomers "Bull," "Kevin Can Wait," "MacGyver," "Man with a Plan" and "Superior Donuts."