[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[05/27/16 - 10:31 AM]
AMC Is Now Home to Five of the Top 10 Shows on Cable TV and Two of the Top Three Cable Premieres This Television Season
AMC spins the numbers for the season to date.

[05/27/16 - 10:07 AM]
Pittsburgh Penguins Host San Jose Sharks in Game 1 of Stanley Cup Final Monday, May 30 - Memorial Day - at 8 P.M. ET on NBC
The Sharks advanced to their first Stanley Cup Final in franchise history with a 5-2 win in Game 6 of the Western Conference Final vs. St. Louis, while Pittsburgh advanced with a 2-1 win in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

[05/27/16 - 08:28 AM]
Night 1 of "500 Questions" Dominates Its Thursday Unscripted Competition
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 26.

[05/27/16 - 08:23 AM]
NBC's "The Red Nose Day Special" Draws a 0.6/2 and 2.155 Million Viewers Overall
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 26.

[05/27/16 - 07:11 AM]
Destination America Steps Into the Darkest Town in America in the All-New Series "Ghosts of Shepherdstown"
The six-part series launches Sunday, June 12 at 10:00/9:00c on the cable channel.

[05/27/16 - 06:00 AM]
2nd Annual Red Nose Day Raises Over $31.5 Million for Kids in Need, Over 70 Stars Join NBC for Live Charity Event "The Red Nose Day Special"
Elton John, Julia Roberts, Jack Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Tracy Morgan, Blake Shelton, Will Ferrell and Zac Efron were among the many celebrities who appeared in the live, two-hour charity television event.

[05/26/16 - 03:11 PM]
ITV and Hulu Commission Exciting Eight-Part Drama Series "Harlots"
Acclaimed actresses Samantha Morton, Lesley Manville and Jessica Brown Findlay are set to star in the series, which will be produced by Monumental Pictures.

[05/26/16 - 02:37 PM]
"Comedy Bang! Bang!" Gets "Weird" with a One-Week Free Preview of This Season's Premiere Episode
IFC is previewing the first episode of this upcoming season free on IFC.com, through the IFC mobile app, On Demand and wherever the internet lives one week before it premieres on IFC on Friday, June 3.

[05/26/16 - 02:32 PM]
"Brett Gelman's Dinner in America" Special Premieres Friday, July 1st at Midnight (ET/PT) on Adult Swim
The premise is simple: A roundtable discussion in which Brett attempts to engage four distinguished actors - Loretta Devine, Shareeka Epps, Joe Morton and Mack Wilds - in an open forum on racism.

[05/26/16 - 01:43 PM]
AMC.com Releases the Director's Commentary on the "Preacher" Pilot
Series executive producers and directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg give viewers an exclusive inside look at the premiere episode.

[05/26/16 - 12:52 PM]
CBS to Finish "Angel from Hell," "Rush Hour" Runs on Saturday Nights
Look for the former to return on Saturday, July 2 while the latter will resume on Saturday, July 23.

[05/26/16 - 12:41 PM]
Video: Showtime(R) Drops the New Trailer for Its Music Series "Roadies," The First Original Series from Oscar(R) Winner Cameron Crowe
The series gives an insider's look at the reckless, romantic, funny and often poignant lives of a committed group of roadies who live for music and the de facto family they've formed along the way.

[05/26/16 - 12:07 PM]
Michael Bloom Joins TBS & TNT as Senior Vice President of Unscripted Series and Specials
Most recently, Bloom was instrumental in forging the architecture for ELeague, the new eSports co-venture between Turner and WME | IMG.

[05/26/16 - 12:03 PM]
Kobe Bryant Named "Athlete of the Decade" by Spike TV
Spike TV proudly honors the Lakers' iconic superstar with its first ever "Athlete of the Decade" award to be presented at the network's 10th Annual "Guys Choice" event.

[05/26/16 - 12:02 PM]
WGN America's "Outsiders" Star David Morse Throws Out First Pitch at the Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Arizona Diamondbacks Game, In Celebration of the Start of Production on the Hit Series' Season Two
Morse's first pitch comes on the heels of Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto declaring Wednesday, May 18 "Outsiders Day," with a proclamation ceremony at City Hall.