[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[05/29/15 - 01:19 PM]
Video: TLC's "Return to Amish" and "Gypsy Sisters" Season Premieres Sunday, May 31st at 9/8c
Check out the superteases for the new seasons of both series.

[05/29/15 - 12:30 PM]
Video: Get Ready for the Slime-Soaked Premiere of "Boom!," Hosted by Tom Papa
FOX's latest summer entry launches Thursday, June 25 at 8:00/7:00c.

[05/29/15 - 12:24 PM]
"The Tonight Show," "Late Night" Win May Sweep in 18-49 and Other Key Demos
NBC spins the late-night numbers for the May sweeps period.

[05/29/15 - 11:53 AM]
Showtime(R) Unveils Poster Art and Official Teaser for Season Three of the Hit Series "Ray Donovan," Starring Emmy(R) Nominee Liev Schreiber
The new season bows Sunday, July 12 at 9:00/8:00c on the pay channel.

[05/29/15 - 10:00 AM]
Video: Starz Releases New Teasers for "Ash vs Evil Dead"
"Ash vs Evil Dead," which is currently in production in New Zealand, is the long-awaited follow-up to the classic horror film franchise The Evil Dead and is set to premiere this fall.

[05/29/15 - 10:00 AM]
"Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted" Will Debut Saturday, August 22 Exclusively on HBO
Featuring the Grammy nominee in an all-new standup performance before a live audience, Notaro's first HBO comedy special will tape in Boston this coming Sunday, May 31 at the Wilbur Theatre.

[05/29/15 - 09:44 AM]
Spike TV's Hit Original Series "Bar Rescue" Returns with New Episodes Sunday, June 21 at 9:00PM ET/PT
"Bar Rescue" is back with more all new episodes featuring bars across America in dire need of one last shot at success.

[05/29/15 - 08:38 AM]
"500 Questions" Finale Is Up to Earn 2-Year Highs for ABC in Its Thursday Slot
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 28.

[05/29/15 - 08:37 AM]
USA Network Teams Up with Dubsmash to Become the First Basic Cable Network Partner with a Branded Channel for "Chrisley Knows Best"
The Chrisley family will be joining in on the fun and creating their very own Dubsmash videos throughout the course of the season, which will be shared over the show's official social media handles.

[05/29/15 - 08:34 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: FOX Tops Tight Demo Race
"Bones" and "Wayward Pines" help lead the network among adults 18-49.

[05/29/15 - 08:22 AM]
NBC Comes in #2 for the Night in the 18-49 Demo Against the Big 4 Networks
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 28.

[05/29/15 - 07:57 AM]
ABC Grows by Double Digits to Its Best Late-Night Performance in 4 Weeks
ABC spins the late-night numbers for the week of May 18-22.

[05/29/15 - 07:43 AM]
American Heroes Channel Reveals "What History Forgot" in Exclusive New Series
The six-part series premieres on Tuesday, June 2 at 10:00/9:00c.

[05/29/15 - 07:02 AM]
2015 "CMT Music Awards" Will Be Pitch Perfect as Erin Andrews and Brittany Snow Host the Loudest Night in Country Music Live from Nashville on Wednesday, June 10 at 8:00 PM ET/PT
"Being a huge fan of country music, the CMT Music Awards are one of my favorite events of the season," said Andrews.

[05/28/15 - 08:49 PM]
Countdown to Everlasting Love and Marriage with Hallmark Channel with Original Movie Romances and a "Home & Family" Primetime Special
The network releases its revised programming stunt details for next month.