[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[10/23/14 - 06:20 PM]
ABC Gives Additional Episodes to Eight Series
Among the pickups: Wednesday comedies "The Middle," "The Goldbergs," "Modern Family" and "Black-ish," all of which will now produce 24 episodes this season.

[10/23/14 - 02:43 PM]
Video: "The Americans" - Flying Colors
FX releases its first tease of the new season, premiering in January.

[10/23/14 - 01:40 PM]
World Series Game 2 Powers FOX to Second-Straight Prime Time Victory
FOX Sports spins the numbers for Wednesday, October 22.

[10/23/14 - 12:53 PM]
CBS News Announces 2014 Election Coverage
Look for a special one-hour broadcast at 10:00 PM, ET/PT on Tuesday, November 4.

[10/23/14 - 12:33 PM]
A New Cast of Characters Is Ready to Join the Party When "Party Down South 2" Premieres Thursday, November 20 at 9 P.M., ET/PT
Marking the beginning of a franchise for the hit series, the one-hour, 12-episode season follows this rowdy group of eight as they arrive in Biloxi, Miss. ready to shotgun the summer.

[10/23/14 - 12:20 PM]
Discovery Channel Serves Up Global Multiplatform Experience & Content as Fans Count Down to "Skyscraper Live with Nik Wallenda"
Discovery has launched SkyscraperLive.com, a global digital destination available in 60 countries and 14 languages, taking viewers to the edge of all of the heart-pounding excitement.

[10/23/14 - 12:11 PM]
Football Helps ESPN Win the Night 11 Times among all Viewers
ESPN spins the numbers for the season to date.

[10/23/14 - 11:00 AM]
Additional Talent Confirmed for "The Concert for Valor," To Be Presented Live on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., Tuesday, Nov. 11
New additions to the live music lineup include The Black Keys and Jessie J.

[10/23/14 - 11:00 AM]
Courtney Love Joins "Empire" on FOX - Singer-Songwriter/Musician/Actress to Appear as Recurring Guest Star
She'll play a hard rock powerhouse, who is part of Empire Entertainment's stable of artists.

[10/23/14 - 10:42 AM]
WE tv's Scripted Supernatural Thriller, "South of Hell," Begins Production in Charleston, SC - Mena Suvari Cast in Lead Role
Zachary Booth, Bill Irwin, Drew Moerlein, Lamman Rucker and Paulina Singer will also star in the eight-episode series, which will premiere in 2015.

[10/23/14 - 10:41 AM]
"The Tonight Show" Defeats ABC, CBS Late-Night Competition in 18-49, Total Viewers for Week of Oct. 13-17
NBC spins the numbers for the week of October 13-17.

[10/23/14 - 10:24 AM]
LMN Presents New Original Documentary "Footsteps in the Snow" Premiering Wednesday, November 12 at 8PM ET
Weaving together the gripping tale dating back to 1957, the two-hour special recounts the chilling story of the coldest case in American history ever to be solved - the murder of Maria Ridulph.

[10/23/14 - 10:22 AM]
Get Real Stories About Life Beyond the Spotlight from Former Reality Show Phenoms When "True Hollywood Story: Life After Reality" Premieres This Thursday, October 23rd @ 8:00PM ET/PT on E!
Tila Tequila, Jay McCarroll, Megan Hauserman, Terry Fator and Tracy DiMarco Epstein are among those featured in the one-hour special.

[10/23/14 - 10:17 AM]
"House of Lies" Welcomes Mary McCormack and Alicia Witt
McCormack will play Denna Altshuler, a tough, highly successful white knight investor who Marty (Don Cheadle) recruits to help save Kaan & Associates.

[10/23/14 - 09:48 AM]
Video: Pop Group Sensation Fifth Harmony Performs a Remix of New Kids on the Block "The Right Stuff" on an All-New "Faking It" Airing Tuesday, October 28 at 10:30 P.M. ET/PT on MTV
In the episode, Shane, Amy and Lauren attend an underground dance party where an all-girl band takes center stage.