[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[09/30/16 - 09:27 AM]
Olivia Williams and Harry Lloyd Join JK Simmons in Starz & MRC's Spy Thriller "Counterpart"
Plus: Academy Award(R) nominee Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game, Passengers) will direct the first episode.

[09/30/16 - 08:57 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Grey's Anatomy" Tops Viewers, Demos for ABC
The Alphabet's mainstay and NBC's "The Blacklist" are the only series to post year-to-year gains among adults 18-49.

[09/30/16 - 08:38 AM]
Centuries-Old Homes Return to Their Former Glory in DIY Network's "Restoring Charleston"
Premiering on Wednesday, October 5, the series follows Trent Fasnacht and his team as they tear out old additions and rotten materials to recreate homes as the first builder intended.

[09/30/16 - 08:13 AM]
Video: Netflix's "The Ranch Part 2" Trailer Is Here
The series returns with 10 new episodes Friday, October 7, everywhere where Netflix is available.

[09/30/16 - 08:00 AM]
"Snowfall" Ordered to Series on FX
Production on the 10-episode first season will begin in October and debut on FX in 2017.

[09/30/16 - 07:32 AM]
Supermodel Naomi Campbell to Be Featured in a Recurring Role on FOX's New Series, "Star"
Campbell will play the role of "Rose Spencer," the beautiful, wealthy and cultivated London-born mother of "Alexandra."

[09/30/16 - 03:43 AM]
SundanceTV Announces New Six Part Series "Liar" from Two Brothers Pictures Starring Joanne Froggatt and Ioan Gruffudd
"Liar" tells the story of a night that changes the lives of Laura Newell (Joanne Froggatt) and Andrew Ellis (Ioan Gruffudd) forever.

[09/29/16 - 01:47 PM]
Actress Monica Potter Renovates Her Childhood Home in New HGTV Series "Welcome Back Potter"
Premiering on Tuesday, October 11, the series follows Monica, her mom, Nancy, and three outspoken sisters, Jessica, Brigette and Kerry, as they tackle the massive whole-home renovation.

[09/29/16 - 01:10 PM]
ABC Gives Full-Season Orders to "Designated Survivor" and "Speechless"
Nine additional episodes of both series, from Twentieth Century Fox Television and ABC Studios, and The Mark Gordon Company and ABC Studios respectively, have been ordered.

[09/29/16 - 12:01 PM]
Jared Harris Boards AMC's Scripted Anthology "The Terror"
Additional casting includes Ciaran Hinds as Sir John Franklin; Paul Ready as Henry Goodsir; and Adam Nagaitis as Cornelius Hickey.

[09/29/16 - 11:47 AM]
Video: Superhero Fight Club 2.0 Sneak Peek
Check out the heroes of The CW's DC Comics-based TV series.

[09/29/16 - 10:49 AM]
Global Superpowers Stand Off in American Heroes Channel's All-New Series "Cold War Armaggedon"
Premiering Wednesday, October 12, the new eight-part series transports viewers back forty years as the horrors of World War II ended, and a new kind of war began.

[09/29/16 - 08:47 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: FOX Tops Charts with "Empire"
ABC's "Designated Survivor" however is the only series to post year-to-year gains for its network.

[09/29/16 - 08:30 AM]
Freeform Acquires All Five Seasons of "The Mindy Project" - Series Begins Airing on Monday, October 3
Episodes will also be available on the Freeform App on October 3 and will refresh weekly.

[09/29/16 - 08:00 AM]
Season Three of E!'s Scandalous Scripted Drama Series "The Royals" Premieres Sunday, December 4 at 10PM ET/PT
New faces joining the cast this season include series regular Max Brown, reoccurring guest star Jules Knight and guest star Damian Hurley.