[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[06/20/18 - 08:14 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC, "Got Talent" Cruise to Victory
The Peacock easily wins the night among adults 18-49 and total viewers.

[06/19/18 - 12:51 PM]
Paradise Found in New HGTV Series "My Aloha Dream Home" Premiering Friday, June 22, at 9 p.m. ET/PT
Real estate broker and attorney Wayne Chi helps clients find a tropical getaway to call home in the new HGTV series.

[06/19/18 - 11:30 AM]
NBC Announces Fall Premiere Dates for New 2018-19 Season
"The Voice" as is custom will kick things off on Monday, September 24 followed by the launch of new drama "Manifest."

[06/19/18 - 11:11 AM]
Academy Award(R) Winner John Ridley Joins EPIX(R) Series "Godfather of Harlem" Produced by ABC Signature Studios
The 10-episode series tells the story of infamous crime boss Bumpy Johnson (Forest Whitaker), who in the early 1960s, returned from ten years in prison to find the neighborhood he used to rule in shambles and his power gone.

[06/19/18 - 11:00 AM]
Starz Launches on YouTube TV
The networks' 14 Starz and Starz Encore channels are now available via YouTube TV for $9/month along with access to the network's full Starz and Starz Encore VOD catalogs.

[06/19/18 - 11:00 AM]
History Presents "Detroit: Comeback City," An Original Documentary Special to Premiere July 1
Narrated by Academy Award(R)-winner and Detroit native J.K. Simmons, the film chronicles how Detroit went from the engine of American capitalism to a city of ruins that is now on the cusp of an exciting rebirth.

[06/19/18 - 10:57 AM]
Contractor Mike Holmes and Son Mike Jr Star in New Season of DIY Network's "Holmes & Holmes" on July 10
Armed with Mike Sr.'s personal mission to "make it right," the 12-episode season will star the pair as they buy and transform three tired properties into dream homes.

[06/19/18 - 10:05 AM]
CBS TV Studios Announces 5-Year Production Deal with "Star Trek: Discovery" Producer Alex Kurtzman
As part of the new production deal, Kurtzman will supervise the expansion of CBS' "Star Trek" franchise for television, developing new series, mini-series and other content opportunities, including animation.

[06/19/18 - 10:02 AM]
Hulu Acquires Award-Winning Documentary "Crime + Punishment"
The premium streaming service will partner with IFC Films to release the documentary simultaneously in theaters and on Hulu on August 24.

[06/19/18 - 09:40 AM]
CNBC's New Primetime Series "Deadly Rich" Debuts July 9 at 10PM ET/PT
From the producers of "American Greed," the 10 episode true-crime series takes viewers inside the lives and deaths of the one percent, exposing the dirty little secrets of how big money drives people to the ultimate sin.

[06/19/18 - 09:30 AM]
Season Four of Bounce's Hit Comedy "In The Cut" Set to Premiere Mon. July 2 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT
The series stars Dorien Wilson as Jay Weaver, an accomplished entrepreneur and barbershop owner who is kept on his toes by Cheryl, played by Kellita Smith, the co-owner of the beauty salon next door and his love interest-turned-fiancee.

[06/19/18 - 09:14 AM]
FOX Sports' Presentation of 2018 U.S. Open Championship Is Most-Watched U.S. Open Since 2015
FOX Sports spins the numbers for its coverage to date.

[06/19/18 - 08:12 AM]
Monday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, "The Bachelorette" Hold Off Competition
The Alphabet takes home top honors in total viewers and adults 18-49.

[06/19/18 - 08:02 AM]
Video: Trailer - "Last Chance U" - New Season, New U
The quaint town of Independence, Kansas, is the new setting, as the underdog Pirates of Independence Community College have a chance to finally stand tall after more than a decade of losses.

[06/19/18 - 07:32 AM]
Video: Featurette Debut - It's "GLOW" Up Time! Watch the Cast Transform Behind the Scenes
Season two launches globally on Netflix next Friday, June 29.