[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[08/27/14 - 09:13 AM]
"Mr. Pickles" and "Squidbillies" Dominate With an Animation Doubleheader!
Look for both series on Sunday nights beginning September 21 at 11:30/10:30c.

[08/27/14 - 09:04 AM]
MTV's Hit Matchmaking Series "Are You the One?" Returns on Monday, October 6 at 10:00 P.M. ET/PT
Adding to the drama this season is a twist that will make finding the perfect match more challenging, as an eleventh girl will join the house as a double match for one of the guys.

[08/27/14 - 09:01 AM]
CBS Announces the 18 Castaways Competing on "Survivor"
The Emmy Award-winning series returns for its 29th season with a special 90-minute premiere, Wednesday, September 24 at 8:00/7:00c.

[08/27/14 - 08:51 AM]
"America's Got Talent" Wins Its Two-Hour Time Period Among the Big 4 by a Margin of 91% and by 65% in Total Viewers
NBC spins the numbers for Tuesday, August 26.

[08/27/14 - 08:35 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: Another Week, Another "Got Talent" Win for NBC
The show's latest installment leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[08/27/14 - 08:32 AM]
Night 2 "Bachelor in Paradise" 2-Night Event Holds Steady from Night 1 In Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
ABC spins the numbers for Tuesday, August 26.

[08/27/14 - 08:31 AM]
El Rey Network and Mark Burnett's One Three Media Announce Production Start on "Lucha Underground"
The character-driven, freestyle wrestling series is set to debut Wednesday, October 8 at 8:00/7:00c.

[08/27/14 - 08:31 AM]
Bounce TV Announces Bounce TV Summer Music Festival 2014
Perennial R&B powerhouse Maze featuring Frankie Beverly and Grammy(R)-Award winning great Patti LaBelle will headline the 11-city tour which launches in Dallas on August 29.

[08/27/14 - 08:13 AM]
Relive the Craziest Moments in "Ink Master" History and Vote on the Most Insane Moment During "You Choose Live" Before Season Five Premiere
"You Choose Live" telecasts immediately before the season five premiere of "Ink Master," airing Tuesday, September 2.

[08/27/14 - 08:07 AM]
American Heroes Channel Presents World Television Premiere of Critically Acclaimed Documentary Film "The Hornet's Nest" on Thursday, September 11 at 9/8c
The film follows Emmy Award-winning journalists Mike Boettcher and his son, Carlos Boettcher, as they are embedded with U.S. forces fighting on the front lines in Afghanistan.

[08/27/14 - 08:04 AM]
Three Episodes of Cinemax Series "The Knick" to Be Presented on HBO on Labor Day
Following a hiatus this week, "The Knick" returns with new episodes on Friday, September 5 at 10:00/9:00c.

[08/27/14 - 06:04 AM]
Amazon to Debut Jill Soloway's Highly-Anticipated Dark Comedy "Transparent" on September 26 in the US and UK
Jeffrey Tambor, Judith Light, Gaby Hoffmann, Amy Landecker and Jay Duplass star in the 10-episode series.

[08/27/14 - 06:00 AM]
Fan Favorite Chris Soules Searches for Love Again on ABC's Hit Romance Reality Series, "The Bachelor," When It Returns to ABC in January 2015
Soules, the stylish farmer from Iowa, was sent home by Andi Dorfman on "The Bachelorette."

[08/26/14 - 03:03 PM]
Video: Two New Teasers for "American Horror Story: Freak Show"
Get your first taste of the franchise's newest installment, premiering Wednesday, October 8 at 10:00/9:00c on FX.

[08/26/14 - 02:26 PM]
2015 NBC Sports Group NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series Schedules Announced
NBC's coverage of the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series begins Sunday, July 5 with flag-to-flag coverage from Daytona in primetime, while Nationwide Series coverage begins Saturday, July 4.