[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[02/12/16 - 02:05 PM]
MTV's Comedy Darlings, "Awkward" and "Faking It" Return with Plenty of Surprises on Tuesday, March 15 at 10PM and 10:30PM ET/PT
The second half of "Awkward" season 5 kicks off at the beginning of summer, a year after we last saw Jenna and her friends.

[02/12/16 - 02:01 PM]
Jamie-Lynn Sigler Signs on to Guest Star on Freeform's Hit Series "Baby Daddy"
Sigler will portray Sarah Gilcrest, the "hot teacher" from Ben's high school days.

[02/12/16 - 01:19 PM]
Discovery Family Channel Celebrates Valentine's Day with a Weekend Filled with Shows Dedicated to Love and Friendship
The network will offer something for every member of the household from animated series such as "Strawberry Shortcake," "My Little Pony" and "Littlest Pet Shop" to special episodes of "Cake Boss" and some beloved films from a recent past.

[02/12/16 - 01:18 PM]
Discovery Family Channel Celebrates President's Day with a Special Programming Line Up
Look for a special presentation of "Broadway at the White House" and the film "The American President" on Monday, February 15.

[02/12/16 - 01:02 PM]
LEGO Star Wars Animated Short Featuring "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Characters to Debut Monday, February 15 on Disney XD
"Poe to the Rescue" is the first episode in "LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises," a series of all-new animated shorts that take place prior to the First Order's attack on Jakku.

[02/12/16 - 11:04 AM]
Video: "Confirmation" - Long Lead Tease (HBO Films)
The Kerry Washington-led film premieres Saturday, April 16 on the pay channel.

[02/12/16 - 10:22 AM]
Video: "Veep" Season 5 - Clip Tease (HBO)
The series returns for its 10-episode fifth season on Sunday, April 24.

[02/12/16 - 10:15 AM]
Syfy Greenlights Original Sci-Fi Thriller "Prototype" to Pilot
The project centers on three unlikely cohorts who inadvertently stumble upon an invention that challenges the very nature of quantum physics - a discovery which in turn puts their lives in grave danger.

[02/12/16 - 09:39 AM]
Video: AMC Releases a First-Look Trailer for the Upcoming Mini-Series Event "The Night Manager" Premiering on Tuesday, April 19 at 10 PM ET/PT
Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Olivia Colman, Tom Hollander and Elizabeth Debicki star in the project.

[02/12/16 - 09:04 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, FOX Split Demo Crown
FOX however is the most-watched network on the night.

[02/12/16 - 09:03 AM]
Showtime(R) Kicks Off Grammy(R) Weekend by Unveiling the Official Trailer for Cameron Crowe's New Music Series "Roadies"
Luke Wilson and Carla Gugino star in the project, premiering Sunday, June 26 at 10:00/9:00c.

[02/12/16 - 09:01 AM]
AMC to Air Live After Show "Talking Saul" Following "Better Call Saul" Season Two Premiere and Finale Episodes
Hosted by comic and super-fan Chris Hardwick, the hour-long talk show will feature series cast, producers, celebrity fans and more reacting to and discussing the twists and turns.

[02/12/16 - 08:56 AM]
"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" Holds Steady in Week 4
The CW spins the numbers for Thursday, February 11.

[02/12/16 - 08:38 AM]
"Shades of Blue" Maintains 100% Week to Week, Despite the Return of "How to Get Away with Murder"
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, February 11.

[02/12/16 - 08:19 AM]
ABC Is No. 1 on Thursday in Adults 18-49 with the Return of TGIT Delivering the Night's Top 3 Dramas
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, February 11.