[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[05/24/17 - 11:54 AM]
Science Channel's "Space's Deepest Secrets" Deciphers Strange Signals from Alien Worlds to Determine If We Are Really Alone in the Universe
The special episode tells the story of a genuine scientific mystery, the recent discovery, confirmation, and on-going attempts to understand the origin of Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs), enigmatic pulses from deep space that have so-far defied explanation.

[05/24/17 - 11:28 AM]
Crackle Set for Epic Rager with New Original Movie, "Party Boat," Starring Jay Mohr, Brett Davern, Beau Mirchoff, Sung Kang & Katie Leclerc
"Party Boat" focuses on 25-year-old Max, who is throwing his wildest party yet - a 25th birthday party for his best friend Kiley.

[05/24/17 - 11:02 AM]
ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live: Game Night" Returns for the 2017 NBA Finals
Kevin Hart, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Holland, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, Jamie Foxx and Billy Crystal are among those on tap.

[05/24/17 - 11:01 AM]
Freeform Unites Fankind with Monday Night Programming Block
This summer, Freeform, Disney's young adult television and streaming network, unites fankind with a Monday night programming block of back-to-back episodes of fan-favorite shows, "Shadowhunters" and "Stitchers."

[05/24/17 - 11:01 AM]
Season 24 Winner Joins the Cast of "Dancing with the Stars: Live! - Hot Summer Nights!" Touring America This Summer
Fans of the show have the opportunity to see the best ballroom dancers in the business perform live in their hometowns.

[05/24/17 - 10:32 AM]
Discovery Channel Announces Summer Slate of Original Programming
Discovery Channel's summer schedule is jam-packed with a wide variety of both fan favorites and all-new programming.

[05/24/17 - 10:11 AM]
"Hood Adjacent with James Davis" Debuts on Wednesday, June 28 at 9:00 P.M. ET/PT on Comedy Central
Born and raised in South Central Los Angeles, one block away from where "shit goes down," James Davis shares his perspective on the world he grew up in and the world he grew up next to.

[05/24/17 - 09:58 AM]
A&E to Premiere "Biggie: The Life of Notorious B.I.G." (June 28) and "Who Killed Tupac?" (June 29) Under the Recently Relaunched "Biography" Banner
The first two hours of "Biggie: The Life of Notorious B.I.G." will kick-off on Wednesday, June 28 with the final hour airing Thursday, June 29.

[05/24/17 - 09:46 AM]
Video: "Game of Thrones" Season 7 - Official Trailer (HBO)
The new season rolls out Sunday, July 16 on the pay channel.

[05/24/17 - 09:01 AM]
"2017 CMT Music Awards" to Feature Superstar Pairings
In a performance sure to span multiple decades, Lady Antebellum will jam out with Earth, Wind & Fire, while country royalty, Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood will perform live together for the first time on any CMT stage.

[05/24/17 - 08:40 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: "The Voice" Goes Out on Top for NBC
The Peacock wins the night among adults 18-49 while the "Dancing with the Stars"-powered ABC is the most-watched broadcaster.

[05/24/17 - 08:06 AM]
Sunday Night Live: Leslie Jones to Host 2017 "BET Awards"
The 2017 "BET Awards" will air live on Sunday, June 25 at 8 pm ET from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, CA on BET.

[05/24/17 - 07:57 AM]
American Heroes Channel Pays Tribute to Our Armed Forces with Third Annual "Salute to Sacrifice" Programming Event
In its third year, "Salute to Sacrifice" is a multiplatform campaign dedicated to celebrating the heroes who selflessly defend our freedom, while creating a national dialogue for issues our veterans and troops face each day.

[05/24/17 - 07:53 AM]
NFL Pro Bowl Returns to Orlando - Will Air on ESPN and ABC
The annual matchup of AFC vs. NFC stars will begin at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 28, 2018 at Camping World Stadium.

[05/23/17 - 04:39 PM]
A Storm is Brewing as TNT's Hit Series "The Last Ship" Returns with a Thrilling Two-Hour Premiere on Aug. 20
Through its first three seasons, the show has ranked one of basic cable's Top 10 summer dramas with adults 18-49.