[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[03/02/15 - 01:04 PM]
Video: WGN America Releases the First Haunting Trailer for Highly-Anticipated Second Season of "Salem" Returning April 5th at 10 PM ET/9C
The haunting trailer features a first look at new recurring guest stars Lucy Lawless and Stuart Townsend who have joined the series for season two.

[03/02/15 - 01:00 PM]
E!'s New Series "Good Work" Celebrates the Good, The Bad and the Just Plain Wrong of Hollywood's Plastic Surgery and Beauty Craze
The new one-hour, six episode pop culture roundtable series features hosts RuPaul, Dr. Terry Dubrow and Sandra Vergara as they celebrate the "good work" and the "not so good work" of Hollywood celebs.

[03/02/15 - 12:47 PM]
Destination America Heads to Orlando, Florida for Brand New Episode Tapings of "Impact Wrestling"
Professional wrestlers will be competing in the ring amongst some of the best known in America including Kurt Angle, Bobby Lashley, and Chris Melendez.

[03/02/15 - 12:13 PM]
Viewers Spellbound by "Good Witch," Hallmark Channel's Newest Primetime Original Series
The Hallmark Channel spins the numbers for Saturday, February 28.

[03/02/15 - 12:01 PM]
Netflix Announces Dates for Upcoming Slate
Look for a new season of "Orange Is the New Black" on June 12 as well as the premieres of "Between," "Sense8" and "Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp" in the coming months.

[03/02/15 - 11:43 AM]
Smithsonian Channel(TM) Honors Passing of Leonard Nimoy This Week with Encore Presentations of "The Real Story: Star Trek"
The program charts Gene Roddenberry's meteoric rise to fame and extreme tactics to keep his series on the air.

[03/02/15 - 11:37 AM]
Robert Rodriguez to Direct Premiere Installment of El Rey Network/Miramax's "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series"
The second season kicks off in late summer 2015 on the cable channel.

[03/02/15 - 11:27 AM]
Discovery Channel's Hit Series "Fast N' Loud" Makes Some Noise with All-New Episodes Monday, March 23 at 9PM ET/PT
Car fanatics Richard Rawlings, Aaron Kaufman and the entire Gas Monkey Garage crew return with new builds and new episodes.

[03/02/15 - 11:08 AM]
Judge Judy Sheindlin, Host of Syndication's #1 Rated Show "Judge Judy," Signs Multiyear Deal Through 2020
The new deal includes a first-look production deal with Sheindlin's company Queen Bee Productions Inc.

[03/02/15 - 11:01 AM]
Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow... "Mob Wives" Season 5 Finale Set to Air on VH1 Wednesday, March 4 at 8:00 PM
Plus: Vivica A. Fox to host the season's two-part reunion special beginning Wednesday, March 11 at 8:00/7:00c.

[03/02/15 - 10:59 AM]
"Scandal" Stars Joe Morton, Kate Burton and Brian Letscher to Appear in Special Season Finale of GSN's "The Chase" Tuesday, March 10 at 8:00 P.M. ET/PT
The season four premiere on January 27 saw its highest rating ever for a premiere.

[03/02/15 - 10:24 AM]
Video: "The Red Road" Season 2 Official Trailer
The Jason Momoa-led drama returns Thursday, April 2 at 10:00/9:00c on SundanceTV.

[03/02/15 - 10:05 AM]
The World Television Premiere of "Ari Shaffir: Passive Aggressive" Debuts on Comedy Central on March 13 at Midnight ET/PT
For fans that can't wait for Shaffir's new material, the special will be available on March 13 on CC: Stand-Up Direct.

[03/02/15 - 10:02 AM]
HBO Secures Three-Year Broadcast Deal with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation
Taping live April 18 at Cleveland's Public Hall, the exclusive HBO special "2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony" debuts Saturday, May 30 at 8:00 p.m. (ET/PT) and marks the 30th anniversary of the event.

[03/02/15 - 10:01 AM]
Video: BBC America's "Orphan Black" First Full Trailer and Show Release Now Live
Season three plunges the clone sisterhood, Project Leda, into unexpected territory with the realization that they're not alone.