[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

A NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE: TENNIS LEGEND JIMMY CONNORS SITS DOWN WITH HARRY SMITH BEFORE THE RELEASE OF HIS TELL-ALL MEMOIR "THE OUTSIDER"

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

###

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

###

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

###

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

· ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS (NBC)

[08/17/17 - 12:55 PM]
Buddy and His Team of Skilled Bakers Return to TLC's "Cake Boss," with Early Premieres on the Network's TV Everywhere Platform, TLC GO
Look for five new episodes becoming available on TLC GO this Friday, August 18 and an additional five episodes on Friday, August 25.

[08/17/17 - 12:45 PM]
Freeform Gets Its Wings with First Original Christmas Movie, "Angry Angel," from Sony Pictures Television
From Golden Globe-nominated director and writer Will Gluck, the two-hour special holiday feature stars Jason Biggs, Brenda Song, Ricky Mabe, Andrew Bachelor and Andy Favreau.

[08/17/17 - 12:34 PM]
TBS's "Conan" Heads to Israel for a Special Primetime Episode to Air September 19
O'Brien plans to visit Tel Aviv and Jerusalem among other locales to be announced in the coming weeks.

[08/17/17 - 12:26 PM]
National Geographic Goes Inside ISIS in Powerful New Drama, "The State"
A compelling fictional story based on extensive research, "The State" follows the experiences of four young British men and women who have left their lives behind to join ISIS in Raqqah, Syria.

[08/17/17 - 12:20 PM]
Paramount Network's "Yellowstone" Starring Kevin Costner Begins Production on Location in Utah
The 10-episode series will be shot near Park City through December.

[08/17/17 - 12:10 PM]
truTV Announces Season Two Greenlight for 2017's Fastest Growing New Comedy - "I'm Sorry"
Season two of the half-hour comedy will return to truTV in 2018.

[08/17/17 - 11:06 AM]
MTV to Premiere "Dare to Live" with World Renowned Videographer Rory Kramer
The Chainsmokers, Rae Sremmurd, Shawn Mendes, Martin Garrix, Steve Aoki, Krewella, Khalid and Iggy Azalea are among the featured artists.

[08/17/17 - 10:35 AM]
A&E Network Commissions Original Documentary Series "Cultureshock" Produced by Morgan Spurlock's Warrior Poets and Entertainment Weekly
The eight-hour original documentary series looks at the untold stories behind watershed moments in pop culture that have had a lasting impact on our culture.

[08/17/17 - 10:06 AM]
Season Four of Comedy Central's "Nathan for You" Premieres Thursday, September 28 at 10:00 P.M. ET/PT
The comedy series returns on Thursday, September 21 with an hour-long special titled "Nathan For You: A Celebration," in which Nathan checks in with former guests of the show.

[08/17/17 - 09:43 AM]
Amateur Home Renovators Compete for the Prize of a Lifetime in the Return of "Game of Homes" on Discovery Family Beginning Monday, September 4 at 10/9c
The eight-episode second season features new homes, new contestants and a brand-new host.

[08/17/17 - 09:23 AM]
TLC Gets Spirited with the Return of "Kindred Spirits" and All-New Series "Evil Things"
Look for both series back-to-back beginning Friday, September 15 at 9:00/8:00c.

[08/17/17 - 09:06 AM]
Wallace Shawn to Guest Star on Amy Sherman-Palladino's "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"
Shawn will play Herb Smith, a self-proclaimed comedy writer who "shapes acts, writes jokes, and eats pastrami."

[08/17/17 - 09:00 AM]
Alan Jackson and Chris Stapleton Added to Performance Lineup for the "11th Annual ACM Honors(TM)" Sept. 15 on CBS
The show, dedicated to celebrating the special honorees and off-camera category winners from the "52nd Academy of Country Music Awards," will tape on Wednesday, August 23 at the historic Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.

[08/17/17 - 08:19 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC, "Got Talent" Hold Off ABC, "CMA Fest"
The Peacock edges the Alphabet by one-tenth of a ratings point among adults 18-49.

[08/17/17 - 08:06 AM]
Video: "Fire Chasers" - Netflix Original Documentary Series
"Fire Chasers" takes viewers into the heart of California's devastating recent wildfires alongside the brave men and women of Cal Fire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department.