[05/07/13 - 07:59 AM]
A NBC News Exclusive: Tennis Legend Jimmy Connors Sits Down with Harry Smith Before the Release of His Tell-All Memoir "The Outsider"
The interview will be featured on the Friday, May 10 installments of "Today" and "Rock Center with Brian Williams."

NEW YORK - May 7, 2013 - In a NBC News exclusive interview, tennis legend Jimmy Connors sits down with Harry Smith before the release of his tell-all memoir, The Outsider. In this raw and revealing interview, Connors addresses his compulsive gambling, controversial mother, infidelity, and for the first time - why his celebrated engagement to Chris Evert fell apart.On Friday, May 10 Jimmy Connors will be live on "TODAY" and later that night at 10p/9c on "Rock Center with Brian Williams," viewers will hear more about Connor's life story, in his own words.Sound bites follow - if used, must include mandatory credit with air date and time: "Rock Center with Brian Williams," Friday, May 10 at 10p/9c.

Why Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert split up

HARRY SMITH:From what I'm reading, it looks to me like she (Chris Evert) had an abortion. Did you and Chris have a conversation about this, about making a decision like that?

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, that was a certainly a decision that needed to be made. And -- you know, to face that together and to go through that together - was a necessity. Sure.

HARRY SMITH:It also sounds to me from the book like you were ready-- you were prepared to be a father. You would have been willing to be a father to that child.

JIMMY CONNORS:I was. But, you know, accepting responsibility was something that I've always done. I have never ever apologized for anything. I have felt if I do it, it's done. And that's the way I've always gone about it. And I was brought up that way.

Regarding the affair he had

HARRY SMITH:Your wife (Patti) has had a child. You have a little boy. You're having this very public affair. You even bring this woman to visit at your mother's house in Illinois. And in the end of the day, Patti takes you back.

JIMMY CONNORS:Well, I guess the best thing to say about that is I wrote the book as honest as I played tennis. Now, you know, I was right straight in your face. And I didn't complain about the way I played tennis. So I'm not complainin' about the way I wrote the book.

HARRY SMITH:Why ... let me just ask ... why did you stay?PATTI CONNORS:Bottom line is I loved him. I loved him. I came from a broken family. My mother and father were divorced when I was 19 months old. And you know, no one's infallible. We all make mistakes. And there is one word that is in the vocabulary, everyone who gets through life has to use. And it's called forgiveness.

JIMMY CONNORS:I think that it's been written many times that Patti Connors was a saint to put up with Jimmy Connors. And I've said that's the only thing the press really got right about my whole career. They don't know how right they are about that.

In response to his gambling addiction

HARRY SMITH:You had a Jones?

JIMMY CONNORS:I did. I had a problem.

HARRY SMITH:Did you ever figure out how much money you lost over the years?

JIMMY CONNORS:I mean, I didn't know when to quit I either had to break the bank or break me. And, you know, there's only one winner there. And it's not me. And if I won two games, I had three or four. If I won four, I had to win six. So I'd just keep until, you know, I'd explode.

HARRY SMITH:Did you go broke?

JIMMY CONNORS:No, there's somebody that wouldn't let me do that. Patti would not let me do that.

Don Nash is the executive producer of "Today" (Mon. - Fri. 7-11am). David Corvo is the senior executive producer, Alexandra Wallace is the executive producer and Brian Williams is the anchor and managing editor of "Rock Center with Brian Williams" (Fridays 10p/9c).

[may 2013]

[10/28/16 - 09:36 AM]
Nickelodeon's Kids Pick the President "Kids' Vote" Launches Today
The "Kids' Vote" results will be announced live on Saturday, November 5, at approximately 9:35 p.m.

[10/28/16 - 09:12 AM]
"The Walking Dead" Returns as the Biggest Show on Television for the Fifth Consecutive Season
AMC further spins the numbers for Sunday, October 23.

[10/28/16 - 09:05 AM]
TV One's Signature "Unsung" Series Returns Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 8 P.M. ET
Look for new installments spotlighting Hill Harper, Joe & Guy Torry, Bill Bellamy, Kurupt, Bobby Bland and Frankie Knuckles.

[10/28/16 - 08:56 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Charts with New Lineup
"The Big Bang Theory" leads the evening among total viewers and adults 18-49.

[10/28/16 - 08:12 AM]
Bravo Media's "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" Delivers Double the Drama with a Two-Part Reunion Beginning Sunday, November 6 at 10PM ET/PT
Host Andy Cohen encourages these women to leave no stone unturned and set the record straight during this explosive reunion.

[10/28/16 - 08:02 AM]
Investigation Discovery Launches Advocacy Campaign "Stop Hate in Your State"
"Stop Hate in Your State" is designed to cast a spotlight on hate crimes and provide easy steps viewers can take to stop them.

[10/28/16 - 07:49 AM]
MTV Classic to Air 24-Hours of Beavis & Butt-head "Buttoween (AKA Cornholio, Lord of the Harvest)"
Throughout "The Great Cornholiothon," fans will be invited on-air to answer Beavis & Butt-head trivia questions on Twitter for a chance to win MTV swag.

[10/27/16 - 08:10 PM]
NBC Drafts Jennifer Lopez to Executive Produce and Star in Tony Award-Winning Musical "Bye Bye Birdie Live!"
Lopez will star in the iconic role of "Rosie" and executive produce with her producing partners Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas and Benny Medina alongside award-winning film, TV, and live musical executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

[10/27/16 - 02:40 PM]
A&E Network to Premiere New Original Docuseries "Leah Remini: Scientology and The Aftermath"
Remini, along with high level former Scientology executives and Church members, delves deep into shocking stories of abuse, heartbreak and harassment experienced by those who have left the church and spoken publicly about their experiences.

[10/27/16 - 02:06 PM]
Unexpected Motherhood Explored in Lifetime's Two New Series, "30 Something Grandma" and "Knocked Up"
Look for the newcomers on November 15 and December 6, respectively.

[10/27/16 - 02:05 PM]
truTV's Short-Form Comedy Series "Rachel Dratch's Late Night Snack" Returns Wednesday, Nov. 2
In this weekly showcase, comedy fans will be treated to a lineup of original offerings from some of the biggest and brightest creators spanning a variety of styles from character-driven shorts to animation to music videos and much more.

[10/27/16 - 01:06 PM]
Universal Cable Productions Announces Multiple Licensed Product Partners for "Mr. Robot"
Available just in time for Halloween, Rasta Imposta's iconic fsociety mask is available now at retailers nationwide including Amazon, Costume Super Center, Hot Topic, Party City, Spirit Halloween and Spencers.

[10/27/16 - 12:49 PM]
WE tv Announces New Paranormal Docu-Series "Ghosts in the Hood" Premiering on Thursday, January 5, 2017
The show follows the ghost-hunting team of O.P.O. (Official Paranormal Operations), who go where other ghost hunters typically don't - from the LBC to Altadena - bringing their signature humor along with them.

[10/27/16 - 12:46 PM]
Are You Cameron Ready? Netflix Announces Launch Date for Unscripted Series "Chasing Cameron"
The 10-episode series, which follows digital influencer Cameron Dallas, will launch globally on December 27 at 12:01am PST.

[10/27/16 - 11:54 AM]
Video: "24: Legacy" Trailer Reaches 7.0 Million Views in 24 Hours
The two-night premiere event airs Sunday, February 5, following "Super Bowl LI," and continues Monday, February 6, on FOX.