DARING GOLD MINERS IN NOME, ALASKA, SET SIGHTS ON TREASURES FAR BENEATH SOLID ICE ON DISCOVERY'S HIT SERIES "BERING SEA GOLD: UNDER THE ICE"
Premieres Friday, November 8 at 10 PM E/P on the Discovery Channel
(Los Angeles, Calif.) - The ambitious fortune seekers of Nome, Alaska, are back at it again. It is winter in Nome, Alaska, and nothing will stop them from searching for gold - even if it's located at the bottom of the Bering Sea beneath four feet thick sheets of ice. From Thom Beers' Original Productions, creators of the Emmy Award-winning DEADLIEST CATCH, the next season of BERING SEA GOLD: UNDER THE ICE premieres Friday, November 8 at 10 PM E/P on the Discovery Channel.
This year, the conditions are even more brutal and the challenges greater than ever before. With temperatures dropping below -30 degrees, crews face the real threat of hypothermia, frostbite and even death, as the gold hungry crews dive deep under the ice putting everything on the line with the hope of hitting the ultimate mother lode. But first they need to get the rigs up and running, which proves to be one of the biggest challenges of all this winter. This year's crew includes:
· The Shamrock: Headed by co-owners Shawn and Steve Pomrenke, this father and son team is the most successful operation in Nome. In 2010, the crew carved 3 million in gold off the ocean floor. But can Shawn get his crew on the ice before his father drops the hammer?
· The Clark: Led by Zeke Tenhoff, a Nome native, who has been dredging gold for the last six years. Zeke is hoping to put the past year behind him, having endured a disappointing dredging season and the tragic loss of his best friend and partner, John Bunce. Zeke has once again sunk every dime he has into his ice dredging operation that now includes seasoned divers Ian Foster and Rob Hehnlin. He also must face his on-again, off-again love interest Emily Riedel who worked closely with him all last season.
· Wild Ranger: Owner Vernon Adkinson has leveraged his entire life's savings on making his ever-expanding gold operation profitable. After a tumultuous first season and his fallout with fellow dredger Scott Meisterheim, Vernon has a lot on the line. But can he prove that he's capable to make a dime in the gold mining business?
· Steve's World on Ice: After being fired from the Wild Ranger for the third time this past summer - and ending his friendship with Vernon -- Steve Riedel is looking to lead his own crew this winter as well as give Vernon some competition. However, Steve's true nemesis in Nome is fellow dredger Scott Meisterheim. The two have clashed constantly, resulting in firings and restraining orders. Joining Steve this winter is his daughter, Emily, who is hoping that she will earn enough money one day to escape Nome and become a professional opera singer.
· Anchor Management: This past summer, owner Scott Meisterheim struggled with alcoholism that led to a disastrous season and a brief stint in rehab. Scott has debts to pay that are above $150,000. With his investors and debtors hounding him for money, Scott has got to get it together this winter. But will his drinking and tendency to blame others make Scott his own worst enemy?
The latest season of BERING SEA GOLD: UNDER THE ICE proves there is no such thing as a typical day job for these fortune hunters - where split second thinking, extreme focus and team work are key to staying alive under the ice. But is the risk worth it? Or will the payoff prove to be worth more than they ever bargained for?
BERING SEA GOLD: UNDER THE ICE is produced for Discovery Channel by Original Productions, a Fremantle Media company. For Original Productions, executive producers are Thom Beers, Philip D. Segal, Jeff Conroy, John Gray, Sheila McCormack and Series Producer Cameron Glendenning. For Discovery Channel, Executive Producer is David Pritikin.
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 224 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching more than two billion cumulative subscribers in 224 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through 195 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as U.S. joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, The Hub and 3net, the first 24-hour 3D network. Across the Nordic region, Discovery owns and operates SBS Discovery Media, a top-three portfolio of television brands that feature leading nonfiction content, as well as locally produced entertainment programs, sports and the best scripted series and movies from major studios. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools and owns and operates a diversified portfolio of digital media services, including Revision3. For more information please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.