DISCOVERY'S NEW SERIES FOLLOWS A REMARKABLE FAMILY OFF THE BEATEN PATH AND INTO THE WILD ALASKAN WILDERNESS
ALASKAN BUSH PEOPLE Premieres Tuesday, May 6th
(NEW YORK, NY) -- Deep in the Alaskan wilderness lives a newly discovered family who was born and raised wild. These are the ALASKAN BUSH PEOPLE, premiering on Discovery on Tuesday, May 6th at 10:00pm EST/PST. Billy Brown, his wife Ami and their seven grown children - 5 boys and 2 girls - are so far removed from civilization that they often go six to nine months of the year without seeing an outsider. They've developed their own accent and dialect, refer to themselves as a "wolf pack" and at night, all nine sleep together in a one-room cabin. Simply put, they are unlike any other family in America.
Recently, according to the Browns, the cabin where they lived for years was seized and burned to the ground for being in the wrong location on public land. They were devastated, but instead of giving up and moving back to society, they decided to go deeper into the wilderness to continue their way of life. Their new land is located in the Copper River Valley, where temperatures can drop to 60 degrees below zero. It's a race against the clock as the winter gets closer and closer. The Browns must work together to build a new cabin that will protect them from the harsh Alaskan environment, but the falling temperatures and dwindling daylight make it harder and harder. They'll use what the land provides to construct their small home and will also have to contend with other rogue bush people. It'll be tough, but having lived this way for decades, the family wouldn't have it any other way.
"Our family is doing what is natural for human beings to do. We survive on what we hunt, fish, trap and barter for," Brown says. "If you think about it, it's the life we were meant to live." His family echoes his sentiments:
· Ami - "We figured out we didn't need modern society... we could live off the ocean and the forest."
· Matt (31) - "People are always saying we have some kind of accent. I don't know where it comes from. I guess it's from all the different people that live here in Alaska."
· Bam Bam (29) - "You go through the forest and then into the wilderness, and you just keep on going; when you think you can't go any farther and you've come to the very tip end of the wilderness, that's where the bush starts, and that's where nobody else ever goes."
· Bear (26) - "Our family is a lot like a wolf pack or a clan 'cause we stick together. We're like the three musketeers, actually. It's all for one and one for all."
· Gabe (24) - "It's not like we're backwards or cavemen even though our lifestyle can be quite primitive."
· Noah (21) - "We're all homeschooled, and even though we're in the middle of nowhere, we do get bits and pieces of the culture from the lower 48."
· Snowbird (19) - "Girl time is different in the bush. We don't just do our nails and play with dolls. We like to hunt, and we like to fish... "
· Rainy (11) - "My name is Merry Christmas Catherine Raindrop Brown, and people call me Rainy."
This "simple life" that the Brown family lives is far from simple. But this is the life that these ALASKAN BUSH PEOPLE know and love.
ALASKAN BUSH PEOPLE is produced for Discovery Channel by Park Slope Productions. Terrence Sacchi, Paul Reitano and Pete DeLasho are the executive producers for Park Slope. Andy Berg, Vice President of Production at Animal Planet, developed the series and Carter Figueroa is the executive producer for Discovery Channel.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's #1 nonfiction media company reaching 2.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity through more than 190 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science and Investigation Discovery, as well as U.S. joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and the Hub Network. Across the Nordic region, Discovery owns and operates SBS Discovery Media, a top-three portfolio of television brands that feature leading nonfiction content, as well as locally produced entertainment programs, sports and the best scripted series and movies from major studios. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
About Discovery Channel (taken from Jan 28, 2014 release)
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 210 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com