AWARD-WINNING "WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" RETURNS - NEW SHOWS BEGIN AIRING FRIDAY, MAY 23 AT 9:00 P.M. ON ABC
When People See a Situation that Cries Out for Action,
Do They Step in, Back Away or Just Walk on by?
When you think no one is watching... what would you do? The successful and popular ABC News series "What Would You Do?" returns with all-new scenarios, beginning FRIDAY, MAY 23 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on ABC. Upcoming season highlights include a trip down the Mississippi River with surprising scenario outcomes, as well as special guest starring appearances, including "Shark Tank's" Daymond John in the season premiere.
Using hidden cameras, "What Would You Do?" establishes everyday scenarios and then captures people's reactions. Whether people are compelled to act or mind their own business, John Quiñones reports on their split-second and often surprising decision-making process.
Friday, May 23 scenarios Include:
· Racial Profiling While Shopping: Will anyone shopping at an upscale clothing store come to the defense of an African American man wearing a hooded sweatshirt who is being scrutinized by a salesperson and a security guard simply because of the color of his skin and his attire? "Shark Tank" star and entrepreneur Daymond John plays the role of the hooded-sweatshirt-wearing man.
· Boating Under the Influence: While dining at a dockside restaurant, a clearly intoxicated couple talks about how they are going to spend the rest of the day cruising around the bay. They eventually pay their bill and head back toward their boat with their child. Will anyone step in and stop them from boating under the influence - with a child? (OAD: 5/31/13)
· Gay Athletes: Just this month, the first openly gay football player was drafted by an NFL team. But what will happen when a teenage basketball player is with his teammates getting a pair of sneakers in the store when he decides to come out to them? His teammates express anger and disgust. Will anyone in the store come to the gay athlete's defense? What will happen if it is his coach expressing negative thoughts? (update of a scenario that originally aired 6/7/13)
· Hungry Diner: A restaurant customer eats food from the plate of someone at another table when they step away. Will any of the other customers say anything? (OAD: 12/3/13)
· Homeless New Orleans: The devastating impact of Hurricane Katrina nearly quadrupled the New Orleans homeless population -- and even today, almost a decade later, the numbers are still double pre-Katrina levels. A homeless man is brought into a bar/restaurant by a Good Samaritan, and given $20 for anything he'd like to eat. When the Samaritan leaves, however, the bartender decides he can't have a homeless person sitting and eating next to other customers. As he berates and eventually asks our homeless man to leave, will anyone stand up and defend him?
"What Would You Do?" has won awards from the Chicago International Television Festival and the Avon Foundation's 2006 Voice of Change award for exposing "injustice and wrongdoing against women and bringing the message of domestic violence to the mainstream."
David Sloan is senior executive producer and Danielle Rossen is executive producers of "What Would You Do?"