GEORGE LOPEZ TO HOST "THE WORLD DOG AWARDS," THURSDAY, JANUARY 15 ON THE CW
Celebrating Canines with Categories Including
Best in Film, Top TV Dog, Dog of The Year
Fans Can Also Vote Online on Categories Such as
Most Pawpular, Hot Dog and America's Top Mutt
Dog-Loving Celebrity Presenters Scheduled to Appear Include
Beth Behrs, Ian Somerhalder, JB Smoove, Jason Gann, Justin Silver, Lance Bass,
Lisa Vanderpump, Mark Feuerstein, Nikki Reed, Perrey Reeves,
Andy Cohen, Robert Herjavec, Ross Mathews, G. Hannelius and Many More
December 15, 2014 (Burbank, Calif.) - The CW Network announced today that George Lopez ("George Lopez," "Beverly Hills Chihuahua") will serve as host for the inaugural THE WORLD DOG AWARDS, making its debutThursday, January 15 (8:00-10:00 pm ET), on The CW Network. Filmed at the aptly named Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, California on Saturday, January 10, THE WORLD DOG AWARDS will combine the glamour of a Hollywood awards show with the appreciation for man's best friend.
George Lopez's multi-faceted career encompasses television, film, standup comedy and late-night television. For two seasons, Lopez hosted late-night television talk show "Lopez Tonight," which represented his return to television after co-creating, writing, producing and starring in the groundbreaking hit sitcom "George Lopez." Lopez, who was named one of Time Magazine's 25 Most Influential Hispanics in America, starred in the multi-camera ensemble comedy "Saint George" and will next be seen in Lionsgate's inspirational drama "Spare Parts," which he produced. He also voiced animated characters in a string of blockbuster films including "The Smurfs," "Rio" and "The Beverly Hills Chihuahua" franchises.
Along with George Lopez, dog-loving celebrities scheduled to appear include Beth Behrs ("Two Broke Girls"), Ian Somerhalder ("The Vampire Diaries"), JB Smoove ("Top Five"), Andy Cohen ("Watch What Happens: Live"), Jason Gann ("Wilfred"), Justin Silver ("Dogs in the City"), singer Lance Bass, Lisa Vanderpump ("The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills"), Mark Feuerstein ("Royal Pains"), Nikki Reed (the "Twilight" films), Perrey Reeves ("Entourage"), Robert Herjavec ("Shark Tank"), Ross Mathews ("E! News"), G. Hannelius ("Dog with a Blog") and many more.
THE WORLD DOG AWARDS will honor some of the most laudable pups on the planet, from the ones who have achieved fame in world of entertainment or on social media to everyday dogs who have had an indelible impact on the lives of their human companions. Awards will be handed out for Best in Film, Top TV Dog, Supporting Actor to a Dog and Dog of the Year to name a few. Fans will be able to participate by voting on several viewer-generated categories at www.worlddogawards.com, including awards for "Most Pawpular" (awarded to the dog with the most influential social media presence) and "Hot Dog" (awarded to the most talented extreme sports dog).
PEDIGREE(R) Brand is partnering with THE WORLD DOG AWARDS to help drive awareness for dogs in need. Through its philanthropic organization, PEDIGREE Foundation(R), the brand and The CW can help more dogs find loving homes. By using the hashtag #dogtales, viewers can join in and share their own "Dog Tales" - stories about the special relationships they have with their adopted dogs. Select stories shared using the hashtag will be featured during the broadcast.
Categories for THE WORLD DOG AWARDS include:
· Best in Film: Awarded to the best dog-centric film of the past 25 years
· Top TV Dog: Awarded to the top dog in a current television series
· Celebrity Dog Selfie: Awarded to the top social media-posted selfie featuring a celebrity and his or her dog
· Supporting Actor to a Dog: Awarded for the best performance by a human actor alongside a dog
· Best Actor Playing a Dog: Awarded for the best performance by an actor in the role of a dog
· Top Movie Dog: Awarded for the best contemporary performance by a dog in a film
· A-List Dog: Awarded to the celebrity dog that has made the biggest impact in the media
· Dog of the Year: Awarded to the dog that has made the biggest impact in pop culture this year
· Top Spot: The best television commercial starring a dog
· Best Mascot: Honoring the most beloved cheerleader in a dog costume from collegiate sports
· Most Pawpular: Awarded to the dog with the most influential social media presence
· Performing Pups: Awarded to the best performing dog
· Happiest Reunion: Awarded for the most inspiring moment when a soldier and his or her dog were reunited
· Hot Dog: Awarded to the most talented extreme sports dog
· America's Top Mutt: Showcasing the cutest, funniest and most ridiculous mutts
· Most Dog-Like Cat: Awarded to the cat with the most canine personality traits
· Dog's Best Friend: Presented by the ASPCA(R) (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(R)), this award will go to the celebrity who has advanced the welfare of homeless dogs and dog-related causes
· K911: Presented by Subaru, this award will go to a dog that is an everyday superhero for helping to save a child's life
· "The Dog's Life" Achievement Award: Awarded to an iconic dog character in popular culture that has had a huge cultural impact
· Underdog: This honor is bestowed upon a pup who has overcome incredible obstacles or odds
THE WORLD DOG AWARDS is produced by Juma Entertainment with executive producer Robert Horowitz, Josh Greenberg and George Lopez, and presented by Pedigree and Subaru. THE WORLD DOG AWARDS is being produced in coordination with and for the benefit of the ASPCA and the PEDIGREE Foundation.
ABOUT THE CW
THE CW TELEVISION NETWORK, a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation, made its debut on September 20, 2006 as America's fifth broadcast network and is the only network specifically targeting viewers ages 18-34, a demographic highly sought after by advertisers. The CW offers a five-night, 10-hour primetime lineup that runs Monday through Friday. In daytime, The CW broadcasts a Monday through Friday afternoon block, and a five-hour Saturday morning kids block. For more information, visit www.cwtv.com
ABOUT JUMA ENTERTAINMENT
JUMA Entertainment is a full-service production and event management company known for its character-driven unscripted series. With offices in New York, Los Angeles and New Hope, PA, JUMA is the co-creator and executive producer of the hit variety game show THE SINGING BEE (NBC/CMT). JUMA's other credits include SORORITY SISTERS (VH1), VANILLA ICE GOES AMISH (DIY/HGTV), WORLD'S WILDEST COMMERCIALS (ABC), AMISH RENOGADES (DIY), BARN HUNTERS (GREAT AMERICAN COUNTRY), MAGIC MAN (TRAVEL), DECEIVED (TV ONE), SUPER BOWL'S GREATEST COMMERCIALS (CBS), CLASH OF THE COMMERCIALS - USA VS. THE WORLD (CBS), THE CLIOS (NBC), SUPERSTARS (ABC), OCHOCINCO: THE ULTIMATE CATCH (VH1), THE ULTIMATE MERGER 1-2 (TV ONE), YARD ATTACK! (DIY), DOUBLE EXPOSURE (BRAVO), DEER VALLEY CELEBRITY SKIFEST (CBS), TATTOO HIGHWAY (A&E), MANHUNT: THE SEARCH FOR AMERICA'S MOST GORGEOUS MALE MODEL (BRAVO), and BATTLE OF THE NETWORK REALITY STARS (BRAVO). For more information, visit JUMATV.com.