2016 MTV EMAS ROCK ROTTERDAM WITH A STUNNING NIGHT OF GLOBAL MUSIC
Global Icon honorees Green Day close show with powerful performance of "American Idiot" days ahead of US Election
Justin Bieber leads the night winning 3 MTV EMAs
Rotterdam (November 6, 2016) - Worlds collided in a spectacle of music and stunning visuals on the 2016 MTV EMAs stage, featuring epic performances that took over Rotterdam and aired globally on November 6. Host Bebe Rexha kicked off the global music celebration as she crashed through the ceiling to start the party, followed by superstar Bruno Mars delivering the first big global performance of his smash single 24K Magic, literally lighting up the stage with his dance moves.
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga were head to head with two wins each before the start of the red carpet, when Beliebers voted in force for Justin Bieber to win the title of Biggest Fans. With this nod added to his Best Song and Best Canadian Act wins, Justin Bieber took home three purple EMAs. MTV turned all the 2016 awards purple as a tribute to the iconic late artist Prince.
Global phenomenon Green Day also returned to the EMAs stage with a vengeance, honored with the night's prestigious milestone award, Global Icon. They had an explosive onstage performance of Bang Bang, and closed the show just days ahead of the US election with American Idiot.
Additionally, MTV recognized artists from around the globe including Shawn Mendes (Canada), Zara Larsson (Sweden), Maluma (Columbia), Wizkid (Nigeria), GOT7 (Korea) and Troye Sivan (Australia) as the Worldwide Act winners. Ariana Grande secured Best Local Act for the U.S.
See complete list of winners and key moments below:
FULL LIST OF 2016 MTV EMA WINNERS
Justin Bieber - Sorry
The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - Starboy
Twenty One Pilots
Twenty One Pilots
BEST HIP HOP
BEST LOOK SPONSORED BY LISTERINE
BEST WORLD STAGE
Martin Garrix - Isle of MTV, Malta (2015)
GLOBAL ICON AWARD
BEST U.S. ACT
Troye Sivan - Australia
Shawn Mendes - Canada
Maluma - Columbia
GOT7 - Korea
Wizkid - Nigeria
Zara Larsson - Sweden
ADDITIONAL KEY MOMENTS
· Multiplatinum R&B stunner The Weeknd made his EMA stage debut with the first global performance of his smash single Starboy. The performance began in a wildly visual, star-filled dome, which opened to reveal the singer.
· Host Bebe Rexha slayed her hosting duties while bringing the live debut of her new single I've Got U to the EMAs stage, featuring an adorable faux-fur "U" creature whose eyes followed her every movement. Earlier in the show, she teamed with friend and the world's no. 1 DJ Martin Garrix for a stirring duet of In The Name of Love with a full string orchestra. She also donned 15 outfit changes throughout the show.
· Meanwhile, Kings of Leon rocked the EMA stage, the night after entertaining hundreds of fans at Rotterdam's Old Luxor Theatre with a rare, exclusive, intimate World Stage concert
· Best Push winners DNCE brought the party by performing Cake By The Ocean and Body Moves on a floating platform over the audience, complete with crowd surfers on inflatable donuts, cakes and pizza.
· Best Male winner Shawn Mendes wowed the crowd as he emerged from a holographic pyramid, while playing piano for a moving rendition of his hit Mercy. He was also among the Worldwide Act winners.
· Best New and one of the Worldwide Act recipients, Zara Larsson, shook the arena with a fierce medley of her massive hits, Lush Life and Ain't My Fault.
· Lukas Graham commanded the stage with a passionate medley of their hits against a glittering backdrop of stars, culminating in a full-on orchestra for their smash ballad 7 Years.
· OneRepublic wowed the audience by performing their new track Let's Hurt Tonight as rain poured down from the stage, soaking the band while they serenaded fans.
· Hometown hero and EMA Music Week Ambassador Afrojack rocked the house with his smash hits Gone and Hey.
The official international sponsor of the 2016 MTV EMAs is évos headphones. Official sponsors of the U.S. broadcast include 5(R) Gum and PANTENE(R).
To stay in tune with all things EMA, follow us on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook and follow the social conversation using #MTVEMA.
About the 2016 MTV EMAS
The 2016 MTV EMAs, in partnership with évos headphones broadcast across the globe on Sunday, November 6 from the Ahoy Rotterdam, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, with support from Rotterdam Festivals, Rotterdam Partners and the city of Rotterdam. Official sponsors of the U.S. broadcast include 5(R) Gum and PANTENE(R). One of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels and over 300 digital media properties and platforms. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Vine, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA. Fans are invited to participate in the 2016 MTV EMA campaign using MTV Bump. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2016 MTV EMAs. Debbie Phillips and Chloe Mason are Producers.