HIP HOP'S MOST OPINIONATED VOICES CROWN THE MOST INFLUENTIAL RAPPERS OF 2016 IN "MTV2 PRESENTS: HOTTEST MCS IN THE GAME" FRIDAY, DECEMBER 16 AT 11:00 P.M. ET/PT ON MTV2
New York, NY (November 30, 2016) - MTV2 is bringing back MTV's classic "Hottest MCs" franchise with "MTV2 Presents: Hottest MCs in the Game 2016," airing on Friday, December 16 at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT. The half-hour special will be hosted by Charlamagne tha God, host of MTV2's "Uncommon Sense" and co-host of "The Breakfast Club" on Power 105.1 FM, and feature an eight-person expert panel debating the top 10 most fascinating and culturally relevant artists of 2016.
· Brian "B. Dot" Miller - Rapradar.com
· Joe Budden - Rapper and Host of "I'll Name This Podcast Later"
· Karen Civil - KarenCivil.com
· Letty - Host of #TRAP on Real 92.3
· Miranda Johnson - Hip hop journalist
· Nick Cannon - Host and Executive Producer of MTV's "Wild 'N Out"
· Sickamore - VP, Creative Director at Epic
· Taxstone - "Tax Season" podcast
Additionally, MCs including Young M.A, Lil Yachty, Joey Badass and more will also give their top picks for 2016.
Beginning on Monday, December 12 through Thursday, December 15, MTV2 will begin the countdown, revealing the hottest 10 through seven MCs each day on-air, on hottestmcs.mtv2.com and via MTV2's social platforms, including Facebook and @MTV2 on Twitter. On Friday, December 16 the six MCs in contention for the top spot will be debated and ranked during the special, ultimately crowning the "Hottest MC" of 2016 who will join past top-picks Kendrick Lamar, Rick Ross, Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye West and Lil Wayne.
The top 10 MCs will be ranked based on the following criteria:
· Buzz - From dropping mixtapes and guest verses, to interviews, concert appearances and beyond, who commanded the most discussion and excitement this year?
· Impact - In a historic election year and a time of unprecedented social unrest, whose music served as an agent of change within the hip hop community and beyond?
· Business - Who performed the best across streaming/traditional charts and/or had the most successful tours?
· Lyrics - Which rapper had the most memorable verses of the year that inspired culture?
· Style - From their message and music videos, to fashion and collaborations, who pushed boundaries of style the most?
· Social Reach - Who was a trailblazer on social media and how did they use it to further themselves and/or their message?
· Intangibles - It's time to get personal. The panelists will weigh in on qualities they believe each rapper should have, but might not be as easily identifiable.
The 40 MCs in contention for this year's crown (in alphabetical order) include:
2 Chainz French Montana Lil Uzi Vert Remy Ma
21 Savage Future Lil Wayne Schoolboy Q
A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie Gucci Mane Lil Yachty The Game
Big Sean J. Cole Logic Travis Scott
Chance The Rapper Jay-Z Mac Miller Vic Mensa
D.R.A.M. Kanye West Meek Mill Vince Staples
Dave East Kendrick Lamar OT Genasis YG
Desiigner Kevin Gates Pusha T Young Jeezy
Drake Kid Cudi Quavo Young M.A
Fat Joe Lil Durk Rae Sremmurd Young Thug
For more, check out mtv2.com or follow @MTV2 on Twitter and tag #HottestMCs.
"MTV2 Presents: Hottest MCs in the Game 2016" is Executive Produced by Charlamagne tha God and Nick Cannon. Annie Gillies and Darin Byrne are Executives for MTV2.
MTV2 drives culture by creating comedy, music and lifestyle entertainment for the Millennial guy. For more information, check out http://www.mtvpress.com. MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc.(NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA).