Adding to Our Roster of Sports Doc Series With Bad Sport, Untold Volume 2, and Last Chance U: Basketball Season 2
Brandon Riegg, VP of Unscripted and Documentary Series
Whether you're a sports junkie or a casual spectator, there's more to fandom than the love of the game. Behind the great competitions and athletes are rich backstories that run the gamut of emotion layered with ambition, loss, and legacy.
Great documentary series can take viewers past the arenas and allegiances to a world of real, raw, compelling - and sometimes controversial - stories beyond the sports. On Netflix, our recent series range from the intimate portrait of a legend like Michael Jordan in The Last Dance or an icon like Naomi Osaka, the behind-the-scenes energy of a global league like Formula 1: Drive to Survive or the grit of underdogs like Last Chance U, and the pivotal moments in history like Untold or the dark downfall of a figure like Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez.
Today we're excited to announce three additions to our roster of sports-related documentary series. These shows join our slate of previously-announced upcoming projects including season four of Formula 1: Drive to Survive, a series following NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace, Heart of Invictus from Archewell Productions, and more.
Bad Sport -- new series premieres October 6, 2021
· Logline: Bad Sport looks at six unbelievable stories at the intersection of sports and crime, as told by the athletes, coaches and law enforcement officials at the center of the controversies. Episodes include the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic figure skating scandal; superstar Indycar driver Randy Lanier's marijuana-smuggling operation; the Arizona State University basketball point-shaving scheme; the horse hitman at the center of an insurance fraud ring; Calciopoli, the biggest match-fixing scandal in Italian football history; and South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje's tragic fall from grace.
· Directors: Miles Blaydon-Ryall, Georgina Cammalleri, James House, Lizzie Kempton, Alex Kiehl, Luke Sewell
· Executive Producers: Tim Wardle (Three Identical Strangers), Adam Hawkins (Don't F**k with Cats)
· Production Company: RAW
Untold -- Volume 2 premieres in 2022
· Logline: From the creators of Wild Wild Country, Untold brings fresh eyes to epic tales from the wide world of sports. These stories aren't the ones you've heard before, even if you think you have.
· Volume 2 will feature four new stories told over four weeks, including a two-part film on Heisman Trophy finalist Manti Te'o, directed by Ryan Duffy and Tony Vainuku, and featuring interviews with Manti Te'o and the catfisher behind the hoax.
· Volume 1 premiered to critical acclaim in August 2021 and featured the infamous Malice at the Palace brawl, Olympian Caitlyn Jenner reflecting on her journey to winning gold, boxer Christy Martin in the fight of her life outside the ring, professional tennis player Mardy Fish opening up about his struggles with mental health, and UHL team the Danbury Trashers.
· Volume 1 Directed by: Chapman Way, Maclain Way, Floyd Russ, Laura Brownson, Crystal Moselle
· Executive Producers: Chapman Way, Maclain Way, Ben Silverman, Howard T. Owens, Isabel San Vargas, Ryan Duffy, Miguel Tamayo, Jaymee Messler
· Production Companies: Propagate, Stardust Frames, The Players' Tribune
Last Chance U: Basketball -- renewed for Season 2
· Logline: From Greg Whiteley and the team behind Emmy-winning Last Chance U, Last Chance U: Basketball is an honest, gritty look inside the world of community college basketball.
· In Season 2, viewers will return to follow the East Los Angeles College Huskies (ELAC) led by passionate head coach John Mosley.
· Season 1 Directed by: Greg Whiteley, Adam Leibowitz, Daniel George McDonald
· Executive Producers: Greg Whiteley, Joe LaBracio, Lucas Smith, James D. Stern
· Production Companies: GQ Studios, Endgame Entertainment, One Potato Productions, and Boardwalk Pictures