Cartoon Network Charts Best Month, Best Summer Ever
in Kids, Boys Total Day Ratings, Delivery
All-Time Network Records Set for Key Demos Ages 6-11 and 2-11
Foster�s Home for Imaginary Friends Posts Double, Triple-Digit Growth Week by Week Since Aug. 13 Premiere
ADULT SWIM Claims 21st Month of Double-Digit Growth among Target Demos,
Ranking #1 on Basic Cable in Time Period with Adults 18-34, 18-24
Cartoon Network celebrated summer�s end with all-new network records for its best monthly and summer season kids� total day delivery and ratings performance since its launch on Oct. 1, 1992, according to Nielsen Media Research. Double-digit increases across the board, including tweens 9-14, highlighted the August/Summer �04 performance vs. the same August/Summer time period last year as shown below:
August Kids Total Day (Monday-Sunday, 6 a.m.-6 a.m., Kids� Programming)
- Kids 6-11 delivery (581,000) grew by 22% and ratings (2.4) by 26%.
- Kids 2-11 delivery (887,000) rose by 13% and ratings (2.2) by 10%.
- Tweens 9-14 delivery (430,000) advanced by 27% and ratings (1.7) by 31%.
Summer Kids Total Day (Monday-Sunday, 6 a.m.-6 a.m., Kids� Programming)
- Kids 6-11 delivery (543,000) grew by 15% and ratings (2.3) by 21%.
- Kids 2-11 delivery (842,000) rose by 10% and ratings (2.1) by 11%.
Not to be outshined in prime time, Cartoon Network also posted its highest monthly prime time delivery and ratings ever with kids 6-11, boys 6-11 and boys 2-11. As a result, the network ranked #1 in prime time delivery among ad-supported cable networks for the month among kids 6-11 and kids 2-11, and #3 in overall delivery of persons 2+ (1,868,000 average). Highlights vs. last year�s performance include the following:
Prime Time (Monday-Sunday, 8-11 p.m.)
- Kids 6-11 delivery (805,000) improved by 16% and ratings (3.4) by 21%.
- Kids 2-11 delivery (1,176,000) jumped by 5% and ratings (3.0) by 7%.
- Tweens 9-14 delivery (604,000) surged by 25% and ratings (2.5) by 32%.
August also hosted the premiere of Cartoon Network�s newest original series, Foster�s Home for Imaginary Friends (Fridays, 7 p.m.), which continued to post double and triple-digit delivery and ratings gains for all key kid demos. The animated tale set at an adoption home for childhood imaginary friends continued to build its performance week by week following its Aug. 13 premiere, noted by the following highlights vs. the same time period last year:
Foster�s Home for Imaginary Friends (Premiere to date, Friday, 7:30 p.m. premiere, 7 p.m. regular slot)
- Kids 6-11 delivery (1,069,000) increased by 144% and ratings (4.5) by 150%.
- Kids 2-11 delivery (1,437,000) expanded by 73% and ratings (3.6) by 71%.
- Girls 6-11 delivery surged by 315% and ratings by 320%.
- Boys 6-11 delivery improved by 117% and ratings by 123%.
The final August results also charted ADULT SWIM�s 21st month of double-digit growth among its target young adult demos, scoring particularly well with young women vs. the same time period last year. The late-night franchise ranked #1 on basic cable in its time period among adults 18-34, adults 18-24, men 18-34 and men 18-24. Additional highlights include the following:
ADULT SWIM (Monday-Thursday, Saturday-Sunday, 11 p.m.-2 a.m.)
- Adults 18-34 delivery (490,000) grew by 30% and ratings (0.8) by 33%.
- Adults 18-24 delivery (268,000) rose by 20% and ratings (1.0) by 25%.
- Women 18-34 delivery ballooned by 121% and ratings by 133%.
- Women 18-24 delivery improved by 82% and ratings by 75%.
Throughout August, several Cartoon Network individual original series and network franchises earned significant double-digit delivery and ratings growth among its bull�s-eye kids 6-11 demographic. Highlights vs. the same August time period last year include:
August Kids 6-11 Delivery & Ratings Increases:
- FRIDAYS (Friday, 7 p.m.-12 a.m.)�delivery (861,000) grew by 51% and ratings (3.6) by 45%.
(End-of-week prime time destination for all-original animated programming)
- MIGUZI (Monday-Friday, 5-7 p.m.)�delivery (650,000) increased by 18% and ratings by 23%.
(Weekday afternoon comedy-action-adventure franchise of acquired and original programming)
- TOONAMI (Saturday, 7-11 p.m.)�delivery (652,000) jumped by 14% and ratings (2.7) by 17%.
(Weekend action-adventure franchise of original and acquired Japanese Anim� programming)
- The Powerpuff Girls (Friday, 7:30 p.m.)�delivery improved by 93% and ratings by 107%.
- Teen Titans (Monday-Friday, 6:30 p.m.)�delivery surged by 41% and ratings by 45%.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy (Monday-Thursday, 7 p.m.)�delivery expanded by 40% and ratings by 42%.
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (Monday-Thursday, 7:30 p.m.)�delivery rose by 25% and ratings by 29%.
- Justice League Unlimited (Saturday, 8:30 p.m.)�delivery advanced by 77% and ratings by 84%.
- Megas XLR (Saturday, 9 p.m.)�delivery increased by 26% and ratings by 27%.
Cartoon Network, currently seen in 87.1 million U.S. homes and 160 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.�s 24-hour, ad-supported cable service offering the best in animated entertainment.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, is a major producer of news and entertainment product around the world and the leading provider of programming for the basic cable industry.
RATING PERIOD: 07/26/04 � 08/29/04, 05/31/04 � 08/29/04
SOURCE: Turner Entertainment Research from Nielsen Media Research data. These television ratings data are reproduced here with permission from Nielsen Media Research. Reproduction of these data in volume, without permission from Nielsen Media Research, is prohibited.
NOTES: All ratings based on Total U.S. Television Universe of 108,400,000 homes.