MTV & VH1 Score Historic Ratings Win with Live 8 Coverage
NEW YORK, July 6 -- In one of the highest rated music events
in the networks' history, MTV & VH1 today announced that their coverage of the
Live 8 concerts, which took place in 10 cities around the world on July 2,
reached more than 18 million total viewers combined over the course of the
12-8 pm ET broadcast. The two nets shared a feed for the first time in their
history to cover the concerts, aimed to raise awareness of extreme poverty in
Live 8 on MTV and VH1 combined was the most watched show in its time
period (12-8pm) among total viewers (P2+) across all cable networks. The
telecast also ranked #1 for 6 of the 8 hours among total viewers across all of
cable. Further, the broadcast maintained a consistent audience, with ratings
primarily holding steady throughout the 8 hours.
* MTV's Live 8 coverage ranked #1 in its time period (12-8pm) among its
core demo of 12 - 34-year-olds vs. all cable networks, on average.
* MTV also ranked #1 for total day (6a-6a) among P12-34, with one-third of
the total day hours comprised of Live 8 programming.
* The week that Live 8 aired, June 27-July 3, was MTV's highest rated week
EVER (excluding weeks with MTV Video Music Awards or MTV Movie Awards
* The broadcast also delivered nearly 2.2 million viewers on average, per
quarter hour, on both nets.
* VH1, for P18-49 average, posted ratings that were +84% above the prior
4-week benchmark and +100% for total viewers (P2+).
Web Site: http://www.mtv.com