New Original Series Help Lead truTV to Biggest Year Ever in Ratings
truTV scored its best year ever in 2009, driven by a slate of new series that included Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura, Full Throttle Saloon, All Worked Up and It Only Hurts When I Laugh and returning series like Operation Repo, Black Gold and Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock Hotel. truTV's performance in 2009 tops all previous years, including when the network was known as Court TV.
"truTV's unique brand of 'actuality' programming has become a tremendous hit with viewers, especially our targeted young adult and young male demos," said Marc Juris, executive vice president and general manager, truTV/In Session. "We are thrilled that truTV's branding has continued to resonate so well in just its second year. We look forward to continuing our record-breaking success in 2010 with several returning shows, along with new series like NFL Full Contact."
truTV Ratings Highlights for 2009-to-date:
* truTV is delivering its most-watched year ever among adults 18-34 (235,000); adults 18-49 (521,000); adults 25-54 (534,000); men 18-34 (121,000); men 18-49 (286,000); and men 25-54 (298,000).
* For 2009, truTV ranks among ad-supported cable's Top 10 networks in total day delivery of adults 25-54 (376,000) and men 25-54 (198,000).
* truTV has been very successful in attracting a younger audience, with a three-year drop in primetime median age (46) since last year and significant primetime growth among adults 18-34, men 18-34 and women 18-34, all up 30%. truTV's growth among men 18-34 is the highest among all ad-supported cable networks.
* truTV's primetime is also displaying solid growth among adults 18-49 (+12%), adults 25-54 (+5%), men 18-49 (+18%) and men 25-54 (+11%).
* truTV's composition of key adult demos and male viewers reached new heights in 2009. Adults 18-34 are 21% of the network's primetime audience this year, up from 17% in 2008. Adults 18-49 make up 48% of the primetime audience, up from 44% in 2008. Male viewers make up 54% of the audience, up from 51% in 2008.
* truTV has increased primetime delivery of men 18-49 each year for the past 11 years (1999�2009) and is delivering nearly eight times more men 18-49 now than when the streak began.
* In the third quarter of this year, truTV reached more than 9 million unduplicated adults 18-49, its highest reach ever in that demo. truTV's fourth-quarter reach is nearly as high, with 8.7 million unduplicated adults 18-49.
* Operation Repo was truTV's breakout hit of 2009. Premieres in the third quarter ranked as cable's #1 entertainment program in the Monday 10-11 p.m. time period among young adult and young male demos. The show's most recent season premiere (Nov. 9) became the most-watched program episode ever for truTV in delivery of viewers (2,212,000) and households (1,614,000).
* Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura premiered Dec. 2 with 1,635,000 viewers, truTV's biggest audience ever for a new series launch. Over its first three weeks, the show delivered 1,507,000 viewers and 750,000 adults 18-49, up 60% and 63%, respectively, when compared to the same time period a year ago.
* Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock Hotel returned for a new season Oct. 1 and ranked among cable's Top 5 entertainment programs for the Tuesday 10-11 p.m. time period in delivery of men 18-49 (509,000). The show garnered superb growth when compared to its prior season, with adults 18-34 up 58%, adults 18-49 up 48%, adults 25-54 up 48%, men 18-34 up 45%, men 18-49 up 47% and men 25-54 up 38%. Its median age of 39 was six years below the network's overall prime average and three years younger than its prior season.
* Black Gold launched its second season on Aug. 19 and was very successful in attracting a younger demo. The program displayed strong growth compared to its first season, with adults 18-34 up 31% and men 18-34 up 27%. As a result, Black Gold yielded a median age of 41, three years younger than its first season.
* Full Throttle Saloon, which launched Nov. 11, has averaged 1,243,000 viewers; 737,000 adults 18-49; and 475,000 Men 18-49. The program ranks among cable's Top 5 entertainment programs in its time period (Tuesdays at 10 p.m.) in delivery of men 18-49 (490,000) and men 25-54 (506,000).
* All Worked Up premiered Oct. 19. Its six premieres averaged 1,293,000 viewers, and the show ranked among cable's Top 5 entertainment programs for its time period (Mondays at 9 and 9:30 p.m.) among adults 18-49 (688,000) and men 18-49 (382,000). truTV recently announced it has ordered additional episodes of the series.
* It Only Hurts When I Laugh made its bow Oct. 22 and averaged 1,250,000 viewers; 649,000 adults 18-49; and 371,000 men 18-49. truTV has ordered additional episodes.
truTV is television's destination for real-life stories told from an exciting and dramatic first-person perspective. Currently seen in 91 million U.S. households, the 18-year-old network is enjoying its best deliveries ever in key demographics. truTV features high-stakes, action-packed originals that give viewers access to places and situations they can't normally experience. truTV's primetime fan favorites include the original series Black Gold, Operation Repo, The Smoking Gun Presents� and Forensic Files. During the daytime, the channel features expert trial coverage under the name In Session.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.