Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of June 28, 2010
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
ABC Grows Year-to-Year for 7 Consecutive Weeks,
Generating its Most-Watched Summer in 9 Years
ABC Airs 6 of the Week's Top 20 Prime TV Shows in Adults 18-49
And Places 5 of the Top 15 Most-Watched Programs Overall
ABC is No. 1 for the 4th Monday in a Row in Adults 18-49,
Posting its Top Summer Numbers on the Night Since July 2009
With Season-Highs, "The Bachelorette" Wins its Slot for the 4th Straight Week
"The Bachelorette" Grows Year-to-Year in Viewers and Young Adults
"True Beauty" Ranks No. 1 with Key Women for 3rd Consecutive Week
ABC Continues to See Big Year-to-Year Gains with its New Summer Tuesday,
Up Over the Year-Ago Night by 1.7 Million Viewers and by 54% in Adults 18-49
ABC's "Wipeout-TUES" Wins its Hour for the 2nd Straight Week in Adults 18-49
Opposite Stiff Established Competition, "Downfall" Improves its Slot
For ABC Year-to-Year by 1.2 Million Viewers and by 40% in Adults 18-49
"Primetime: Mind Games" Grows its Hour from the Year-Ago Night by 11%
ABC Wins its 2nd Straight Thursday in Adults 18-49 with its New Summer Schedule
Up Over its Week-Ago Premiere, ABC's "Wipeout" is Thursday's No. 1 TV Show
Holding Nearly All of its Overall Debut Audience and Continuing to Deliver Huge Year-to-Year Time-Period Improvement, ABC's "Rookie Blue" Grows in Key Demos
"Boston Med" Builds its Audience from its Week-Earlier Series Debut,
While Generating Substantial Gains for ABC in the Hour Over Last Summer
WEEK No. 41:
During the week of the July 4th holiday (w/o 6/28/10), ABC's primetime numbers surged over the same week last year (w/o 6/29/09) by 22% in Total Viewers (4.5 million vs. 3.7 million) and 18% in Adults 18-49 (1.3/5 vs. 1.1/4). In fact the Network registered its 7th consecutive week of year-to year gains with both viewers and young adults.
· Compared to the same point last year, ABC's summer results are up by 27% in Total Viewers (6.6 million vs. 5.2 million) and by 22% in Adults 18-49 (2.2/7 vs. 1.8/6). In fact ABC is generating its most-watched summer in 9 years - since 2001.
Rankings: ABC claimed 5 of the week's Top 20 primetime TV programs with Adults 18-49, placing 3 of the Top 6 shows: "The Bachelorette" - No. 2, "Wipeout-THURS" - No. 4, "Wipeout-TUES" - No. 6, "Rookie Blue" - No. 17 and "True Beauty" - No. 19. The Net aired 4 of the Top 15 most-watched shows overall: "The Bachelorette" - No. 3, "Wipeout-THURS" - No. 6, "Wipeout-TUES" - No. 8 and "Rookie Blue" - No. 15. ABC's "The Bachelorette" qualified as the week's No. 1 show with Adults 18-34 and across all key Women demos (W18-34/w18-49/W25-54). ABC News' "Boston Med" on Thursday registered as TV's No. 1 newsmagazine in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54. In fact among Adults 18-49, ABC News delivered TV's highest-rated newsmagazine for the 4th time in 5 weeks.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 37% currently, from 32% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Driven by continued strong returns from both "The Bachelorette" and "True Beauty," ABC once again earned first place on Monday in both Total Viewers (8.2 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.7/8), hitting summer highs on the night with its top summer performance since 7/27/09. In fact the Network ranked No. 1 in Adults 18-49 for its 4th straight Monday, beating second-place CBS by 50% (1.8/5), third-place Fox by 69% (1.6/5) and fourth-place NBC by 93% (1.4/4).
· Gaining overall audience year to year for the 5th week in a row, ABC built its Monday numbers over the same night last year (6/29/09) by 1.3 million viewers and 13% in Adults 18-49 (6.9 million and 2.4/7).
"The Bachelorette" (8:00-10:02 p.m.)
The time-period leader, ABC's "The Bachelorette" finished No. 1 for the 5th week in a row, overpowering its nearest time period broadcast competition (CBS) by 3.1 million viewers (9.8 million vs. 6.7 million) and by 60% (3.2/9 vs. 2.0/6). The veteran unscripted series gained overall audience during each half-hour of its 2-hour broadcast.
· "The Bachelorette" finished as Monday's No. 1 television program in Adults 18-49 for the 3rd week in a row, and for the 5th week running was the night's dominant No. 1 TV show across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
· "The Bachelorette" achieved season-highs in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49. In fact excluding season finales, the series drew its biggest audience since February 2004 (since 2/18/04 during Season 2) and its highest Adult 18-49 rating since February 2005 (since 2/21/05 during Season 3).
· On average, "The Bachelorette" is up over its performance at the same point last year by 1.2 million viewers (9.0 million vs. 7.8 million) and by 7% in Adults 18-49 (3.0/9 vs. 2.8/8).
"True Beauty" (10:02-11:00 p.m.)
ABC's "True Beauty" ranked No. 1 in the 10 o'clock among Women 18-49 (2.4/7) and Women 25-54 (3.0/8) for the 3rd week in a row.
· On average, "True Beauty" is improving its time period year to year for ABC by 6% in Total Viewers (5.1 million vs. 4.8 million).
For the 2nd week in a row, ABC generated big year-to-year improvement with its new Tuesday summer schedule. Continuing to grow its young adult audience in each hour from the year-ago night, the Net surged over the same Tuesday last year (6/30/09 - an all-original schedule) by 1.7 million viewers (5.2 million vs. 3.5 million) and by 55% in Adults 18-49 (1.7/5 vs. 1.1/3).
"Wipeout-TUES" (8:00-9:01 p.m.)
ABC's "Wipeout" ranked No. 1 in its time period among Adults 18-49 (2.6/9) for the 2nd straight week. The broad-appealing unscripted series also won its hour for the 2nd week running among Adults 25-54 and key Men (M18-49/M25-54). "Wipeout" once again finished as Tuesday's top-rated broadcast show with Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11.
"Downfall" (9:01-10:01 p.m.)
Against well-established unscripted competition on NBC ("America's Got Talent") and Fox (second hour of "Hell's Kitchen"), "Downfall" continued to improve its time period for ABC year to year, jumping by 1.2 million viewers (3.9 million vs. 2.7 million) and by 40% in Adults 18-49 (1.4/4 vs. 1.0/3) over the year-ago evening.
"Primetime: Mind Games" (10:01-11:00 p.m.)
In the 10 o'clock hour, ABC News' "Primetime: Mind Games" ranked No. 2 against its CBS and NBC competition among Adults 18-34 (0.6/2 - tie).
· "Primetime: Mind Games" boosted ABC's delivery in the hour year-to-year by 11% in Adults 18-49 (1.0/3 vs. 0.9/3), over the year-ago night.
Growing week to week, ABC's new Thursday lineup won the night for the 2nd week in a row among Adults 18-49 (2.0/7), beating Fox by 18% (1.7/6), CBS by 54% (1.3/4) and NBC by 100% (1.0/3). In fact ABC has finished No. 1 on the evening for the 5th straight week and for the 6th time in the last 7 weeks.
· ABC continued to deliver strong year-to-year improvement on the night, surging over the same night last summer (7/2/09) by 4.3 million viewers (6.9 million vs. 2.6 million) and by 186% in Adults 18-49 (2.0/7 vs. 0.7/3). In fact the Network has been up year-over-year on Thursday for 4 consecutive weeks.
· The Net posted week-to-week gains with its new Thursday schedule, drawing its highest summertime non-sports numbers on the evening in close to 4 years with Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 - since 8/17/06 and 8/24/06, respectively.
"Wipeout-THURS" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Wipeout" won its time period for the 2nd week in a row in both Total Viewers (8.7 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.8/11), standing as Thursday's No. 1 TV program on both Nielsen measures. It was the 2nd week in a row to stand as the top-rated show with young adults, beating Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance."
· Despite declining overall TV usage heading into the 4th of July holiday weekend, "Wipeout" was up over it's week-ago season premiere in the hour (7.9 million and 2.6/10 on 6/24/10) in both Total Viewers (+10%) and Adults 18-49 (+8%).
· In Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, "Wipeout" registered ABC's best non-sports numbers in the hour in more than 8 months - since 10/29/09 and 10/22/09, respectively.
"Rookie Blue" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Exhibiting strong retention of its week-ago series debut, ABC's freshman series "Rookie Blue" finished in a virtual-tie for first place with CBS in the 9 o'clock hour among Total Viewers (6.8 million) and ran a strong second to Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" among Adults 18-49 (1.8/6 vs. 2.1/7). The new ABC drama finished No. 1 in its time slot with Adults 25-54 (2.3/7-tie) and Men 25-54 (1.9/6-tie).
· "Rookie Blue" substantially boosted the hour year to year for ABC in Total Viewers (+4.6 million - 6.8 million vs. 2.2 million) and in Adults 18-49 (+200% - 1.8/6 vs. 0.6/2).
· In addition to holding nearly all of its overall premiere audience in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 (94%/95%), "Rookie Blue" was up over its week-earlier debut among AD18-34, W18-34 and M18-34.
"Boston Med" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Building on its week-ago season premiere in viewers (+4%), ABC's "Boston Med" placed a strong second in the 10 o'clock hour with Total Viewers (5.4 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.3/4). The new show ranked No. 1 in its hour with Women 18-34.
· Versus the year-ago night, "Boston Med" boosted the 10 o'clock hour for ABC by 3.1 million viewers and by 117% in Adults 18-49 (2.2 million and 0.6/2).
Source: The Nielsen Company (National Live+Same Day Program Ratings), week of 6/28/10, unless stated otherwise. Summer = 5/31-7/4/10 vs. 5/25-7/5/09.