Quick Take for Thursday, July 29, 2010
(Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings)
Building its Numbers Year to Year for the 8th Week Running,
ABC Finishes No. 1 Thursday Evening Among Adults 18-49
ABC's Replay "Wipeout" Beats CBS' "Big Brother" with Key Men, Teens and Kids
TV's No. 1 New Scripted Series of Summer 2010, ABC's "Rookie Blue" Stands as the Most-Watched TV Show at 9pm and Posts the Series' 2nd Highest-Ever Numbers
Growing Week to Week, "Boston Med" Improves the 10 O'clock Hour
Year to Year for ABC by 2.4 Million Viewers and by 71% in Adults 18-49
Thursday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
Although "Wipeout" was in repeat at 8:00 p.m., ABC won Thursday among Adults 18-49 (1.7/6), finishing No. 1 on the night against its broadcast rivals for the 3rd week in a row. ABC also delivered the No. 1 position on the evening among Adults 25-54, Men 18-49 and Men 25-54, as well as standing as the top-rated broadcaster with Teens 12-17.
· Continuing to exhibit impressive year-to-year improvement on Thursday, ABC more than doubled its performance from the same night last summer (7/30/09) in Total Viewers (+107% � 6.0 million vs. 2.9 million) and Adults 18-49 (+113% - 1.7/6 vs. 0.8/3). In fact the Net registered its 8th consecutive Thursday of year-to-year primetime increases.
"Wipeout-THURS" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's rebroadcast "Wipeout" finished a strong second to CBS' "Big Brother" in the 8 o'clock hour in both Total Viewers (6.4 million) and Adults 18-49 (2.0/7), while beating the original CBS unscripted series with key Men (M18-49/M25-54), Teens 12-17 and Kids 2-11.
· "Wipeout" topped its time period and finished as Thursday's No. 1 TV show for the 6th week running among key Men (M18-49/M25-54).
"Rookie Blue" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
TV's No. 1 new scripted series this summer, ABC's "Rookie Blue" was up week to week despite having a repeat lead-in, and stood as the most-watched TV show in the 9 o'clock hour (6.8 million). The freshman ABC drama also took first place in its time slot with Adults 25-54.
· Building week-to-week in viewers (+5% - 6.8 million vs. 6.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (+20% - 1.8/6 vs. 1.5/5), "Rookie Blue" posted its best performance in 4 weeks (since 7/1/10) and scored the series' 2nd highest-ever numbers on both Nielsen measures.
· "Rookie Blue" once again generated impressive year-to-year gains for ABC in the hour, doubling the Net's year-ago results among Total Viewers (+113% - 6.8 million vs. 3.2 million) and Adults 18-49 (+100% - 1.8/6 vs. 0.9/3).
"Boston Med" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Growing week to week in Total Viewers (+4% - 4.7 million vs. 4.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (+9% - 1.2/4 vs. 1.1/4), ABC News' "Boston Med" took second place in the 10 o'clock hour against its CBS and NBC competition.
· "Boston Med" improved Thursday's 10 o'clock hour for ABC by 2.4 million viewers and by 71% in Adults 18-49, over the same night last year (2.4 million and 0.7/2 on 7/30/09).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 37% currently, from 32% at the same point in 2009. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next-day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings), 7/29/10.