ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Delivers its Most-Watched Sweep Ever
Some early points on Jimmy Kimmel Live's numbers, ahead of the regular press release:
During the recently completed November 2011 sweep, ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live generated its most-watched November sweep yet and attracted its biggest-ever audience for any sweep period. Growing 7% over the year-ago November sweep in Total Viewers, JKL was the only late-night broadcast talk show to grow its overall audience year-to-year, as NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (-8%) and Last Call with Carson Daly (-5%) and CBS' The Late Show with David Letterman (-6%) and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (-7%) were all down. JKL was up in overall viewers over the previous November for the 5th time in the last 6 sweeps periods for the month.
· For the sweep, ABC's JKL stood as the #3 late-night talk show in Total Viewers, behind only NBC's The Tonight Show and CBS' The Late Show.
· ABC's JKL topped NBC's Fallon by 11% in Total Viewers and by 4% in Adults 18-49, marking its 3rd November in a row to draw a larger overall audience than the NBC late-night program.
· ABC's JKL scored its biggest lead yet in Total Viewers over CBS' Ferguson (+19%), extending its winning streak over the CBS late-night program to 3 consecutive sweep periods. In addition, JKL led Ferguson in young adults (+2%) for the 2nd straight November.
During the week of November 21, 2011, which included the final three nights of the November 2011 sweep, ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live saw its most-watched week ever, surpassing its previous weekly high by 7% (w/o 11/22/10). Hitting a season high in Adults 18-49, JKL delivered its best performance since May 2010 (excluding NBA finals-led weeks) - since w/o 5/24/10. Growing by double-digit percentages over the prior week, JKL stood as the only late-night talk show to post week-to-week gains in both Total Viewers (+22%) and young adults (+14%).
JKL was also up over the same week last year by 7% in viewers and by 2% in young adults to deliver the largest year-to-year increases of any late talk show (broadcast or cable). In fact, JKL turned in its 4th consecutive week of year-to-year increases in Total Viewers and was up for the 9th time in 10 weeks this season.
· During the week, ABC's JKL stood as the #3 late-night talk show in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, behind only NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and CBS' Late Show with David Letterman
· ABC's JKL (M-F 12am) topped NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (M-F 12:35am) by season-best margins in Total Viewers (+44%) and Adults 18-49 (+29%), marking the ABC late-night program 4th straight win over the NBC program in viewers and 3rd consecutive victory in young adults.
· ABC's JKL bested CBS' The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (M-F 12:35am) by its largest margin ever in Total Viewers (+66%) and also topped the CBS program by an impressive 26% in Adults 18-49. JKL has led the CBS late-night program in overall viewers in 10 of 10 weeks of the season.
· Posting season-best telecast numbers in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, JKL's Tuesday airing (11/22/11), which featured Dancing with the Stars champions J.R. Martinez and Karina Smirnoff, David Beckham and Body of Proof's Dana Delany, drew the ABC late-night program's largest audience and highest Adult 18-49 number on any night in 6 months (excluding NBA finals-led telecasts) - since 5/24/11. In fact, the Tuesday telecast stands as JKL's 4th-most-watched late-night telecast ever.
Ratings Report for ABC News' Nightline
For November Sweeps and Week of November 21
"Nightline" Ranks No. 1 During the November 2011 Sweep in Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-49 for the Second Year in a Row
"Nightline" Posted its Strongest Adults 18-49 lead over NBC's "The Tonight Show" During a November Sweep in 18 Years and Largest Margin During Any Sweep in 16 Years
"Nightline" Ranks No. 1 in Late-Night for the Third Time in the Last Four Weeks Across All Key Demos
November 2011 Sweep
ABC News' "Nightline" ranked No. 1 during the November 2011 sweep in Total Viewers (4.117 million), Adults 25-54 (1.619 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.259 million), according to Nielsen Media Research. In fact, this stands as "Nightline's" 3rd straight November to rank No. 1 in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 and 2nd year in a row in Adults 25-54.
"Nightline" was up by +2% in Total Viewers versus the November 2010 sweep, standing as the only latenight program to improve on the year-ago sweep in overall viewers, while NBC's "The Tonight Show" (-8%) and CBS' "The Late Show" (-6%) each saw decreases.
"Nightline" bested CBS' "The Late Show" during the month by its largest November-sweep Total Viewer advantage (+632,000) in 12 years - since November 1999.
"Nightline" posted its strongest Adults 18-49 lead (+181,000) over NBC's "The Tonight Show" during a November sweep in 18 years and largest margin during any sweep in 16 years - since November 1993 and May 1995. In addition, the ABC program saw its largest Total Viewer (+466,000) and Adults 25-54 (+220,000) margins over a Jay Leno-hosted "The Tonight Show" during any sweeps period in 16 years - since May 1995.
ABC News' "Nightline" is anchored by Cynthia McFadden, Terry Moran and Bill Weir. John Donvan and Juju Chang are correspondents. Jeanmarie Condon is the Executive Producer. The program airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m., ET on the ABC Television Network.
For the week of November 21, 2011, ABC's "Nightline" ranked No. 1 in late-night for the 3rd time in the last 4 weeks across all key target demos: Total Viewers (5.499 million), Adults 25-54 (2.057 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.635 million) according to Nielsen Media Research. The ABC late-night program has taken the top spot in Adults 25-54 in all 10 weeks this season and in 9 of 10 weeks in Total Viewers.
"Nightline" posted double-digit week-to-week increases across all target demos to hit season-highs: Total Viewers (+38%), Adults 25-54 (+32%) and Adults 18-49 (+41%). In fact, "Nightline" turned in its best numbers in all 3 measures in 3 years - since w/o 11/3/08, w/o 11/24/08 and w/o 11/24/08, respectively.
The ABC latenight program improved on the year-earlier week in Total Viewers (+12%), Adults 25-54 (+5%) and Adults 18-49 (+8%). Additionally, "Nightline" attracted is largest overall Thanksgiving-week audience in 13 years - since w/o 11/23/98.
Registering season-best numbers in Total Viewers (6.071 million) and Adults 25-54 (2.406 million), Tuesday's broadcast (11/22/11) stood as "Nightline's" strongest telecast 6 months - since 5/24/11.
"Nightline" led CBS' "The Late Show" during the week by its largest Total Viewer margin (2.217 million) in over 8 years - since w/o 3/17/03.
Season to date for the 2nd straight year, "Nightline" ranks No. 1 in late-night among Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-49, ahead of both NBC's "The Tonight Show" and CBS' "The Late Show" ("Letterman" began on CBS in the 1993-94 season). Season to date, "Nightline" is up by +3% in Total Viewers compared to the same point last year, standing as the only program to grow year to year in Total Viewers versus "The Tonight Show" (-3%) and "The Late Show" (-7%).
Note: "Nightline's" weekly average is based on two days (Mon-Tue), "The Tonight Show's" weekly average is based on three days (Mon - Wed) and "The Late Show's" weekly average is based on three days (Mon- Wed). With Thanksgiving week, "Nightline" from Wednesday - Friday, "The Tonight Show" on Thursday and Friday, and "The Late Show" on Thursday and Friday were coded special and are excluded from the weekly average.
(November 2011 Sweep)
TOTAL VIEWERS A25-54(000)/ Rtg A18-49(000)/ Rtg
ABC "Nightline" 4,117,000 1,619,000/ 1.3 1,259,000/ 1.0
CBS "Late Show" 3,485,000 1,520,000/ 1.3 1,194,000/ 0.9
NBC "Tonight Show" 3,651,000 1,399,000/ 1.2 1,078,000/ 0.8
(Week of November 21, 2011)
TOTAL VIEWERS A25-54(000)/ Rtg A18-49(000)/ Rtg
ABC "Nightline" 5,499,000 2,057,000/ 1.7 1,635,000/ 1.3
CBS "Late Show" 3,282,000 1,442,000/ 1.2 1,110,000/ 0.9
NBC "Tonight Show" 3,615,000 1,377,000/ 1.1 1,027,000/ 0.8
Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 11/21/11, 11/14/11 & 11/22/10. Most Current: 2011-2012 Season (9/19 - 11/27/11) and 2010-2011 Season (9/20 - 11/28/10). November 2011 Sweep (10/27-11/23/11) & November 2010 Sweep (10/28-11/24/10). July 2011 Sweep (6/30-7/27/11). Sweep periods (November, February, May and July).