NBA Christmas Day Delivers Big Numbers on ABC & ESPN
Knicks-Lakers Generates Best-Ever ABC Christmas Day Early Doubleheader Game Rating; Highest-Rated Christmas Day Tripleheader Ever on ESPN
The NBA's five-game Christmas Day schedule delivered big numbers for the NBA on ABC and ESPN, based on overnight ratings according to Nielsen. The day was highlighted by the New York Knicks-Los Angeles Lakers game generating a 5.9 overnight rating, the best ever for an ABC Christmas Day game in the early window of a doubleheader. Additionally, Christmas Day 2012 was the highest-rated tripleheader ever on ESPN, averaging a 2.1 rating, up 17 percent from a 1.8 in 2010. (Note: Last year, the NBA on Christmas Day tipped off the 2011-12 NBA regular-season).
New York Knicks at Los Angeles Lakers (3 p.m. on ABC)
· This is the highest overnight rating in this window since 2004.
· Generated a 5.9 overnight rating, up 11 percent compared to Boston Celtics-Orlando Magic in 2010 (5.3).
· Delivered a 9.2 rating in New York, which is the third best rating for an NBA regular-season game on ABC ever in the market.
· Delivered an 11.9 rating in Los Angeles, which is the sixth best rating for an NBA regular-season game on ABC in the market.
Oklahoma City Thunder at Miami Heat (5:30 p.m. on ABC)
· Generated a 6.0 overnight rating, making it the fourth highest-rated NBA regular-season game ever on ABC.
· Delivered a 23.2 rating in the Oklahoma City, which is the highest-rated NBA regular-season game on ABC ever in the market.
· Delivered a 15.9 rating in Miami, which is the highest-rated NBA regular-season game on ABC ever in the market.
· Delivered a 10.9 rating in Tulsa, which is the highest-rated NBA regular-season game on ABC ever in the market.
Denver Nuggets at Los Angeles Clippers (10:30 p.m. on ESPN)
· Generated a 2.0 overnight rating, up 54 percent compared to Portland Trail Blazers-Golden State Warriors in 2010 (1.3).
· This is the second highest-rated ESPN Christmas Day primetime game ever.
Houston Rockets at Chicago Bulls (8 p.m. on ESPN)
· Generated a 1.7 overnight rating, up 21 percent compared to Denver Nuggets-Oklahoma City Thunder in 2010 (1.4).
Boston Celtics at Brooklyn Nets (12 p.m. ET on ESPN)
· Generated a 2.7 overnight rating, matching the Chicago Bulls-New York Knicks game in 2010 (2.7).
· Delivered a 3.1 rating in Boston, matching the fourth best rating for an NBA regular-season game on ESPN ever in the market.
· Delivered a 3.8 rating in Providence, which is the second best rating for an NBA regular-season game on ESPN ever in the market.
Additionally, KIA NBA Countdown, which aired at 2:30 p.m. on ABC, delivered a 2.0 overnight rating, matching the rating from two years ago.