NBC SPORTS NETWORK SEES DOUBLE DIGIT Q1 VIEWERSHIP GAINS
In Direct Comparison to Q1 2012 (Minus 3 Weeks of NHL Games and NHL All Star Weekend), Viewership on NBCSN is up 14%
7 of the 10 Most-Watched NHL Games in Network's History Occurred in Q1 of 2013
First IndyCar Telecast of Season is up 78%
Dan Patrick Show on NBCSN up 58% Compared to Time Period in 2012
NEW YORK - April 8, 2013 - Buoyed by seven of the 10 most-watched NHL games in the network's history, NBC Sports Network viewership rose 14% in the first quarter compared to first quarter in 2012, according to data released by The Nielsen Company. Additionally NHL programming, including the newly-created Wednesday Night Rivalry games, was up 58% compared to Q1 in 2012, the best start in the network's history; The Dan Patrick Show viewership is up 58% compared to time period in 2012 Q1; the opening IndyCar telecast rose 78%; and MLS games are up eight percent over last year.
FIRST QUARTER RESULTS:
There was no NHL programming for the first three weeks of the quarter in 2013, including no NHL All-Star Weekend programming. When removing the first three weeks of NHL programming (including All-Star Weekend) to form a direct comparison, NBC Sports Network was up 14% in primetime compared to first quarter 2012 (193k viewers vs. 170k viewers) and up 14% on total day (65k viewers vs. 57k viewers).
· In the Adult 18-49 demo, viewership is up 12% for primetime and 10% for total day for ALL programming (no NHL exclusions);
· NBC Sports Network's audience got younger. Median age in first quarter of 2013 was 44 in primetime, down from 47 for first quarter in 2012.
· NBC Sports Network averaged 193k viewers in primetime (8-11 p.m.) and 65k viewers for total day (6 a.m. - 6 a.m.) during first quarter of 2013, both up from the first quarter in 2012 (191k and 63k, respectively including NHL programming).
FIRST QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL: NBC Sports Network delivered seven of the 10 most-watched regular-season games in the network's history (NBCSN/VERSUS/OLN) during first quarter 2013, including the top two most-watched.
· NBCSN's 38 games in the first quarter averaged 428k viewers, up 34% from the 2012 first quarter average, the best start for the NHL on NBC Sports Network in the network's history.
· NBC Sports Network's 10 Wednesday Night Rivalry games, newly-developed this season, averaged 680k viewers, an increase of 55% compared to the Wednesday night exclusive game average in first quarter 2012.
TOP 10 MOST-WATCHED NHL GAMES ON NBCSN/VERSUS/OLN
MATCHUP DATE AVERAGE VIEWERS
BRUINS-RANGERS 01/23/13 956,000
FLYERS-PENGUINS 02/20/13 901,000
BRUINS-FLYERS 10/06/11 874,000
BLACKHAWKS-WILD 01/30/13 827,000
CANADIENS-BRUINS 03/03/13 813,000
CANADIENS-BRUINS 03/27/13 773,000
BRUINS-CANADIENS 02/06/13 771,000
PENGUINS-FLYERS 12/14/10 750,000
FLYERS-PENGUINS 10/07/10 730,000
AVALANCHE-BLACKHAWKS 03/06/13 720,000
INDY CAR: The 2013 IndyCar season debuted on NBCSN with the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on Sunday, March 24. The race delivered 388,000 viewers, a 78-percent increase vs. last year's first race on NBC Sports Network (218,000).
· It was also the second-best season-opener for NBC Sports Network's IndyCar coverage (since 2009) behind only the 2010 race from Sao Paulo, Brazil (410,000).
· In the advertiser-coveted Adult 18-49 demo, the race delivered 126,000 viewers, up 91% vs. last year (66,000).
MLS: NBCSN's six MLS matches in first quarter averaged 112k viewers, an increase of eight percent over last year's first quarter matches.
· NBCSN's primetime MLS Rivalry Day match on March 16 (Portland at Seattle) drew 209k viewers, the second most-watched MLS game on NBCSN (excluding games that had an Olympic lead-in).
THE DAN PATRICK SHOW: Viewership for The Dan Patrick Show (41k average viewers) rose 58% from the M-F 9 a.m. - Noon time period in first quarter of 2012.