NBCSN WILL POST BEST VIEWERSHIP IN NETWORK'S HISTORY IN 2014 & RANK AS FASTEST GROWING SPORTS CABLE NET
Sochi Olympics, NHL, Premier League, F1 & IndyCar Telecasts Help NBCSN Set Record for Total Day Audience - Up 54% from 2013
NBCSN Only Sports Cable Network with Double Digit Growth in Total Day Average Viewership and Key Demos
Excluding Sochi Winter Games, NBCSN Posts 23% Growth, Still Topping All Sports Cable Nets
STAMFORD, Conn. - December 18, 2014 - New Year's Day is two weeks from today and NBCSN is on pace for its best year ever in 2014, according to live plus same day data released by The Nielsen Company.
NBCSN is averaging 145,000 viewers through the first 50 weeks of the year and will finish 2014 with its best-ever Total Day (6 a.m.-6 a.m.) viewership. By a wide margin NBCSN will be the fastest growing sports cable network in Total Day viewership.
Buoyed by record viewership for the Sochi Olympics, the NHL regular season and Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Premier League's best-ever calendar year on U.S. sports cable, as well as rising ratings for Formula One and IndyCar racing:
· NBCSN has averaged 145,000 Total Day viewers to-date in 2014 (Dec. 30, 2013-Dec. 14, 2014) - which will rank as the most-watched calendar year in the network's history (previous best: 118,000 viewers in 2009).
· NBCSN's Total Day viewership growth of 54% (145,000 vs. 94,000 last year) makes it the fastest-growing sports cable network in '14. The 54% growth is more than five times greater than any other sports cable net.
· Even excluding the Winter Olympics, NBCSN has averaged 116,000 viewers to-date -- up 23% from 2013 and topping the growth of all other sports cable networks.
· In the key Total Day demographics, NBCSN has posted a 46% increase in Adults 18-49, and a 48% increase in Adults 25-54. Those increases also rank first compared to other sports cable networks.
VIEWERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS FROM 2014:
· NBCSN averaged 1.6 million viewers for the Sochi Games in the 6 a.m.-3 p.m. ET time period - a 134% increase over the network's comparable daytime coverage of the 2012 London Games (692,000 viewers). The Sochi Games had a nine-hour time difference vs. the Eastern Time zone in the United States compared to five hours for London in 2012.
· The 10 best weekday daytime audiences in NBCSN's history were provided by its 10 weekdays of Sochi coverage and the network's five highest viewership totals for weekend daytimes also came during coverage of the Sochi Games
· NBCSN televised 62 Stanley Cup Playoff games, averaging 1.227 million viewers - the best Stanley Cup Playoffs ever for the network. The 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs ranked as the most-watched NHL playoffs on cable since 1997.
· NBCSN opened the 2014-15 season with cable's most-watched season opener on record, averaging 956,000 viewers for Flyers-Bruins on Oct. 8 (data since 1993).
· After a record-setting 2013-14 season, the 2014-15 season on NBCSN is averaging 420,000 viewers -- up 15% from last year at this time.
· NBCSN has televised 9 of the 10 most-watched Premier League games ever on U.S. cable.
Formula One & IndyCar
· NBCSN registered the best-ever Formula One season for a single cable network, averaging 385,000 viewers for its 12 races - an 86% jump from 2013 (207,000 viewers for 13 races). (NOTE: Due to the global nature of F1, many races begin prior to 8 a.m. ET.)
· The 2014 IndyCar season on NBCSN averaged 378,000 viewers, up 34% over last season and the second-best average viewership for IndyCar since NBCSN acquired the rights to the property in 2009 (402,000 average viewers in 2011).
Among the events highlighting NBCSN's 2015 schedule: NHL All-Star Game on January 25, Premier League soccer, NHL Stadium Series outdoor game, horse racing leading up to NBC's exclusive Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup coverage, NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, including two NHL Stanley Cup Final games, Formula One and IndyCar racing, Tour de France, and the eagerly anticipated return of NASCAR to the networks of NBCUniversal in July.