LIVE+7 RATINGS: "EMPIRE" FINALE SURPASSES 23 MILLION VIEWERS, POSTS TV'S HIGHEST RATED FRESHMAN FINALE IN NEARLY 10 YEARS
After 7 days of time-shifted viewing, the EMPIRE finale episode (9pm on 3/18/15) delivered 23.1 million viewers and drew a 9.3/28 rating among Adults 18-49. This marks TV's highest rated freshman season finale in nearly 10 years (since Grey's Anatomy's first season finale on 5/22/05 --- 9.8/24 rating).
The EMPIRE finale episode continued to show strength with African-American viewers, posting a 43.4/94 rating with African-American Adults 18-49 -- a +30% higher rating in that demo than this year's Super Bowl (33.3/70) in the Live +7s. And while the EMPIRE finale dominated in Women demos, it delivered a huge male audience as well - 8.5 million Men 18-49 watched the finale within 7 days.
In addition, the season finale of EMPIRE posted a +66% gain versus its premiere in Adults 18-49 Live + 7 Day (9.3/28 vs. 5.6/16) -- the most substantial growth of any new broadcast series in over nine years (since House in the 04/05 season). And according to Nielsen Social Guide, EMPIRE's two finale hours generated 122 million earned impressions on Twitter (the # of times EMPIRE-related tweets appeared in Twitter feeds) within the 7 day window.
Season-to-date with regular originals, EMPIRE averaged a 7.1/21 rating, and ended its first season as the:
· #1 broadcast series in Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34
· #1 show overall among African American Adults 18-49
· #1 new series among Hispanic (English-household) Adults 18-49
· #1 broadcast series among Women 18-49
· #1 new series among Men 18-49
· #1 series on Social Media (with an average 627,369 tweets per live/new episode)
· Highest rated broadcast drama since the 2007/08 season (Desperate Housewives 7.3/17 and Grey's Anatomy 8.4/20)
· Highest rated freshman series since 2004/05 (Grey's Anatomy 8.1/20 and Desperate Housewives 10.6/24)
In addition, EMPIRE continues to draw significant multi-platform viewing this season. Averaging a multiplatform audience of more than 21.0 Mil over its first seven weeks , EMPIRE delivers FOX's largest 30 Day Multi-Platform average audience ever.