OH HELL YEAH! SYFY'S "SHARKNADO 3: OH HELL NO!" TAKES SOCIAL MEDIA BY STORM YET AGAIN
GENERATED 2 BILLION TWITTER IMPRESSIONS, DOUBLING SHARKNADO 2
TRENDED #1 IN U.S. AND #2 ACROSS THE PLANET
SHARKNADO 4 OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED
NEW YORK - July 23, 2015 - Proving its might as a global pop culture phenomenon, Syfy's Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! chomped its way to two billion Twitter impressions - doubling the one billion impressions for 2014's Sharknado 2: The Second One. Generating more Twitter activity than every episode of the final season of Mad Men, every episode of this season's The Bachelor and Hillary Clinton's presidential announcement, Sharknado 3 trended #1 in the United States and #2 worldwide.
Following this record-breaking social media performance, Syfy and The Asylum announced they have greenlit Sharknado 4, expected to make landfall in July 2016. After destroying Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C. and much of the Eastern Seaboard, where will the sharks strike next? And will April Wexler (Tara Reid) live or die? Fans can decide if April makes it to Sharknado 4 by voting #AprilLives OR #AprilDies on Twitter or by visiting http://Sharknado.Syfy.com.
Said Chris Regina, Senior Vice President, Program Strategy, Syfy: "Sharknado 3 may have devoured half of America's celebrities, but there are still hungry fans and sharks to feed, so the adventure continues -- not in a galaxy far, far away, but on your television sets next July."
Additional Social Media Highlights for Sharknado 3:
· Sharknado 3 trended throughout July 22 across social platforms including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
· Sharknado 3 was the most social program on television in Twitter activity on July 22, with Syfy's Sharknado 1 and Sharknado 2: The Second One also ranked in the Top 5 programs.
· Syfy was the most social TV network in Twitter mentions on July 22.
· Video clips from Sharknado 3 have generated nearly 6 million views to date, including 4.1 million on Syfy's YouTube channel.
· The social campaign asking fans to decide if April (Tara Reid) makes it to Sharknado 4 by voting #AprilLives OR #AprilDies on Twitter or by visiting Sharknado.Syfy.com has earned nearly 40K tweets since the conclusion of Sharknado 3 last night.
· Among the influencers who joined the conversation and tweeted were Tyra Banks, William Shatner, Kevin Jonas, Wendy Williams, Alyson Hannigan, Grant Imahara, Daymond John, as well as NASA, American Red Cross, the Department of Defense, NASCAR, the NBA and the NHL.
About The Asylum
The Asylum is one of the world's leading brand-oriented motion picture and television studios. With a focus on high-concept, market-driven entertainment, like the SHARKNADO franchise, The Asylum finances, produces and releases 25 films per year through its direct pipeline to the nation's top retailers and its network of international partners. Since its founding in 1997, The Asylum has released more than 500 films and has built a library of over 200 original productions, including top-rated movie premieres for Syfy, Lifetime, and Animal Planet networks. In 2014, The Asylum made its first foray into series television with Z NATION, a critically-acclaimed 13-episode action-horror series on Syfy. Z NATION drew high ratings and will return for a second season in September 2015.
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in 96 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. (Syfy. Imagine Greater.)