WORLD SERIES OFF TO BEST START SINCE 2009
Game 3 Posts 10% Increase Over '14; FOX Wins Third Night
Sunday Expected to be TV's Most-Watched Day Since Super Bowl Sunday
New York - In keeping with the Billy Joel theme, down 0-2 to the Kansas City Royals in the 2015 World Series, the New York Mets needed a "big shot, last night," and got it in a pair of two-run home runs from Curtis Granderson and Captain David Wright, who knocked in four runs on the night. The Mets offensive resurgence gave NY a 9-3 win, and trimmed KC's lead to 2-1 in the best-of-seven series.
According the fast national figures release this afternoon by Nielsen, FOX also got a "big shot" as the game posted a 7.9/15 household rating/share, with 13.2 million viewers and is the highest-rated and most-watched Game 3 of the World Series since 2009 (9.1/18, 15.4 million for Yankees-Phillies). In fact, after three games the 2015 World Series is averaging an 8.5/16, 14.1 million viewers and is the highest-rated and most-watched since 2009 (10.9/19, 17.9 million).
World Series Game 3 Highlights:
1. The game is +10% in rating and +9% in audience over last year's 7.2/13, 12.1 million for Royals-Giants.
2. From 8:04-11:00 PM ET, FOX averaged an 8.1/15, with13.4 million viewers in prime time which projects to be the network's best performance for a Friday night since 2011 World Series Game 7.
3. The World Series powered FOX to its third first place finish in prime time this week.
4. FOX also won the night in prime time among Adults 18-49 (3.2) and Adults 18-34 (2.1).
5. FOX has won the night in prime time on each of the three nights it has broadcast World Series games this week among Households and across key demos, including A18-49.
6. Rating and audience peaked at 9.1/16, 15.2 million viewers from 10:00-10:15 PM ET
7. Last night's Mets win ensures that the series will go to a fifth game, setting up an epic Sunday for FOX Sports. Three separate NFL windows and a World Series Game 5 projects to provide FOX the most-watched day of sports on any network since Super Bowl Sunday in terms of total minutes viewed. FOX anticipates well over ten billion minutes of sports viewing tomorrow.
8. Each World Series game has posted FOX's best prime time ratings in months, if not years on their respective nights. Game 1 gave FOX its best Tuesday night in three years; Game 2 its best Wednesday in seven months; and Game 3 its best Friday in four years.
9. FOX Deportes' Spanish-language telecast delivered 198,000 total viewers, and peaked in the 10:15-10:30 PM ET quarter hour at 270,000 total viewers.
World Series Game 2 Local Highlights:
10. Kansas City led all markets with a 48.0 rating followed by New York (23.1). St. Louis (15.9), Tulsa (11.1), Hartford (10.9), West Palm Beach (9.7), Tampa-St. Petersburg (9.6), Richmond (9.3), Denver (9.2) and Seattle (9.0) to round out the top 10.
World Series To-Date
11. The 2015 World Series is averaging an 8.5/16, with 14.1 million viewers, up +13% in rating and +14% in audience over last year's 7.5/13, 12.4 million (Giants-Royals).
12. Notable year-to year demographic increases: M12-17, +36% (1.9 vs. 1.4); M12-24, +18% (2.6 vs. 2.2); M18-34, +3% (3.8 vs. 3.7); M18-49, +19% (5.1 vs. 4.3); M25-54, +20% (6.0 vs. 5.0); A18-49, +21% (4.0 vs. 3.3).