LIONS-SEAHAWKS WILD CARD FOOTBALL DOMINATES PRIMETIME
"SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" HITS A FOUR-YEAR HIGH FOR AN ENCORE TELECAST
Saturday Primetime Ratings:
Regarding this morning's Nielsens, note that the fast-affiliate ratings that came in at 11 a.m. ET/8 a.m. PT are not time zone-adjusted and are subject to change for live sports coverage.
In these preliminary results, NBC dominates the night among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in adults 18-49, total viewers and every other key category in the fast-affiliate ratings.
In time zone-adjusted household results, NBC Sports coverage of the NFC Wild Card Playoff game featuring the Detroit Lions at the Seattle Seahawks averaged a 16.5 rating, 27 share from 8:15-11 p.m. ET in household results from the 56 markets metered by Nielsen Media Research (not including digital data) to easily win the night in both metered-market households and adults 18-49 in the local people meters
NBC's 16.5/27 for the Lions-Seahawks Wild Card Game is the best Saturday night metered-market rating for any network since Jan. 16, 2016 (Packers-Cardinals on NBC, 20.3/34).
The metered-market rating peaked at a 17.2/28 from 9-9:30 p.m. ET.
Top markets for Lions-Seahawks on NBC: Seattle 46.8/72; Detroit 33.0/49; Portland 30.1/44; Richmond 22.5/31; Milwaukee 22.0/35; Norfolk 21.6/31; Las Vegas 21.3/34; Denver 20.3/36; Phoenix 19.1/32; and Greensboro 19.0/26.
In Late-Night Metered-Market Ratings for Saturday Night:
· An encore telecast of "Saturday Night Live," airing from 12-1:30 a.m. ET with host with host Tom Hanks and musical guest Lady Gaga, averaged a 3.9/11 in households in Nielsen's 56 metered markets and a 1.8/9 in 18-49 in the 25 markets with local people meters.
· It's the highest-rated "Saturday Night Live" encore in four years in metered-market households, with last night's 3.9 in 18-49 the show's best since Jan. 5, 2013 (4.6 with host Louis C.K. and musical guest fun).
· In 18-49 in the local people meters, "Saturday Night Live" generated its highest rating for a rebroadcast in three years, since the Jan. 11, 2014 encore hosted by Jimmy Fallon with musical guest Justin Timberlake averaged a 2.0.
· Note that "SNL" adds significant viewership via time-shifting, with originals so far this season growing by +58% in 18-49 and +3.280 million persons or +44% in total viewers nationally going from "live plus same day" Nielsens to "live plus seven day" figures. In L+SD, "SNL" this season has averaged a 2.25 rating in 18-49 nationally and 7.525 million viewers overall, and in L+7, "SNL" grew to a 3.55 in 18-49 and 10.805 million viewers.
· Versus the same point last season, "SNL" originals are up +27% in 18-49 nationally (3.55 vs. 2.79) and +2.317 million persons or +27% in total viewers (10.805 million vs. 8.488 million).
· The average 10.805 million viewers in L+7 makes this the show's most-watched season at this point in 24 years (versus prior seasons' original telecasts through comparable dates), best since 1992 (12.308 million for that season's first nine originals).
· The 3.55 average in L+7 adults 18-49 rating nationally average is the show's best performances in the demo at this point since 2008 (4.34 for that season's first eleven originals).
· National ratings, including viewer totals, for last night's "Saturday Night Live" encore are due from Nielsen on Tuesday.
NOTE: All ratings are "live plus same day" from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise indicated.