"SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE" DELIVERS ITS MOST-WATCHED MAY TELECAST IN FIVE YEARS
WITH HOST CHRIS PINE & MUSICAL GUEST LCD SOUNDSYSTEM, "SNL" GENERATES THE #2 BROADCAST RATING OF THE WEEK TO DATE IN 18-49, BEHIND ONLY "BIG BANG THEORY"
In Late-Night "Fast Official" Ratings for Saturday Night:
· "Saturday Night Live" has outrated every primetime telecast on the broadcast networks so far this week in adults 18-49 except "The Big Bang Theory," while delivering the most-watched "SNL" May telecast in nearly five years.
· The May 6 edition of "Saturday Night Live," with host Chris Pine and musical guest LCD Soundsystem, averaged 6.919 million viewers overall and a 1.87 rating in adults 18-49 in "fast official" "live plus same day" results from Nielsen Media Research.
· The telecast, which aired live coast to coast (11:30 p.m. ET, 8:30 p.m. PT) and counted unduplicated viewers from 11:30 encores in western markets, generated the show's biggest overall audience for a May edition since the May 19, 2012 season finale, (with host and musical guest Mick Jagger, 6.954 million).
· With its 1.87 rating in adults 18-49, the May 6 "Saturday Night Live" ranks as the #2 telecast so far this week on the broadcast networks in adult 18-49 rating, behind only "The Big Bang Theory" (2.48) and edging out "Empire" (1.85).
· Versus what "Saturday Night Live" averaged with originals for the month of May last year, this week's telecast is up +17% in adults 18-49 (with a 1.87 rating vs. a 1.60) and +1.7 million persons or +32% in total viewers (6.919 million vs. 5.233 million for the month of May 2016).
· The 1.87 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.919 million viewers overall beats last season's final nine "Saturday Night Live" originals.
· Note that "SNL" adds significant viewership via time-shifting, with the 18 originals so far this season growing by +61% in 18-49 and +3.425 million persons or +46% in total viewers going from "live plus same day" Nielsens to "live plus seven day" figures. In L+SD, "SNL" this season has averaged a 2.18 rating in 18-49 and 7.527 million viewers overall, and in L+7, "SNL" grew to a 3.51 in 18-49 and 10.952 million viewers.
· Versus the same point last season, "SNL" originals are up +25% in 18-49 (3.51 vs. 2.80) and +2.588 million persons or +31% in total viewers (10.952 million vs. 8.364 million).
· The average 10.952 million viewers in L+7 makes this the show's most-watched season at this point in 23 years (versus prior seasons' original telecasts through comparable dates), best since 1993-94 (11.213 million for that season's first 19 originals).
· The 3.51 average in L+7 adults 18-49 rating average is the show's best performances in the demo at this point since 2008-09 (3.93 for that season's first 20 originals).
Saturday Primetime Ratings:
· Regarding Saturday's primetime Nielsens, note that the fast-affiliate ratings that came in at 11 a.m. ET/8 a.m. PT are not time zone-adjusted and are subject to revision for live sporting events. As those preliminary numbers stand, NBC is running #2 among the Big 4 networks for the night in adults 18-49 and every other key demographic.
· In metered-market results, which are time zone-adjusted, last night's NBC Sports 7:15-10 p.m. ET coverage of Stanley Cup Playoff hockey, featuring the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Washington Capitals, posted a 2.81 rating in household results from the 56 markets metered by Nielsen Media Research.
· The 2.81 is the best metered-market household rating to date for an early round NHL Playoff game on NBC (since 2006), growing versus the comparable game last year by +4% (2.81 vs. 2.71 for Penguins-Capitals on May 7, 2016).
NOTE: All ratings are "live plus same day" from Nielsen Media Research unless otherwise indicated.