JOHN STOSSEL REPORTS ON STEREOTYPES,
ON ABC NEWS� �20/20,� FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15
Typecast, label, pigeonhole� It doesn�t matter what word is used, they all mean the same thing� to stereotype. As John Stossel reports, many people say it�s natural to stereotype, and psychologists say we still categorize by things like age and race and gender because our brains are wired to do it automatically. �20/20� reports on the power of stereotypes and the psychology behind them, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.
Topics covered include:
* Stereotypes and tolerance � Is it possible to overcome racial hatred?
* The power of stereotypes � Is there really a �stereotype effect,� and if you are aware of it, can you overcome it?
* The psychology of stereotyping � If we don�t want to stereotype, then why do we do it?
* The race game � Are there truly differences between the races that make one race superior in sports?
* Gay stereotypes � Is it possible to tell someone�s sexual orientation? Are gay people more likely to be in certain professions?
�20/20� talks to psychologists and other experts, and also conducts eye-opening experiments on stereotypes to try to answer these questions.
�20/20� is anchored by Elizabeth Vargas and John Stossel. David Sloan is the executive producer.