[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[06/16/19 - 09:53 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: FOX, U.S. Open Top Charts
The network's third round of PGA coverage leads the evening in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[06/15/19 - 08:26 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Tops Low Key Friday in Demos
"Dateline NBC" and an encore "American Ninja Warrior" lead the evening among adults 18-49.

[06/14/19 - 11:16 AM]
Video: Watch the Official Trailer for the Hulu Revival of "Veronica Mars"
"Veronica Mars" will premiere all episodes on Friday, July 26, only on Hulu.

[06/14/19 - 10:31 AM]
"L.A.'s Finest" Picked Up for Second Season by Spectrum Originals
The announcement was made today by series stars and executive producers Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba at Opening Night of the 59th Monte Carlo Television Festival.

[06/14/19 - 10:27 AM]
Hallmark Channel's "Good Witch" Kicks Off Fifth Season as #1 Original Scripted Series on Cable
The Hallmark Channel further spins the numbers for the week of June 3-9.

[06/14/19 - 10:00 AM]
Netflix Orders "Prank Encounters," Hidden-Camera Prank Show Hosted by Gaten Matarazzo
Each episode of this terrifying and hilarious prank show takes two complete strangers who each think they're starting their first day at a new job.

[06/14/19 - 09:00 AM]
TBS' "Conan" Heads to Ghana for All-New International Primetime Special
On this adventure, O'Brien will be accompanied by actor and comedian Sam Richardson whose family hails from the African nation.

[06/14/19 - 08:30 AM]
Mario Lopez Surprises Families With Outrageously Fun Backyards in HGTV's "Supersize My Pool"
During the series, Mario will surprise families in need of a backyard upgrade with stunning news: their lackluster pools will be transformed into spectacular resort-style oases.

[06/14/19 - 08:21 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: NBA Finals Wrap on Top for ABC
The Toronto Raptors' Game 6 victory easily leads the night in total viewers and adults 18-49.

[06/14/19 - 08:03 AM]
Oxygen Presents New Series "Injustice with Nancy Grace" Premiering Saturday, July 13 at 6PM ET/PT
Television's most respected legal analyst, Nancy Grace gets to the bottom of some of the most challenging and multi-layered true crime stories.

[06/14/19 - 07:57 AM]
"Tales" Returns to BET for Season 2 Featuring an Exclusive, Soon-to-Be-Released Song, "Brothers" by Kanye West Feat. Charlie Wilson, Produced by "Tales" Creator, Producer and Writer Irv "Gotti" Lorenzo and Seven
Fans can tune-in to BET and MTV channels globally and on VH1's international channels on Tuesday, July 2.

[06/14/19 - 06:15 AM]
Michael Strahan to Serve as Host and Erin Andrews as Co-Host of Death-Defying "Highwire Live in Times Square with Nik Wallenda," Sunday, June 23 on ABC
"So many factors are involved in an event of this magnitude, but it will all come down to the moment when Nik and Lijana step onto the highwire and we're covering every second live," said Strahan.

[06/14/19 - 06:00 AM]
ABC Will Announce the Cast of "Bachelor in Paradise" Season 6 on ABC's "Good Morning America" and During the Premiere of ABC's Sizzling New Drama, "Grand Hotel," on Monday, June 17
"Bachelor in Paradise" returns for Season 6 on a newly announced premiere date: Monday, August 5.

[06/14/19 - 05:04 AM]
Bravo's "Project Runway" Crowns Season Winner
Additionally, production for the next season of Bravo's "Project Runway" will commence this summer in New York City.

[06/13/19 - 03:01 PM]
Derek Hough and Ciara to Co-Host NBC's Annual "Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks(R) Spectacular"
Luke Bryan, Khalid from his Free Spirit World Tour, Maren Morris and Brad Paisley will also perform before the fireworks begin.