[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[07/31/15 - 08:39 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Big Brother," "Big Bang" Keep CBS on Top
The Eye wins the evening in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[07/31/15 - 07:59 AM]
"Taco Trip" Season Two Premieres Tuesday, August 25th on Cooking Channel
In each episode, Aarón Sánchez jumps mouth-first into one city's local taco scene, meeting the chefs, families and locals who define the Latin-side of each region.

[07/31/15 - 07:13 AM]
"Better Call Saul": First-Look Photos
The series is currently shooting its second season in Albuquerque, NM and is set to debut early next year on AMC.

[07/31/15 - 07:00 AM]
Original Reporting Fuels Television Year-to-Date Audience Growth and Solid Key News Demo Performances for All CBS News Broadcasts
CBS spins the numbers for the week of July 20-26.

[07/31/15 - 06:59 AM]
"SportsCenter" Anchors Neil Everett, Stan Verrett Reach New Agreements to Remain with ESPN
"The on-air chemistry Neil and Stan have can't be manufactured," said Rob King.

[07/31/15 - 06:02 AM]
AMC, Channel 4 and Kudos Renew "Humans" for Season Two
The series will return for eight new episodes, with production starting next year.

[07/30/15 - 06:57 PM]
Disney's "Descendants" Garners Over One Million Views on the WATCH Disney Channel App Ahead of Its Television Premiere Tomorrow
Disney Channel spins its digital numbers to date.

[07/30/15 - 04:15 PM]
FOX Drops "Knock Knock Live" in Favor of Comedy Repeats
Look for second runs of "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and "The Last Man on Earth" to fill the Tuesday, 9:00/8:00c hour going forward.

[07/30/15 - 03:22 PM]
Emmy(R)-Winning Series "Banshee" to Return for Fourth and Final Season in Jan. 2016, Exclusively on Cinemax
"The show's exceptional blend of action and drama earned a vocal and passionate fan base that will not be disappointed in 'Banshee's' final season," said Michael Lombardo.

[07/30/15 - 03:21 PM]
First Season of Emmy(R)-Nominated Cinemax Series "The Knick," Directed by Steven Soderbergh and Starring Clive Owen, To Have a Ten-Week Special Presentation on HBO Digital Platforms, Including HBO NOW, Starting Aug. 14
In addition, HBO2 will present a marathon of the entire ten-episode first season on Saturday, Oct. 10, starting at noon (ET/PT).

[07/30/15 - 03:20 PM]
"Amy Schumer: Live from the Apollo," The Comedy Star's First HBO Stand-Up Special, Debuts Oct. 17
Directed by Chris Rock and taped May 29 before a live audience at New York's iconic Apollo Theater, the one-hour special features Schumer talking about her life.

[07/30/15 - 03:19 PM]
HBO Drama Series "The Leftovers" Returns for Its Second Season Oct. 4
The 10-episode second season is currently in production in Austin, Texas and surrounding areas.

[07/30/15 - 03:18 PM]
Comedy Series "Doll & Em," Starring Emily Mortimer and Dolly Wells, Returns for Its Second Season Sept. 13 on HBO
Guest stars this season include Ewan McGregor, Olivia Wilde, Evan Rachel Wood and Mikhail Baryshnikov.

[07/30/15 - 03:03 PM]
Video: El Rey Network and Miramax(R) Release Talent Featurette from Season Two of the Supernatural Crime Saga "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series"
In it, the cast and creators give an inside look at what's coming up, the dynamics of the upcoming season, and introduce you to the compelling new characters viewers will meet.

[07/30/15 - 03:02 PM]
Robert Rodriguez Sits Down with Visionary Filmmaker George Miller in the Next Installment of "El Rey Network Presents: The Director's Chair" Sunday, August 30 at 8 PM ET
Join director Robert Rodriguez as he sits down with fellow filmmaker George Miller for an hour-long conversation about Miller's stunning career.