[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[11/26/14 - 11:15 AM]
Watch a Sneak Peek at a Special Bite-Sized "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" Airing Thanksgiving, After the Football Game, on FOX
Said installment, guest starring Eva Longoria, then airs in full on Sunday, November 30 at 8:30/7:30c.

[11/26/14 - 10:45 AM]
NBCSN Delivers Best F1 Season Ever for a Single Cable Network
NBCSN spins the numbers for its F1 coverage to date this season.

[11/26/14 - 10:45 AM]
Six Groups Battle for First Place on Wednesday, Dec. 17 in the Two-Hour Special Edition of "The Sing-Off"
Returning judges Jewel and Shawn Stockman will be joined by Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump while Nick Lachey is once again set as host.

[11/26/14 - 09:56 AM]
TNT Offers On-Demand Sneak Peek of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's New Series "Wake Up Call"
Fans will be able to watch the sneak peek episode through the Watch TNT app & www.tntdrama.com starting Thanksgiving Day.

[11/26/14 - 09:45 AM]
Nick Jonas to Perform Hit Single "Jealous" from Self-Titled Album on Monday, Dec. 1 Telecast of "The Voice"
Hot country newcomer RaeLynn is also set to perform on the Tuesday, December 2 telecast.

[11/26/14 - 09:14 AM]
NBCSN Presents "NASCAR America" Specials Recapping the Thrilling Top Moments of 2014
The specials began airing during "NASCAR America's" 30-minute 5 p.m. ET time slot on Nov. 19, with new episodes debuting Dec. 1, 2, 10 and 11, and culminating on Dec. 16 with the Top 20 Moments of 2014.

[11/26/14 - 09:08 AM]
CBS to Broadcast Special Editions of "The Late Late Show," Jan. 5 - March 6
Judd Apatow, Will Arnett, Wayne Brady, Drew Carey, Jim Gaffigan, Billy Gardell, Sean Hayes, Thomas Lennon, John Mayer and Kunal Nayyar are among the scheduled guest hosts.

[11/26/14 - 08:52 AM]
"The Voice" Ranks #1 in Adults 18-34 and All Key Adult-Female Demos in Its Time Period
NBC spins the numbers for Tuesday, November 25.

[11/26/14 - 08:37 AM]
ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Jumps to Season Highs for Its Top Finale Performance in 4 Seasons
ABC spins the numbers for Tuesday, November 25.

[11/26/14 - 08:31 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: "Dancing with the Stars" Gives ABC First Demo Win of the Season
The Alphabet also leads the night among total viewers.

[11/26/14 - 08:14 AM]
USSA, NBC Sports Group and Universal Sports Network to Provide Unprecedented Coverage of 2014-15 U.S. Ski and Snowboarding Season
The partnership will result in a record 67 of hours of coverage this season across NBC, NBCSN, and Universal Sports.

[11/26/14 - 08:07 AM]
New Survey from National Geographic Channel and Kelton Global Timed to the Premiere of "Sleepless in America" Finds That Most Americans Sleep Less Than Eight Hours a Night
What's more alarming is that our efforts to get more rest could actually be doing more harm than good.

[11/25/14 - 05:08 PM]
Remaining Episodes of "Selfie" Will Be Available Weekly Starting Today on Hulu with a Plus Subscription
The series previously aired Tuesday nights at 8:00/7:00c on ABC.

[11/25/14 - 01:52 PM]
Hallmark Channel's "Countdown to Christmas" Is the Most Watched Network Among Women 25-54 for 4th Consecutive Weekend
The Hallmark Channel spins the numbers for Saturday, November 22 and Sunday, November 23.

[11/25/14 - 01:35 PM]
Video: Six New Videos for "Archer" Season Six
The electrifying new season of "Archer" premieres January 8 on FX.