[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[08/28/15 - 04:35 PM]
"#DanceBattle America," ABC's New Dance Competition Special, Premieres Monday, September 14
Alfonso Ribeiro and Jordin Sparks host the one-hour special, which will follow the season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars."

[08/28/15 - 01:00 PM]
Rowan Blanchard and Paris Berelc Star in the Disney Channel Original Movie "Invisible Sister," Premiering Friday, October 9 on Disney Channel
The film is set to premiere as part of "Monstober," Disney Channel's month-long Halloween-themed programming event.

[08/28/15 - 11:08 AM]
The Might of the Empire Grows and Fan-Favorite Clone Troopers Debut in New Episodes of "Star Wars Rebels" Season 2 Beginning Wednesday, October 14
In "Star Wars Rebels" Season Two, past lives will be revealed and the destiny of our heroes will be changed forever.

[08/28/15 - 10:40 AM]
Christina Applegate to Guest-Star on New Comedy "The Grinder"
Additional guest castings for the new series include Emmanuelle Chriqui and Nat Faxon.

[08/28/15 - 08:47 AM]
"Food Fighters" Matches Its Season High in 18-49
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, August 27.

[08/28/15 - 08:38 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Big Brother," "Big Bang" Continue Win Streak for CBS
The Eye has won the past 11 Thursdays among total viewers and adults 18-49.

[08/28/15 - 07:05 AM]
USA Network Stars Support No More Campaign to End Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault in Upcoming "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" Marathon on August 30
Aaron Tveit, Gina Torres, John Cena, Mark Feuerstein, Patrick J. Adams, Rami Malek, Sarah Rafferty and Daniel Sunjata are all featured in the 11-episode stunt.

[08/28/15 - 06:17 AM]
Brooke Burke-Charvet Returns as Co-Host for the 95th Anniversary Broadcast of Miss America
She joins previously announced judges Brett Eldredge, Taya Kyle, Kevin O'Leary, Amy Purdy and Zendaya, as well as Nick Jonas who will act as the official music curator of the evening.

[08/27/15 - 05:10 PM]
FOX Gives Midseason Drama "The Frankenstein Code" New Title of "Lookinglass"
The Rob Kazinsky-led drama is due in 2016 on the network.

[08/27/15 - 03:47 PM]
Video: VH1's "Love & Hip Hop: Hollywood" Season 2 Super Trailer
Premiering on Monday, September 7, the new cast is willing to lay it all on the line, striving to leave a permanent mark on the music industry despite sacrifices they may be forced to make.

[08/27/15 - 02:37 PM]
FXX to Air Special Mini-Marathon of "Archer's" Greatest Loves
Sterling Archer is reflecting on some of his greatest loves from the past with a special mini-marathon airing Saturday, September 26 from 10 PM - 1 AM ET/PT.

[08/27/15 - 01:54 PM]
"Compared to What: The Improbable Journey of Barney Frank" Set to Premiere on Friday, October 23rd on Showtime(R)
The film is an intimate, rollicking and entertaining look behind-the-scenes at the public and private life of one of America's greatest and, at times, controversial legislators.

[08/27/15 - 01:36 PM]
TLC Heads Back for a Second Push of "Labor Games"
The season premieres Tuesday, September 15 at 8:00/7:00c with two back-to-back episodes.

[08/27/15 - 01:08 PM]
TV One's "Welcome to the Family" Reunites Half & Half Co-Stars Valarie Pettiford and Telma Hopkins
The film centers on Stella, an internet producer (Kali Hawk), who has to learn how to balance her personal and professional lives.

[08/27/15 - 12:48 PM]
"Celebrity Name Game" Rolls Out the Red Carpet More Celebrity Guests, More Comedy, More Fun Than Ever!
Hosted by funnyman Craig Ferguson and executive produced by Courteney Cox and David Arquette, the syndicated, half-hour weekday strip premieres Monday, September 21.