[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[05/23/15 - 09:21 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Wins Demo Race with "Shark Tank" Repeat
The Alphabet leads the night among adults 18-49.

[05/23/15 - 08:21 AM]
ABC Leads Its 7th Straight Friday in Adults 18-49 with the Top 3 Shows
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, May 22.

[05/23/15 - 06:29 AM]
NBA Western Conference Finals Game 2 Delivers 49 Percent Audience Increase from Last Time on ESPN
ESPN spins the numbers for Friday, May 22.

[05/22/15 - 01:09 PM]
First Look Images: FX's "American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson"
Get your first look at Sarah Paulson, Billy Magnussen, John Travolta, David Schwimmer, Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Courtney Vance in the limited series, due in early 2016.

[05/22/15 - 11:02 AM]
"The Bastard Executioner" Swings Into Action This Fall on FX
Kurt Sutter's new series is billed as "a gripping and brutal journey through the Late Middle Ages."

[05/22/15 - 10:54 AM]
First Look Image: Danny Trejo as "The Regulator" on El Rey Network/Miramax's 'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series"
Currently in production on its sophomore season, "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series" is slated to return late Summer 2015.

[05/22/15 - 10:32 AM]
NBC's Star-Studded Inaugural Charity Event "Red Nose Day" Raises Over $21 Million to Help Lift Children and Young People Out of Poverty
Julia Roberts, Jimmy Fallon, Blake Shelton, Neill Patrick Harris, Richard Gere, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Pharell, Coldplay, One Direction and Zac Efron were just a few of the many celebrities appearing in the three-hour entertainment event.

[05/22/15 - 10:25 AM]
E! Delivers Ratings Highs Led by "Keeping Up with the Kardashians: About Bruce" Special and Season Finale of "The Royals"
E! further spins the numbers for Sunday, May 17.

[05/22/15 - 08:42 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: Repeats Power CBS to Victory in Viewers, Demos
"The Big Bang Theory" is the evening's top show in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[05/22/15 - 08:32 AM]
"500 Questions" Earns ABC's Best Summer Rating in its Slot Since August 2013
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 21.

[05/22/15 - 08:31 AM]
"Mad Men" Finale Is Series' Highest-Rated Episode Ever Among Total Viewers and Adults 25-54
AMC further spins the numbers for Sunday, May 17.

[05/22/15 - 08:21 AM]
NBC's "Red Nose Day" Was No. 1 Among the Big 4 Networks in the 10 p.m. Hour
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 21.

[05/22/15 - 07:01 AM]
NBA Western Conference Finals Game 2 Delivers 47 Percent Ratings Increase from Last Time on ESPN
ESPN spins the numbers for Thursday, May 21.

[05/22/15 - 06:42 AM]
HGTV and DIY Network Greenlight Six New Series
After delivering 11 consecutive months of ratings growth, top 10 cable network HGTV, along with its sister network, DIY Network, have confirmed production orders for six new series.

[05/22/15 - 06:02 AM]
Netflix Announces "A Very Murray Christmas"
Written by Sofia Coppola, Bill Murray and Mitch Glazer and directed by Sofia Coppola, the special is an homage to the classic variety show featuring Bill Murray playing himself, as he worries no one will show up to his TV show due to a terrible snow storm in New York City.