[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[07/29/16 - 01:03 PM]
National Geographic Channel Greenlights Global Scripted Event Series Based on Martha Raddatz's New York Times Best-Seller, "The Long Road Home"
Screenwriter Mikko Alanne ("The 33") is adapting and also executive producing this epic story of survival for television.

[07/29/16 - 01:02 PM]
National Geographic Channel, Imagine Entertainment and RadicalMedia Redefine Television Storytelling with "Mars" - An Unprecedented Global Event Series
The project premieres on the National Geographic Channel in 171 countries and 45 languages this November.

[07/29/16 - 01:01 PM]
USA Network Sets "Chrisley Knows Best" Mid-Season Return for Tuesday, August 23 with Two New Back-to-Back Episodes
The network previously extended the current season, bringing the total to 26 episodes, and has already announced a pick up for a Season 5, set to air next year.

[07/29/16 - 12:12 PM]
Animal Planet Celebrates "World Lion Day" with a Marathon of Lion Programming on August 10
Highlights include the all-new special "Clash of Africa's Giants," which gives audiences a look inside the lives of one of Africa's growing prides on a quest for survival.

[07/29/16 - 11:45 AM]
FOX Orders Second Season of Competition Series "American Grit"
Season two is currently casting the next group of men and women who are ready to find their inner strength and transform their lives for the better.

[07/29/16 - 11:30 AM]
Video: "Killing Reagan" - Trailer
The National Geographic Channel original movie premieres Sunday October 16 at 9:00/8:00c.

[07/29/16 - 11:02 AM]
Video: Miramax(R) and El Rey Network Release Trailer from Season Three of the El Rey Network Original "From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series"
This season the Gecko brothers find themselves in the vortex of the culebra world, thrust into a fight against the forces of Hel as they assemble an unlikely crew to take on the new enemies determined to take them down.

[07/29/16 - 10:33 AM]
"The Circus" Returns This September for the Final Act of the 2016 Election
Sunday night's episode marks the final episode in the series' summer run.

[07/29/16 - 09:26 AM]
El Rey Network Now Available on Verizon Fios
El Rey will be included in the Ultimate, Preferred, Mundo and Mundo Total TV plans on channel 198.

[07/29/16 - 09:07 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS, "Big Brother" Top Charts
The Eye claims the adults 18-49 and the total viewers crown.

[07/29/16 - 08:33 AM]
Family, Food and Fun Rule the Road in Primetime Series "The Great Food Truck Race: Family Face-Off"
The five-episode stunt launches Sunday, August 28 at 9:00/8:00c on Food Network.

[07/29/16 - 08:31 AM]
"Teen Choice 2016" and Rock the Vote Partner to Inspire Teens to Weigh in on Who Should Be the Next President
The results of the youth poll will be revealed during the live broadcast airing this Sunday, July 31 on FOX.

[07/28/16 - 06:45 PM]
TV One Premieres Film Festival Sensation "Jean of the Joneses" on Sunday, October 23 at 7 P.M. ET
The network's latest original movie centers on 25-year-old Jean, portrayed in a break-out performance by Taylour Paige, and her multi-generational, middle-class family of strong-minded yet loving women.

[07/28/16 - 02:30 PM]
Kobe Bryant to Present Decade Award to Justin Timberlake at "Teen Choice 2016," Airing Live This Sunday, July 31, on FOX!
Lea Michele, Sarah Hyland, NE-YO, Chris Evans, Daisy Ridley, Shay Mitchell and Ashley Benson are also among the celebrities scheduled to appear.

[07/28/16 - 01:58 PM]
TV One Delivers a Knockout Punch with New Original Film "Ringside," Premiering Sunday, Sept. 4 at 7 P.M. ET
The film stars Tyler Lepley as undefeated boxer Jaxon Holley and explores the personal battles he faces outside of the ring while preparing for the biggest fight of his career.