[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/20/14 - 12:51 PM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Viewers, Splits Demos with NBC
A special Friday edition of "Big Brother" leads the night among adults 18-49.

[09/20/14 - 12:37 PM]
"Dateline NBC" Equals Its Highest Friday 18-49 Rating in 16 Weeks
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, September 19.

[09/20/14 - 08:40 AM]
L3 Ratings: ABC's "Dancing" Premiere Marks Biggest-Ever Playback Lift - Monday's Top Show
ABC further spins the numbers for Monday, September 15.

[09/19/14 - 02:43 PM]
"Thursday Night Football" on CBS and NFL Network Wins in Primetime with Viewers and Ratings
CBS spins the numbers for Thursday, September 18.

[09/19/14 - 02:22 PM]
Statement from E! Regarding "Fashion Police"
"We decided, with Melissa Rivers' blessing, that Joan would have wanted the franchise to continue," the network said. "Fashion Police will return in 2015 commencing with Golden Globes coverage on Monday, January 12."

[09/19/14 - 11:03 AM]
Get Ready for an "Awkward" Binge Sesh When MTV Airs the Hit Series in Its Entirety Beginning on Monday, September 22 at 8:30 AM ET/PT
Said marathon concludes with the premiere of the second-half of season 4 on Tuesday, September 23 at 10:00/9:00c.

[09/19/14 - 11:00 AM]
"Justified" Arrests Sam Elliott and Garret Dillahunt
The series returns for its sixth and final season in January 2015.

[09/19/14 - 10:06 AM]
"CMT Instant Jam: Kenny Chesney" Premieres Saturday, September 27 at 10 P.M., ET/PT
Viewers can get a sneak peek of Chesney's "American Kids" performance exclusively on the CMT Artists App beginning tomorrow morning at 11:30 a.m. ET.

[09/19/14 - 09:15 AM]
Cartoon Network's Hit Series "Regular Show" Is Back for a Not-So-Regular Sixth Season Premiering Thursday, October 9 at 7:30 p.m. (ET/PT)
The Emmy-winning series was created by JG Quintel and produced by Cartoon Network Studios.

[09/19/14 - 08:40 AM]
"The Biggest Loser" Ranks as the #1 Non-Sports Telecast on the Big 4 Last Night in Every Key Measure
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, September 18.

[09/19/14 - 08:31 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Dominates with "Thursday Night Football"
The Eye easily wins the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[09/19/14 - 08:01 AM]
"The Graham Norton Show" Returns to BBC America Saturday, October 4, 11:00 PM ET
In the premiere episode, Denzel Washington, Peter Capaldi and Gemma Arterton will join each other on Graham's infamous orange sofa.

[09/19/14 - 07:42 AM]
CNBC's "The Filthy Rich Guide" Series Premiere on Wednesday, October 8 at 10PM ET/PT
The five-episode series is "a fun, fast-paced guide that catalogues the ways in which the .01 percent spend their money."

[09/18/14 - 04:56 PM]
Fall Premiere of OWN's "For Better or Worse" Delivers 1.2 Million Viewers
OWN spins the numbers for Wednesday, September 17.

[09/18/14 - 02:50 PM]
"90 Day Fiance" - TLC's #1 New Series of 2014 - Returns October 19, 2014
In the second season, six new couples decide to take a chance on love and bring their spouses-to-be stateside.