[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[10/20/14 - 03:29 PM]
"Gold Rush" Season Five Premiere Tops Cable Television on Friday
Discovery spins the numbers for Friday, October 17.

[10/20/14 - 02:02 PM]
John Ondrasik of Five for Fighting to Perform Original Song for 100th Episode Of "Hawaii Five-0," Nov. 7
The song, titled "All For One," will premiere during the broadcast of the milestone episode.

[10/20/14 - 01:20 PM]
CMT's Highest-Rated Series Ever "Party Down South" Keeps the Party Going This Holiday Season with Two All-New, One-Hour Specials
"Party Down South: Drunksgiving" airs Thursday, November 20 followed by "Party Down South: Christmas Hangover" on Thursday, December 18.

[10/20/14 - 01:19 PM]
HGTV and DIY Network Greenlight Seven New Series
"America's Most Desperate Kitchens," "Log Cabin Living," "Shalina Joy Project" and "Real Estate Riches" are on tap at the former while "First Time Flippers," "Miami Rehab" and "The Treehouse Guys" are coming to the latter.

[10/20/14 - 12:42 PM]
Discovery Fit & Health Pulls Back the White Curtain on Outrageous Medical Emergencies When "Untold Stories of the ER" Returns with the Craziest Cases Special and 100th Episode
The 100th episode kicks off all-new episodes, beginning Friday, November 14 at 10:00/9:00c.

[10/20/14 - 12:22 PM]
Three Families Are "Risking It All" for a Life Off the Grid
TLC's latest original series premieres Tuesday, November 18 at 10:00/9:00c.

[10/20/14 - 12:22 PM]
"Real World: Skeletons" Set to Premiere December 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM ET/PT on MTV
This season, the series begins in the traditional way with seven strangers moving into an old nightclub turned fabulous urban loft in Chicago's West Loop, but each of these roommates has skeletons in their closets.

[10/20/14 - 12:18 PM]
USA Network Orders Third Season of Breakout Comedic Reality Series "Chrisley Knows Best"
Plus: look for a half-hour "Chrisley" holiday special set for this December.

[10/20/14 - 12:10 PM]
Ariana Grande and Meghan Trainor to Perform Duets with Top Country Acts on "The 48th Annual CMA Awards"
Grande will be joining two-time CMA Vocal Group of the Year Little Big Town for an on-air collaboration.

[10/20/14 - 11:51 AM]
ABC Family Invites Fans to Tweet the "Dearly Departed" During a Halloween Special of "Pretty Little Liars," Airing Tuesday, October 21
Janel Parrish ("Mona"), Andrea Parker ("Mrs. DiLaurentis") and Bryce Johnson ("Det. Darren Wilden") will live tweet with fans during the East Coast broadcast.

[10/20/14 - 11:49 AM]
"Untold with Maria Menounos" Premieres Thursday, October 30th at 8:00PM ET/PT
The series takes a closer look at two major entertainment stories that are making headlines today: the Transgender movement and Depression in Comedians.

[10/20/14 - 11:06 AM]
Live + 7 Ratings: ABC's "How to Get Away with Murder" Is the Week's #1 Biggest Gainer in TV Playback in Adults 18-49
ABC further spins the numbers for the week of September 29-October 5.

[10/20/14 - 11:04 AM]
A Wedding, a Breakup and a Divorce?! Don't Miss the "Total Divas" Mid-Season Finale Sunday, October 26 at 9pm ET on E!
Plus: WWE(R) Diva Alicia Fox(TM) and WWE Diva Paige(TM) joint the cast when new episodes resume Sunday, January 4 at 10:00/9:00c.

[10/20/14 - 10:55 AM]
CBS Freshman Dramas Post Strong Second-Week Live +7-Day Lifts
CBS further spins the numbers for the week of September 29-October 5.

[10/20/14 - 10:40 AM]
Pizza Aficionados Sal Basille and Francis Garcia Return to Travel the Country on a Culinary Expedition in Cooking Channel's "Pizza Masters"
The six-episode series launches Friday, December 5 at 9:00/8:00c on the network.