[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[08/22/14 - 02:58 PM]
"The Simpsons" Soars on FXX - Day 1 of 12-Day Marathon Delivers Record-Breaking Numbers for Nascent Channel
FXX spins the numbers for Thursday, August 21.

[08/22/14 - 01:53 PM]
2015 NASCAR Schedule to Be Announced Tuesday at 5 P.M. ET on Special Edition of "NASCAR America" on NBCSN
Host Rick Allen will be joined by NBC Sports Group NASCAR analysts Jeff Burton, Kyle Petty and Frank Stoddard to present the schedule and discuss the selected dates, tracks, and overall 2015 NASCAR calendar.

[08/22/14 - 12:38 PM]
Oscar-Winner Stephen Gaghan to Direct "White City" Pilot for AMC
The project is an adventure story set in the somewhat surreal ex-pat world of near-present Afghanistan, one of the most discussed and least understood places on earth.

[08/22/14 - 11:43 AM]
"Red Band Society" Fans Banded Together to Help FOX Raise $100,000 for Charity Partners and Unlock the Debut Episode
The "Pilot" episode is available now until Tuesday, August 26 at 5:00 PM ET on multiple platforms.

[08/22/14 - 11:30 AM]
A Special "Lost"-Themed Episode of "Phineas and Ferb" to Premiere Monday, September 29 on Disney XD
The episode, titled "Lost in Danville," also guest stars Jane Kaczmarek and Rob Morrow.

[08/22/14 - 11:26 AM]
"Iyanla: Fix My Life Special Report: Healing in Ferguson" to Air Tuesday, August 26 at 9 PM ET/PT on OWN
The special episode of the award-winning series follows ordained minister and spiritual life coach Iyanla Vanzant on an emotional trip to Ferguson, Missouri.

[08/22/14 - 08:59 AM]
Talent Announced for 2014 PaleyFest Fall TV Previews September 6 - 15 at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills
The annual celebration features multiple screenings at the Center's L.A. and N.Y. locations, with L.A. hosting interactive panel conversations at each event.

[08/22/14 - 08:45 AM]
"Welcome to Sweden" Equals Its Top 18-49 Rating Since July 24
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, August 21.

[08/22/14 - 08:39 AM]
Discovery Channel Explores the World of Automotive Auctions in All New Series "Highway to Sell"
Across America, neglected classic cars are waiting to be restored and make their way back onto the street.

[08/22/14 - 08:36 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Rides "Big Brother" to Top Spots
The Eye is the night's most-watched network among total viewers and adults 18-49.

[08/22/14 - 08:19 AM]
ABC's "Rookie Blue" Season Closer Is Up 22% to Tie a Season High and Tops Its Year-Ago Finale
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, August 21.

[08/22/14 - 07:32 AM]
BBC America and BBC One Announce New Drama Series "The Living and the Dead"
"We are as excited about this show as anything since 'Life on Mars' and 'Ashes to Ashes' - we want it to be moving, tender, sensual... and very, very scary," said Ashley Pharoah and Matthew Graham.

[08/22/14 - 07:15 AM]
Teams Compete to Drive Away with the Grand Prize on New Food Network Series "Food Truck Face Off"
Jesse Palmer hosts the 13-episode series, premiering Thursday, October 2 at 8:00/7:00c.

[08/21/14 - 06:00 PM]
GSN's Third Episode of Body-Painting Competition Show, "Skin Wars," Delivers Series-High Ratings
GSN spins the numbers for Wednesday, August 20.

[08/21/14 - 04:28 PM]
Lifetime's Upcoming Premieres - "The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story", "Girlfriend Intervention", "Kim of Queens", and "Dance Moms: Abby's Studio Rescue"
The latter returns on Tuesday, September 16 at 8:00/7:00c on the cable channel.