[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[05/25/17 - 11:59 AM]
Rubber Hits the Road on the New Season of CNBC's "Jay Leno's Garage" Premiering Wednesday, June 28th
Celebrity guests this season include President George W. Bush and Laura Bush, Ted Koppel, Wanda Sykes, Michael Strahan, Brad Garrett, Josh Duhamel, J. B. Smoove, among others.

[05/25/17 - 10:59 AM]
History Orders Robert Zemeckis Scripted Drama Series "Blue Book"
"Blue Book" chronicles the true top secret United States Air Force-sponsored investigations into UFO-related phenomena in the 1950's and 60's known as "Project Blue Book."

[05/25/17 - 10:46 AM]
Summer Is Blazing Hot with "Teen Choice 2017" Live Sunday, August 13, on FOX
For 19 years, the special has presented performances and appearances by some of pop culture's brightest stars.

[05/25/17 - 10:30 AM]
The Avengers Return for an Action-Packed One-Hour "Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars" Season Four Premiere on Saturday, June 17, on Disney XD
Picking up right after the events of season three "Ultron Revolution," the fourth season finds Tony Stark trapped in another dimension.

[05/25/17 - 10:04 AM]
"Legends of Chamberlain Heights" Returns for Season Two on Sunday, June 18 at 11:30 P.M. ET/PT on Comedy Central
"Legends of Chamberlain Heights" is an urban animated series mixing raucous comedy and social commentary that centers on three high school freshman basketball benchwarmers.

[05/25/17 - 10:02 AM]
HBO Renews Hit Series "Silicon Valley" and "Veep" for 2018
Both shows are returning in 2018, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO Programming.

[05/25/17 - 09:57 AM]
Ina Garten Launches "Barefoot Contessa: Cook Like a Pro" on Sunday, May 28th at 11AM ET/PT on Food Network
Each of the all-new eight episodes were shot on-location at Ina's home in East Hampton, New York.

[05/25/17 - 09:37 AM]
Video: Sneak Peaks from Netflix's "Friends from College" - Premieres July 14th
Soak up all of the immature use of mature language in four all new NSFW sneak peeks at the new Netflix original series.

[05/25/17 - 09:26 AM]
Hip-Hop. Money. Fame. Deception. Murder. All Collide in New Original Scripted Series, "Tales", Premiering Tuesday, June 27, 2017
The project is a scripted anthology series of "song stories" weaving classic and current hip-hop songs into captivating visual narratives from the lyrics of some of hip-hop's greatest hits.

[05/25/17 - 08:59 AM]
Video: All-New Hack into "Broad City!" Communication Barriers Keep Abbi & Ilana From Successfully Playing Synchronized Solitaire
Season four premieres on Wednesday, August 23 on Comedy Central.

[05/25/17 - 08:44 AM]
Bravo Media Premieres Season Three of "Odd Mom Out" on Wednesday, July 12 at 10PM ET/PT
Joining the cast this season is Christine Taylor playing Brooke's older sister, Barrett.

[05/25/17 - 08:26 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: "Survivor" Finale Puts CBS on Top
The Eye wins the evening in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[05/25/17 - 08:22 AM]
Travel Channel Names 10 of the Newest Extreme Waterslides to Ride this Weekend
These awesome aquatic adventures are just the beginning of the fun in Travel Channel's new season of "Xtreme Waterparks," premiering on Sunday, June 4.

[05/25/17 - 07:31 AM]
"Andi Mack" Has Been Ordered for Second Season on Disney Channel
The series ranks as the #1 TV series of 2017 to-date among Girls 6-11, Girls 9-14 and Girls 6-14.

[05/25/17 - 07:04 AM]
Video: EPIX Releases First Trailer for "Get Shorty"
The series is based in part on the 1990 Elmore Leonard novel of the same name.