[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[03/26/17 - 08:41 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Tops Demos on Low Key Night
The latest installment of "SNL Vintage" leads the night among adults 18-49.

[03/25/17 - 08:29 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: NCAA Coverage Puts CBS on Top
The Eye easily wins the evening in total viewers and adults 18-49.

[03/24/17 - 11:53 PM]
Development Update: Friday, March 24
Updates include: Dave Erickson to exit AMC's "Fear the Walking Dead"; Sharon Lawrence cast in "Me, Myself & I" at CBS; and Cher bows out of Lifetime's "Flint" docudrama.

[03/24/17 - 02:58 PM]
TV One Premieres "The Lost Souls Cafe" on Easter Sunday, April 16 at 6 pm ET
Loretta Devine, Christian Keyes, Kiki Haynes and Ernest L. Thomas star in the film adaptation of Donald Welch's popular inspirational stage play.

[03/24/17 - 01:20 PM]
"Into the Badlands" Is 2017's #1 Returning Cable Series
AMC further spins the numbers for Sunday, March 19.

[03/24/17 - 10:51 AM]
Univision Network Casts Marco de la O as Star of New Boundary-Breaking Original Series "El Chapo"
The new ripped-from-the-headlines drama explores the life story of one of the world's most notorious criminals over a span of three decades - from 1985, when he was a low level member of the Guadalajara Cartel, his rise to power and his ultimate downfall.

[03/24/17 - 10:38 AM]
John Leguizamo Joins the Cast of "Waco" - Premieres on Paramount Network in 2018
Leguizamo joins the cast as ATF agent Robert Rodriguez, who was was sent into Koresh's Mount Carmel to gather evidence and build a federal case against the Branch Davidians but forged a bond with the people inside.

[03/24/17 - 10:05 AM]
Discovery Channel Revs Up Motor Line-Up with New Series "House of Cars" (W/T)
The series, produced by Coolfire Studios, is an original unscripted series that proves building cars isn't just for the pros - it's for anyone who thinks they have what it takes to test their chops on a big build.

[03/24/17 - 10:00 AM]
Leah Remini and Kevin James Reunite on the Two-Part Season Finale of the #1 New Comedy "Kevin Can Wait"
In the two-part finale, Kevin agrees to come out of retirement briefly to reprise his undercover assignment in an ongoing police investigation where he and fellow cop Vanessa Cellucci (Remini) will, once again, pose as husband and wife.

[03/24/17 - 09:30 AM]
AMC to Air Special Edition of "Talking" After Show Following the "Better Call Saul" Season Three Premiere and Finale Episodes
Hosted by Chris Hardwick, the hour-long talk show will feature series cast, producers and celebrity fans discussing the Emmy(R) nominated series' third season.

[03/24/17 - 08:41 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Pulls in Front with NCAA Coverage
The Eye wins the night among total viewers and adults 18-49.

[03/24/17 - 08:02 AM]
"J. Cole: 4 Your Eyez Only, A Dreamville Film," The Grammy-Nominated Music Star's Second HBO Special, Debuts April 15
In the spirit of his previous outing, this exclusive presentation is a multi-narrative show that combines music performances with intimate interviews documented through Cole's lens.

[03/24/17 - 08:00 AM]
"Charlie Hustle" & "The Big Hurt" Reunite as MLB Analysts for FOX Sports' 2017 Season
"Charlie Hustle" and "The Big Hurt" add to an already impressive baseball cast for FOX Sports, which also includes World Series Champions Alex Rodriguez, and Nick Swisher.

[03/24/17 - 07:26 AM]
Giada De Laurentiis Returns to Her Family's Homeland and Showcases the Food and Culture of Florence in New Season of "Giada in Italy," Premiering Sunday, April 9th at 12PM ET/PT
The series shares Giada's passion for all things Italy - especially the food.

[03/24/17 - 02:52 AM]
Academy Award Winner Adrien Brody Joins "Peaky Blinders" for Series Four
Tom Hardy returns as Jewish gang leader Alfie Solomons, alongside series regulars Natasha O'Keefe and Packy Lee.