[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[05/27/16 - 10:31 AM]
AMC Is Now Home to Five of the Top 10 Shows on Cable TV and Two of the Top Three Cable Premieres This Television Season
AMC spins the numbers for the season to date.

[05/27/16 - 10:07 AM]
Pittsburgh Penguins Host San Jose Sharks in Game 1 of Stanley Cup Final Monday, May 30 - Memorial Day - at 8 P.M. ET on NBC
The Sharks advanced to their first Stanley Cup Final in franchise history with a 5-2 win in Game 6 of the Western Conference Final vs. St. Louis, while Pittsburgh advanced with a 2-1 win in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

[05/27/16 - 08:28 AM]
Night 1 of "500 Questions" Dominates Its Thursday Unscripted Competition
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 26.

[05/27/16 - 08:23 AM]
NBC's "The Red Nose Day Special" Draws a 0.6/2 and 2.155 Million Viewers Overall
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 26.

[05/27/16 - 07:11 AM]
Destination America Steps Into the Darkest Town in America in the All-New Series "Ghosts of Shepherdstown"
The six-part series launches Sunday, June 12 at 10:00/9:00c on the cable channel.

[05/27/16 - 06:00 AM]
2nd Annual Red Nose Day Raises Over $31.5 Million for Kids in Need, Over 70 Stars Join NBC for Live Charity Event "The Red Nose Day Special"
Elton John, Julia Roberts, Jack Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Tracy Morgan, Blake Shelton, Will Ferrell and Zac Efron were among the many celebrities who appeared in the live, two-hour charity television event.

[05/26/16 - 03:11 PM]
ITV and Hulu Commission Exciting Eight-Part Drama Series "Harlots"
Acclaimed actresses Samantha Morton, Lesley Manville and Jessica Brown Findlay are set to star in the series, which will be produced by Monumental Pictures.

[05/26/16 - 02:37 PM]
"Comedy Bang! Bang!" Gets "Weird" with a One-Week Free Preview of This Season's Premiere Episode
IFC is previewing the first episode of this upcoming season free on IFC.com, through the IFC mobile app, On Demand and wherever the internet lives one week before it premieres on IFC on Friday, June 3.

[05/26/16 - 02:32 PM]
"Brett Gelman's Dinner in America" Special Premieres Friday, July 1st at Midnight (ET/PT) on Adult Swim
The premise is simple: A roundtable discussion in which Brett attempts to engage four distinguished actors - Loretta Devine, Shareeka Epps, Joe Morton and Mack Wilds - in an open forum on racism.

[05/26/16 - 01:43 PM]
AMC.com Releases the Director's Commentary on the "Preacher" Pilot
Series executive producers and directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg give viewers an exclusive inside look at the premiere episode.

[05/26/16 - 12:52 PM]
CBS to Finish "Angel from Hell," "Rush Hour" Runs on Saturday Nights
Look for the former to return on Saturday, July 2 while the latter will resume on Saturday, July 23.

[05/26/16 - 12:41 PM]
Video: Showtime(R) Drops the New Trailer for Its Music Series "Roadies," The First Original Series from Oscar(R) Winner Cameron Crowe
The series gives an insider's look at the reckless, romantic, funny and often poignant lives of a committed group of roadies who live for music and the de facto family they've formed along the way.

[05/26/16 - 12:07 PM]
Michael Bloom Joins TBS & TNT as Senior Vice President of Unscripted Series and Specials
Most recently, Bloom was instrumental in forging the architecture for ELeague, the new eSports co-venture between Turner and WME | IMG.

[05/26/16 - 12:03 PM]
Kobe Bryant Named "Athlete of the Decade" by Spike TV
Spike TV proudly honors the Lakers' iconic superstar with its first ever "Athlete of the Decade" award to be presented at the network's 10th Annual "Guys Choice" event.

[05/26/16 - 12:02 PM]
WGN America's "Outsiders" Star David Morse Throws Out First Pitch at the Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Arizona Diamondbacks Game, In Celebration of the Start of Production on the Hit Series' Season Two
Morse's first pitch comes on the heels of Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto declaring Wednesday, May 18 "Outsiders Day," with a proclamation ceremony at City Hall.