[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[01/16/17 - 11:39 AM]
"Taboo" Delights in FX Premiere
FX further spins the numbers for Tuesday, January 10.

[01/16/17 - 10:02 AM]
"The Great British Baking Show" Returns to PBS for a Fourth Season of Merriment in the Kitchen
PBS also announced it has committed to a fifth season of the series that has previously aired on the BBC.

[01/16/17 - 10:01 AM]
PBS Honors Extraordinary Achievements and Explores Important Conversations as Part of Black History Month Programming
PBS kicks off a new year with documentaries and specials that highlight the African-American experience through content on-air on PBS member stations and online through the PBS Black Culture Connection.

[01/16/17 - 09:37 AM]
Sunday's Broadcast Ratings: NFL Playoffs Score Big for NBC, FOX
Nearly 49 million viewers turned into FOX at its peak for its Packers-Cowboys showdown.

[01/16/17 - 07:38 AM]
Steelers-Chiefs Score a Record Overnight Rating for a Primetime NFL Wild Card or Divisional Playoff Game
NBC spins the numbers for Sunday, January 15.

[01/16/17 - 05:06 AM]
TEGNA and MGM Launching BOLD, a Live, Interactive, Multi-Platform Program
BOLD will be the industry's first live multi-daypart syndicated show, spotlighting the day's essential stories, information and trending social media content in real-time across multiple screens.

[01/15/17 - 10:05 AM]
PBS and Stations Launch 24/7 PBS Kids Channel, Expanding Access to the #1 Children's Educational Media Brand on TV and Digital Platforms
The free service ensures that PBS Kids' high-quality content is available to all children and caregivers on a platform and at a time that works for them, including primetime, weekends and other out-of-school times when they are most likely to tune in.

[01/15/17 - 10:04 AM]
PBS and HHMI Tangled Bank Studios Celebrate 40th Anniversary of NASA Voyager Launch in "The Farthest" (w.t.)
The twin Voyager spacecraft revolutionized planetary science, resolved key questions about the outer planets and raised intriguing new ones about the evolution of our solar system.

[01/15/17 - 10:03 AM]
PBS and Time Inc. Announce "Beyond a Year in Space"
The two specials explore the human limitations for space travel and what a mission to Mars will require.

[01/15/17 - 10:02 AM]
PBS Announces New Summer of Adventure
Look for six new limited series that take viewers to some of the world's most amazing places and cultures.

[01/15/17 - 10:01 AM]
PBS Series "Nova" Shares the Great American Solar Eclipse with Audiences Across the U.S. in Special Day-of-Event Presentation
On Monday August 21, 2017, America's eyes will be glued to the skies as the mainland United States experiences the first total solar eclipse since 1979.

[01/15/17 - 09:38 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: NFL Playoff Coverage Tops Charts for CBS
The Eye's telecast of the Texans/Patriots showdown easily wins the night.

[01/15/17 - 08:41 AM]
"Saturday Night Live" Is the #1 Non-Sports Telecast of the Night on the Big 4 Networks
NBC spins the numbers for Saturday, January 14.

[01/14/17 - 05:06 PM]
AMC Announces 2017 Winter and Spring Premiere Dates for New and Returning Original Series
The cable channel sets premieres for the martial arts drama "Into the Badlands," new epic "The Son" and the Emmy(R)-nominated "Better Call Saul."

[01/14/17 - 05:05 PM]
On the Heels of Three Golden Globe(R) Wins for "The Night Manager" AMC and the BBC Team Up Again with Best-Selling Author John le Carre
"The Spy" is being distributed internationally by Paramount and adapted by Academy Award winner Simon Beaufoy.