[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[10/24/14 - 12:08 PM]
Oscar(R) Nominee Paul Giamatti and Golden Globe(R) Winner Damian Lewis Cast as Leads in the Showtime(R) Drama Project "Billions"
Acclaimed director Neil Burger (The Illusionist, Divergent, Limitless) has signed on to direct the drama pilot, which will be filmed in New York in early 2015.

[10/24/14 - 11:22 AM]
ABC Family's "Pretty Little Liars" Social Platforms to Give Fans a Behind-the-Scenes Look at Janel Parrish's "Pretty Little Liars"-Themed Dance
The ABC Family social media team has partnered with "Dancing with the Stars" to give "PLL" fans an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at Janel and her professional partner, Valentin Chmerkovskiy, as they get ready for their big performance.

[10/24/14 - 11:14 AM]
TV Land Presents: A Frightfully Funny "Roseanne" Halloween Marathon Event
TV Land will honor these notorious tricksters with a full-day marathon event that highlights "Roseanne's" Halloween episodes, leaving viewers cackling on Sunday, October 26 from 6:00 AM- 6:00 PM ET/PT!

[10/24/14 - 11:02 AM]
"Once Upon A Time" to Air Special Two-Hour Event "Smash the Mirror" on Sunday, November 16
Look for back-to-back episodes beginning at 8:00/7:00c on said night.

[10/24/14 - 11:00 AM]
"Marvel's Agent Carter" Rounds Out Cast with Lyndsy Fonseca
She'll play an aspiring actress living in 1946 New York, who will befriend Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) as she herself seeks to find her place in the post-war world.

[10/24/14 - 10:52 AM]
NBC Expands "The Voice" Live Playoffs with Extra Hour, Night
The Peacock will pre-empt "Marry Me" and "About a Boy" on Tuesday, November 11 as well as "The Mysteries of Laura" on Wednesday, November 12 to make room for the expanded "Voice" editions.

[10/24/14 - 09:46 AM]
Four-Time Emmy Winner Jim Parsons to Star in NBC's Animated Holiday Event "Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas"
The one-hour special premieres Tuesday, December 16 at 8:00/7:00c on the network.

[10/24/14 - 09:35 AM]
Terrifying Monsters Run Amok During Animal Planet's Inauguaral "Beastly Nights" Programming Event
Just in time for Halloween, Animal Planet unleashes five nights of cryptic creatures, near-death tales and never-before-seen footage.

[10/24/14 - 09:16 AM]
CBS Stars Get Social with a Week-Long #CBSInstagramTakeover Oct. 27 - Nov. 2!
In addition to Instagram, fans can follow along on the series' Facebook pages and CBS.com.

[10/24/14 - 09:13 AM]
ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" Beats NBC's "Fallon" by Its Largest Margin Yet in Homes
ABC spins the late-night numbers for Thursday, October 23.

[10/24/14 - 08:55 AM]
"The Biggest Loser" Retains 92% of Its Week-Ago Rating, Despite a Significantly Stronger NFL Game on CBS This Week
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, October 23.

[10/24/14 - 08:42 AM]
WWE(R) Superstar Christian(R) and WWE(R) Hall of Famer Edge(R) Reunite on Syfy's "Haven" in an All-New Episode Airing November 28
Jay Reso will appear in an all-new episode airing November 28, and will reprise the role for two additional episodes airing later in 2015.

[10/24/14 - 08:33 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: "Thursday Night Football" Wraps CBS Run on Top
The Thursday football franchise heads to NFL Network only beginning next week.

[10/24/14 - 08:19 AM]
ABC More Than Doubles Its Nearest Non-Sports Competition on Thursday
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, October 23.

[10/24/14 - 07:23 AM]
Season 3 of CNBC's "The Car Chasers" Will Premiere on Wednesday, November 5
Season 3 consists of 16 thirty-minute episodes: 8 new episodes will air in 2014, and the remainder of Season 3 will air in 2015.