[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[11/22/17 - 08:13 AM]
Tuesday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC, "This Is Us" Hold Off ABC, "DWTS" Finale
The Peacock wins the night among adults 18-49 while CBS is the most-watched broadcaster.

[11/22/17 - 06:30 AM]
Video: Watch the Trailer for the Netflix Film "El Camino Christmas," Launching December 8
Tim Allen, Vincent D'Onofrio, Luke Grimes, Dax Shepard, Jessica Alba, Kurtwood Smith and Michelle Mylett make up the ensemble cast.

[11/22/17 - 06:06 AM]
Amazon and Funny or Die Land Parade Powerhouse Legends Cord Hosenbeck and Tish Cattigan as Hosts for Amazon Prime Video's 2018 Rose Parade Live
Said event will stream live on Amazon Prime Video on New Year's Day, Monday, January 1, 2018 at 8:00am PT / 11:00am ET.

[11/21/17 - 08:01 PM]
A Special All-Athletes Edition of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" Is Set to Premiere in Spring 2018 on ABC
10 athletes from all corners of the sports world will be teamed up with the show's professional dancers and compete on the ballroom floor for a chance to win the coveted Mirrorball trophy.

[11/21/17 - 12:43 PM]
"Antiques Roadshow" Appraiser Brings Guest to Tears in Stunning Season Opener!
Season 22 rolls out Monday, January 8 at 8:00/7:00c on PBS.

[11/21/17 - 12:07 PM]
The CW's Midseason Finale Dates
"Riverdale" and "Dynasty" will close out the network's 2017 originals on Wednesday, December 13.

[11/21/17 - 12:00 PM]
"Little Women: Atlanta" Returns with New Episodes on December 13th Followed by the Premiere of the Home Makeover Series "Little Women: Terra's Big House"
"Little Women: LA's Terra Jole and her husband Joe star in the latter series.

[11/21/17 - 11:50 AM]
Oxygen Media Uncovers Infamous Crimes in "Mysteries & Scandals" Hosted by Soledad O'Brien Premiering Friday, January 5 at 9 PM ET/PT
The 13 episode, hour-long series investigates some of the most legendary and intriguing crimes, murders, and scandals that shook the nation and impacted pop culture through vivid first-hand accounts, re-enactments and archival footage.

[11/21/17 - 11:30 AM]
FOX Announces Premiere Dates for "LA to Vegas" and "The Resident"
Plus: the network reveals return dates for the rest of its winter lineup.

[11/21/17 - 11:09 AM]
OWN Rings in the New Year with the Series Premiere of Tyler Perry's Comedy "The Paynes" January 16
Additionally, "The Haves and the Have Nots" and "If Loving You Is Wrong" will return Tuesday, January 9 and Wednesday, January 10, respectively.

[11/21/17 - 10:55 AM]
Smithsonian Channel(TM) Survives Winter's Extremes with "Panama's Animal Highway" and "America's Badlands"
Look for said specials on Wednesday, December 13 and December 20 at 8:00/7:00c, respectively.

[11/21/17 - 10:34 AM]
NBC Picks Up Third Season of "The Good Place"
The critically acclaimed Thursday night comedy will return for another 13-episode season.

[11/21/17 - 09:33 AM]
Stars of Screen, Stage and Sport to Gather in Silicon Valley to Celebrate Science at 6th Annual "Breakthrough Prize" Ceremony Sunday, December 3
For the first time, the show will be streamed live on the Facebook and YouTube platforms of Breakthrough Prize and National Geographic.

[11/21/17 - 09:07 AM]
"Ink Master: Angels" Soar Into a Second Season on Paramount Network
The second season of 10 hour-long episodes will debut on the Paramount Network in March 2018.

[11/21/17 - 08:34 AM]
Monday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Holds Onto Top Spot in Viewers, Demos
"Dancing with the Stars" and "The Good Doctor" top said categories, respectively.