[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[12/18/14 - 09:14 AM]
New Five-Part ESPN Series "Snoop & Son: A Dad's Dream" Set for January 14
The series will air four consecutive Wednesday nights at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN (re-airs on ESPNU) with a fifth and final episode airing in mid-February.

[12/18/14 - 09:09 AM]
Spike TV and Ace Hardware Announce Major Partnership for the Network's Innovative New Series, "Framework"
The series will showcase the nation's best emerging furniture designers as they compete for a $100,000 cash prize and the opportunity to launch their furniture nationally.

[12/18/14 - 09:03 AM]
New Season of "Brain Games" Tunes Up Your Brain to Give You the Upper Hand, Starting Jan. 19 at 9 PM
Host Jason Silva will be taking you behind the scenes of mind-blowing hidden camera social experiments that reveal startling truths about your own brain and the brains of people around you.

[12/18/14 - 09:01 AM]
Beth Behrs, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Ellen Degeneres, Kat Dennings, Kevin Hart, Hunter Hayes, The Band Perry and More to Attend "People's Choice Awards 2015"
The event, airing Wednesday, January 7, will be hosted by Anna Faris and Allison Janney.

[12/18/14 - 09:01 AM]
"Bachelor" and "Bachelorette" Couples, Fan Favorites and Host Chris Harrison Will Share Their Love With Millions of Viewers on the First-Ever "Bachelor" Float in the 126th Rose Parade(R)
Chris Soules, Trista and Ryan Sutter, Jason and Molly Mesnick, Desiree Hartsock and Chris Siegfried are among those participating.

[12/18/14 - 09:00 AM]
Hulu Announces Exclusive Multi-Year Licensing Agreement with Twentieth Century Fox Television Distribution for FX Networks' Original Series Produced by FX Productions
Said pact includes the studio's upcoming series "Man Seeking Woman," "The Comedians," "Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll," "Taboo" and "Wayward Pines."

[12/18/14 - 08:44 AM]
"The Sing-Off" Ties for #2 in Its Slot Among the Big 4 in Adults 18-49
NBC spins the numbers for Wednesday, December 17.

[12/18/14 - 08:39 AM]
Wednesday's Broadcast Ratings: "Survivor" Wraps Season on Top for CBS
The Eye leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[12/18/14 - 08:26 AM]
Alfonso Ribeiro Comes to Cooking Channel in New Year with "Unwrapped 2.0"
The newcomer launches Monday, February 2 at 10:00/9:00c on the network.

[12/18/14 - 08:18 AM]
Brantley Gilbert, Ella Henderson, Nick Jonas, Nico & Vinz and Train Join New Year's Line Up with Performances from Billboard Hollywood Party
Previously announced performers include Iggy Azalea, Bastille, Charli XCX, Jason Derulo, One Direction, Pentatonix, Rixton and Meghan Trainor.

[12/18/14 - 08:17 AM]
Steve Austin Returns to Kick Some Ass in a Bone-Crushing Season of "Broken Skull Challenge" Returning January 4 on CMT
The toughest competition series on TV, each week men and women from across the country battle it out in physically and mentally grueling challenges until only one is left standing.

[12/18/14 - 08:05 AM]
NBCSN Will Post Best Viewership in Network's History in 2014 & Rank as Fastest Growing Sports Cable Net
NBCSN spins the numbers for the year to date.

[12/18/14 - 08:04 AM]
Syfy Announces Casting of New Acquired Scripted Series "Dark Matter"
Melissa O'Neil, Marc Bendavid, Anthony Lemke, Alex Mallari Jr. and Jodelle Ferland co-star alongside Roger Cross and Zoie Palmer.

[12/18/14 - 07:59 AM]
Freshman Hit "Scorpion" and Relocated "NCIS: Los Angeles" Deliver Ratings Growth on Monday
CBS spins the numbers for Monday, December 15.

[12/18/14 - 07:11 AM]
Higher Bets, Louder Smack Talk and Faster Cars When Discovery Channel's "Street Outlaws" Returns
The series returns this Monday, December 29 at 9:00/8:00c on the cable channel.