[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[01/31/15 - 08:47 AM]
"Grimm" Retains 92% of Last Week's Rating in Adults 18-49, Which Matched Its Highest Result Since Its Season Debut
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, January 30.

[01/31/15 - 08:39 AM]
ABC Wins Friday with the Top 2 Shows - "20/20" Hits 10-Week Highs
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, January 30.

[01/31/15 - 08:35 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Takes Home Demo Crown with "Shark Tank"
The network's reality mainstay leads the night among adults 18-49.

[01/30/15 - 03:44 PM]
Video: "Game of Thrones" - Season 5 Trailer
The show's 10-episode fifth season kicks off on Sunday, April 12 at 9:00/8:00c.

[01/30/15 - 02:01 PM]
Production Has Started in New Orleans on "Zoo," CBS's New Drama Series Based on James Patterson's Bestselling Novel
The series starring James Wolk, Kristen Connolly, Billy Burke, Nora Arnezeder and Nonso Anozie will premiere in summer 2015.

[01/30/15 - 01:30 PM]
HBO Greenlights Miniseries "Lewis and Clark," Starring Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts, With Production to Begin This Summer
Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are among the executive producers.

[01/30/15 - 01:01 PM]
Airdate of March 25 Set for "Nashville: On the Record 2," One Hour Music Special Featuring Performances by the Cast and Special Superstar Guest Reba
Direct from Nashville's world famous Grand Ole Opry House, cast members of ABC's acclaimed primetime series "Nashville" will take the stage to perform songs from the show and provide candid interviews backstage.

[01/30/15 - 11:34 AM]
ABC Family Begins Production and Announces Cast of Two Comedy Pilots: "Kevin from Work" and "Tough Cookie"
Both pilots are single-camera and are shooting in Los Angeles.

[01/30/15 - 11:24 AM]
HGTV Delivers Highest Rated Wednesday Night in Its History with "Property Brothers" and "House Hunters"
HGTV spins the numbers for Wednesday, January 28.

[01/30/15 - 10:30 AM]
USA Network Announces Super Bowl Spot for "Dig"
The 15-second spot will feature clips from the international production, premiering Thursday, March 5 at 10:00/9:00c.

[01/30/15 - 09:18 AM]
Chart Topping Fall Out Boy and Charli XCX Will Get the Party Started for Super Bowl XLIX at "VH1 + Papa John's(R) Super Bowl Blitz: A Concert for the Troops"
Joining tonight's celebration is Super Bowl XLIX's esteemed National Anthem singer Idina Menzel.

[01/30/15 - 09:06 AM]
"Rosie O'Donnell: A Heartfelt Stand Up," A Unique Hybrid of Comedy, Confession and Life-Saving Information, Debuts Feb. 14, Exclusively on HBO
Taped at the Levity Live Comedy Club inside the Palisades Center Mall in West Nyack, NY, the special showcases O'Donnell's skills as a laugh-out-loud stand-up comedian, while incorporating a vital message literally near and dear to her heart.

[01/30/15 - 08:44 AM]
Series Finale of "Parenthood" Delivers Its Biggest Overall Audience Since December 11, 2012
NBC spins the numbers for Thursday, January 29.

[01/30/15 - 08:36 AM]
ABC Dominates the First Night of the February Sweep with the Return of TGIT, Scoring its Highest Adult 18-49 Rating Since Season-Premiere Thursday
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, January 29.

[01/30/15 - 08:34 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC's Dramas Return with a Demo Victory
"Scandal" and "Grey's Anatomy" return up double-digits from their fall finales in adults 18-49.