[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[02/16/18 - 11:49 PM]
Development Update: Friday, February 16
Updates include: Madeline Stowe to star in FOX's "Mixtape"; Aunjanue Ellis set for lead role in "Chiefs" at CBS; and Lynn Collins among those bound for ABC's "Safe Harbor."

[02/16/18 - 05:54 PM]
"Descendants 3" Was Announced to Disney Channel Viewers Tonight in a Special Message from "Mal"
"Descendants 3" will begin production there in summer for a debut next year on Disney Channel.

[02/16/18 - 01:48 PM]
NBC Olympics' PyeongChang Coverage Delivered Most Dominant Winter Games Thursday Night Since Sarah Hughes Won Gold & Bode Miller Took Silver in 2002
NBC further spins the numbers for Thursday, February 15.

[02/16/18 - 12:00 PM]
Video: TBS Reveals First Trailer for "The Last O.G."
The series centers on Tray (Tracy Morgan), an ex-con shocked to see just how much the world has changed when he is released from prison for on good behavior after a 15-year stint.

[02/16/18 - 11:56 AM]
Travel Channel Triggers Mid-Season Pick Up of "Expedition Unknown" with Josh Gates
Production on the new season is slated to begin this spring.

[02/16/18 - 11:47 AM]
Check Out the New "iZombie" Season 4 Key Art!
The new season kicks off Monday, February 26 at 9:00/8:00c on The CW.

[02/16/18 - 11:00 AM]
Emmy(R) Award Winner Alfre Woodard to Guest-Star as Cookie's Mother on "Empire"
Renee, Cookie's mother, comes back into her life with a turbulent reunion.

[02/16/18 - 10:30 AM]
VH1's Unstoppable Streak Continues with a New Season of "Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta" and the Return of Erica Mena Monday, March 19 at 8PM ET/PT
After several failed relationships Erica is ready to leave her past behind her in search of a fresh start in Atlanta.

[02/16/18 - 10:30 AM]
Emmy Award-Winning "So You Think You Can Dance" Returns for 15th Season, Premiering Summer 2018 on FOX
Emmy Award winner Nigel Lythgoe, award-winning choreographer Mary Murphy and award-winning actress, singer and dancer Vanessa Hudgens will return as resident judges on the series, hosted by Emmy Award nominee Cat Deeley.

[02/16/18 - 09:02 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Rides Winter Olympics to Top Spot
The Peacock leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[02/16/18 - 09:00 AM]
CBS All Access Announces Additional Casting for "Strange Angel"
Production of the 1930s-set series began earlier this month on location across Los Angeles.

[02/16/18 - 08:17 AM]
Science Channel's All-New Series "Secrets of the Lost" Kicks Off with Two Episodes Offering Incredible Insight Into the Great Pyramid of Giza with Help of Newly Uncovered Ancient Text
The new, six-episode series premieres Sunday, February 25 at 10:00/9:00c on Science Channel.

[02/16/18 - 08:06 AM]
Emmy(R) Award-Winning "Rupaul's Drag Race" Returns for a Milestone 10th Season on Thursday, March 22 Followed by an All-New Season of "Untucked"
Each supersized, 90-minute episode of "RuPaul's Drag Race" will give fans more fashion, lip-syncs and drag than ever before.

[02/16/18 - 08:03 AM]
Welcome to the Neighborhood! Netflix Reveals First Look at "Santa Clarita Diet" Season 2's Newest Residents
Joel McHale, Maggie Lawson, Gerald McRaney and Zachary Knighton are all on tap for the new season, due this spring.

[02/16/18 - 05:31 AM]
90th Oscars(R) First Slate of Presenters Announced
The presenters, including past Oscar winners and nominees, are Mahershala Ali, Chadwick Boseman, Viola Davis, Laura Dern, Jennifer Garner, Tiffany Haddish, Greta Gerwig, Tom Holland, Kumail Nanjiani, Margot Robbie, Emma Stone and Daniela Vega.