[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[04/23/17 - 08:52 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: NHL Playoffs Spark Demo Victory for NBC
The Peacock's primetime coverage leads the night among adults 18-49.

[04/22/17 - 08:34 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Slips Into Top Spot Among Adults 18-49
With CBS in repeats, the Peacock takes home the demo crown.

[04/21/17 - 01:37 PM]
TV One Announces Production of New Original Documentary Series, "Evidence of Innocence"
Hosted by Benjamin Crump, the series will profile the unbelievable true stories of individuals who were convicted of crimes they didn't commit, the journey each endured to have their cases overturned and the challenge to rebuild their lives.

[04/21/17 - 01:25 PM]
DIY Network Produces Pilot Starring Grammy Award-Winning Rap Artist Sir Mix-A-Lot
The special one-hour episode will feature Anthony - a Grammy(R) award winning rap artist and expert house-flipper - as he finds, renovates and flips houses in his hometown of Seattle.

[04/21/17 - 12:20 PM]
"Josh Gates' Destination Truth" Brings More Epic Adventures to Travel Channel
In the 43 one-hour episodes, explorer Josh Gates experiences hilarious and harrowing adventures in search of the truth behind the world's most unusual mysteries.

[04/21/17 - 11:46 AM]
Melissa Benoist and Julia Garner Join the Cast of "Waco"
Produced by Weinstein Television, the series is currently in production in Santa Fe, NM.

[04/21/17 - 11:42 AM]
Investigation Discovery to Encore "Killing Richard Glossip" in Wake of Arkansas Execution Last Night
As previously announced, and ahead of the premiere earlier this week, ID greenlit a fifth episode to capture new developments that come to light in the case.

[04/21/17 - 10:21 AM]
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Original Premiere Date Changes
Look for "A Bundle of Trouble: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery" now on Sunday, May 21 while "Site Unseen: An Emma Fielding Mystery" is moving to Sunday, June 4.

[04/21/17 - 10:12 AM]
TV One Presents Stories of Perseverance, Love and Triumph with 2017-2018 Slate of Original Movies
"We are so excited to produce and present such a wide range of original films that expand the narrative of our community," said D'Angela Proctor.

[04/21/17 - 10:11 AM]
TV One Represents with Expanded Morning News, Current Affairs and Lifestyle Line-Up, Plus Increased Commitment to Family Reality and True Crime & Justice Shows During 2017 Upfront Presentation
"Our goal is to provide our discerning audience of information-conscious influencers with more of what they are looking for in original films, family reality, true crime and justice content," said Brad Siegel.

[04/21/17 - 10:01 AM]
Multiplatinum Superstar G-Eazy to Perform on Tuesday, April 25 Live Telecast of NBC's "The Voice"
G-Eazy will perform his new song "Good Life," which bears the honor of being the end title and closing track in Universal Pictures' most recent box office smash, "The Fate of the Furious."

[04/21/17 - 09:15 AM]
Freeform Picks Up a Third Season of the Hit Saga Series "Shadowhunters"
"Shadowhunters" returns for the second half of season two on Monday, June 5, with Shadowhunters and Downworlders reeling from what happened at the New York Institute in the winter finale.

[04/21/17 - 08:31 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Wins Tight Demo Race
The Eye edges ABC, FOX and NBC by one-tenth of a ratings point among adults 18-49.

[04/20/17 - 05:16 PM]
NFL Network to Televise 18 NFL Games in 2017
Presented by Bud Light, the slate of 13 regular season games kicks off when the Houston Texans visit the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, September 14 exclusively on NFL Network.

[04/20/17 - 05:13 PM]
From Kickoff to Super Bowl LII, NBC Bookends the 2017 NFL Season & Is Home to a Record 28 Regular Season and Postseason Games
NBC's schedule opens with a blockbuster Kickoff Weekend featuring four 2016 playoff teams.