[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/23/17 - 08:34 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: NBC Claims Demo Crown with "Dateline"
The Peacock tops the evening among adults 18-49 while CBS is the most-watched broadcaster.

[09/22/17 - 01:09 PM]
TLC's Franchise Original "90 Day Fiance" Returns for Season 5 with New Couples and Outrageous International Love Stories
Couples spread across the globe begin the tumultuous and challenging journey to the altar in the brand-new season, premiering on Sunday, October 8.

[09/22/17 - 12:31 PM]
"Crisis on Earth-X" - Your First Look at This Season's Massive DCTV Crossover Is Here
To celebrate the announcement, artist Phil Jimenez was asked to create a custom comic book cover paying homage to DC's longtime annual comic book crossovers.

[09/22/17 - 12:00 PM]
"Star Trek: Discovery" Live After-Show "After Trek" Debuts This Sunday on CBS All Access
Matt Mira will host the series, while Sonequa Martin-Green, James Frain and Aaron Harberts will appear in the first episode.

[09/22/17 - 11:30 AM]
FOX Orders "Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell & Back"
The new eight-episode series will feature Ramsay going through hell in order to bring failing restaurants back from the brink of disaster - all within 24 hours.

[09/22/17 - 10:52 AM]
Hallmark Channel Celebrates "Fall Harvest" with 5 New Original Movies
Highlights include "All of My Heart: Inn Love," the sequel to the 2015 film.

[09/22/17 - 10:05 AM]
"Fast N' Loud" Roars Back to Discovery with Brand-New Episodes on Monday, October 16th
Hot-rod hunter Richard Rawlings and his team of Monkeys are back for a bold new era at Gas Monkey Garage.

[09/22/17 - 09:00 AM]
Video: truTV Debuts Trailer for "At Home with Amy Sedaris"
Amy cordially invites you into her home, where she will show off diverse but necessary homemaking skills.

[09/22/17 - 08:32 AM]
Video: "Fuller House" Cast Looks Back on 30 Years
From new additions to the family to regrettable hairstyles, a lot has changed in the last 30 years.

[09/22/17 - 08:24 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: FOX Pulls in Front with "Gotham," "Orville"
Said duo combines to take the adults 18-49 crown last night.

[09/22/17 - 08:16 AM]
FXX to Air Season One of "The Mick" Tomorrow, Saturday, Sept. 23, Beginning at 3:30 PM ET/PT
The series returns for its second season on Tuesday, September 26 at 9:00/8:00c.

[09/22/17 - 08:01 AM]
President Bill Clinton and James Patterson Upcoming Novel "The President Is Missing" to Be Adapted Into Series by Showtime(R)
In the book, President Clinton and Patterson tell the startling story of a sitting U.S. president's disappearance, with the level of detail that only someone who has held the office can know - generating a powerful, one-of-a-kind thriller.

[09/22/17 - 07:32 AM]
BBC America's "Queers" to Premiere Wednesday, October 11, on National Coming Out Day
All eight films will be available on October 12 on VOD, at BBCAmerica.com and on the BBC America App.

[09/22/17 - 05:01 AM]
It's Man Versus Machine as Production Begins on Season Three of Channel 4, AMC and Kudos' Acclaimed Drama Series, "Humans"
The eight-episode third season is slated to premiere next year.

[09/22/17 - 01:02 AM]
Daniel Mays, Sian Brooke and Sam Taylor Buck Confirmed as Further "Good Omens" Casting Revealed
The television adaptation of the best-selling novel by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett began shooting in London this week.