[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[02/25/17 - 08:43 AM]
ABC Wins Friday with "Shark Tank" as the #1 Show for the 6th Week Running
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, February 24.

[02/25/17 - 08:30 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Edges Out Competition in Adults 18-49
"Shark Tank" sparks another demo victory for the Alphabet.

[02/25/17 - 08:26 AM]
"Grimm" Matches Its 18-49 High Since the Show's Season Premiere
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, February 24.

[02/25/17 - 07:04 AM]
Video: BBC America Releases "Doctor Who" New Companion Trailer
Peter Capaldi (the Doctor) will be joined this season by Pearl Mackie (new companion Bill) and Matt Lucas (assistant Nardole), with guest appearances from David Suchet and Michelle Gomez.

[02/24/17 - 11:46 PM]
Development Update: Friday, February 24
Updates include: Freddie Highmore is ABC's "Good Doctor"; Cress Williams to play title role in The CW's "Black Lightning"; and Matt Czuchry cast in FOX's "The Resident."

[02/24/17 - 04:46 PM]
The Second Season of "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" Will Premiere Wednesday, March 8
The series will replace newcomer "Doubt" in the 10:00/9:00c hour.

[02/24/17 - 03:13 PM]
Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Warren Beatty, Sofia Boutella, Matt Damon and More Announced as Final Slate of 89th Oscars(R) Presenters
Also on tap: Faye Dunaway, Michael J. Fox, Ryan Gosling, Salma Hayek, Taraji P. Henson, Dev Patel, Seth Rogen, Octavia Spencer, Meryl Streep and Vince Vaughn.

[02/24/17 - 01:09 PM]
E! Exclusive Premiere of "Fifty Shades of Grey" to Air Sunday, March 5 at 7:30 PM ET/PT
The telecast will be followed by the debut of the network's second scripted series "The Arrangement."

[02/24/17 - 11:38 AM]
Platinum-Selling Artists Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello to Perform at "Nickelodeon's 2017 Kids' Choice Awards"
Hosted by WWE Superstar John Cena, the show will air live on Saturday, March 11 from USC's Galen Center in Los Angeles.

[02/24/17 - 10:11 AM]
Animated Adult Television Series "Animals.," Created by Phil Matarese & Mike Luciano, from Duplass Brothers Productions, Returns for Its Second Season March 17, Exclusively on HBO
The series is also available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and affiliate portals.

[02/24/17 - 10:04 AM]
Video: The Story of "The Handmaid's Tale"
The 10-episode first season premieres Wednesday, April 26 on Hulu.

[02/24/17 - 09:30 AM]
Tracy Morgan Comes to Netflix with All-New Stand-Up Comedy Special Launching Tuesday, May 16th
Tracy Morgan's "Staying Alive" finds the comedy icon exploring his fresh take on life, career and mortality in the wake of surviving a devastating near-fatal traffic collision in 2014.

[02/24/17 - 09:30 AM]
BBC America's London East End Drama, "Ripper Street," Returns for Its Final Season on March 8
The powerful closing chapter picks up mere days after the grisly death of Detective Inspector Bennet Drake, which reunites his old friends, Detective Inspector Edmund Reid, surgeon Captain Homer Jackson and "Long" Susan Hart, to bring his murderer to justice.

[02/24/17 - 08:42 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Hangs Onto Demo Crown
A new "Grey's Anatomy" sparks another victory for the Alphabet among adults 18-49.

[02/24/17 - 08:30 AM]
Showtime(R) Celebrates "Twin Peaks" Day, Unveiling Dual Key Art
One poster depicts Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee), whose mysterious death sparked the "Twin Peaks" saga, while the other showcases series star Kyle MacLachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper.