[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[11/22/14 - 09:02 AM]
"Constantine" Jumps 38% Week to Week in Adults 18-49 to Hit Its Highest Rating Since Its Series Debut
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, November 21.

[11/22/14 - 08:45 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Tops Demos for Fourth Consecutive Week
The network's "Shark Tank" posts a 2.0 rating among adults 18-49.

[11/22/14 - 08:39 AM]
ABC Wins Friday for November Sweep in Adults 18-49 - Hits Season Highs Across the Night
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, November 21.

[11/21/14 - 03:07 PM]
Netflix to Premiere Globally in March 2015 the New Tina Fey and Robert Carlock Comedy Series Starring Ellie Kemper
"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" was originally slated to premiere on NBC and instead will now launch exclusively across all Netflix territories.

[11/21/14 - 01:30 PM]
Disney XD to Sneak Preview New Original Series "Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero" on Friday, December 5
Emmy Award-winner Henry Winkler guest stars as The Snowman.

[11/21/14 - 01:28 PM]
Feast with the Titans in a Special Thanksgiving Episode of "Teen Titans Go!" Airing Wednesday, November 26, at 5:30 p.m. ET/PT
In addition, the Titans have a lot to be thankful for as the action-comedy series continues to be a strong performer on Cartoon Network.

[11/21/14 - 01:08 PM]
Emmy(R) and Tony Award(R) Winner Ellen Barkin to Guest Star on "Happyish" on Showtime(R)
She's set as Dani Kirschenbloom, a headhunter who works closely with Thom Payne (Steve Coogan).

[11/21/14 - 12:52 PM]
CBS Celebrates the Holidays with Very Merry Episodes
These original episodes join the previously announced holiday music specials as well as perennial holiday favorites.

[11/21/14 - 12:02 PM]
VH1 to Air Special Encore Presentation of "Behind the Music: Aaliyah" on Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 6PM and 10PM
Aaliyah's family members participated in the original production in 2001 and her brother approved the additions made in the updated 2012 version, which will be seen on Sunday.

[11/21/14 - 11:00 AM]
Season Three Premiere of Bounce TV's "Off The Chain" Series Reaches Over 1.7 Million Viewers
Bounce TV spins the numbers for Wednesday, November 19.

[11/21/14 - 10:24 AM]
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network Announces 2015 Premiere Dates for Returning Favorite Series and an All-New Network Special
"The Haves and the Have Nots," "Love Thy Neighbor" and "Raising Whitley" are among the returning class.

[11/21/14 - 10:06 AM]
Spike TV to Premiere "Lip Sync Battle" from Jimmy Fallon's Eight Million Plus Productions, John Krasinski and Stephen Merchant
The announcement was made by Jimmy Fallon last night on "The Tonight Show" during his interview with Stephen Merchant.

[11/21/14 - 10:06 AM]
"Home & Family" Primetime Holiday Special Premieres on Hallmark Channel November 24th
Candace Cameron Bure, Lacey Chabert, Genie Francis and Marilu Henner are among the scheduled guests.

[11/21/14 - 09:46 AM]
First Look Photo from the New Season of the Hit Showtime(R) Drama Series "Penny Dreadful"
The new season is currently in production in Dublin, Ireland for a 2015 debut on the network.

[11/21/14 - 09:17 AM]
William Shatner Joins "Haven" Cast As Recurring Guest Star
Shatner will play a pivotal character that has the potential to forever impact the fate of the town of Haven and its troubled residents.