[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[09/26/16 - 07:03 AM]
Video: Netflix Releases Ava DuVernay's 13TH Trailer
The documentary explores how mass incarceration evolved to its current epic proportions and what the ramifications are for communities of color across the country.

[09/26/16 - 06:38 AM]
Video: Netflix Debuts Second Trailer for Original Series "Marvel's Luke Cage"
The latest installment in Marvel's Netflix franchise launches this Friday, September 30.

[09/26/16 - 12:56 AM]
"Las Chicas del Cable", A Netflix Original Series, Starts Principal Photography in Spain
The series is set to begin in Madrid during 1928.

[09/25/16 - 11:26 AM]
Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Tops Demos with College Football
The Alphabet wins the night among adults 18-49 while CBS is the most-watched network.

[09/25/16 - 11:18 AM]
"This Is Us" Grabs NBC's Best Premiere Live + 3 Lift Ever in 18-49 Rating
NBC further spins the numbers for Tuesday, September 20.

[09/25/16 - 11:02 AM]
FOX Comedies - "Brooklyn Nine-Nine," "New Girl" and "Scream Queens" - See Significant Gains in Live + 3
FOX further spins the numbers for Tuesday, September 20.

[09/25/16 - 10:12 AM]
College Football Week 4: ESPN/ABC with Five of the Six Highest Overnights Across All Networks
ESPN spins the numbers for Saturday, September 24.

[09/25/16 - 08:30 AM]
ABC's "S.H.I.E.L.D." Is Tuesday's Biggest Gainer in Adults 18-49 with a Best-Ever 82% Jump
ABC further spins the numbers for Tuesday, September 20.

[09/24/16 - 11:16 AM]
FOX Hit Dramas - "Gotham" and "Lucifer" - See Significant Gains in Live + 3
FOX further spins the numbers for Monday, September 19.

[09/24/16 - 10:06 AM]
Monday's "The Good Place" Is the Week's Top Debut Half-Hour of a New Comedy in Live + 3
NBC further spins the numbers for Monday, September 19.

[09/24/16 - 08:48 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: "MacGyver" Debuts on Top for CBS
The Eye's reboot leads the night in both total viewers and adults 18-49.

[09/23/16 - 02:31 PM]
"Superstore" Is Stocking Up! NBC Orders Full Second Season
NBC's crowd-pleasing comedy "Superstore" has added nine more episodes to its inventory bringing the season total to 22.

[09/23/16 - 12:21 PM]
Oxygen Media Presents "Snapped: Notorious - The Menendez Brothers" Premiering Sunday, October 2nd from 9PM - 11PM ET/PT
Oxygen Media will take an unflinching look at the Menendez Brothers' case, from their privileged upbringing, to the shocking details of their savage crime, to the ongoing debate that asks: Are the brothers monsters? Or are they victims of parental abuse?

[09/23/16 - 12:18 PM]
Video: "Shameless" Season Seven Premiere Available Now Across Multiple Platforms
Said installment comes in advance of its linear premiere on Sunday, October 2.

[09/23/16 - 11:10 AM]
Showtime(R) Presents "Sebastian Maniscalco: Why Would You Do That?"
Directed by Joe Demaio, written by Maniscalco and filmed live at New York City's famed Beacon Theatre during one of the seven sold-out shows on his 2016 tour, the hour-long special is chock-full of skepticism.