[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[04/17/21 - 10:08 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Viewers, Demos with "Blue Bloods"
The Eye holds off the competition in total viewers, shares the demo crown with ABC and FOX.

[04/17/21 - 09:01 AM]
Video: "Haunted" Season 3 - Official Trailer - Netflix
More real people share scary stories from their past - and the truth is terrifying.

[04/16/21 - 11:13 PM]
Development Update: Friday, April 16
Updates include: Frances Fisher boards USA's "The Sinner"; John Ortiz tapped for ABC's "Promised Land"; and Netflix eyes new series set in the "Castlevania" universe.

[04/16/21 - 05:01 PM]
Video: "The Naked Director" Season 2 - Date Announcement - Netflix
Season two drops Thursday, June 24 on the streaming service.

[04/16/21 - 03:30 PM]
93rd Oscars(R) Performers Kick Off Oscar(R) Sunday
Celeste, H.E.R., Leslie Odom Jr., Laura Pausini, Daniel Pemberton, Molly Sandén and Diane Warren will perform the five nominated original songs in their entirety for "Oscars(R): Into the Spotlight," the lead-in to the 93rd Oscars.

[04/16/21 - 02:26 PM]
FOX to Shuffle Thursday Lineup Starting April 29
Repeats of "Name That Tune" will inherit the "Hell's Kitchen" slot at 8:00/7:00c, followed by "Last Man Standing" at 9:00/8:00c and newcomer "Let's Be Real" at 9:30/8:30c (replacing "The Moodys").

[04/16/21 - 02:00 PM]
discovery+ True Crime Highlights - Weeks of April 26 and May 3
"When Philip Met Missy" and "Queen of Meth" are among the latest additions in the coming weeks.

[04/16/21 - 12:02 PM]
FX Sets Date for Renowned Artist David Choe's TV Canvas "The Choe Show"
FX will air all five episodes of the series on Friday, June 25 beginning at 10:00/9:00c.

[04/16/21 - 10:01 AM]
Ballroom Competition Series "Legendary" Returns May 6 on HBO Max
This season features 10 new houses igniting the catwalk to battle for the legendary trophy and the $100,000 cash prize.

[04/16/21 - 10:00 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Leads Night in Viewers, Demos
"Grey's Anatomy" tops the charts for the Alphabet among adults 18-49.

[04/16/21 - 09:02 AM]
This Is Where It All Started - The Final Season of "Castlevania" Arrives May 13
Netflix confirmed the news on social media today.

[04/16/21 - 08:20 AM]
New Blood Ignites Flames on Season Six of "Growing Up Hip Hop" Premiering Thursday, May 13 at 9 PM ET on WE tv
Grammy Award-winning producer Stevie J, daughter Savannah and son Stevie Jr., as well as famed industry vet Luther "Uncle Luke" Campbell and daughter Cree, join the stacked cast this year.

[04/16/21 - 07:59 AM]
Starz Picks Up "Shining Vale" Horror Comedy Series Starring Courteney Cox, Greg Kinnear and Mira Sorvino
Merrin Dungey, Gus Birney and Dylan Gage also star in the project, from Jeff Astrof and Sharon Horgan.

[04/16/21 - 07:00 AM]
Danish Drama "Blinded - Those Who Kill" Debuts Exclusively on Acorn TV on Monday, May 10
The series revolves around an unsolved case in which three young men were killed within a few months.

[04/16/21 - 05:30 AM]
U.S. Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry Guests on Nickelodeon's Brand-New Earth Day Special, "Nick News: Kids and the Impact of Climate Change"
The hour-long special will tackle environmental issues, educate kids on the importance of protecting the planet and empower action through stories of kids and families across the country who are working to address the effects of climate change in their communities.