[10/29/08 - 03:32 PM]
David Tennant to Leave Doctor Who
The BBC has confirmed that Tennant will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

[via press release from BBC]

David Tennant to leave Doctor Who

David Tennant has announced that he will leave the award winning BBC One drama Doctor Who when he has completed the filming of four special episodes which will be screened in 2009 and early in 2010.

David Tennant first appeared as The Doctor in 2005 and has gone on to star in three series and three Christmas specials as the tenth incarnation of the Time Lord.

The BBC has confirmed that David will continue to play The Doctor in the four specials that will make up the 2009 series before a new Doctor takes over for Series 5.

Tennant will also star in the Doctor Who Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, this year.

David Tennant comments: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who.

"I have loved every day of it.. It would be very easy to cling on to the Tardis console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. You would be prising the Tardis key out of my cold dead hand.

"This show has been so special to me, I don't want to outstay my welcome.

"This is all a long way off, of course. I'm not quitting, I'm back in Cardiff in January to film four special episodes which will take Doctor Who all the way through 2009.

"I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git � whoever that may be.

"I'd always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me.

"Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010.

"I feel very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer of Doctor Who, comments: ""I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years � and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano.

"But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

David expands upon his decision in a taped interview which can be found at bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Doctor Who returns to our screens on BBC this Christmas. The Next Doctor starring David Tennant, David Morrissey and Dervla Kirwan will be screened on 25 December 2008 on BBC One.

[october 2008]

· DOCTOR WHO (BBC AMERICA)

[02/13/16 - 08:44 AM]
Friday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC Leads the Night Among Adults 18-49
"Shark Tank" and "20/20" post big gains from a week ago.

[02/13/16 - 08:40 AM]
ABC Wins Friday with "Shark Tank" and "20/20" at Season Highs
ABC spins the numbers for Friday, February 12.

[02/13/16 - 08:29 AM]
"Grimm" Matches Its 18-49 High Since Nov. 6
NBC spins the numbers for Friday, February 12.

[02/12/16 - 05:55 PM]
The Academy Announces Third Slate of Presenters for the 88th Oscars(R)
"The Oscars(R)," hosted by Chris Rock, will air live Oscar Sunday, February 28, on ABC.

[02/12/16 - 02:05 PM]
MTV's Comedy Darlings, "Awkward" and "Faking It" Return with Plenty of Surprises on Tuesday, March 15 at 10PM and 10:30PM ET/PT
The second half of "Awkward" season 5 kicks off at the beginning of summer, a year after we last saw Jenna and her friends.

[02/12/16 - 02:01 PM]
Jamie-Lynn Sigler Signs on to Guest Star on Freeform's Hit Series "Baby Daddy"
Sigler will portray Sarah Gilcrest, the "hot teacher" from Ben's high school days.

[02/12/16 - 01:19 PM]
Discovery Family Channel Celebrates Valentine's Day with a Weekend Filled with Shows Dedicated to Love and Friendship
The network will offer something for every member of the household from animated series such as "Strawberry Shortcake," "My Little Pony" and "Littlest Pet Shop" to special episodes of "Cake Boss" and some beloved films from a recent past.

[02/12/16 - 01:18 PM]
Discovery Family Channel Celebrates President's Day with a Special Programming Line Up
Look for a special presentation of "Broadway at the White House" and the film "The American President" on Monday, February 15.

[02/12/16 - 01:02 PM]
LEGO Star Wars Animated Short Featuring "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Characters to Debut Monday, February 15 on Disney XD
"Poe to the Rescue" is the first episode in "LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises," a series of all-new animated shorts that take place prior to the First Order's attack on Jakku.

[02/12/16 - 11:04 AM]
Video: "Confirmation" - Long Lead Tease (HBO Films)
The Kerry Washington-led film premieres Saturday, April 16 on the pay channel.

[02/12/16 - 10:22 AM]
Video: "Veep" Season 5 - Clip Tease (HBO)
The series returns for its 10-episode fifth season on Sunday, April 24.

[02/12/16 - 10:15 AM]
Syfy Greenlights Original Sci-Fi Thriller "Prototype" to Pilot
The project centers on three unlikely cohorts who inadvertently stumble upon an invention that challenges the very nature of quantum physics - a discovery which in turn puts their lives in grave danger.

[02/12/16 - 09:39 AM]
Video: AMC Releases a First-Look Trailer for the Upcoming Mini-Series Event "The Night Manager" Premiering on Tuesday, April 19 at 10 PM ET/PT
Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Olivia Colman, Tom Hollander and Elizabeth Debicki star in the project.

[02/12/16 - 09:04 AM]
Thursday's Broadcast Ratings: ABC, FOX Split Demo Crown
FOX however is the most-watched network on the night.

[02/12/16 - 09:03 AM]
Showtime(R) Kicks Off Grammy(R) Weekend by Unveiling the Official Trailer for Cameron Crowe's New Music Series "Roadies"
Luke Wilson and Carla Gugino star in the project, premiering Sunday, June 26 at 10:00/9:00c.