OPERATION CHAOS: CBS BRINGS ITS NEW SERIES, "CHAOS," TO SXSW(R) INTERACTIVE WITH A SPY-THEMED MOBILE GAME ON SCVNGR
Using the Free SCVNGR App, SXSW(R) Attendees Can Unlock Rewards
At Iconic Austin Locations, Including a CHAOS-Themed Party
With Series Stars Freddy Rodriguez and Tim Blake Nelson
And Executive Producer Brett Ratner
AUSTIN, Texas - March 11, 2011 - In the spirit of CBS's upcoming comedic drama, CHAOS, about a group of rogue CIA spies, the Network has planted espionage-themed challenges at Austin hot spots during this year's SXSW(R) via SCVNGR, the mobile social game that's all about going places, doing challenges and earning rewards.
CHAOS premieres Friday, April 1 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on CBS, but SXSW(R) Interactive attendees and Austin visitors can get a unique first-look by using the SCVNGR app to play CBS's CHAOS game on Saturday, March 12 and Sunday, March 13.
"CHAOS is a fun and quirky series about espionage, and the SCVNGR spy-themed CHAOS game gives us an equally fun and unique means of introducing the series to the SXSW audience in a way that rings true to the conference's interactive spirit," said Anne O'Grady, Executive Vice President, CBS Marketing.
Operation CHAOS on SCVNGR
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to download the free SCVNGR app at either the Android Market or Apple App Store, check-in and start playing to redeem prizes at the following Austin hot spots throughout the weekend:
· "You May Call Me" at Austin Java City Hall - To be a CIA spy, you need to have the right cover. Send in what your alias would be if you were part of the CHAOS team, and win a free coffee. (301 West 2nd Street, Austin, TX 78701-3906)
· "Shaken Not Stirred" at Maggie Mae's Sixth Street - Every spy needs a signature drink. Take a look at the menu, and then tell us what drink fits your spy personality. Do it and win a free cold one! **Saturday, March 12 only. (323 East 6th Street, Austin, TX 78701-3627)
· "Spy vs. Spy" at Hey Cupcake - What happens when a spy fights another spy? Pair off with a friend and stage a fake battle. Have someone snap a photo of the action. Redeem a sweet CHAOS cupcake at the register. (1600 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704-2496)
· "Camouflage Yourself" at Allens Boots - Every good spy needs to be able to blend in to the background. Fit into the Austin scene by trying out some killer cowboy/cowgirl hats or boots and have a friend snap a photo. Redeem a free Allens Boots koozie to keep your beverage well hidden. (1522 South Congress Avenue, Austin, TX 78704-2496)
· "Crack the Code" at Cedar Street during the Buzz Out Loud/CHAOS Party - On Sunday night starting at 6:00 PM, find the secret code hidden inside the CHAOS-themed party, where CHAOS Executive Producer Brett Ratner and series stars Freddy Rodriguez and Tim Blake Nelson will be on hand to talk about the show. Scan the hidden QR code to complete your mission and collect free CHAOS shades as a reward. **Admission to the party is offered on first come, first served basis. For details and to pre-register, visit http://cnet.eventbrite.com/ (208 W 4th Street, Austin, TX 78701-3927)
· At any location - Enter for a chance to win a free iPad using the CBS "Rewards" tab on SCVNGR! Winners will be notified via e-mail.
"CBS is the first broadcast network to launch a campaign on SCVNGR, using the game layer SCVNGR has built to reach a whole new audience of prospective viewers and fans," Chris Mahl, SVP and Chief Brand Alchemist at SCVNGR. "SXSW(R) Interactive is the perfect chance to use game dynamics to tap into a group of hyper-connected people to build awareness and engagement around CHAOS, while having a great time visiting Austin in the process."
For more information on CHAOS, visit http://www.cbs.com/primetime/chaos/.
For more information on the campaign, visit www.scvngr.com/chaos.
SCVNGR is a game. Playing is simple: Go places. Have fun and share with your friends. Check-in, snap pics, do the social check-in or try a challenge! Everywhere you go, you'll earn points and start unlocking real-world rewards at over 12,000 locations (think free ice cream!). SCVNGR makes it easy to share where you are and what you're up to with your friends on SCVNGR, Facebook and Twitter. Start playing SCVNGR by downloading our free iPhone & Android app. SCVNGR is funded by Google Ventures and Highland Capital Partners. Visit www.scvngr.com to learn more.
CHAOS is a comedic drama about a group of rogue CIA spies in the Clandestine Administration and Oversight Services (CHAOS) who combat threats to national security amidst bureaucratic gridlock, rampant incompetence and political infighting. The team tackles high-risk foreign intelligence missions using manipulation, deception and wit to succeed. CHAOS stars Freddy Rodriguez, Eric Close, Tim Blake Nelson, James Murray, Carmen Ejogo, Christina Cole and Kurtwood Smith. It is produced by Twentieth Century Fox Television in association with CBS Television Studios. Tom Spezialy, Brett Ratner and Martha Haight are executive producers.