DILLON FRANCIS TO HEADLINE THE "MTV2 PARTY IN THE PARK" ON JULY 18 IN SAN DIEGO DURING "MTV GEEKEND" AT COMIC-CON
"MTV Geekend" Also Includes Hour-Long "Guy Code Honors" Special on July 21, with Vin Diesel to Present a Special Preview of "RIDDICK"
New Politics Also Slated to Perform at the First-Ever "MTV2 Party in the Park"
New York, NY (July 15, 2013) - MTV2 today announced that Dillon Francis will headline the first-ever "MTV2 Party in the Park" at San Diego's Petco Park during Comic-Con on Thursday, July 18, with New Politics also performing on the bill. Open to all Comic-Con badge holders, with doors opening at 7:00 p.m. PT, the "MTV2 Party in the Park" will celebrate the fans at Comic-Con, paying tribute to them and honoring them with access to the hottest live musical performances, along with free food and drinks.
The event is part of "MTV Geekend" at Comic-Con International that also includes and an-hour long "Guy Code Honors" special debuting on MTV and MTV2 on Sunday, July 21 at 8 p.m. ET/PT with: the cast of "Guy Code;" Vin Diesel from "RIDDICK;" Tyler Posey of "Teen Wolf;" and "True Blood" actor Rob Kazinsky (click here for a preview of the special). "Guy Code Honors" will also feature a special preview of "RIDDICK," exclusively for Comic-Con.
Throughout the weekend, MTV News will air daily live streams on MTV.com from Thursday through Sunday, starting at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT. MTV News' Josh Horowitz and MTV Geek's Steven Smith will anchor MTV's coverage, delivering hourly exclusive reveals of fans' favorite shows and most-anticipated movies as part of "MTV's Comic-Con Live." Additionally, MTV will host a Comic-Con panel with the cast of "Teen Wolf" on Thursday, July 18 in Ballroom 20 at 6:00 p.m. PT.
Dillon Francis has released music on the labels of Diplo, Skrillex, A-Trak and Calvin Harris, and he recently wrapped his first headlining world tour. His next single, "Without You" featuring Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, will be released in August through Diplo's Mad Decent label. His latest video, "Flight 4555" is sound tracked by an ambient turndown edit of his anthemic song "I.D.G.A.F.O.S." and will be available for purchase on July 16. Additionally, he has been a regular fixture on MTV CLUBLAND, and he is headlining the inaugural "MTV CLUBLAND Artist to Watch Presents" concert at New York's Highline Ballroom on July 15. Dillon has been praised by The New York Times and Pitchfork.
New Politics, the Brooklyn via Copenhagen based three-piece rock band, recently released their second album, A Bad Girl in Harlem, on RCA. It debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart and the album's first single, "Harlem," is a top five modern rock single. New Politics will be supporting the album on tour with 30 Seconds to Mars this fall. The band has appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" and "Conan."
The complete schedule for "MTV Geekend" on-air programming will include the following:
· "Guy Code Honors" (Airs Sunday, July 21, 8:00 p.m. ET/PT): The cast of MTV2's hit show "Guy Code," along with Vin Diesel of "Riddick," Tyler Posey of "Teen Wolf" and "True Blood" actor Rob Kazinsky geek out for one special night, saluting the best movies and TV shows that wowed the inner sci-fi, thriller and fantasy fans in all of us this past year, while looking ahead to the titles destined for greatness in the year to come. The hour-long special will feature performances, celebrity appearances and advance looks at major upcoming films, all while "Guy Code" cast favorites Jon Gabrus, Jordan Carlos, Damien Lemon and Chris Distefano break down which movies, shows, actors, heroes and heroines rocked the hardest.
· "MTV's Comic-Con Live!" (Thursday July 18 through Sunday, July 21): MTV News' Josh Horowitz and MTV Geek's Steven Smith will anchor MTV's live streaming coverage of Comic-Con all weekend long, delivering hourly exclusive reveals of fans' favorite shows and most-anticipated movies. "MTV's Comic-Con Live" will feature interviews with the biggest names in movies, TV, comics and video games, while including comprehensive reports from the panels, the floor, the pressrooms and the streets. The coverage starts on Thursday July 18 and leads into "Guy Code Honors" on Sunday night. "MTV's Comic-Con Live!" will be available on MTV.com, Ustream, GameTrailers' XBox and iOS apps, Comicbookmovie.com and Toplessrobot.com. Be sure to keep it locked to Comic-Con.MTV.com for the schedule and updates.
The complete schedule for on-the-ground events during "MTV Geekend" at Comic-Con will include the following:
· "Teen Wolf" Comic-Con Panel (Thursday, July 18 in Ballroom 20 at 6:00 p.m. PT): "Teen Wolf" cast members Tyler Posey, Dylan O'Brien, Tyler Hoechlin, Crystal Reed, Holland Roden, Daniel Sharman, Max Carver, Charlie Carver and Executive Producer Jeff Davis are taking Comic-Con by storm again, and giving fans an exclusive first-look at an all-new trailer, along with the latest scoop from season three during the Q&A session. Jarett Wieselman, Editorial Director of ET Online, will moderate the panel. The cast will also sign posters for fans at the FOX booth on Friday, July 19 from 11:15 a.m. PT to 12:00 p.m. PT. "Teen Wolf" airs Monday nights at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on MTV.
· "MTV2 Party in the Park" (Thursday, July 18, 7:00 p.m. PT): The first-ever "MTV2 Party in the Park" will celebrate the fans at Comic-Con, paying tribute to them and honoring them with access to the hottest live musical performances from Dillon Francis and New Politics, along with free food and drinks. Additionally, some cast members of "Teen Wolf" will be signing autographs for fans. It all takes place Thursday, July 18 at Petco Park from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. PT.
· "MTV Presents: Creator Pitch LIVE!" (Friday, July 19 in Room 28DE at 12:00 p.m. PT): Join MTV Comics Executive Editor Tom Akel for the 2nd annual "MTV Presents: Creator Pitch LIVE!," a live pitch competition between three of the top creators in the business. Last year's winner David Petersen (Creator of the Eisner-winning "Mouse Guard") will be back to defend his crown against Tony Lee ("Sherlock Holmes," "Dr. Who," "Starship Troopers") and Sanford Greene (Dark Horse Presents "Rotten Apple," "Batman," "Spider-Man Adventures"). Creators are presented with a topic just a few weeks out from the convention and then develop original pitches that the fans vote on to determine the winner!
· MTV Comics Premieres Graphic Novel "The Gloom": The first graphic novel from MTV Comics premieres at Comic-Con! From acclaimed writer Tony Lee ("Doctor Who," "Starship Troopers") and artist Dan Boultwood via Arcana Studios, comes the adventures of "The Gloom!" In 1940s Manhattan the vigilante The Gloom is America's last line of defense against the Nazis, classic pulp heroism, and common sense! Tony Lee will be signing copies of "The Gloom" at Arcana's booth #2415 on Friday from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
MTV will host a "Teen Wolf" press room at Comic-Con on Friday, July 19. For inclusion consideration, please contact Rayna Schwartz, Katie Magnotta and Lameka Lucas; contact details are below and exact details will be announced shortly.
MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand. With a global reach of more than a half-billion households, MTV is the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its Emmy(R), Grammy(R) and Peabody(R) award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile. MTV's sibling networks MTV2 and mtvU each deliver unparalleled customized content for young males, music fans and college students, and its online hub MTV.com is a leading destination for music, news and pop culture. MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms.
Available in approximately 80 million homes MTV2 is man's best friend. Since its launch in 1996, the network has reflected the subversive interests and behaviors of young men with a compelling and diverse programming line-up inspired by ordinary guys who do extraordinary things. MTV2 is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), one of the world's leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. For more information, go to www.mtvpress.com or follow us on Twitter @MTVPress.