[05/23/16 - 07:59 AM] Discovery Unveils New Seeker.com & Original Online Programming to Feed Bright, Curious Minds Seeker delivers more than 250 videos a month and connects with audiences through a top-notch roster of inspiring voices.
[via press release from Discovery]
Discovery Unveils New Seeker.com & Original Online Programming to Feed Bright, Curious Minds
Everyone wants to reach millennial audiences, but all 90M+ around the world aren't made from the same mold. Discovery Communications recognizes this and is relaunching its Seeker brand to reach and engage bright, curious millennial minds with entertaining and insightful content across digital platforms, including the all-new Seeker.com.
WATCH: Seeker On-Air Promo
Seeker delivers more than 250 videos a month and connects with audiences through a top-notch roster of inspiring voices, from homegrown talent Trace Dominguez (whose DNews reaches nearly 2M subs on YouTube alone) and Shots of Awe's Jason Silva to renowned journalist and recent Gracie Award winner Laura Ling. Seeker's content spans three core areas of focus - science, world and exploration, and content includes original short-form documentaries, live online events and social content reaching audiences at Seeker.com, as well as on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and beyond.
Seeker's premiere week features dozens of new episodes and special events, including:
Monday, May 23
· Taking a Tiny Home on the Road with Snowboarder Mike Basich: Laura Ling catches up with pro-snowboarder Basich and tours his tiny homemade mobile home - his second tiny home (with the first home captivating millions), taking him from the mountains to the coast and enabling a life of simplicity and joy.
· Could Alaska Be the New Center for Global Trade?: The Bering Strait is the fabled contact point that led early man from Asia to the Americas 13,000 years ago. Today, however, a warming climate is melting the narrow passage between Alaska and Russia, opening up new shipping routes and upending life for the traditional communities still living there. Join Seeker for a new look at the Strait and how it may change how humans move across the planet...yet again.
· Seeker Live Week - Svalbard Seed Vault: DNews host Trace Dominguez is on the ground in Norway visiting the Svalbard Seed Vault and will be streaming live on the Seeker Facebook page, answering questions after his visit to the vault, which represents world's largest collection of crop diversity.
Tuesday, May 24
· I Left My Law Career to Be a LEGO Artist: We've all dreamed about completely shifting gears professionally, and Nathan Sawaya completed one of the biggest 180s... trading litigation for LEGOs. Learn more about this artist and entrepreneur who turned his hobby into a successful business (and some pretty amazing creations).
· Seeker Live Week - Political Explainer: Primary season have you confused about the Electoral College and more? Join Seeker Daily's Jules Suzdaltsev at 12pm PT/3pm ET on Seeker's Facebook page for a fun an informative session to help sift through the political haze.
Wednesday, May 25
· Why Your Favorite Internet Memes Should Never Be Forgotten: Memes are central to Internet culture, but they existed long before the rise of social media. Seeker introduces you to Tumblr's Amanda Brennan, a real meme librarian, who shares how much memes have evolved over time and how they are changing the way we communicate.
· Seeker Live Week - Space Science: Join Discovery News space producer and astrophysicist Dr. Ian O'Neill as he answers your burning questions about space on Facebook.
Thursday, May 26
· The Woman Who Reinvented School to Combat Poverty: Dr. Tiffany Anderson wakes up every morning at 2am to commute four hours from her home in Kansas City to Jennings, Missouri - bordering Ferguson and facing many of the same problems. In three years as superintendent, she has transformed one of the worst performing systems in the state to one of the higher achieving districts with creative solutions. As she moves on to oversee Topeka Public Schools, join Anderson in this poignant interview with Seeker's Laura Ling.
· Seeker Live Week - Surfing Santa Cruz: Elite surfer Kyle Thiermann loves to catch a good wave, and you can start your day (and stay dry) with a live surfing session with him at 8:30am PT/11:30am ET... just hop on over to Facebook.com/SeekerNetwork.
Friday, May 27
· Seeker Live Week - In-Depth with Laura Ling: Join Laura Ling at 9am PT/12pm ET as she interviews Alexis Ohanian, Founder of San Francisco's Make School - an alternative college for computer science students. Ling & Ohanian will be joined by a student at the school and discuss learning by doing and how the Make community is working to make the world a better place.
... and this is just a sampling of what's planned this week and beyond. In the coming weeks, Seeker will continue to build on its successful DNews and Seeker Daily programs in addition to debuting new documentaries and series, as well as original virtual reality content and much more!
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the leader in global entertainment reaching 3 billion cumulative viewers in more than 220 countries and territories. Discovery satisfies curiosity, entertains and inspires viewers with high-quality content through global brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, and through the Discovery Digital Networks portfolio, including Seeker and SourceFed. Discovery owns Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe and Asia-Pacific. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.