ALL ABOARD WITH SCIENCE CHANNEL'S NEW SERIES "IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING: EXTREME RAILROADS" PREMIERING MAY 17
(New York) - Since their spectacular rise in the 19th century, railroads have been at the cutting edge of engineering and technology and that remains true, even today. IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING: EXTREME RAILROADS, premiering Thursday, May 17 at 10pm ET/PT, shines a light on the world's most extraordinary rail systems, including New York's Arthur Kill Vertical Lift Bridge, Japan's Bullet Train and California's Central Pacific Railroad.
IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING: EXTREME RAILROADS highlights the historic and modern breakthroughs of railroad production by telling the stories of bold pioneers and the science behind their incredible engineering feats. High-tech graphic animation will detail each transportation marvel and will look at the engineering challenges that each railway faces.
IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING: EXTREME RAILROADS explores:
· Incredible mountain railways that conquer vertiginous heights and offer breathtaking views, including Britain's Snowdon Mountain Railway and California's Central Pacific Railroad.
· The need for speed and impossibly fast bullet trains, including Italy's Red Arrow, New Mexico's Holloman High Speed Test Track, Japan's Shinkansen Bullet Train, and more.
· Astonishing railroads that connect urban jungles such as New York New Jersey Rail Car Float and Germany's Wuppertaler Schwebebahn.
· The world's most revolutionary rail bridges that pose some of the most difficult design challenges, including Staten Island's Arthur Kill Bridge and Scotland's Forth Bridge.
· Railways that venture into the wild and cross frozen landscapes, dense jungles, and other challenging terrains such as California's Goat Canyon Trestle and Thailand's Kanchanaburi Death Railway.
· Stunning tracks along waterways, such as Poland's Elblag Canal and Indian's Pamban Bridge.
IMPOSSIBLE ENGINEERING: EXTREME RAILROADS is produced for Science Channel by TwoFour Broadcast. For TwoFour, the executive producer is Neil Edwards. For Science Channel, Lindsey Foster-Blumberg is supervising producer and Vicky Bernal is associate producer.
About Science Channel:
Science Channel, a multi-media business unit of Discovery, Inc. is the home of all things science around the clock, including series such as MYTHBUSTERS, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE, WHAT ON EARTH?, HOW THE UNIVERSE WORKS, UNEARTHED, and MYSTERIES OF THE ABANDONED. Science Channel's programming also included timely, expert-driven specials covering breaking science news and discoveries. Science Channel is the premiere TV, digital and social community for those with a passion for science, space, technology, archeology, and engineering, providing immersive, engaging, high-quality entertainment across all Science Channel assets including: Science Channel television network, available in more than 63 million homes in the U.S; complimentary Video On Demand offering; SCI Go app allowing viewers to catch up on full episodes of their favorite shows anytime; deep video, interactive storytelling and virtual reality at www.sciencechannel.com; and conversations on Science Channel's popular social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat via @ScienceChannel.
Discovery, Inc. (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of superfans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains. Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages, Discovery is a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens, including TV Everywhere products such as the GO portfolio of apps and Discovery Kids Play; direct-to-consumer streaming services such as Eurosport Player and Motor Trend OnDemand; and digital-first and social content from Group Nine Media. Discovery's portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe. For more information, please visit www.corporate.discovery.com and follow @DiscoveryIncTV across social platforms.