IFC UNVEILS FIVE NEW SERIES IN DEVELOPMENT FOR SERIES CONTENTION
NEW YORK - October 30, 2018 - IFC today revealed five new 'slightly off' original comedies in development: Almost Asian, a series chronicling the life of a mixed-race millennial in Los Angeles; Annika Erotica, a series following a young Colorado pastor who harbors a secret passion for writing erotic novels under a pen name; Art Thieves, an adventure comedy following three misfit criminals who fancy themselves to be the Robin Hoods of the art world; Beth, a comedy about a happily-agoraphobic man and his uneasy journey back to the outside world; and the satirical and politically provocative sketch comedy The Middle Passage. The projects join the previously announced series in development How to Rig an Election and NGO.
· Almost Asian is a dark comedy about a perpetual outsider, Katie (Katie Malia, The Mindy Project), and her desperate journey to find her identity as both a dancer and a mixed-raced millennial struggling in Los Angeles. As with the web-series on which it's based, Malia stars and serves as executive producer. The series is also executive produced by Margaret Cho (30 Rock), Sarah Martin (Margaret Cho: PSYCHO), Jessie Boemper (Thugs, the Musical!) and Evan Shapiro (Please Like Me, Harmonquest).
· Produced by Funny or Die and Nate Dern (Comedy Central's Every Damn Day), Annika Erotica is a comedy series about Claire Radkowski, a sweet and simple Associate Junior Pastor whose life is turned upside down after her self-published erotic novel, written under the nom de plume "Annika Erotica," suddenly goes viral. With the help of her fame-obsessed best friend Jilly as well as Chaste Hymen, Claire's mentor in romance novel writing, Claire must choose between keeping her secret passion hidden from her conservative Colorado Springs community or finally living openly as her fullest (and potentially horniest) self.
· A true adventure comedy, Art Thieves follows three misfit master criminals who infiltrate the houses of the super-rich and attempt to steal their beloved masterpieces. The series is executive produced by Mitch Magee (Funny or Die Presents) and Daniel Powell (Inside Amy Schumer), head of the production company Irony Point.
· Beth is a comedy series about an agoraphobic man who, though happy with his current lifestyle, is thrust out of his comfort zone and back into the outside world after a long time ex-girlfriend contacts him out of the blue. Beth is executive produced by Timm Sharp (Blunt Talk, Enlightened), Jonathan Ames (Bored to Death, Blunt Talk) and Lighthouse Management & Media.
· Co-executive produced by Jonathan Braylock (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), James Carr (TripTank), James III (Adam Ruins Everything) and Jerah Milligan (Broad City), The Middle Passage is an original comedy series satirizing America's racial and sociopolitical climate through long-form narrative sketches. The series provides thought-provoking and comical commentary on today's cultural landscape and touches on a variety of social issues through a blend of mystery, sci-fi, thriller, horror and fantasy sketches. The series is produced by Big Breakfast, an Electus company, with Jillian Vogel (I Want My Phone Back), Luke Kelly-Clyne (Hot Date) and Drew Buckley (Running Wild with Bear Grylls) serving as executive producers.
IFC's recently greenlit two new series Sherman's Showcase and Year of the Rabbit, both heading into production in early 2019 and set to air on the network later in the year. The two series will join IFC's current lineup which includes the upcoming third season of the Emmy-nominated original comedy Documentary Now!, returning February 20, 2019; the third season of the horror-comedy series Stan Against Evil, premiering October 31; the all-female sketch comedy Baroness von Sketch Show, returning for Season 3 on November 8; and the third season of the critically-acclaimed sports comedy Brockmire, returning to air in spring 2019.
For continued IFC updates, please check out:
Art is available at press.ifc.com
IFC is the home of offbeat, unexpected comedies. Series Brockmire, Stan Against Evil, Baroness von Sketch Show and Documentary Now! air alongside fan-favorite movies and comedic cult TV shows. IFC is owned and operated by AMC Networks Inc., and available across multiple platforms. IFC is Always On, Slightly Off.