USA NETWORK AND SYFY PARTNER WITH GLAAD TO CELEBRATE NATIONAL PRIDE MONTH THIS JUNE
Networks to Feature Pride-Themed Marathons, Fresh Original Content, PSAs,
Custom Editorial and More
NEW YORK, NY -- May 27, 2020 - In celebration of National Pride Month this June, USA Network and SYFY are partnering with the leading non-profit LGBTQ+ advocacy organization, GLAAD, for a multiplatform campaign spotlighting positive representation all month long. Between the two networks, this campaign will feature Pride-themed marathons, custom short-form videos, fan testimonials, PSAs, all-new podcast episodes and a variety of fresh editorial.
Throughout the month, GLAAD will support USA and SYFY's multiplatform Pride campaign via their social handles, across digital platforms and with PSAs featuring resource and donation links. Additionally, on USA, linear marathons will be wrapped with custom content featuring BD Wong. The networks will also partner with GLAAD on a variety of virtual talent-driven events and social initiatives to be announced shortly.
"During a time when many Pride events have been cancelled, SYFY and USA are offering viewers a place to celebrate and feel celebrated with specialty content in honor of National Pride Month," shared Chris McCumber, President, USA and SYFY. "We are so grateful for GLAAD's partnership and advocacy towards positive representation, and look forward to joining together to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community throughout June."
"SYFY and USA each have long histories of sharing LGBTQ stories that entertain, enlighten, and inspire and this Pride month will bring empowering content and series to fans all over," said GLAAD Chief Communications Officer Rich Ferraro. "During a Pride month when many LGBTQ community members will not be able to gather in-person, LGBTQ visibility matters more than ever and SYFY and USA's content will help to ensure the spirit of Pride still shines bright."
Presented by SYFY FANGRRLS - the network's hub for female and nonbinary voices - SYFY's Pride campaign will revamp the brand from "It's a Fan Thing" to "It's a Pride Thing" throughout June, including:
MARATHONS, ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING & BINGE-ABLE CONTENT
This June, SYFY offers marathons, stunts and endless access to queer-friendly programming across linear and VOD, including:
· WYNONNA EARP "#WayHaught Wednesdays" Marathons (Wed., 6/3 from 6-9am, Wed., 6/10 from 6:30-9:30am, Wed., 6/17 from 6:30-9:30am, Wed., 6/24 from 6-10am on SYFY) -- Marathons of SYFY's cult favorite series WYNONNA EARP featuring episodes from Seasons 1 and 2 centered on the show's beloved couple Waverly Earp (Dominique Provost-Chalkley) and Nicole Haught (Katherine Barrell); will include all-new custom content highlighting the passionate "Earpers" fanbase discussing how the show has impacted their lives
· XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS Pride Marathons (Thurs., 6/4 from 6:30-11:30am, Thurs., 6/11 from 6am-12pm, Thurs., 6/18 from 6:30am-12:30pm, Thurs., 6/25 from 6:30-11:30am on SYFY) -- Marathons of the legendary adventure series XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS, which has become an iconic show among the LGBTQ+ community; will include all-new custom content featuring stars Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor discussing representation as well as spotlighting fans who have been influenced by the series
PROMO FEATURING RENEE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF6NKuKvfVY&feature=youtu.be
· VAGRANT QUEEN Season Finale (Thursday, 6/4 at 11/10c on SYFY) -- Based on the comic book series from Vault Comics, VAGRANT QUEEN was created by an all-female team of writers and directors, and will air its Season 1 finale in National Pride Month
· Binge-able Content (Available on SYFY.com and NBCU's OneApp) -- All June, SYFY will stream fan-favorites including: KILLJOYS, VAGRANT QUEEN, VAN HELSING, XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS, and the SYFY WIRE acquisition LOOKING FOR LEIA
SYFY LOGO & CUSTOM CONTENT
Throughout National Pride Month, SYFY is transforming its logo and creating custom on-air content celebrating the LGBTQ+ community, including:
· Pride-Themed Logo -- Celebratory SYFY logos that will be presented across platforms throughout the month
· Brand Anthem Video -- Overarching brand spot featuring fans discussing the importance of representation and inclusivity
· "Pride Burst" Factoids -- Fueled by SYFY FANGRRLS' Pride editorial, these quick bites will contain interesting facts about genre and LGBTQ+ representation
· Strong Female Pride Interstitials -- In support of the SYFY FANGRRLS podcast of the same name, these short-form testimonials will spotlight LGBTQ+ creators discussing the impact genre characters have had on them and their community
· Fan-Made Pride Spots -- Fan-made Pride vignettes made in partnership with content creation platform Tongal
SYFY FANGRRLS EDITORIAL & PODCAST
SYFY FANGRRLS' website will become a hub for fresh Pride-centric content all month long, including:
· "Strong Female Characters: Uncoded" Podcast -- Throughout National Pride Month, SYFY FANGRRLS will air special renditions of this podcast, profiling LGBTQ+ creators and fans as they discuss which genre characters and storylines impacted them most as a queer person
· Get Rec'd -- SYFY FANGRRLS' special recommendation lists of books, comics and movies from notable genre influencers centered around LGBTQ+ creators, characters or stories
· Grrl Talk -- A weekly editorial feature that will spotlight notable queer "Nerdgrrls" and hear what she has been inspired by in the genre world
· Reboot, Remake it Gay You Cowards, Ruin -- A pointed twist to everyone's favorite "Reboot, Remake or Ruin" game, this column will feature FANGRRL contributors discussing popular film and TV series that should or should not be recreated from a LGBTQ+ lens
· Frak, Marry, Kill -- A sci-fi-rendition of the party favorite, each week three LGBTQ+ FANGRRLS writers will debate queer characters from different genre properties
· Deep Cuts -- Weekly in-depth discussion hosted by FANGRRLS' film buffs focusing on niche or unknown horror films that were queer made or led, and are typically not on people's radar
· Star Signs -- A special Pride edition of the monthly article where FANGRRLS' very own astrological "enthusiasts" speculate what the stars have in store for fan-favorite LGBTQ+ genre characters
· Thirstday -- Every Thursday a FANGRRLS LGBTQ+ writer will write an appreciation post about a different LGBTQ+ character or genre person, celebrating their status as a gay icon/crush
· A Deep Dive into the History Slash Fiction -- This subgenre of fan fiction has played an important role in LGBTQ+ pop culture since the '70s. FANGRRLS looks back at its roots, how the birth of the internet created a safe space for queer expression, and how it's grown as a medium in the last five decades
· History of Gay Comix - FANGRRLS will look back at the groundbreaking Gay Comix anthology, which is one of the most notable underground gay comic anthology series
· Pride-ography Mini biographical pieces celebrating the original LGBTQ+ creators in comics that helped pave the way for creators, stories, and characters within their community from the underground scene into the mainstream
This National Pride Month, USA will celebrate with specially curated marathons and custom wraps throughout June, including:
MARATHONS & ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING
USA will be offering LGBTQ+ themed linear stunts, including:
· LAW & ORDER: SVU "Stand Up with Pride" Marathon Hosted by BD Wong (Sunday, 6/7 from 9am-11pm on USA) - Specially curated marathon of the fan-favorite crime drama featuring impactful LGBTQ+ storylines; will be hosted by BD Wong, and include custom wraps and resource pages from GLAAD throughout
· MODERN FAMILY Marathons (All month long on USA) -- Jam-packed marathons of the fan-favorite family comedy series that broke down barriers for LGBTQ+ representation. Themes include "Love is Love," "Here Come the Grooms," "My Two Dads," and more; will feature resource pages from GLAAD throughout
· TALK STOOP Pride Week Interviews (Pride-themed interviews will run Monday, 6/1-Friday, 6/5 throughout the day from 11am-3pm on USA; will also be available on YouTube all month long) -- TALK STOOP will be celebrating National Pride Month by airing Pride-themed short-form interviews hosted by Nessa Diab throughout the first week of June. These interviews will include Carson Kressley, Gigi Gorgeous, Wanda Sykes, Natalie Morales, Cynthia Germanotta, Jonathan Adler and Simon Doonan, and will focus on advocating for equality and celebrating members of the LGBTQ+ community
USA CUSTOM LOGOS
The network will feature custom logos and PSAs throughout the month, including:
· Pride Network Logo -- Custom Pride logo that will be presented across platforms throughout the month
SYFY is a global, multiplatform media brand that gives science fiction fans of all kinds a universe to call home. Celebrating the genre in all its forms, SYFY super-serves passionate fans with original science fiction, fantasy, paranormal and superhero programming, live event coverage and imaginative digital and social content. The brand is powered by SYFY WIRE (www.syfy.com), the premier portal for breaking genre news, insight and commentary. SYFY is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
About USA Network:
USA Network has been a #1 cable entertainment network for 14 years, and is home to the most compelling television properties in the industry. Serving a broad, passionate fanbase, USA's diverse slate includes popular award-winning dramas, unfiltered family comedies, buzzy unscripted, weekly live WWE programming, and a portfolio of sought-after acquired series and movies. USA is part of NBCUniversal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love. For more information, visit www.glaad.org.