Prime Video Announces Thrilling New Drama Series "The Consultant" Starring Academy Award-Winner Christoph Waltz
"The Consultant," from MGM Television and Amazon Studios, will premiere exclusively on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide
CULVER CITY, California - Nov. 18, 2021¬ - Two-time Academy Award-winner Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds) will star in the tense new Amazon Original drama series The Consultant, from MGM Television and Amazon Studios. The Consultant will premiere exclusively on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide. Tony Basgallop (Servant) is the creator and will serve as showrunner and executive producer, and Matt Shakman (WandaVision) is the director and executive producer. Waltz also serves as executive producer.
The Consultant is a darkly comedic workplace thriller that explores the sinister relationship between boss and employee, asking how far we will go to get ahead, and to survive. Inspired by Bentley Little's 2015 novel, Basgallop, Shakman, Waltz, Steve Stark, and Andrew Mittman are executive producers, and Kai Dolbashian will serve as co-producer. The Consultant is from MGM Television and Amazon Studios.
"It's a huge honor to be working with the talents of Matt Shakman and Christoph Waltz on this project that I developed with the team at 1.21 and Toluca Pictures," said Basgallop. "And with MGM and Amazon Studios we've found partners who are not afraid to be bold and explosive."
"With The Consultant, Tony Basgallop has created something fearless with equal parts savage humor and delicious thrills," said Vernon Sanders, head of television at Amazon Studios. "We are excited to collaborate with him and the entire creative team in bringing this edge-of-your seat, can't-miss series to our Prime Video customers across the globe."
"The Consultant is a biting workplace satire that is as suspenseful as it is darkly funny," said Michael Wright, president of scripted TV at MGM. "Tony has created something truly unexpected with this series, and we are thrilled to partner with Amazon and this brilliant creative team to bring the story to life for audiences around the world."
Waltz received the Academy, SAG, BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Cannes Film Festival Awards for his portrayal of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa in Quentin Tarantino's film Inglourious Basterds. Waltz won his second Academy Award for his performance in Tarantino's Django Unchained. The role of Dr. King Schultz also garnered him Best Supporting Actor honors at the 2013 Golden Globe and BAFTA Awards. On December 1, 2014, Waltz was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
This year, Waltz was seen in Wes Anderson's film The French Dispatch, and also reprised the role of Blofeld in the highly anticipated James Bond film No Time to Die. In 2020, Waltz received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination for his performance in Quibi's Most Dangerous Game. Other notable work includes his performances in Alita: Battle Angel, Downsizing, The Legend of Tarzan, Spectre, Big Eyes, The Zero Theorem, Carnage, and Water for Elephants.
In 2013, Waltz directed the Richard Strauss opera Der Rosenkavalier. His production premiered in December 2013 at the Vlaamse Opera in Antwerp, Belgium, with musical direction by Dmitri Jurowski and Philipp Pointner. In 2017, Waltz directed Giuseppe Verdi's Falstaff, also with the Vlaamse Opera.
Matt Shakman is a multiple Emmy Award-nominee for the series WandaVision and The Great, which he both executive produced and directed. He was also nominated for a DGA Award for his episode of Game of Thrones. Shakman is set to direct the next Star Trek movie for Paramount Pictures and currently serves as the artistic director of the Geffen Playhouse.
Tony Basgallop is the creator of the series Servant for Apple+. He also created and executive-produced the hit BBC series Inside Men and Hotel Babylon.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of movies, series, and sports - all available to watch on hundreds of compatible devices.
· Included with Prime Video: Watch movies, series and sports, including Thursday Night Football. Enjoy series and films including the newly released Cinderella, the Emmy Award-nominated satirical superhero drama The Boys, limited series The Underground Railroad, and the films Sylvie's Love and Uncle Frank; and the smash hits Coming 2 America, Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, The Tomorrow War, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Upload, and My Spy, as well as Emmy- and Golden Globe-winners Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Golden Globe-winner Small Axe, Academy Award-winner Sound of Metal, Golden Globe-winner and Academy Award-nominee Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, and Academy Award-nominees One Night in Miami... and Time. Prime members also get access to licensed content.
· Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like discovery+, Paramount+, BET+, EPIX, Noggin, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, STARZ, and SHOWTIME - no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
· Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, and special deals just for Prime members.
· Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV.
· Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many shopping and entertainment benefits included with a Prime membership, along with fast, free shipping on millions of Prime-eligible items at Amazon.com, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, and access to ad-free music and Kindle eBooks. To sign up or start a 30-day free trial of Prime, visit: amazon.com/prime.
About Metro Goldwyn Mayer:
Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) is a leading entertainment company focused on the production and global distribution of film and television content across all platforms. The company owns one of the world's deepest libraries of premium film and television content as well as the premium pay television network EPIX, which is available throughout the U.S. via cable, satellite, telco, and digital distributors. In addition, MGM has investments in numerous other television channels, digital platforms, interactive ventures, and is producing premium short-form content for distribution. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.