Noah Jupe to star alongside multi-award winner Michael Douglas in Apple Original Benjamin Franklin limited event series, with principal photography under way in Versailles
Apple TV+ rounds out cast for highly anticipated new drama from Emmy Award winning writer Kirk Ellis and director Tim Van Patten, and executive producers Tony Krantz and Richard Plepler
Apple TV+ today announced the start of production on its new limited event series from Emmy and WGA Award-winning writer Kirk Ellis ("John Adams") and Emmy and DGA Award-winning director Tim Van Patten. Based on the book "A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France, and the Birth of America" by Pulitzer Prize winner Stacy Schiff, the series stars Academy, Emmy and AFI Lifetime Achievement Award-winner Michael Douglas in the lead role as 'Benjamin Franklin.'
Noah Jupe ("Honey Boy," "A Quiet Place") is set to star alongside Douglas in the role of 'Temple Franklin.' Additional stars rounding out the ensemble cast are:
· Ludivine Sagnier ("Lupin") as 'Madame Brillon.'
· Thibault de Montalembert ("Call My Agent!," "The Tunnel") as 'Vergennes.'
· BAFTA Award-nominee Daniel Mays ("Des," "Rogue One," "Line of Duty") as 'Edward Bancroft.'
· Assaad Bouab ("Call My Agent!," "The Pursuit of Love", "Bad Sisters") as 'Beacumarchais.'
· Eddie Marsan ("Ray Donovan") as 'John Adams.'
· Jeanne Balibar ("Irma Vep," "Cold War") as 'Helvetius.'
· Theodore Pellerin ("There's Someone Inside Your House," "On Becoming a God in Central Florida") as 'Lafayette.'
The eight-episode drama explores the thrilling story of one of the greatest gambles of Benjamin Franklin's career. At age 70, without any diplomatic training, Franklin convinced France - an absolute monarchy - to underwrite America's experiment in democracy. By virtue of his fame, charisma, and ingenuity, Franklin outmaneuvered British spies, French informers, and hostile colleagues, all while engineering the Franco-American alliance of 1778 and the final peace with England of l783. The eight-year French mission stands as Franklin's most vital service to his country, without which America would not have won the Revolution.
The limited event series is a co-production between ITV Studios America and Apple Studios and is written and executive produced by Kirk Ellis, and directed by Tim Van Patten, who will serve as executive producer alongside Michael Douglas, Richard Plepler through EDEN productions, and Tony Krantz through Flame Ventures. Philippe Maigret, Mark Mostyn and Howard Korder also serve as executive producers. Stacy Schiff serves as co-executive producer.
Apple TV+ is available on the Apple TV app in over 100 countries and regions, on over 1 billion screens, including iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, popular smart TVs from Samsung, LG, Sony, VIZIO, TCL and others, Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices, Chromecast with Google TV, PlayStation and Xbox gaming consoles, and at tv.apple.com, for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial. For a limited time, customers who purchase and activate a new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch can enjoy three months of Apple TV+ for free.
· Jupe is repped by Grandview, CAA, The Artist Partnership and attorneys Steve Warren and Dan Fox
· Sagnier is repped by Gregory Weill / Agence Adequat
· de Montalembert is repped by Gregory Weill / Agence Adequat
· Mays is repped by Curtis Brown UK.
· Bouab is repped by Florence Charmasson / Alternative Agency and Charles Collier and Bella Wingfield/ Tavistock Wood.
· Marsan is repped by Alex Irwin at Markham, Froggatt & Irwin and UTA.
· Balibar is repped by Gregory Weill / Agence Adequat
· Pellerin is repped by ICM.