Quick Take for Monday, January 5, 2009
(Fast Affiliate Live + Same Day Ratings)
ABC's Monday Premieres Beats CBS by 15% and NBC by 24% in Adults 18-49 and Rank No. 1 on the Night Across All Key Women Demos
"The Bachelor" Beats NBC's "Superstars of Dance" by 15% in Adults 18-49, While Leading its 2-Hour Time and Ranking as the No. 1 Show on Monday in Key Women
"True Beauty" Builds on its Lead-in, is the No.1 Series Telecast at 10pm, and Earns ABC's Highest Ratings in the Hour in 6 Months Among Adults 18-34 and Adults 18-49
Monday Night (8:00-11:00 p.m.)
With its premieres of "The Bachelor" and "True Beauty," ABC took second place on Monday in Adults 18-49 (3.1/8) to Fox's Fiesta Bowl coverage, beating third-place CBS by 15% (2.7/7) and fourth-place NBC by 24% (2.5/6). The Net ranked No. 1 on the night across all key women: Women 18-34 (4.3/11), Women 18-49 (4.5/11) and Women 25-54 (4.8/11).
* ABC's drew its top-rated Monday in 6 weeks in Adults 18-49 (3.1/8) - since 11/24/08. In addition, the Net matched its highest-rated Monday of the season with Adults 18-34 (3.0/8).
"The Bachelor" (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
Ranking No. 2 from 8-10pm behind only Fox's Fiesta Bowl game among Adults 18-49, ABC's "The Bachelor" outperformed NBC's "Superstars of Dance" Monday premiere by 15% in the key young adult sales demo (3.1/8 vs. 2.7/7) head to head in the 2-hour time slot. "The Bachelor" dominated its time period and ranked as Monday's No. 1 TV program among Women 18-34 (4.4/11) and Women 18-49 (4.6/11).
* Against stiff competition, "The Bachelor" gained audience during each half-hour from 8-10pm, building by 1.3 million viewers (8.1 million to 9.4 million) and by 21% in Adults 18-49 (2.8/7 to 3.4/8) from start to finish.
* Versus its most comparable recent premiere, in January '06 (1/9/06) at 10pm, The Bachelor was up by 1.5 million viewers (8.7 million vs. 6.2 million) and by 15% in Adults 18-49 (3.1/8 vs. 2.7/7).
Please Note: Normally premiering during the springtime and at a later hour, it was "The Bachelor's" earliest-ever season opener - in terms of both time of year and time of day. Last year, "The Bachelor" premiered coming out of "Dancing with the Stars" on 3/17/08 at 9:30pm.
"True Beauty" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Proving itself to be a highly compatible addition to ABC's Monday lineup with strong retention of its lead-in, the series debut of "True Beauty" ranked as the No. 1 series in the 10pm hour among young adults (Adults 18-49 = 3.2/8 and Adults 18-34 = 3.1/9). The new ABC unscripted series towered above its unscripted competition in the 10 o'clock hour, beating NBC's "Momma's Boys" by 2.3 million viewers (7.6 million vs. 5.3 million) and by 60% in Adults 18-49 (3.2/8 vs. 2.0/5). Versus its lead-in from "The Bachelor," "True Beauty" grew by 3% in both Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. In fact on its debut airing, "True Beauty" emerged as Monday's No. 1 TV series in Adults 18-34.
* The premiere of "True Beauty" generated ABC's best young adult numbers (AD18-49/AD18-34) in the Monday 10pm hour in 6 months - since 7/7/08 with the season finale of "The Bachelorette."
* Ranked against all new series debuts on the broadcast nets this TV Season, "True Beauty" is No. 2 in Adults 18-34 (3.1/9) and stands as the No. 1 new show opener of the season with Women 18-34 (4.1/11).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 29% currently, from 22% at the same point in 2008. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (National, Live + Same Day Program Ratings), 1/5/09.