Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of July 6, 2009
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
ABC is the Only Net with Week-to-Week Gains in Viewers and Adults 18-49
ABC Claims 4 of the Top 15 TV Programs During the Week in Adults 18-49, With ABC News' "Primetime: Family Secrets" the Week's No. 1 Newsmagazine
ABC's is No. 1 on Monday Night Among Adults 18-49
And Adults 18-34 for the 2nd Week in a Row
Making ABC the Most-Watched Net from 8-10p for the 3rd Straight Week,
ABC's "The Bachelorette" Wins its Slot in Key Adults for the 4th Time in 5 Weeks
"Here Come the Newlyweds" Wins at 10pm in Key Women,
Taking the Top Spot in Women 18-34 for the 5th Time in 6 Weeks
ABC Takes Second on Tuesday with Adults 18-49, Posting
Its Strongest Non-Sports Numbers on the Night This Summer
ABC's "Superstars" Finishes No. 2 from 8-9pm in Adults 18-49, Growing
Week to Week in Viewers, Adults 18-49, Key Women and Men 18-34
A Special "20/20" Attracts ABC's Biggest Non-Sports
Summer Audience in Tuesday's 9pm Hour Since Last July
Posting its Second Strongest Wednesday of the Summer,
ABC is Up Year to Year on the Night for the 5th Week in a Row
The Most-Watched TV Show in its Slot, "Wipeout" Finishes No. 1 in the 8pm Hour
For the 4th Week Running and Grows its Audience for the 2nd Straight Week
Jumping from its Week-Ago Season Opener, "Primetime: Crime" is No. 1 at 10pm
In Key Adults, Marking the Net's Top Summer Numbers in the Slot Since Last July
WEEK No. 42:
Standing as the only broadcast network to show week-to-week increases in both viewers and young adults, ABC's primetime results were up over the prior week by 16% in Total Viewers (4.3 million vs. 3.7 million) and by 18% in Adults 18-49 (1.3/4 vs. 1.1/4).
Rankings: ABC owned 4 of the Top 15 TV programs of the week in Adults 18-49: "Wipeout" - No. 3, "Primetime: Family Secrets" and "The Bachelorette" - tied at No. 8 and "Primetime: Crime" - No. 13. ABC News' "Primetime Family Secrets" stood as TV's top-rated newsmagazine for the week in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54. It was the 2nd time in 3 weeks that ABC News claimed the No. 1 newsmagazine for the week in both key Adult demos.
ABC won Monday in Adults 18-49 (2.3/7) and Adults 18-34 (2.0/7), ranking No. 1 on the night for the 2nd week in a row in both young adult demographics.
"The Bachelorette" (8:00-10:02 p.m.)
Making ABC the most-watched Network in the 2-hour time period for the 3rd week running (7.7 million), "The Bachelorette" also won its time-slot among Adults 18-49 (2.6/8) and Adults 18-34 (2.3/8). In fact, "The Bachelorette" took the No. 1 position in both young adult demos for the 4th time in the last 5 weeks.
* "The Bachelorette" qualified as Monday's No. 1 program among Adults 18-34 (2.3/8), Women 18-34 (3.4/11) and Women 18-49 (3.9/11) for the 4th time in its last 5 telecasts.
"Here Come the Newlyweds" (10:02-11:00 p.m.)
The season's penultimate episode of ABC's "Here Come the Newlyweds" won the 10 o'clock hour among Women 18-34 (2.3/7) and Women 18-49 (2.4/7). In fact, the unscripted ABC series topped its time period among Women 18-34 for the 2nd consecutive week and for the 5th time in the last 6 weeks.
ABC earned second place on Tuesday night among Adults 18-49, turning in its strongest non-sports numbers on the night this summer with viewers (6.2 million) and young adults (1.9/6).
"Superstars" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
ABC's "Superstars" earned second place in the 8 o'clock hour among Adults 18-49 (1.4/5-tie) and key Men (M18-49 - 1.2/4 and M25-54 - 1.5/5), beating NBC's series debut of "Great American Road Trip" on all three counts.
* "Superstars" was up week to week in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49, key Women (W18-49/W25-54) and Men 18-34.
"A Special Edition of 20/20: Remembering Michael Jackson" (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
Building on its lead-in at 9:00 p.m. against NBC's "America's Got Talent," ABC News' "20/20" special attracted the Network's biggest non-sports summer audience (5.7 million) in the time period since last July and its top young adult number (1.8/5) since last August - since 7/29/08 and 8/5/08, respectively.
"Primetime Family Secrets: The Children of Michael Jackson" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
ABC News' "Primetime Family Secrets" jumped up into the No. 1 position at 10:00 p.m., beating out second-place NBC's "Dateline" in the hour by 2.4 million viewers (8.7 million vs. 6.3 million) and by 13% in Adults 18-49 (2.6/7 vs. 2.3/7). The program focused on Michael Jackson's children, including a rarely seen interview with Debbie Rowe, his ex-wife. "Primetime" stood as the No. 2 TV show of the night in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54, trailing only NBC's "America's Got Talent" in the 9 o'clock hour.
* In Total Viewers and key Adults (AD18-49/AD25-54), "Primetime: Family Secrets" generated ABC's top non-sports summer numbers in the time period in more than 2 years - since 5/29/07.
* Growing its overall audience for the 2nd straight week, the "Primetime: Family Secrets" numbers shot up week to week by 5.1 million viewers and by 189% in Adults 18-49 (3.6 million and 0.9/3 on 6/30/09). In fact the third-year ABC News program hit series-high numbers on both Nielsen measures.
Turning in its second-strongest numbers on the evening this summer, ABC placed No. 2 on Wednesday among young Adults (AD18-34=1.7/6 and AD18-49=2.1/7-tie) and finished No. 1 with Men 18-49 (1.8/6-tie). ABC was also the highest-rated broadcaster on the night with Teens 12-17 (1.4/6) and Kids 2-11 (1.5/6).
* Jumping from the year-ago night (7/9/08) by 1.4 million viewers (6.1 million vs. 4.7 million) and by 40% in Adults 18-49 (2.1/7 vs. 1.5/5), ABC increased its Wednesday results year to year for the 5th week in a row.
"Wipeout" (8:00-9:02 p.m.)
Qualifying as the most-watched TV show in its time period by a margin of 11% over second-place Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" (8.2 million vs. 7.4 million), ABC's "Wipeout" ranked No. 1 during Wednesday's 8 o'clock hour for the 4th week running. "Wipeout" also delivered the No. 1 position in the hour with Adults 18-49 (2.9/10), and for the 7th straight week (every telecast this summer) the ABC unscripted series won its time slot across all key Men demos (M18-34 - 2.0/9, M18-49 - 2.6/10 and M25-54 - 3.1/10).
* "Wipeout" registered as Wednesday's No. 2 TV program in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 (tie), behind only "America's Got Talent" (9:00-10:00 p.m.). It stood as the No. 1 TV show of the evening with Men 18-49 (tie) and Men 18-34 for the 5th time in 6 telecasts.
* Gaining overall audience for the 2nd week in a row, "Wipeout" increased its numbers over the prior week in Total Viewers and across all key Adult demos (AD18-34/AD18-49/AD25-54).
"I Survived a Japanese Game Show" (9:02-10:00 p.m.)
During the 9 o'clock hour, ABC's "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" grew its numbers week to week in Total Viewers (+11% - 3.9 million vs. 3.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (+8% - 1.4/4 vs. 1.3/4).
"Primetime: Crime" (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Building on its lead-in, ABC News' "Primetime: Crime" won the 10 o'clock hour in Adults 18-49 (2.0/6) and Adults 25-54 (2.4/6). In fact the ABC newsmagazine overshadowed its original competition in the time slot, beating NBC's "The Philanthropist" by 1.0 million viewers (6.1 million vs. 5.1 million) and by 43% in Adults 18-49 (2.0/6 vs. 1.4/4).
* "Primetime: Crime" saw its numbers jump sharply from its week-earlier season premiere, gaining 1.5 million viewers, 43% in Adults 18-49 and 41% in Adults 25-54 (7/1/09 = 4.6 million, 1.4/4 and 1.7/5). In fact on all three Nielsen measures, the ABC newsmagazine turned in the Network's strongest summer numbers in the hour since last July - since 7/30/08 in Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 and since 7/23/08 in Adults 18-49.
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 32% currently, from 25% at the same point in 2008. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: Nielsen Media Research (National Live+Same Day Program Ratings), week of 7/6/09, unless stated otherwise.