L+7 Ratings: ABC's "Modern Family" Surges Ahead of "The Voice," "Idol" and "Big Bang" to Rank as the Week's #1 Series
Live + 7 Day Ratings for the week of 2/6/12 (Week #21):
Based on the Live + 7 Day ratings, ABC's Modern Family emerged as TV's definitive #1 series of the week in Adults 18-49 (8.2 rating), leading NBC's Super Bowl-fueled 2-hour Monday premiere of The Voice by 6% (7.7) and Fox's American Idol-Weds (7.2) and American Idol-Thurs (6.9) by 14% and 19%, respectively. In addition, the ABC sitcom surged ahead of CBS' The Big Bang Theory in the Live + 7 Day numbers, overshadowing the CBS sitcom by nearly a full Adult 18-49 rating point (+0.8 - 8.2 vs. 7.4). Initially in the Live + Same Day statistics, Modern Family ranked as TV's #5 series of the week in the young adult demo, behind The Voice, both editions of American Idol and The Big Bang Theory.
ABC's Grey's Anatomy emerged as the #1 broadcast drama of the week in Adults 18-49 (5.6), leapfrogging over CBS' NCIS (5.4) to lead by two-tenths of a rating point. In the originally reported Live + Same Day statistics, the CBS program was TV's #1 broadcast drama and led the ABC program by a margin of two-tenths of a rating point.
· Based on Nielsen's DVR playback data for the week, Modern Family registered as the biggest gainer via time-shifted viewing in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 for its 12th straight original telecast, adding on 5.17 million viewers and 2.7 rating points to its originally reported Live + Same Day numbers. In fact, this week marked Modern Family's 2nd original telecast in a row to post a record-setting gain of 2.7 rating points.
· ABC also claimed the two biggest new drama gainers with Once Upon a Time (4.3 rating) and Revenge (3.8). The Disney-owned dramas each picked up 1.3 rating points in the Live + 7 Day numbers, topping the time-shifted viewing increase of NBC's debut of Smash (+1.2 rating points).
· Among Adults 18-49, ABC delivered 5 of the Top 10 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing, with each show picking up at least 1.2 rating points over their first-reported Live + Same Day numbers: Modern Family (+2.7 rating - 5.5 to 8.2), Grey's Anatomy (+1.6 rating - 4.0 to 5.6), Once Upon a Time (+1.3 rating - 3.0 to 4.3), Revenge (+1.3 rating - 2.5 to 3.8) and Private Practice (+1.2 rating - 2.2 to 3.4).
· Impressively, ABC had 8 shows gain more than 2 million viewers from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing: Modern Family (+5.17 million), Grey's Anatomy (+3.35 million), Castle (+3.15 million), Once Upon a Time (+2.99 million), Revenge (+2.84 million), Private Practice (+2.36 million), Desperate Housewives (+2.24 million) and The River (+2.19 million).
Season-to-Date DVR Playback (9/19/11-2/12/12):
On average for the 2011-12 season, ABC's Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy are the season's Top 2 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing among Adults 18-49 (picking up 2.4 rating points and 1.6 rating points, respectively), while the ABC sitcom is the season's biggest overall gainer among Total Viewers (+4.79 million).
· With Modern Family (8.0 rating) and Grey's Anatomy (5.4), ABC claims this season's #1 scripted series/comedy and #1 drama, respectively, in the key young adult demo based on original telecasts.
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on original, regular telecasts only.