Ratings Highlights for Monday, March 19, 2012 - National Ratings
The "Pretty Little Liars" "unmasked" Season 2 Finale is "A" Mazing;
Generates the Most Social Media Buzz of Any Regularly
Scheduled TV Series in the History of Television
~Is ABC Family's #1 Telecast Ever in Women 18-34; Levies Series Highs in Target 18-34 and 18-49 Demographics; Is Monday's #1 TV Telecast in
Females 12-34 and the #1 Scripted TV Telecast in Women 18-34
~Becomes One of the Biggest Hours Ever on Twitter with Nearly
645,000 Tweets at a Peak Rate of 32,000 Tweets per Minute;
All-Day Tweet Total is an Impressive 1.6 Million by 667,000 People
~Is the #1 "Most Social" 1-Hour Episode on Record on SocialGuide.com
~Ranks as Cable TV's #1 Scripted Series of 1Q 2012 in Females 12-34;
Surges by 1 Million Total Viewers Based on Full Week of Viewing
"Pretty Little Liars" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
The winner of the 2012 People's Choice Award for Favorite Cable TV Drama, the season 2 finale of ABC Family's "Pretty Little Liars" ranked as the network's #1 telecast of all time in Women 18-34 (1.3 million/3.9 rating), posted series highs in Adults 18-34 (1.6 million/2.3 rating), Adults 18-49 (2.0 million/1.6 rating) and Women 18-49 (1.7 million/2.7 rating), and was its #2 telecast ever in Total Viewers (3.7 million), Viewers 12-34 (2.6 million/2.8 rating) and Females 12-34 (2.3 million/5.0 rating). In addition, the finale ranks as the network's #3 telecast ever in Adults 18-34 and its #4 telecast ever in Women 18-49.
The explosive "unmAsked," season finale, in which Aria, Emily, Hanna and Spencer finally come face-to-face with their tormentor, "A," blew up social media sites across America, generating nearly 645,000 Tweets, peaking at an impressive 32,000 Tweets per minute. Jenn Deering Davis, Founder of TweetReach, said: "We've been tracking tweets about television shows and events for several years, and this is one of the biggest hours of TV on Twitter we've ever seen. 'Pretty Little Liars' is consistently among the most active shows we track, and last night's finale eclipsed the show's previous high of 289K tweets during one show." Furthermore, featuring an all-day "Pretty Little Liars" catch-up marathon, an impressive 667,000 people tweeted nearly 1.6 million tweets (1,597,696).
Moreover, "Pretty Little Liars" became the #1 "most social" 1-hour episode on record according to SocialGuide, with 720,000 comments, and was the #1 social media program of the night according to Trendrr, with "total activity" of 842,000.
· "Pretty Little Liars" stood as Monday's #1 TV telecast in Females 12-34 and Female Teens (962,000/8.2 rating), the #1 scripted TV telecast in Women 18-34 and Viewers 12-34, cable's #1 telecast in Adults 18-34 and Women 18-49, and the #1 scripted cable telecast in Adults 18-49.
· Season 2B of "Pretty Little Liars" wrapped as cable's #1 scripted original series of 1Q 2012 in Females 12-34 (2.1 million/4.6 rating), and was the #2 scripted original cable series of the quarter in Viewers 12-34 (2.4 million/2.6 rating).
· Based on a full week of viewing, "Pretty Little Liars" generates huge increases by DVR playback, adding nearly 1 million more Total Viewers (2.7 million to 3.6 million) and surging by double-digit percentages across all target demos, including by 40% in Adults 18-34 (1.0 million to 1.4 million), by 36% in Adults 18-49 (1.4 million to 1.9 million) and by 32% in Viewers 12-34 (1.9 million to 2.5 million).
· Moreover, in addition to linear viewing, "Pretty Little Liars" experienced significant viewership online and on VOD, adding close to 1.2 million total views per episode online and through VOD within 7 days of its TV airing.
· "Pretty Little Liars" was easily the #1 TV program on Monday's at 8 o'clock throughout the season in Females 12-34 (3.1 million/4.6 rating), the #1 cable program in the hour in Adults 18-34 (1.3 million/2.0 rating), Women 18-34 (1.1 million/3.4 rating), Women 18-49 (1.5 million/2.3 rating), and Viewers 12-34 (2.4 million/2.6 rating), and the #1 scripted cable program in Total Viewers (3.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.8 million/1.4 rating).
Source: NTI, 3/19/12, Live + Same Day; "PLL 2B: 1/2/12-3/19/12, most current/L + 7. Social Media Sources: TweetReach, Trendrr and SocialGuide. DVR gains = L+7 vs. L+SD.