Live + 7 Day Ratings: ABC Claims 2 of the Week's Top 3 Programs in Adults 18-49 with "Modern Family" and "Grey's"
Live + 7 Day Ratings for the week of 4/16/12 (Week #31):
Based on the Live + 7 Day ratings, ABC claimed 2 of the week's Top 3 programs in Adults 18-49, as Modern Family emerged as TV's #1 series for its 7th consecutive original telecast and Grey's Anatomy solidified its rank as TV's #1 drama.
· Gaining +2.3 rating points among young adults over its initially reported Live + Same Day number (4.1 rating to 6.4), ABC's Modern Family moved ahead of the week's initial leader, Fox's American Idol-Weds, to lead by nearly one full rating point (+0.9 rating point - 6.4 vs. 5.5). In addition, the ABC sitcom increased its advantage over NBC's The Voice (4.6) to +1.8 rating points (from +0.4 rating points in the initially reported Live + Same Day ratings) and over Fox's American Idol-Thurs (4.5) to +1.9 rating points (from +0.1 rating points). Originally in the Live + Same Day statistics, Modern Family ranked as the week's #2 program, behind Idol-Weds. Modern Family also qualified as TV's most-watched comedy for the 2nd week running, outdrawing runner-up, CBS' Two and a Half Men, by 9% in Total Viewers (14.72 million vs. 13.53 million).
· ABC's Grey's Anatomy picked up an additional +1.5 rating points in the Live +7 Day ratings (3.3 rating to 4.8) to move up to rank as TV's #3 program of the week among Adults 18-49 (tied with Two and a Half Men), leapfrogging over The Voice (4.6), Idol-Thurs (4.5) and CBS' 2 Broke Girls (4.4). Initially in the Live + Same Day statistics, Grey's placed as the week's #7 program. The ABC drama solidified its claim as TV's #1 drama of the week in young adults, increasing its lead over runner-up CBS' NCIS to 17% (4.1).
· Based on Nielsen's DVR playback among Adults 18-49, ABC claimed TV's biggest gainer via time-shifted viewing with Modern Family and the 2 biggest drama gainers with Grey's Anatomy and the Tuesday time slot premiere of Private Practice (+1.2 rating points). The ABC sitcom topped the charts for its 18th straight original telecast in both Total Viewers and young adults.
· Impressively, ABC had 6 shows gain more than 2.00 million viewers from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing, including 5 of the Top 10 biggest overall gainers (the most for any network): Modern Family (+4.51 million), Grey's Anatomy (+3.04 million), Castle (+2.82 million), Revenge (+2.64 million), Once Upon a Time (+2.51 million) and Private Practice (+2.29 million).
· Among Adults 18-49, ABC saw 5 series add on at least a full rating point over their initially reported numbers, including the week's top 2 gainers: Modern Family (+2.3 rating - 4.1 to 6.4), Grey's Anatomy (+1.5 rating - 3.3 to 4.4), Private Practice (+1.2 rating - 1.7 to 2.9), Revenge (+1.1 rating - 2.3 to 3.4) and Once Upon a Time (+1.0 rating - 3.0 to 4.0).
Season-to-Date DVR Playback (9/19/11-4/22/12):
On average for the 2011-12 season, ABC's Modern Family and Grey's Anatomy are the season's Top 2 biggest gainers via time-shifted viewing among Adults 18-49 (picking up 2.5 rating points and 1.5 rating points, respectively), while the ABC sitcom is the season's biggest overall gainer among Total Viewers (+4.83 million).
· With Modern Family (7.7 rating) and Grey's Anatomy (5.1), ABC claims this season's #1 scripted series/comedy and #1 drama, respectively, in the key young adult demo based on original telecasts. In fact, Modern Family leads NBC's The Voice (6.6) and CBS' The Big Bang Theory (6.6) to stand as the #1 entertainment program of the season and is within 3-tenths of a rating point of NBC's Sunday Night Football (8.0) to tie as the season's #1 program overall.
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on original, regular telecasts only.