Primetime Ratings Report
For the week of June 18, 2012
(Based on National Live + Same Day Program Ratings)
ABC Dominates its 2nd Straight Week in Total Viewers and Adults 18-49
ABC Claims 5 of the Top 10 Shows in Adults 18-49, the Most for Any Net
In Viewers and Young Adults, ABC's Broadcast of the 2012 NBA Finals Scores the Series' Strongest 5-Game Averages in 8 Years and the 2nd-Highest-Ever on the Net
ABC Wins Each Evening with its 2012 NBA Finals Coverage, as
The Games Qualify as the Night's No. 1 TV Program on All 5 Telecasts
Gaining Broad Primetime Exposure During its Run, "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night"
Jumps Over its Late-Night Averages by 72% in Viewers and by 100% in Young Adults
ABC's Monday Delivery Builds for the 3rd Straight Week Among Adults 18-49
"The Bachelorette" is No. 1 in its Slot in Adults 18-34 and for the 2nd Straight Week Posts ABC's Top Summertime Adult 18-49 Rating in the Time Slot Since Early August
ABC's Series Debut of "The Glass House" Boosts its Slot by 50%
Week to Week in Adults 18-49, Hitting a Summer High in the Hour
ABC's NBA Finals Coverage Dominates Tuesday for the 2nd Week Running, as
The Network Achieves its Highest Adult 18-49 Rating on the Night in 2 Years
ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night 4" Scores its Best Numbers of the Series
On Wednesday, ABC's Repeat Comedies Dominate NBC's Justin Bieber Special
And "Modern Family" Finishes as the Night's No. 1 Scripted Show in Adults 18-49
ABC's "Duets" Builds Week to Week on Wednesday in Viewers and Adults 18-49
Featuring Coverage of the Series-Clinching Game for the 2012 NBA Finals,
ABC Dominates Thursday with its Strongest Performance on the Night in 2 Years
Game 5 of the NBA Finals Ties as TV's Top Telecast Since February in Adults 18-49
Boosted by "20/20," ABC Finishes No. 1 Against its Rivals on Friday with Key Adults
WEEK No. 40:
During the week of June 18, 2012, ABC delivered a strong first-place finish for the 2nd week in a row, leading its nearest competition by 14% in Total Viewers (6.4 million vs. 5.6 million - CBS) and by 47% in Adults 18-49 (2.2/7 vs. 1.5/5 - Fox).
· Building year to year for the 2nd week running, ABC surged over the same week last year by 36% in Total Viewers and by 69% in Adults 18-49 (w/o 6/20/11 = 4.7 million and 1.3/4).
Rankings: ABC aired 5 of the Top 10 TV programs in Adults 18-49 (the most for any net), including the Top 2 shows with the 2012 NBA Finals: "NBA Finals on ABC-GM 5" - No. 1, "NBA Finals on ABC-GM4" - No. 2, "Kia NBA Countdown-GM5" - No. 5, "The Bachelorette" - No. 8 and "Kia NBA Countdown-GM4" - No. 10. In addition, the Net claimed 3 of the Top 10 most-watched TV shows overall with the 2012 NBA Finals Game 5 and Game 4 finishing No. 1 and No. 2, respectively and "The Bachelorette" finishing No. 10. In addition, "The Bachelorette" qualified as the week's highest-rated television series across all key Women (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
With "The Bachelorette" and the debut of "The Glass House," ABC (6.1 million) finished as the 2nd-most-watched network overall to NBC ("America's Got Talent"/"American Ninja Warrior"), while topping Fox's unscripted originals by 11% (5.6 million - "Hell's Kitchen"/"MasterChef"). The Net ranked No. 1 on the night across all key Women demographics (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54).
· Building its Adult 18-49 audience (2.1/6) for the 3rd week in a row, ABC marked its top-rated summertime Monday (Memorial Day- Labor Day) since the beginning of last August - since 8/8/11.
"The Bachelorette" (8:00-10:02 p.m.)
At 8:00 p.m., ABC's "The Bachelorette" took second in its 2-hour time with Total Viewers (6.9 million) and moved up to No. 1 with Adults 18-34 (2.0/7-tie) for the first time this season. In addition, for the 5th week running, the ABC unscripted series won its time period across all key Women demos (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54). Further, "The Bachelorette" registered as Monday's No. 1 TV series for the 5th consecutive week among its core Women 18-34 audience (3.1/9).
· Despite facing increased competition in the time period this week from NBC, "The Bachelorette" retained 100% of its Adult 18-49 audience (2.3/7) week to week. In fact, on each of the last 2 weeks, the show has delivered ABC's top summertime young adult numbers in the time slot since the beginning of last August - since 8/1/11.
"The Glass House" (10:02-11:00 p.m.)
During the 10 o'clock hour, ABC's debut of "The Glass House" ranked No. 1 with Women 18-49 (2.0/5-tie).
· ABC's "The Glass House" boosted its time period week to week by 50% in Adults 18-49 (1.5/4 vs. 1.0/3), hitting a summer-high for the Network in the hour.
Driven by coverage of the 2012 NBA Finals Game between Miami and Oklahoma City, ABC dominated Tuesday night for the 2nd week in a row, outrunning its closest competitor by 4.6 million viewers (11.8 million vs. 7.2 million - CBS) and beating its combined network competition in Adults 18-49 (4.9/15 vs. 4.8/15 - CBS, NBC and Fox combined).
· In Adults 18-49, ABC scored its top-rated Tuesday in 2 years - since 6/15/10.
"Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night 4" (Various Time Periods)
Airing around the NBA Finals in various time periods across the country, "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" continued to generate broad exposure for the ABC late-night show in prime. "JKL Game Night 4" surged by 94% in Total Viewers (3.5 million vs. 1.8 million) and by 120% in Adults 18-49 (1.1/4 vs. 0.5/2) over the show's 2011-12 season averages in late night.
· "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" grew week to week in both viewers (+6%) and young adults (+10%), putting up the highest numbers yet for the specials this year.
"NBA Finals on ABC Game 4" (9:04 - 11:46 p.m. E.T.)
With the Oklahoma City Thunder at the Miami Heat, ABC's 2012 NBA Finals Game 4 towered over primetime to stand as Tuesday's dominant No. 1 TV program with Total Viewers (17.5 million) and across each of the key Adult demographics: A18-34 (7.8/26), A18-49 (7.4/22) and A25-54 (7.5/20). It was the 4th consecutive broadcast for the 2012 NBA Finals to finish as the No. 1 TV program of the night. The Heat defeated the Thunder by a score of 104-98 to lead the best-of-seven series 3-1.
With back-to-back-to-back comedy encores leading into an original "Duets," ABC grew over the prior Wednesday by 8% in Total Viewers (4.1 million vs. 3.8 million) and by 9% in Adults 18-49 (1.2/4 vs. 1.1/4) to deliver its best performance on the night this summer to date.
· In the 8 o'clock hour, encore airings of ABC's "The Middle" and "Suburgatory" outdelivered Part 1 of NBC's "Justin Bieber: All Around the World" by 20% in Total Viewers (3.6 million vs. 3.0 million) and by 11% in Adults 18-49 (1.0/3 vs. 0.9/3).
· A repeat of ABC's "Modern Family" was Wednesday's No. 1 scripted show on the major networks in Adults 18-49. The ABC sitcom delivered its best performance this summer in both Viewers (4.6 million) and young adults (1.5/5-tie).
· From 9:30-11:00 p.m., ABC's "Duets" built week to week by 5% in Total Viewers (4.2 million vs. 4.0 million) and by 9% in Adults 18-49 (1.2/4 vs. 1.1/3). In addition, the new ABC unscripted show doubled its Teen 12-17 delivery to match a best-since-premiere number.
Featuring coverage of the series-clinching game for the 2012 NBA Finals between Miami and Oklahoma City, ABC outdrew its closest competitor by 6.0 million viewers (13.0 million vs. 7.0 million - CBS) and beat its combined network competition for its 4th straight telecast with the series among Adults 18-49 (+41% - 5.2/17 vs. 3.7/11 - CBS, NBC and Fox combined). The Network won all five nights with its 2012 NBA Finals coverage among viewers and all key adult demographics (AD18-34/AD18-49/AD25-54).
· In viewers and young adults, ABC marked its strongest Thursday in 2 years - since 6/17/10 with Game 7 of the 2010 Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals.
"Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" (Various Time Periods)
Airing around the NBA Finals in various time periods across the country during its 5-night run, "Jimmy Kimmel Live Game Night" drew broad exposure for the ABC late-night talker in primetime. On average, "JKL Game Night" wrapped with a 72% increase in Viewers (3.1 million vs. 1.8 million) and a 100% gain in Adults 18-49 (1.0/4 vs. 0.5/2) over the show's 2011-12 season averages in late night. During the just-completed season, ABC's "JKL" wrapped its most-watched season in 5 years (best since 2006-07), representing the show's 2nd-biggest audience in its 10-year history.
"NBA Finals on ABC Game 5" (9:04 - 11:53 p.m. E.T.)
As the Miami Heat defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder to win the 2012 NBA Finals, ABC's broadcast of Game 5 shot to the top of Thursday's primetime to stand as the evening's dominant No. 1 TV program with Total Viewers (18.5 million) and across each of the key Adult demographics: A18-34 (7.8/27), A18-49 (7.6/23) and A25-54 (7.7/21). In fact, the 2012 NBA Finals registered as the No. 1 TV program of the night on all 5 telecasts.
· On average, ABC's 2012 NBA Finals built over the first five games of last year's high-rated Miami-Dallas matchup by 5% in Total Viewers (16.9 million vs. 16.1 million) and by 8% in Adults 18-49 (7.1/20 vs. 6.6/19). In viewers and young adults, the 2012 NBA Finals scored the series' biggest 5-game averages in 8 years (since 2004) and the 2nd-highest-ever on ABC (since beginning carriage in 2003).
· In Adults 18-49, ABC's Game 5 of the 2012 NBA Finals tied as TV's top-rated telecast since February - since the Net's "Academy Awards" broadcast on 2/26/12.
Boosted by a 2-hour "20/20," ABC ranked No. 1 on Friday night versus its network rivals in Adults 18-49 (1.1/4) and Adults 25-54 (1.5/5), topping runner-up NBC (with a 2-hour "Dateline") by 10% and 15%, respectively.
· During the 8 o'clock hour, ABC's replay "Shark Tank" led the pack in Adults 18-49 (1.1/4), beating CBS' repeat "Undercover Boss" by 22% (0.9/4) and nearly tripling NBC's encores of "Whitney" and "Community" (+175% - 0.4/2).
· From 9:00-11:00 p.m., ABC's "20/20" drew the Net's biggest audience (4.8 million) in the time period with regular programming in 7 weeks - since 5/4/12. For the first time since former Presidential candidate John Edwards' trial, Rielle Hunter, his former mistress and the mother of his four-year-old child, broke her silence and spoke exclusively to ABC News' Chris Cuomo on "20/20."
Source: The Nielsen Company (National, Live+ Same Day Program Ratings), week of 06/18/12.