Live + 7 Day Ratings: ABC Claims 3 of the Top 5 Biggest Gainers in Adults 18-49 During Premiere Week
Live + 7 Day Ratings for 2013-14 Premiere Week (Week #1):
Based on Nielsen's TV playback data for the opening week of the 2013-14 season, the series debut of ABC's Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was the biggest regular gainer among Adults 18-49 (tied with CBS' The Big Bang Theory premiere), jumping +2.3 rating points over its initially reported Live + Same Day rating to hit a 7.0 rating in the final Live + 7 numbers. This marks the 6th year in a row for ABC to claim the biggest gainer during Premiere week in Adults 18-49. With S.H.I.E.L.D., ABC claimed 3 of the Top 5 biggest broadcast gainers in Adults 18-49 (the most for any network), with Modern Family picking up another +2.1 rating points and Grey's Anatomy gaining +1.7 rating points in the L+7 numbers.
· S.H.I.E.L.D. grew to a 7.0 rating in Adults 18-49 in L+7, solidifying its rank as the #1 freshman show and the #1 broadcast drama, while emerging as the #2 broadcast series overall of the new season. In addition, the new ABC drama moved out of a tie with The Voice in the initially reported L+SD numbers to rank as Tuesday's dominant #1 TV show in the L+7 ratings, towering over the NBC unscripted series by more than 1 full rating point (7.0 rating vs. 5.7 rating). After 7 days of TV playback, S.H.I.E.L.D. saw its Total Viewer tally grow to 17 million viewers.
· On Monday at 10pm, the season opener of ABC's Castle gained +1.2 Adult 18-49 rating points in the L+7 numbers, going from a 2.2 rating to a 3.4 rating. With bigger playback gains this year than last year (+1.2 rating points vs. +0.9 rating points), Castle grew over its year-ago premiere by 13% among Adults 18-49 in the final Live + 7 Day numbers (3.4 vs. 3.0).
· The series debut of ABC's The Goldbergs on Tuesday at 9pm jumped from a 3.1 rating among Adults 18-49 in the L+SD statistics to a 4.1 rating in the L+7 numbers, gaining a full rating point after 7 days of TV playback.
· Growing to a 6.2 rating in the Live + 7 Day ratings, ABC's Modern Family moved ahead of both the Monday (6.1) and Tuesday (5.7) editions of NBC's The Voice.
· The season opener of ABC's Nashville shot up 60% with Adults 18-49 in the Live + 7 Day ratings, growing to a 3.2 and remaining ahead of CBS' CSI premiere (3.1) in the 10pm hour. Nashville scored bigger L7 playback gains this year than last year's debut among young adults (60% vs. 50%).
· The 2-hour premiere of ABC's Grey's Anatomy soared to a 5.1 rating among Adults 18-49 in the L+7 numbers, growing by +1.7 rating points over its Live + Same Day number. Grey's Adult 18-49 increase in L+7 was higher for this year's premiere than last year's opener (+1.7 rating points vs. +1.5 rating points).
· With the addition of L+7 playback, ABC's Shark Tank solidified its claim as Friday's #1 TV show in Adults 18-49, growing to a 2.6 rating to beat CBS' premieres of Blue Bloods (2.4) and Hawaii Five-0 (2.4).
· The season opener of ABC's Once Upon a Time emerged as Sunday's #1 broadcast series in Adults 18-49 in the L+7 ratings, leapfrogging over Fox's NFL-led premiere of The Simpsons to lead by 19% (3.8 vs. 3.2). The ABC drama shot up nearly 50% over its Live + Same Day number to grow to a 3.8 rating in Adults 18-49 in L+7 (versus 2.6 in L+SD). This year's Adult 18-49 build in TV playback was bigger than last year's premiere build (+46% vs. +36%).
· The season premiere of ABC's Revenge on Sunday at 9pm catapulted more than 50% over its L+SD rating, going from a 2.3 to a 3.5 in L+7 (+1.2 rating points), making it the night's #2 broadcast series, behind only ABC's Once Upon a Time. Revenge's L+7 increase with Adults 18-49 was much higher for this year's premiere than for last year's opener increase (+52% vs. +34%).
· ABC had 8 shows gain more than 2 million viewers from their initially reported totals via TV playback: S.H.I.E.L.D. (+4.89 million - 12.12 million to 17.01 million), Castle (+4.46 million - 11.46 million to 15.92 million), Modern Family (+4.28 million - 11.66 million to 15.94 million), Grey's Anatomy (+3.88 million - 9.28 million to 13.16 million), Revenge (+2.94 million - 8.11 million to 11.05 million), Nashville (+2.85 million - 6.50 million to 9.35 million), Once Upon a Time (+2.54 million - 8.52 million to 11.06 million) and The Goldbergs (+2.21 million - 8.94 million to 11.15 million).
Source: The Nielsen Company, as dated. Based on regular, original telecasts only.