GOLF CHANNEL MATCHES HIGHEST-RATED YEAR EVER IN 2015
Millennial Audience Grows 50% Year-over-Year
Golf Channel Digital Scores Best Year Ever Across All Platforms
Golf Channel Encourages More Golfers to Play More Golf through Portfolio of Digital Lifestyle Brands, Highlighted by 15.2 Million Rounds Booked via GolfNow
ORLANDO, Fla. (Jan. 5, 2016) - In 2015, Golf Channel matched its highest-rated year ever (.11 HH Cvg Rtg, 24-hour Total Day 6AM-6AM) for the second consecutive year, according to data released by The Nielsen Company. Additionally, viewership growth was driven in part by "Millennials" with impressions for Persons 25-34 increasing +50% in Total Day, +17% in Primetime and +22% for PGA TOUR coverage. Since joining NBC Sports Group in 2011, Golf Channel has scored its five best years ever and has increased ratings +57% and viewership +43% over that span. Also in 2015, Golf Channel continued as the No. 1 most-affluent ad-supported television network in both total day and primetime for the second consecutive year.
"Golf Channel's success in 2015 was fueled by the most live coverage ever, which featured a young crop of players making names for themselves as the future stars of the game. In 2016, we will build on this momentum with the addition of an exciting 12-week span that includes The Open, Olympics, FedExCup Playoffs and Ryder Cup," said Mike McCarley, president of Golf Channel. "Additionally, we are carrying that momentum beyond traditional TV with millions of our loyal viewers engaging with us daily across our portfolio of digital and golf lifestyle brands."
73 MILLION CONSUME LIVE GOLF VIA NBC SPORTS GROUP: In 2015, NBC Sports Group reached more than 73 million unique viewers via Golf Channel on NBC broadcasts and Golf Channel, which provided more live tournament golf coverage than all other U.S. television networks combined. Golf Channel televised 128 events that reached more than 500k viewers (+133% vs. 2010, +14% vs. 2014) and 13 events that reached more than 1 million viewers (+117% vs. 2010, +225% vs. 2014). This led to Golf Channel posting its second most-watched year (99,000 average viewers, 24-hour Total Day 6AM-6AM, 1% vs. 2014), surpassed only by 2013.
105 MILLION VISITS TO GOLF CHANNEL DIGITAL: Golf Channel's success extended across all platforms, including more than 105 million visits to Golf Channel Digital, which again saw best-ever results in key metrics for GolfChannel.com traffic, live streaming consumption, mobile app usage and social media followers. Golf Channel also helped connect more golfers to the game via its portfolio of digital lifestyle brands, including GolfNow, which utilizes technology to encourage more golfers to play more golf and helped golf course partners book more than 15.2 million rounds of golf in 2015, a 13% increase vs. 2014.
CARRYING MOMENTUM INTO 2016: A transformational year ahead for golf and NBC Sports Group, highlighted by:
· Golf Channel's coverage from every round of each PGA TOUR event, featuring an emerging roster of young superstars, including Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, Rickie Fowler and Dustin Johnson, resuming in primetime this Thursday, Jan. 7 from Hawaii with the Hyundai Tournament of Champions.
· David Feherty calling live tournament action for the first time on NBC, complementing his talk show Feherty on Golf Channel and his contributions to Golf Central and Morning Drive
· The Open, NBC Sports Group's inaugural event of their long-term partnership with the R&A (July 14-17, Royal Troon Golf Club, Scotland)
· Four of five LPGA Tour major championships on Golf Channel and NBC
· Golf's return to the Olympics for the first time since 1904 (Men's: Aug. 11-14; Women's: Aug. 17-20; Rio de Janeiro)
· PGA TOUR's FedExCup Playoffs (Aug. 25-Sept. 25)
· The Ryder Cup (Sept.30-Oct. 1, Hazeltine National Golf Club, Minneapolis)
TOP FIVE YEARS IN GOLF CHANNEL HISTORY SINCE JOINING NBC SPORTS GROUP:
Household Cvg Rating % YOY % vs. '10
2015 0.11 Even +57%
2014 0.11 Even +57%
2013 0.11 +10% +57%
2012 0.10 +11% +43%
2011 0.09 +28% +28%
In 2010, Golf Channel posted a .07 household coverage rating.
ADDITIONAL 2015 GOLF CHANNEL VIEWERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS:
· Strong Finish to 2015 after Young Stars Energize (24-hour Total Day 6AM-6AM):
· First Quarter -14% YOY
· Second Quarter +3% YOY - Tied Most-Watched Second Quarter Ever
· Third Quarter +8% YOY - Most-Watched Third Quarter Ever
· Fourth Quarter +13% YOY
· "Millennial" Growth on Golf Channel (Average Viewers P25-34):
· +50% in Total Day with Persons 25-34
· +17% in Primetime with Persons 25-34
· +22% for PGA TOUR coverage with Persons 25-34
· Most-Affluent Audience in All of Television:
· Total Day: No. 1 most-affluent ad-supported television network for median household income ($77.1k) for the second consecutive year
· Primetime: No. 1 most-affluent ad-supported television network for median household income ($83.6k) for the second consecutive year
· Comprehensive Coverage of Golf's Biggest Events (Average Viewers P2+):
· Golf Channel on NBC coverage of PGA TOUR up 5% vs. 2014
· Golf Channel's live coverage of the PGA TOUR was up 9% in 2015 (January-September)
· Golf Channel and Golf Channel on NBC live coverage of the FedExCup Playoffs saw a 22% increase vs. 2014
· 40% Year-over-Year Growth for Golf Central's "Live From" across all four men's major championships and The Players. These weeks saw year-over-year increases:
· Masters +33% - Second Best Masters Week Ever
· The Players +23% - Second Best Players Week Ever
· U.S. Open +17% - Second Best U.S. Open Week Ever
· The Open +30% - Best Open Championship Week Ever
· PGA Championship +6% - Best PGA Championship Week Ever
· Viewership Records Set at LPGA Tour's Major Championships on Golf Channel and NBC:
· ANA Inspiration's second round posted the most-watched early round in 20 years
· Inaugural KPMG Women's PGA Championship was 2015's second most-watched women's golf event
· Evian Championship posted most-watched opening and third rounds since becoming a major championship in 2013
· Golf Channel's Coverage of College Golf:
· 2015 NCAA Men's & Women's Golf Championships reached more than 2.2 million viewers and averaged 250,000 viewers, which is +50% vs. same time periods in 2014
· November's East Lake Cup reached more than 1.1 million viewers, and live coverage lifted time periods +50% vs. 2014's fourth quarter average
· Growth for All Programming Genres vs. Same Time Period in 2010:
Rating (HH Cvg.) Average Viewers
Live Tournament Coverage +26% +18%
PGA TOUR +43% +36%
Golf Central +88% +90%
Morning Drive +100% +187%
Instructional Programming +25% +14%
RECORD GROWTH FOR GOLF CHANNEL DIGITAL (all percentages year-over-year) - Golf Channel Digital Posts Best Year Ever For All Key Metrics:
· GolfChannel.com: average monthly uniques +22%, video starts +18%, page views +12%
· Golf Channel Mobile App: page views +45%, average monthly uniques +15%, video starts +14%
· Golf Channel's Apps expand reach with more than 4.2 million downloads, including Golf Channel Mobile, Golf Live Extra and Golf Channel Academy
Live Streaming: Golf Live Extra drew 133.3 million total minutes streamed (+41%).
· Since launch in 2013, 317 million minutes of golf programming have been streamed
Social Media Presence: Golf Channel Social Media platforms are up 35% with more than 5.1 million followers across its platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Golf Channel's on-air team has nearly 1.8 million collective social media followers, showing a 20% increase.
Leading Golf Course Review Resource: Launched in 2014, Golf Advisor is home to more than 450,000 reviews by golfers providing authentic insight on more than 10,000 courses in nearly 150 countries around the globe.
GOLF CHANNEL'S LIFESTYLE BRAND PORTFOLIO:
· "Go Play!" Golf Participation: GolfNow, the world's leading technology company specializing in golf-related products and services with the most popular online tee time reservation platform, helped golfers book more than 15.2 million rounds of golf in 2015, a 13% increase year-over-year, at nearly 9,000 golf courses worldwide.
· Golf Course Technology: GolfNow aided nearly 9,000 golf courses to more efficiently run their businesses via a portfolio of specifically designed software and services.
· High-Quality Instruction: Golf Channel's instructional content continues to evolve beyond television. The Golf Channel Academy app features more than 2,500 curated instructional videos. And in 2015, Golf Channel launched instruction facilities also branded Golf Channel Academy, which feature a network of the most-recognized coaching names in the industry at premier golf locations across North America. In Golf Channel Academy's first year, 68 facilities in 28 top markets make up the network, employing more than 200 top-caliber coaches.
· Largest Amateur Tour in Golf: The 2015 Golf Channel Amateur Tour featured more than 6,700 avid amateur golfers logging 56,700 competitive rounds at more than 700 tournaments held in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, culminating in the 2015 National Championship in Palm Springs, Calif. at PGA West with the maximum 1,235 players competing.
ABOUT GOLF CHANNEL:
Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. Serving the most-affluent audience in all of television, Golf Channel - co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and now part of NBC Sports Group - is available in more than 200 million homes in 84 countries and 11 languages around the world. Golf Channel features more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, including tournament action from the PGA TOUR, LPGA Tour, The Open Championship, Olympics, and Ryder Cup, as well as high-quality news, instruction and original programming. Golf Channel's digital platforms, headed by GolfChannel.com, are leading golf digital destinations, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf. Fans are able to enjoy 24/7 live streaming of Golf Channel content through Golf Live Extra and NBC Sports Live Extra and select programming is simulcast via SiriusXM's PGA TOUR Radio. In addition, Golf Channel connects the world to golf through a wide array of digital and lifestyle services including Golf Channel Mobile, a comprehensive app covering golf's latest headlines, scores and analysis; GolfNow, the world's largest online tee time booking platform and golf course technology partner, which includes the GolfNow Mobile App, featuring on-course GPS tracking, in-round scoring and game tracking; GolfAdvisor.com, the world's largest golf course ratings and review resource for golfers, by golfers; a North American network of Golf Channel Academy instructional facilities; and Golf Channel Am Tour, the world's largest amateur golf tour.