"MEGA WEEK" PREMIERES OF SUPERSIZED EPISODES TAKE DISCOVERY CHANNEL TO #1 NON-SPORTS CABLE NETWORK IN MEN FOR WEEK ENDING DEC. 10
Discovery Channel Has Best Week of 2016 Among Men 25-54
(Los Angeles) - Discovery Channel's annual Prime Time week of programming titled "MEGA WEEK" aired from Dec. 4-10 and delivered mega ratings for the network, super-sized episodes of GOLD RUSH, STREET OUTLAWS, FAST 'N LOUD, ALASKA: THE LAST FRONTIER, TREASURE QUEST: SNAKE ISLAND and MOONSHINERS pushed Discovery Channel to be Cable's #1 non-sports network in Men 25-54. Discovery Channel also owned more Top 10 unscripted cable telecasts for the week than any other network across all key men (25-54/18-49/18-34).
MEGA WEEK 2016 highlights included:
· Discovery was cable's #1 non-sports network in Men 25-54 during Mega Week - impressively topping all other cable networks
· Gold Rush was the #1 unscripted telecast on all of TV (excl. sports) during Mega Week among M25-54 & M18-49. Gold Rush also placed #1 on cable across P25-54, P18-49, M18-34 and P2+
· All of Discovery's featured episodes scored season highs during Mega Week:
· Alaska: The Last Frontier rose to season highs across P/M25-54, P/M18-49, and P2+.
· Street Outlaws scored its 2nd-highest rated episode ever across P/M25-54 and P18-49.
· Moonshiners notched season highs across M25-54, M18-49, and P/M18-34.
· Gold Rush nabbed season highs across P2+ and all 25-54s, 18-49s, and 18-34s.
· Treasure Quest: Snake Island saw a season high in M25-54.
· Fast N' Loud special topped its year-ago Mega Week special in key P25-54.
· During Mega Week, Discovery claimed more of cable's Top 10 unscripted telecasts (excl. sports) than any other network across all key men:
· M25-54: 6 of the Top 10 with Gold Rush (#1), Street Outlaws (#2), Fast N' Loud (#4), Moonshiners (#5), Alaska: The Last Frontier (#6), Treasure Quest: Snake Island (#7)
Source: The Nielsen Company, Live+3 coverage area data. Ranks based on 000s, season high/best week since stories based on ratings (2 decimals). Net rankers based on TP data; best week since uses program-based dayparts, starts within Prime (M-Su 8-11p), excl. breakouts. TC rankers based on Total Day 6a-6a, excl. sports & sports programming, as well as pay cable "breaks".