"Candy Cane Lane" Becomes Prime Video's Most-Watched Amazon MGM Studios-Produced Movie Debut Ever in the U.S.
· In its first three days of release, Candy Cane Lane is the #1 movie worldwide on Prime Video, also becoming the most-watched Amazon MGM Studios-produced movie debut ever in the U.S. The holiday comedy is also among the top 10 worldwide film debuts ever on the service. Additionally, according to titles tracked by Screen Engine/ASI, Candy Cane Lane debuted with the highest reported viewership among streaming (PVOD & SVOD) movie releases for the weekend ending December 3.
· "The sensational debut of Eddie Murphy's first-ever Christmas movie, Candy Cane Lane, is a true demonstration of how joyful, family-oriented stories can touch the hearts of viewers around the world," said Courtenay Valenti, head of film, streaming, and theatrical at Amazon MGM Studios. "We are so proud of our wonderful director Reginald Hudlin, along with the dynamic Eddie Murphy and Tracee Ellis Ross, our partners at Imagine Entertainment, and the rest of the all-star cast and team of creatives that brought this original and festive IP to life."
· Candy Cane Lane is directed by Reginald Hudlin, written by Kelly Younger, produced by Brian Grazer, Eddie Murphy, Karen Lunder, Charisse Hewitt-Webster, and stars Eddie Murphy, Tracee Ellis Ross, and Jillian Bell, among others.
· Counting down to Candy Cane Lane's December 1 premiere on Prime Video, Amazon MGM Studios spread holiday cheer to audiences with activations such as the 12 Days of Candy Cane Lane, which brought festive surprises and special moments to fans including Giving Tuesday's Red Cross Blood Drive, a new song, "Miracle," from Raphael Saadiq featuring Kelli-Leigh, available exclusively on Amazon Music, and a fully immersive Kringle's Virtual Holiday Shop. To bring joy to the local community, the film also hosted a community pop-up event in Baldwin Hills, CA for families, organizations and business owners, with Candy Cane Lane presenting a $50,000.00 check to Destination Crenshaw. Additionally, as an extra sprinkle of cheer, 'The Candy Cane Lane Traveling Truck Tour' has been traveling around the U.S. handing out special treats and free items on behalf of the film.
· Amazon MGM Studios also collaborated with Grubhub to spread the festive cheer with the contest of a lifetime, "Christmas Delivered by Candy Cane Lane." On November 20, Grubhub customers in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York entered to win a holiday home transformation with stunning holiday decorations donated by Balsam Hill(R), and smart light products by Govee. Additionally, the studio is collaborating withHabitat for Humanity International to bring holiday cheer and celebrate the importance of home this holiday season. From November 15 to December 27, Prime Video is donating $25,000 to Habitat for Humanity International and $55,000 to Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (Habitat LA), while Amazon employees participated in build days across the U.S. In Los Angeles, they decorated a newly built Habitat LA community (see recap video here) to spread the magic and joy of the holidays, and welcomed new homeowners with holiday gift baskets and 55-inch Omni QLED Series Fire TVs.
· Additionally, pop-R&B singer and songwriter Chloe Bailey (known as Chlöe) released an exclusive Amazon Music Original track "Merry Christmas Baby," her own version of Otis Redding's famous Christmas hit, in conjunction with the film's release. The track is featured in the opening credits of Candy Cane Lane and is available now for fans to stream only on Amazon Music.
About Candy Cane Lane
Directed by Reginald Hudlin
Written by Kelly Younger
Produced by Brian Grazer, p.g.a., Eddie Murphy, Karen Lunder, p.g.a., Charisse Hewitt-Webster, p.g.a.
Executive produced by Doug Merrifield
Starring Eddie Murphy, Tracee Ellis Ross, Jillian Bell, Thaddeus J. Mixson, Ken Marino, Nick Offerman, Robin Thede, Chris Redd, Genneya Walton, Madison Thomas, Anjelah Johnson-Reyes, Lombardo Boyar, D.C. Young Fly, Danielle Pinnock, Timothy Simons, Riki Lindhome, Stephen Tobolowsky
Genre: Holiday Comedy Adventure
Eddie Murphy stars in this holiday comedy adventure about a man on a mission to win his neighborhood's annual Christmas home decoration contest. After Chris (Eddie Murphy) inadvertently makes a deal with a mischievous elf named Pepper (Jillian Bell) to better his chances of winning, she casts a magic spell that brings the 12 Days of Christmas to life and wreaks havoc on the whole town. At the risk of ruining the holidays for his family, Chris, his wife Carol (Tracee Ellis Ross), and their three children must race against the clock to break Pepper's spell, battle deviously magical characters and save Christmas for everyone.