Play 4Kay Initiative Highlighted by Three Top 25 Games
Two-day event to showcase eight regionalized games, and four national telecasts
ESPN will show an event-high 24 teams across ESPN2 and ESPNU Sunday, Feb. 17 and Monday, Feb. 18 as part of the Play 4Kay women's basketball initiative - in support of the Kay Yow Cancer Fund(R), in partnership with the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) and The V Foundation, for women's cancer research. Play 4Kay is in its seventh year and is in memory of former North Carolina State head coach Kay Yow, who died Jan. 24, 2009, after a long, courageous battle with breast cancer. Yow had been a member of The V Foundation Board of Directors.
Play 4Kay will showcase eight regionalized games in high definition within two ESPN2 telecast windows on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. ET and 5 p.m. The majority of the country will see the best action of the day with whip-around coverage between sites and updates from other games. In the 16 home markets of the competing teams, ESPN2 will start and remain primarily with the game of local interest. Also, as part of the initiative, are two full-national telecasts on ESPNU at 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., plus two Big Monday Presented by Bud Light games on ESPN2 on Monday, Feb. 18, at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
ESPN3 will have the eight regionalized games in their entirety, while all the ESPNU and Big Monday games will be available on computers at WatchESPN.com and on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app for fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider.
· Seventeen teams in the Play 4Kay schedule are 2012 NCAA Championship participants, including all four Women's Final Four teams - Baylor, Connecticut, Stanford and Notre Dame.
· Sixteen teams are ranked in an early preseason poll by ESPN.com columnist Charlie Creme, including No. 1 Baylor, No. 2 Connecticut, No. 4 Maryland, No. 5 Kentucky, No. 6 Stanford, No. 8 Notre Dame, No. 10 St. John's, No. 11 Louisville, No. 12 Oklahoma, No. 14 Georgia Tech, No. 17 Texas A&M, No. 18 Purdue, No. 20 Vanderbilt, No. 21 Tennessee, No. 22 Kansas and No. 24 Iowa.
· There are five matchups featuring top 25 teams, including a potential No. 1 vs. No. 2 game
· Two full-national telecasts on ESPNU showcasing DePaul at No. 11 Louisville at 1:30 p.m. and No. 6 Stanford at UCLA at 3:30 p.m.
· The Big Monday Presented by Bud Light doubleheader on Feb. 18 featuring SEC rivals No. 5 Kentucky at No. 17 Texas A&M at 7 p.m. and a non-conference battle between No. 1 Baylor at No. 2 Connecticut at 9 p.m.
· In addition, another top five team - No. 4 Maryland plays at Virginia at 5 p.m.
· The Play 4Kay slate features two of the most touted women's basketball seniors in the nation - 2012 consensus national player of the year Baylor senior Brittney Griner and Notre Dame senior All-American Skylar Diggins.
· Six returning WBCA Coaches' All-America Team members - Baylor's Griner and junior Odyssey Sims, Notre Dame's Diggins, Connecticut junior Bria Hartley, Maryland junior Alyssa Thomas and Stanford junior Chiney Ogwumike.
Kay Yow Legacy
Yow's coaching career spanned more than 38 years, including 34 with NC State. She had a record of 737-344, which encompassed 20 NCAA championship bids, a Women's Final Four appearance in 1998 and four ACC Tournament championships. She also coached the U.S. Olympic women's team to a gold medal in 1988 and was inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2000, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 and will be going into the inaugural NC State4 Hall of Fame.
2013 Play 4Kay Schedule (Subject to change)
Date Time (ET) Game/Commentator Network(s)
Sun, Feb 17 1:30 p.m. DePaul at No. 11 Louisville ESPNU / WatchESPN
2:30 p.m. **No. 8 Notre Dame at Marquette ESPN2 / ESPN3
**No. 12 Oklahoma at Kansas ESPN2 / ESPN3
**No. 14 Georgia Tech at NC State ESPN2 / ESPN3
**Alabama at Auburn ESPN2 / ESPN3
3:30 p.m. No. 6 Stanford at UCLA ESPNU / WatchESPN
5 p.m. **No. 4 Maryland at Virginia ESPN2 / ESPN3
**Cincinnati at No. 10 St. John's ESPN2 / ESPN3
**No. 20 Vanderbilt at No. 21 Tennessee ESPN2 / ESPN3
**No. 24 Iowa at Purdue ESPN2 / ESPN3
Mon, Feb 18 7 p.m. Big Monday Presented by Bud Light:
No. 5 Kentucky at No. 17 Texas A&M ESPN2 / WatchESPN
9 p.m. Big Monday Presented by Bud Light:
No. 1 Baylor at No. 2 Connecticut ESPN2 / WatchESPN
** - Regionalized telecast; rankings based on an early preseason poll by ESPN.com columnist Charlie Creme
About the Kay Yow Cancer Fund
The Kay Yow Cancer Fund is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization committed to being a part of finding an answer in the fight against women's cancers through raising money for scientific research, assisting the underserved, and unifying people for a common cause. For more information on the Kay Yow Cancer Fund or to make a donation, please visit www.KayYow.com.
About The V Foundation for Cancer Research
The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded in 1993 by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano, legendary North Carolina State basketball coach and ESPN commentator. Since 1993, The Foundation has raised more than $120 million to fund cancer research grants nationwide. It awards 100 percent of all direct cash donations and net proceeds of events directly to cancer research and related programs. Administrative and fundraising expenses are paid by the Foundation's endowment. The Foundation awards grants through a competitive awards process strictly supervised by a Scientific Advisory Board. For more information on The V Foundation or to make a donation, please visit www.jimmyv.org.
Founded in 1981, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association promotes women's basketball by unifying coaches at all levels to develop a reputable identity for the sport and to foster and promote the development of the game as a sport for women and girls. For more information on the WBCA, please visit www.wbca.org.