Nominees Announced for "The 2016 ESPYS" as Fan Voting Begins
LeBron James, Holly Holm, Stephen Curry, Tom Brady, Simone Biles, Andy Murray, Roberta Vinci, Cristiano Ronaldo, Carli Lloyd and Cam Newton are all among nominees for 'The 2016 ESPYS' on ABC, hosted by John Cena
Nominees for "The 2016 ESPYS presented by Capital One" were revealed today and fan voting has begun.
Fans can cast their vote at ESPYS.com and a list of "The 2016 ESPYS" nominees is available to members of the media at http://es.pn/28MxZX9.
Voting is underway, and all categories will close when the live show starts on Wednesday, July 13, at 8 p.m. EDT.
Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon ("Pardon the Interruption") will host "The ESPY Nomination Special" on Thursday, June 30, at 6:30 p.m. EDT on ESPN2.
Fans will determine the winners in most ESPYS categories by voting online at ESPYS.com up to the start of "The 2016 ESPYS."
2016 ESPYS FACTS & FIGURES:
· In Best Male Athlete, former nominees Stephen Curry and LeBron James are joined by two newcomers to the category, Cam Newton and Bryce Harper. Harper is also nominated for Best MLB Player, his first two nominations ever.
· Breanna Stewart has earned her 3rd-straight Best Female Athlete nomination, on the heels of her 4th-straight NCAA tournament MOP award. She faces stiff competition from WNBA MVP Elena Delle Donne, record-breaking swimmer Katie Ledecky, and world-leading gymnast Simone Biles.
· Snowboarding phenom Chloe Kim and UFC star Conor McGregor are each vying to be the first in their sport to win Best Breakthrough Athlete. They are joined in the category by unanimous NBA Rookie of the Year Karl-Anthony Towns and MLB NL Cy Young-winner Jake Arrieta.
· Team USA star Carli Lloyd is the first soccer player ever to be nominated for Best Championship Performance. She is up against NBA Finals MVP LeBron James, Conn Smythe-winner Sidney Crosby, and Super Bowl MVP Von Miller.
· The UConn Huskies Women's basketball team is the only Best Team nominee returning from 2015. They are gracing the category for a 3rd-straight year and 9th all-time.
· Lydia Ko is a returning contender for Best Female Golfer, having become the award's youngest winner ever at the 2015 ESPYs. Her fellow nominees have also broken new ground for young female golfers: Brooke Henderson is the youngest player to win the Women's PGA Championship; Ariya Jutanugarn is the first LPGA pro in history to win her first three titles consecutively; and Inbee Park is the youngest golfer to ever qualify for the LPGA Hall of Fame.
· Kawhi Leonard is up for his first Best NBA Player award. He is joined by former nominees Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and LeBron James. James is in the running for a 12th-straight year.
· Serena Williams is chasing an 8th Best Female Tennis Player award. She faces a field of first-time nominees: Australian Open champion Angelique Kerber, U.S. Open champion Flavia Pennetta, and French Open champion Garbi�e Muguruza.
The 24th annual "ESPYS" is back on ABC for the second year with a star-studded night celebrating major sports achievements, reliving unforgettable moments and saluting the leading performers and performances of the past year in sports. Top celebrities from sports and entertainment gather to recognize nominees and honor winners in categories such as "Best MLB Player," "Best Team," "Best Female Athlete," and "Best Upset," "Best Breakthrough Athlete" and more. "The ESPYS" showcase inspiring human stories through three pillar awards - the Arthur Ashe Courage Award, the Jimmy V Perseverance Award and the Pat Tillman Award for Service. The show supports ESPN's ongoing commitment to The V Foundation for Cancer Research, launched by ESPN with the late Jim Valvano in 1993.
"The 2016 ESPYS," hosted by WWE Superstar John Cena, will air live on Wednesday, July 13, at 8 p.m. EDT on ABC from Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. Tickets are available for public purchase at AXS.com. For additional ESPYS news and information, please follow the official Twitter handle: @ESPYS. More information can be found in the ESPYS media kit.