ITV and Amazon Studios Announce Casting and Start of Production for Glossy, High-Stakes Family Drama, "Riches"
The series was created and written by Abby Ajayi and produced by Greenacre Films
CULVER CITY, California - November 8, 2021 - ITV, Amazon Studios, and Greenacre Films announced today that production has begun in London on Riches. The six-part drama series, led by a stellar cast, will premiere on ITV in the UK, and will be available on Prime Video in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Nordics, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Riches follows the exploits of the brash, super-successful, and wealthy Richards family. It stars Deborah Ayorinde (Them, Truth Be Told) as Nina, the estranged daughter of self-made millionaire, Stephen Richards, played by Hugh Quarshie (Stephen, Absentia). Sarah Niles (Ted Lasso, I May Destroy You) plays Stephen's second wife, Claudia, Brendan Coyle (Downton Abbey, Requiem) stars as his trusted advisor and confidante, Gideon, and Hermione Norris (Cold Feet, Luther) stars as Stephen's faithful assistant, Maureen Dawson.
The cast also includes Adeyinka Akinrinade (Top Boy, Temple) as Alesha, Ola Orebiyi (Cherry, A Brixton Tale) as Gus, C.J. Beckford (Sitting in Limbo, The Trial of Christine Keeler) as Andre, Nneka Okoye (Grantchester, The A List) as Wanda, and Emmanuel Imani (Cobra, Black Earth Rising) as Simon.
Highly intelligent with an undeniably ruthless streak, Stephen Richards is one of the UK's most successful Black businessmen: Powerful, driven, impassioned, and with a glamourous second wife, Claudia, his life is never dull. Along with their adult children, Alesha, Gus, and Wanda, they love spending their hard-earned cash and enjoying the good life.
In New York, Stephen's estranged children from his first marriage, Nina and Simon, have established themselves as entrepreneurs in their own right, each successful in their own field.
When Stephen suffers a sudden medical emergency, the family's world comes crashing down. As his life hangs in the balance, his different sets of children are about to collide. With secrets and lies rising to the surface and the Richards empire at stake, it's going to be a complicated family reunion.
Creator and writer Abby Ajayi (How To Get Away with Murder, Inventing Anna) said: "Riches is a love letter to Black London and it has been thrilling to create the Richards family and celebrate their opulence, their ambition, and their immigrant grit. Our talented ensemble of actors are a joy and I'm excited to be partnering with Amazon Studios and ITV, and working alongside the powerhouses of Greenacre Films and Monumental Television to bring this show to the screen."
Chris Mansolillo, director and head of content licensing in the U.S. for Prime Video, said: "Abby Ajayi has a distinct vision and voice, and has created a stylish and aspirational drama about a family at war with itself. We can't wait to see the talented cast, led by Deborah Ayorinde and Sarah Niles, bring Abby's fresh perspective to the screen for our Prime Video members."
Polly Hill, head of drama at ITV, who commissioned Riches, said: "Abby's scripts are brilliant, full of family feuds in a world of privilege and power that surprise and entertain. We are delighted with the brilliant cast we have, and can't wait to see them bring Abby's characters to life. It promises to be a real treat for the ITV audience next year."
Greenacre Films' Nadine Marsh-Edwards and Amanda Jenks said: "We are delighted to be working with Polly Hill and ITV to bring Abby Ajayi's brilliant scripts to life, and thrilled to be working with such a great team in Amazon Studios and Monumental Television."
Riches is produced by Greenacre Films in association with Monumental Television, and commissioned by ITV. Amazon Studios is coproducing in the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Nordics, and Sub-Saharan Africa. Nadine Marsh-Edwards (Unsaid Stories, Been So Long) and Amanda Jenks (The Girl, Been So Long) are executive producers for Greenacre Films, and Alison Owen (Ghosts, Harlots, Murder in Provence) and Alison Carpenter (Ghosts, Harlots, Yonderland) are executive producers for Monumental Television. Riches will be produced by Yvonne Francas (The Syndicate, Our Girl, Death in Paradise) and directed by Sebastian Thiel, Abby Ajayi, and Darcia Martin. Banijay Rights will be responsible for international distribution on behalf of Greenacre Films.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of movies, series, and sports - all available to watch on hundreds of compatible devices.
· Included with Prime Video: Watch movies, series and sports, including Thursday Night Football. Enjoy series and films including the newly released Cinderella, the Emmy Award-nominated satirical superhero drama The Boys, limited series The Underground Railroad, and the films Sylvie's Love and Uncle Frank; and the smash hits Coming 2 America, Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, The Tomorrow War, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Upload, and My Spy, as well as Emmy- and Golden Globe-winners Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Golden Globe-winner Small Axe, Academy Award-winner Sound of Metal, Golden Globe-winner and Academy Award-nominee Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, and Academy Award-nominees One Night in Miami... and Time. Prime members also get access to licensed content.
· Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like discovery+, Paramount+, BET+, EPIX, Noggin, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, STARZ, and SHOWTIME - no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
· Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, and special deals just for Prime members.
· Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV.
· Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many shopping and entertainment benefits included with a Prime membership, along with fast, free shipping on millions of Prime-eligible items at Amazon.com, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, and access to ad-free music and Kindle eBooks. To sign up or start a 30-day free trial of Prime, visit: amazon.com/prime.
About Greenacre Films
Greenacre Films is an independent production company founded by award-winning producers Nadine Marsh-Edwards and Amanda Jenks.
"Working with great talent is the key to our success, we are an inclusive space that allows innovative ideas to be realised; whether you are an award-winning writer or an exciting newcomer you feel able to be bold in your vision and creatively ambitious. Our television and film slate aims to connect with both the UK and global audiences and all, at their heart, are stories that explore the human condition in surprising and entertaining ways."
Greenacre films recent television credits include Unsaid Stories for ITV, the feature film BEEN SO LONG (BFI/Film 4) starring Michaela Coel and Arinze Kene which after showcasing at Cannes, a global deal was negotiated with Netflix which at the time was the largest single acquisition of a UK film by the streaming giant. It then premiered at The London Film Festival before launching on the platform in October 2018. They were also executive producers on AKALA'S ODYSSEY (BBC 4) and THE RUINS OF EMPIRE (BBC 2).